Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

Wait, this guy on stream right now is the Pro Tour emo writer?

Well now I know who to root against at least.

This guy would be lucky to put out an album on Count Your Lucky Stars records, at best he's the Pro Tour Complainer Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Xeom posted:

So should I even bother updating my mono red heroic to this new RDW variant?

If you don't want to buy Fetches and stuff, I wouldn't blame you (though the fetches might still be useful after rotation). However, if you're looking to stick with Mono-Red, then this is a version I've been using with success.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I'm thinking of running something like this, without any rabblemasters.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9638&f=ST

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
What's the ultimate Modern control deck? Like the controllesty, draw-goin'est thing there is? I'm thinking hard about getting into Modern and that's the direction I want to go.

Is it Twin?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

End of Life Guy posted:

What's the ultimate Modern control deck? Like the controllesty, draw-goin'est thing there is? I'm thinking hard about getting into Modern and that's the direction I want to go.

Is it Twin?

Jeskai with Colonnade as the wincon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Jeskai with Colonnade as the wincon.

This and it's also really bad right now so don't play it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

End of Life Guy posted:

Is it Twin?

It's a deck called 0-X drop and it's really well positioned in the metagame to allow you the maximum time to get in other activities after you sign another loss slip

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

Stark's Mardu Dragons deck looks like the most interesting thing at this gp.

Anybody have a decklist for this?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

rabidsquid posted:

It's a deck called 0-X drop and it's really well positioned in the metagame to allow you the maximum time to get in other activities after you sign another loss slip

Really? That's a shame. What about the most fun deck then? That Puresteel Paladin / 0-drop Equipment deck looks like a blast.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

End of Life Guy posted:

Really? That's a shame. What about the most fun deck then? That Puresteel Paladin / 0-drop Equipment deck looks like a blast.

If you don't care about top decks there are a ton of really fun Modern decks. Depending on what it is you like about control you might enjoy playing some form of Tron, there's a mono blue list that runs Wurmcoil Engine and Treasure Mage that is kind of neat to mess around with.

I haven't played the Puresteel deck but I really enjoyed messing around with it in Standard.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

End of Life Guy posted:

It's fun but a lot weaker than the already not great Legacy version because it has to play a real mana base and its engine is a WW 2/2 that has to survive rather than a G sorcery that just has to resolve.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

End of Life Guy posted:

As was said above, Blue Tron is a ton of fun while being decent to strong against the field. It doesn't really have any terrible matchups, at least not that I've run into, but there are a lot of 40/60-60/40 matchups.

As far as control decks go I've had pretty good luck with RUG control. That's a pretty old list that I haven't actually played since September when I won a 5-round Modern Monday. The only changes I've made since then are adding 3 Dig Through Time, removing 3 Dig Through Time, and changing the 2 sideboard Combust into 2 Rending Volley. The Pillar of Flame should probably be something else now that Pod isn't really a thing. Maybe a Roast. You might be able to fit in some Anticipates or something, and I don't hate the idea of an Academy Ruins.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

End of Life Guy posted:

Living End is the most fun because you draw 20 cards a game and have instant speed wrath and then get to beat people to death with cards you played in draft 5 years ago.

It's also dirt cheap if you bought all the cards 4 years ago like I did. Fulminator Mages and the mana base are the only expensive cards in it though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sigma-X posted:

Living End is the most fun because you draw 20 cards a game and have instant speed wrath and then get to beat people to death with cards you played in draft 5 years ago.

It's also dirt cheap if you bought all the cards 4 years ago like I did. Fulminator Mages and the mana base are the only expensive cards in it though.

Or if you want to be dumber, funner, and spend more money on Living End you play this variant: http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-lsv-modern-living-twin/

who doesnt want to win by putting Splinter Twin on Jungle Weaver

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Anticipate helps control decks a significant amount. Most esper builds I've seen recently are running 3 or 4, replacing think twice's.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

PV took down the GP with dragons it looks like.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

As was said above, Blue Tron is a ton of fun while being decent to strong against the field. It doesn't really have any terrible matchups, at least not that I've run into, but there are a lot of 40/60-60/40 matchups.

Affinity is a really bad matchup for U Tron that's quite common, Merfolk is less common but is close to stone unwinnable.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Tron you're disadvantaged against, but you get to sideboard Hurkyl's Recall and Chalice of the Void (not quite as good, but hey). Against Merfolk your matchup is just rear end, that deck is all the things you don't want to see. UW Tron is better against the aggressive matchups (with wraths, Elesh Norn, and Ghostly Prison), but I don't like the general potency of its game-winners quite as much compared to U Tron's package.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

Or if you want to be dumber, funner, and spend more money on Living End you play this variant: http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-lsv-modern-living-twin/

who doesnt want to win by putting Splinter Twin on Jungle Weaver

"I'm not going to play the Deadshot- Errr, sorry I'm not going to cycle the Deceiver Exarch"

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

End of Life Guy posted:

Mono Red Tron with Trash for Treasure and Trading Post

Collected Company Elves

goryo's vengeance with Narset to chain Fury of the Hordes

suicide zoo

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

Please tell me their is a list for this because that is my poo poo right there

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

UW Tron is better against the aggressive matchups (with wraths, Elesh Norn, and Ghostly Prison), but I don't like the general potency of its game-winners quite as much compared to U Tron's package.
Gifts tron is more reliable than U tron in my experience. Iona is as good a finisher as any in most situations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
So, I'm assuming we're getting spoilers starting first thing in the AM.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The correct Modern deck to play is always Hatebears because you get to play Leonin Arbiter on turn 2 and just win sometimes

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

End of Life Guy posted:

If you like control and money isn't a real thing to you, Fabiano had an interesting Sultai control deck at SCG Baltimore that did really well. Also Jeff Hoogland had a Temur Moon deck, which is a blood moon vedalkin shackles controlling type deck. Pure draw go isn't great. It is better than something like Puresteel paladin combo though, by a country mile. If you want to play draw go, do it. The expensive stuff, cryptics, lands, can mostly translate right to UR Twin when you are ready to play a tier 1 deck, if ever.

WyvernSlayer
Apr 22, 2009

Some Knucklehead

AgentSythe posted:

I have been trying for years to make Trading Post a thing. Please tell me there's a list for this somewhere.

Even if the M.O. is "durdle -> scoop"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

WyvernSlayer posted:

I have been trying for years to make Trading Post a thing. Please tell me there's a list for this somewhere.

Even if the M.O. is "durdle -> scoop"

This is my friend's list that he's been pretty successful with. Obviously it's black insteadof red, but it's pretty good.

I know he added an Ugin and was thinking about dropping the 2nd Karn and going to 2 Ugin.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Tron you're disadvantaged against, but you get to sideboard Hurkyl's Recall and Chalice of the Void (not quite as good, but hey). Against Merfolk your matchup is just rear end, that deck is all the things you don't want to see. UW Tron is better against the aggressive matchups (with wraths, Elesh Norn, and Ghostly Prison), but I don't like the general potency of its game-winners quite as much compared to U Tron's package.

There's nothing more enjoyable than playing a Sundering Titan with counter magic up and watching them concede when you blow up three of their lands.

Edit: Also call me slow as poo poo but I think the fact you can play Karn Liberated at 7 mana which is the same amount you make with a full set of Urza Lands is an adorable callback :3:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 4, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
^^^
Count, I was at your local store yesterday for a legacy tounry that only had 11 show up to try to win a pack foil Jitte...

I might have just not played against good pilots but I always found any U version of Tron to be a joke and GR Tron to by scary as hell since their good draw beats pretty much anything.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

I might have just not played against good pilots but I always found any U version of Tron to be a joke and GR Tron to by scary as hell since their good draw beats pretty much anything.

Most U Tron players are newer to Modern because it's one of the "cheap entry" modern decks. I started with U Tron and Merfolk, and I really think U Tron is fine, it's main issue is that it kind of just folds to hard aggro like Burn. Infect, and Affinity, all of which are pretty well positioned right now.

So you almost never see the deck off of MTGO.

Edit: Man now I really want to play Red Tron now that we've been talking about Urza's-Pet-Project.dek

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

There's nothing more enjoyable than playing a Sundering Titan with counter magic up and watching them concede when you blow up three of their lands.

Edit: ^^^ I've never actually lost to burn and infect I've only lost to when I draw really badly. Game 1 tends to be slightly unfavorable but game 2 and 3 get much better.

I was playing online the other day against BUG something or other and Sundered 3 of his lands. He untapped, played Sower and stole my Sundering Titan, which I Repealed on my turn. It was pretty great.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 4, 2015

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Count Bleck posted:

Most U Tron players are newer to Modern because it's one of the "cheap entry" modern decks. I started with U Tron and Merfolk, and I really think U Tron is fine, it's main issue is that it kind of just folds to hard aggro like Burn. Infect, and Affinity, all of which are pretty well positioned right now.

So you almost never see the deck off of MTGO.

Edit: Man now I really want to play Red Tron now that we've been talking about Urza's-Pet-Project.dek

I'm just getting into modern and have G Stompy and U Tron in paper as a couple budget decks. I wanted to be able to play and figure out the local meta before throwing down a large chunk of cash on a T1 deck.

Being able to turn 3 Ugin or Sundering Titan on occasion is just a bonus.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DarkRider09 posted:

I'm just getting into modern and have G Stompy and U Tron in paper as a couple budget decks. I wanted to be able to play and figure out the local meta before throwing down a large chunk of cash on a T1 deck.

Being able to turn 3 Ugin or Sundering Titan on occasion is just a bonus.

Good time to be getting into Tron since Karn and the Eldrazi are PROBABLY going to drop in price a decent amount in the next month or so.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Good time to be getting into Tron since Karn and the Eldrazi are PROBABLY going to drop in price a decent amount in the next month or so.

My real hope is a reprint of Urza Lands in MM15; I don't give a gently caress it they makes Drafting Tron and that it never works I just want new updated shiny art for them.

Adjust your projects to my needs, Wizards! :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

My real hope is a reprint of Urza Lands in MM15; I don't give a gently caress it they makes Drafting Tron and that it never works I just want new updated shiny art for them.

Adjust your projects to my needs, Wizards! :argh:

Were you at the legacy tourney for the Foil Jitte yesterday at Close Encounters?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Were you at the legacy tourney for the Foil Jitte yesterday at Close Encounters?

No, I went to Jiffy Photo under a pretense and lack of sleep that people would actually show up for standard, bumbled around for an hour, bought some pieces for Modern Burn, and went home :haw:

I don't play Legacy because I don't have a deck for it, but if I did, it'd be Miracles and nobody would want to play Legacy with me.

Edit: They're running a 1v1 EDH tournament for a Grim Tutor on Sunday but I'm probably not going to that either, because A) 1v1 EDH For Prizes, 2) I play Norin, a multiplayer deck.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 4, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

No, I went to Jiffy Photo under a pretense and lack of sleep that people would actually show up for standard, bumbled around for an hour, bought some pieces for Modern Burn, and went home :haw:

I don't play Legacy because I don't have a deck for it, but if I did, it'd be Miracles and nobody would want to play Legacy with me.
Edit: They're running a 1v1 EDH tournament for a Grim Tutor on Sunday but I'm probably not going to that either, because A) 1v1 EDH For Prizes, 2) I play Norin, a multiplayer deck.
I don't play EDH but I'll be there at the end of the month for their IQ. They have the best standard singles selection of any store in NJ. I just hate that they don't sell online. Other than that it's a great store.

Lots of Miracles in the room yesterday which I love as a Jund player. I've never been to Jiffy but they have pretty cheap drafts right?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Lots of Miracles in the room yesterday which I love as a Jund player. I've never been to Jiffy but they have pretty cheap drafts right?

FNM is 10 dollar drafts, as is Sunday afternoon after standard, yeah.

Pretty good prices for draft, I wish it wasn't as cramped in there though.

They have a pretty good standard selection, I just can't seem to find what I need from there when it comes to anything else. I asked for Goblin Guides and they haven't had any in a while.

That'll probably change if it's in MM15, though. Which is what I'm holding store cred for.

vvvv: I'm not sure if they'll be doing 10 dollar drafts for MM15, I'd wager it'd be around 20-25 if they do keep it at a deduction.

They're preordering boxes at $220 instead of the actual price if you're into that sort of thing with $25 down.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

FNM is 10 dollar drafts, as is Sunday afternoon after standard, yeah.

Pretty good prices for draft, I wish it wasn't as cramped in there though.

I'll keep that in mind since I'm sure i will need to get my MM15 draft fix more times than my local store will draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

suicidesteve posted:

This is my friend's list that he's been pretty successful with. Obviously it's black insteadof red, but it's pretty good.

I know he added an Ugin and was thinking about dropping the 2nd Karn and going to 2 Ugin.

I'm actually about to build this list, because I need a new fringey Modern deck to play with. How does he feel about Sudden Death vs. Hero's Downfall? I get that SD is a split second answer to Twin, but there's a lot of planeswalker-y stuff around my local meta, so I might like to gain some points against them...

Count Bleck posted:

I like this idea - Banefire is one of the only win conditions that has meaningful advantages over Emrakul + Ulamog - but that list needs a lot of Solemn Simulacrums polishing, I think.

• Locked thread