Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well they are incarcerated prisoners :v:. Seriously though, I'd wager they probably are considering the series isn't all that long.

I like that Nightow apologized to them in the volume that has them on the cover because they aren't in it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I think Chain and Zapp are my favorite things about this show, I wish Chain got some more screen time she's pretty funny.

Also a thousand points to the show for the Twins parody hahaha.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Razzled posted:

I think Chain and Zapp are my favorite things about this show, I wish Chain got some more screen time she's pretty funny.

Also a thousand points to the show for the Twins parody hahaha.

Chain gets a story focusing around her in Volume 5 or 6 of the manga, I can't remember which off the top of my head.

Actually, a question in regard to that story while I remember; what was the Absolute Thing that would bring her back into existence?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

Also, I really liked that one blue octopus dude who clapped when Chain and Zapp saved Leo.

There's another guy sitting by Zapp who also claps.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

best episode so far. really warming up to this show. had a huge smile on my face the entire episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real FLCL vibes from Leo riding on Zapp's scooter at the start.

lol I almost called Zapp Chipp. :v:

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Chain gets a story focusing around her in Volume 5 or 6 of the manga, I can't remember which off the top of my head.

Actually, a question in regard to that story while I remember; what was the Absolute Thing that would bring her back into existence?

It's her fear of anyone (or maybe Steven in particular, it's a little unclear) seeing what a mess her apartment is - she pulled herself back from non-existence to desperately try and clean it up before he came in.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

There's another guy sitting by Zapp who also claps.

Went back and saw that the giraffe-neck alien dude on the other side of the street clapped too.

I still like blue octopus dude better.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I'm also much too young for her, so I had to cancel the love letter I was planning on writing.

Life is suffering.
How old are you anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One nice surprise about this show is that the milquetoast protagonist's anime-original romance subplot isn't an unwelcome distraction from the rest of the show. It's just a different, more low-key kind of fun that's well-integrated with all the bombastic mayhem.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

How old are you anyway?

That's rude to ask.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A gentleman never asks and a lady never tells.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yes it is. But I had to understand the meaning of your post, so I could cheer you up.

Just like this episode did.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
The anime original stuff is surprisingly entertaining, I'm enjoying Leo's character thanks to these scenes, and White isn't too bad herself. Still a bit of a mystery but I wonder where exactly BONES will split off for their own ending. And just like the previous posts I'm going to jizz about the backgrounds again. Shinji Kimura doing backgrounds was really apparent this episode.. that guy is a legend. Really looking forward to see if Chain and Zed get their own episodes. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of his ending bit with White, I absolutely loved those quick cuts when Leo was running up to White's room, and then back down to his scooter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

One nice surprise about this show is that the milquetoast protagonist's anime-original romance subplot isn't an unwelcome distraction from the rest of the show. It's just a different, more low-key kind of fun that's well-integrated with all the bombastic mayhem.

I'll second that I'm really liking the Leo/White stuff, even for an anime original. It's not overplayed and feels like it fits right in with the show's world, and it adds a nice element to Leo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I actually like Leo as a character, so I'm glad they didn't cut the mushroom man story coming up, it's a good bit that's focused all on him and it being a shorter story without a big action scene means they can do more original writing for the comedy.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

chumbler posted:

I'll second that I'm really liking the Leo/White stuff, even for an anime original. It's not overplayed and feels like it fits right in with the show's world, and it adds a nice element to Leo.

I'm planning on picking up the manga once I've moved so I dont have to ship it and I'm kinda dissapointed she's not in the manga. I really like their dynamic.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I love superhero shows and will be picking this up ofc. The small references to irl NYC is always fun too. Not sure why exactly but I always like seeing NY represented in anime :v:

Ep. 1 is very engaging and managed to not infodump even with ongoing character intros. Bones always does nice work with action scenes and this is no exception. Debating if I want to read the manga or just follow anime to reduce spoilers.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alder posted:

I love superhero shows and will be picking this up ofc. The small references to irl NYC is always fun too. Not sure why exactly but I always like seeing NY represented in anime :v:

Ep. 1 is very engaging and managed to not infodump even with ongoing character intros. Bones always does nice work with action scenes and this is no exception. Debating if I want to read the manga or just follow anime to reduce spoilers.

There aren't any spoilers really because each episode/chapter is standalone and the only overarching elements are the anime original bits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alder posted:

The manga's a great read and the anime's a little rushed. It's a really, really good adaptation, but it's missing a bunch of details for certain events/characters.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The manga's a great read and the anime's a little rushed. It's a really, really good adaptation, but it's missing a bunch of details for certain events/characters.

I'd say it's cutting out a lot of extraneous information in service of a cohesive style, which is more important.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

I'd say it's cutting out a lot of extraneous information in service of a cohesive style, which is more important.

Except a lot of them show just how important/bad certain characters are. They go consult a big-rear end book as to what's hopping through the city trying to find its other half, and it turns out it's not just some random monster but a nigh-unkillable-god-level demon that Femt managed to take the time to bisect and keep alive. As well as, y'know, not get killed by it himself. Or just exactly how lucky Lucky Abrahms truly is. There's an argument for cutting detail for a better flow, but BBB's only real flaw is it's cutting stuff that takes a brief sentence or two to explain and is kinda important.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except a lot of them show just how important/bad certain characters are. They go consult a big-rear end book as to what's hopping through the city trying to find its other half, and it turns out it's not just some random monster but a nigh-unkillable-god-level demon that Femt managed to take the time to bisect and keep alive. As well as, y'know, not get killed by it himself. Or just exactly how lucky Lucky Abrahms truly is. There's an argument for cutting detail for a better flow, but BBB's only real flaw is it's cutting stuff that takes a brief sentence or two to explain and is kinda important.

I think they showed how lucky lucky is pretty well, and in a funny way. I would be very concerned by somebody who didn't get that he was lucky, the only thing they cut was the specific and exact reasoning for why he is lucky.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's the definition of extraneous. It doesn't really add anything to the comedy or the snappy speed with which it cuts and jumps around.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Of the five episodes that have aired so far, four was the only one I felt lost something in transition, for which the solution would've been to remove the OP in favor of an extra minute's worth of content. The fifth episode I actually think was improved. They've done a good job.

That said, my opinion may sour if they choose to completely skip Day In, Day Out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

That's the definition of extraneous. It doesn't really add anything to the comedy or the snappy speed with which it cuts and jumps around.

Yeah, and a lot of those extra details are what make BBB so drat good. Like Elder Vampires. They're not just mere cursed humans, something has actively scrawled complex magic code onto the very DNA of thirteen people to make them into Elder Vampires, which means there's something even worse than them out there. Granted it's a minor detail, but it's still relevant to the reveal at the end of looking down into the Beyond and seeing a sea of crimson.

Bad Seafood posted:

Of the five episodes that have aired so far, four was the only one I felt lost something in transition, for which the solution would've been to remove the OP in favor of an extra minute's worth of content. The fifth episode I actually think was improved. They've done a good job.

That said, my opinion may sour if they choose to completely skip Day In, Day Out.

I agree, though I think the fifth still needed the detail of the truck actively headed for Pandora Asylum (which was her whole point of using the thing) because she thought they were still inside rather than just "hunting down Doug and Brody".

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

They're not going to show Zap getting high on ultra demon weed. It won't happen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The truth hurts but I am here to deliver it to you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

They're not going to show Zap getting high on ultra demon weed. It won't happen.

So it's just a cat hunt with Zap and Leo instead :shrug:. You were the one just going on about extraneous details getting cut.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So it's just a cat hunt with Zap and Leo instead :shrug:. You were the one just going on about extraneous details getting cut.

Weed is not extraneous.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It is vital.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Chronic is water and air and life and blood.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You envision a world where dope rear end demon weed isn't central and I shun you for it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I mock you for it, I scoff at you for it, I deny you for it.

You've made an enemy today, and this issue will only be settled with blood.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I agree, though I think the fifth still needed the detail of the truck actively headed for Pandora Asylum (which was her whole point of using the thing) because she thought they were still inside rather than just "hunting down Doug and Brody".
Yeah, now that you mention it. On the other hand, I really don't mind them downplaying the warden.

Sharkopath posted:

I think I was the first person in the thread to point out it might get cut for that reason, but Samurai Champloo got away with it so I'm holding out for hope.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it. On the other hand, I really don't mind them downplaying the warden.
I think I was the first person in the thread to point out it might get cut for that reason, but Samurai Champloo got away with it so I'm holding out for hope.

I'll actually be glad it got cut if it means we can get all the way up to Chain's Adventure instead, that would be a really cool story to see animated. Probably not though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I don't mind the lack of the Warden either. She only really exists in the manga as an obstacle to getting Doug and Brody out for the day for whatever they're needed to fight.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I don't mind the lack of the Warden either. She only really exists in the manga as an obstacle to getting Doug and Brody out for the day for whatever they're needed to fight.
I'd be for keeping it if it were a running gag or something, like Klaus is always coming down to break out some top tier security threat because REASONS and the warden is always opposing him with fancier and fancier final forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd be for keeping it if it were a running gag or something, like Klaus is always coming down to break out some top tier security threat because REASONS and the warden is always opposing him with fancier and fancier final forms.

Oh agreed, but again we're only in this for a single cour :sigh:. I really, really hope it gets a second one.

• Locked thread