Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

Some guys who used to work for Rare are kickstarting a Banjo-Kazooie-alike that's coming to Wii U, the PS4, The Xbox One, and the PC and a couple of people decided to wander in the thread and bitch about how Kickstarters are all bad and only "piss idiots" give them any money, and one jackass even insinuated that any game that doesn't receive traditional publisher funding is a bad game that doesn't deserve to be made. A bunch of other cooler heads disagreed, with the basic gist being "waiting until a game (or other kickstarted product) is actually finished and purchasing it then is perfectly fine, but don't poo poo on people for supporting alternate means of funding game development.

Said discussion lasted a handful of pages.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fair enough, I only mentioned the Wii U release specifically as context for why we were having the Kickstarter discussion in this thread of all places.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Wii-U can't even lay claim to being the Exclusive home to The Legend of Kay: 10th Anniversary Edition anymore. No they decided to port that to other systems as well.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Junpei Hyde posted:

What is a hem?

nothing's what's hem with you

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Wii-U can't even lay claim to being the Exclusive home to The Legend of Kay: 10th Anniversary Edition anymore. No they decided to port that to other systems as well.

We'll always have Flavored Cats.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

greatn posted:

We'll always have Flavored Cats.
Meme run was also never ported to any other systems before it got pulled, right? :ohdear:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Renting Captain Toad! Supercute!

Except there's no option to reverse the Zl and Zr camera buttons? That's rather uncute. Goddamnit Nintendo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

James Woods Fan posted:

Wait so is the new Kirby good or not?

I'm fairly sure that bad Kirby games aren't a thing that exist

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Squeak Squad is the closest you'll get to a bad Kirby game and even then, it's more aggressively mediocre than bad.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Wii U week 3 report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YShuA1hWI

I was having trouble getting into 3D World, but now I'm addicted. Tropical Freeze owns as well. Now to decide between Pikmin 3 and Hyrule Warriors...

Anyways, is Splatoon going to have local 4 player modes?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Everyone loves Kirby air ride so just play that.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have tropical freeze but need to find my external. Also really makes me want some loving sno cones.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Earth Table posted:

Anyways, is Splatoon going to have local 4 player modes?

Doesn't look like it. We've only seen a 1 on 1 mode shown off for local.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doesn't look like it. We've only seen a 1 on 1 mode shown off for local.

That's a real shame. MK8 reminded me how great 4 players in the room together is. Oh well. I'm still looking forward to it, if only to see a new Nintendo IP..

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is world 4 of tropical freeze the water world that people don't want to play through because the whole thing was baller. every set piece owned

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Played all of the DLC tracks in Mario Kart 8 this afternoon. They were all real good, very well done tracks. I like all of the new characters too.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oddium posted:

is world 4 of tropical freeze the water world that people don't want to play through because the whole thing was baller. every set piece owned

My problem with the water world in Tropical Freeze is the water controls. They left a good impression on me when you merely had to swim briefly in the first few worlds, but when it comes to an entire world devoted around this gameplay mechanic, I don't feel it gives me the level of control I would like from it.

also oxygen

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Played all of the DLC tracks in Mario Kart 8 this afternoon. They were all real good, very well done tracks. I like all of the new characters too.

I like most of them but Cheese Land is kinda dumb, I dunno why they brought back another lame desert track. And I was hella disappointed when Super Bell Subway didn't have a 3D World remix.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Have you tried 200 cc yet? That poo poo is the best. I just tried it this morning after I beat all the regular non dlc cups on 150 and I actually won most of my races.

While clenching my rear end in a top hat around every corner.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Natron posted:

Have you tried 200 cc yet? That poo poo is the best. I just tried it this morning after I beat all the regular non dlc cups on 150 and I actually won most of my races.

While clenching my rear end in a top hat around every corner.

I haven't yet, but I will do it maybe later today. It looks real fun.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kaubocks posted:

My problem with the water world in Tropical Freeze is the water controls. They left a good impression on me when you merely had to swim briefly in the first few worlds, but when it comes to an entire world devoted around this gameplay mechanic, I don't feel it gives me the level of control I would like from it.

also oxygen

Apparently the water world and mechanics actually are really fun for speed runners but I think those are about the only people who like it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mario Kart 8 really is the system seller. I know it was for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Mario Kart 8 really is the system seller. I know it was for me.

It was Bayonetta for me, but MK8 was a close second.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I literally bought a Wii Ufor the MK8 bundle

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone have tips on how to control the camera for Captain Toad. I dig the game's aesthetic and the level design is fun, but I'm just CONSTANTLY fighting the camera. What's the ideal setup? Use the right stick and R to dash?

And is there no way to turn off the gyro controls? I keep getting frustrated at the awful camera, rage shake the gamepad and end up loving myself up even further.

Went back to 3d World and attempted to beat the World Crown Toad stage. gently caress whoever thought that ANYTHING time sensitive should be tied to tapping the mic button on the gamepad. Twat.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 4, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is ZombiU worth checking out?

It seems to be dirt cheap everywhere and I'm somewhat cool with roguelikes but also always loved Wii games that made best use of what the console was made for.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ZombiU owns assuming you know it's not supposed to be like Left 4 Dead or something which a lot of reviewers seemed to think going into it

Even though it was a launch title it's probably still the game that uses the gamepad in the coolest way. I hope we get Zombi2 someday (we won't)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

jivjov posted:

Some guys who used to work for Rare are kickstarting a Banjo-Kazooie-alike that's coming to Wii U (among other platforms), and a couple of people decided to wander in the thread and bitch about how Kickstarters are all bad and only "piss idiots" give them any money, and one jackass even insinuated that any game that doesn't receive traditional publisher funding is a bad game that doesn't deserve to be made. A bunch of other cooler heads disagreed, with the basic gist being "waiting until a game (or other kickstarted product) is actually finished and purchasing it then is perfectly fine, but don't poo poo on people for supporting alternate means of funding game development.

Said discussion lasted a handful of pages.

They literally asked for a fake amount of money with the intention people would donate 10-20x as much so they could actually have a budget and hire staff and finish a game in 2-3 years.

Peter Molyneux did it, Doublefine did it, people seem to like and support this behaviour for some reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

zolthorg posted:

They literally asked for a fake amount of money with the intention people would donate 10-20x as much so they could actually have a budget and hire staff and finish a game in 2-3 years.

Peter Molyneux did it, Doublefine did it, people seem to like and support this behaviour for some reason.

If you look in their risks and challenges section; you'll see that they planned on making the game even if the Kickstarter funding didn't happen at all. The money from Kickstarter is just to make things bigger and better. Also...how can an amount of money be "fake"? Perhaps you feel it would be insufficient, but it appears that they were willing to self-finance a smaller, less robust game if the crowd funding didn't come through.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

zolthorg posted:

You're like that kid in elementary school that keeps going "Santa Clause isn't real ya know, GOD"

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

You're like that kid in elementary school that keeps going "Santa Clause isn't real ya know, GOD"

so he's correct?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

zolthorg posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to argue here, but you're using some pretty damp matches to try to light that fire.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Breadallelogram posted:

so he's correct?

I think Macaluso was implying that zolthorg is going out of his way to try and make everyone as cynical and depressing as him.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Snuffman posted:

Is ZombiU worth checking out?

It seems to be dirt cheap everywhere and I'm somewhat cool with roguelikes but also always loved Wii games that made best use of what the console was made for.

Sounds like you'll like it but there's a demo on the eShop if you want to be sure.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

zolthorg posted:

People don't support or endorse devs who do that, they just have no frame of reference so they don't know how much things cost or where their money will actually go (and nor do many developers, to be fair). There's also the issue of people getting hyper-critical whenever devs propose spending money on things they feel aren't worth the expense, like "rent" and "food", so devs just lie or obfuscate their budgets to omit anything that might set people off.

I didn't really follow anything DF did beyond Broken Age but I don't think they specifically lowballed the price with the expectation that they'd shatter their goal, it was more that they got a ton of money that they weren't expecting which just amplified all their usual dumb practices. Molyneux definitely pulled that poo poo but even his situation was different because a) he was struggling right up to the end, and b) he'd made arrangements for external funding either way.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sounds like you'll like it but there's a demo on the eShop if you want to be sure.

Oh cool, didn't know that. I'll check that out. :)

For all Nintendo got right, they really took a step back with the WiiU virtual store. The Wii Virtual store was better organized!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

zolthorg posted:

why are you so mad about this video game

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Snuffman posted:

Oh cool, didn't know that. I'll check that out. :)

For all Nintendo got right, they really took a step back with the WiiU virtual store. The Wii Virtual store was better organized!

Are you god drat insane.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jivjov posted:

If you look in their risks and challenges section; you'll see that they planned on making the game even if the Kickstarter funding didn't happen at all. The money from Kickstarter is just to make things bigger and better. Also...how can an amount of money be "fake"? Perhaps you feel it would be insufficient, but it appears that they were willing to self-finance a smaller, less robust game if the crowd funding didn't come through.

So much for the argument that games don't get made unless they are kickstarted then. Like jesus christ, this was the whole reason some of you had a meltdown over what I was saying last night, now it turns out you were just trolling. Not even surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

greatn posted:

Are you god drat insane.

Perhaps? I dunno, I found the Wii store easier to navigate. That said, I was usually just looking for classic games under the [Insert Classic Console Title Here] option.

I'm a bad digital game supporter. :(

• Locked thread