Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wel, the video itself is the old VGX trailer that said "in-game footage", and a lot of those scenes look like they're gameplay.

Somebody went and made an album out of the scenes from that trailer compared to the newer stuff we're getting from streams.

I'm actually more disappointed that it looks like they changed the design for that one guy in the spikey armour. He looks rad as heck in the trailer but just kinda "meh" in the game.

That imgur album is disingenuous to the max, it shouldn't even be linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone who believes promotional videos re: graphical quality is a loving idiot, see Watch Dogs E3.

Roshnak posted:

Ok, I see what you were saying. Yeah, the difference is that those effects are intentionally added to try to mimic film and not artifacts of the way that video games are rendered.

Yeah phrasing it as VFX devs, even if it is technically their fault, was a poor choice.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oh no the game still looks better than everything else out right now.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
The animations are pretty clearly the same for the two foreground characters, and the Hunt King in the back has probably just been changed to another Hunt regular for story purposes. The geometry is mostly the same, even foliage. Depth of Field change is present in the old footage, and removed for the May one. Daylight has been changed but it's possible the cutscene is differently lit based on what time of day it is or just changed for some other aesthetic reason. I don't like that it's not night anymore but I haven't played the game yet so it'd be dumb to flip out about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr E posted:

Oh no the game still looks better than everything else out right now.

More like, oh no the game looks terrible at low resolutions and jpg artifacting.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Drifter posted:

More like, oh no the game looks terrible at low resolutions and jpg artifacting.

Well that too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr E posted:

Well that too.

Nobody was complaining that it looked too good. People are dorks.

Comte, how about you just give us some game codes so we can see for ourselves that it's a nice looking game? You know us, it's totally cool, man.

:unsmigghh:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm actually more disappointed that it looks like they changed the design for that one guy in the spikey armour. He looks rad as heck in the trailer but just kinda "meh" in the game.

Pretty sure that's the King. And yeah when I saw his new armour I too was disappointed but I think CDPR know what they're doing; firstly it's a lot more practical in terms of armour, remember (book and TW2 spoilers) the Wild Hunt are not really wraiths but an elven battalion, the "Red Riders" - cavalrymen in actual armour (and his new set is red in places) and secondly some of the screenshots of his new armour just really don't do it justice. If you look at the concept art of his old armour he looks kind of ridiculous:

But in a shot like this I think his new set looks pretty rad:

Baiard posted:

The animations are pretty clearly the same for the two foreground characters, and the Hunt King in the back has probably just been changed to another Hunt regular for story purposes.

Nope, pretty sure that's his new design. His 'official' image thing:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
oh man, i liked his old armour. thats really the only change to be annoyed with.

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
Hopefully that model is preserved somewhere and could be modded back in the game, r-right?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Obviously didn't happen, but I want to believe someone told the artists they were cribbing from Berserk a bit too much. :allears:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Tony_Montana posted:

Hopefully that model is preserved somewhere and could be modded back in the game, r-right?

usually. old pre-release footage of witcher 2 had geralt in this sweet armour but once the game was release it was no where to be found, turns out it was still in the game and you could easily change a jacket to look like it.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I guess his previous armor was a little too fantastical, but his backstory might as well give him free reign to look like he stepped right out of World of Warcraft/Berserk if he wants to. That was some badass armor.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Robutt posted:

If you look at the concept art of his old armour he looks kind of ridiculous:

OR HE LOOKS loving AWESOME! That's some loving awesome otherworldly armor there. Hope at least some of it made it in game.

I'm interested to see what CDPR's stance on this "downgrade" is. They're pretty involved with the community and I'd love to see if they can sate the savage nerds.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Obviously didn't happen, but I want to believe someone told the artists they were cribbing from Berserk a bit too much. :allears:

The first thing I thought of when seeing The King "Oh hey, it's Gaiseric". I fully doubt it is intentional, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the concept artists were familiar with Berserk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm interested to see what CDPR's stance on this "downgrade" is. They're pretty involved with the community and I'd love to see if they can sate the savage nerds.

If I were them my stance would be "feel free to cancel your pre-order if you want; we're proud of the game and think it looks awesome".

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, it does.

Here's a 1.88Gb "uncompressed" (it's compressed but not YouTube compressed) 1080-60FPS video of the cargo quest. Same one you've seen already but without YouTube's poo poo on it. It. Looks. loving. Amazing.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Trigger Warning: Reddit Link

Pubbies and their loving SweetFX. I bet this guy considers himself a modder now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

Pubbies and their loving SweetFX. I bet this guy considers himself a modder now.

Wait, they painted over some jpegs? Is that what's going on?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Pretty much. Reminds me of pubbies and D3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well to be fair, the ones on the left look like zoomed out screenshots from WoW to me.

I don't play Wow, so I don't really have any element of reference, but it's what I imagine it looking like.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Archimago posted:

SweetFX? Looks to me like he's just fiddled with the darkness/contrast on a screenshot.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Failed - No file

The site showed 100% completion but it didn't seem to properly save the file. Strange downloader that one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i hope the cut scenes in witcher 3 aren't a series of 2 second clips with loading screens in between like lots of parts of w2 had.

loading screen
unfurl the main sail!
loading screen

smh

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Archimago posted:

Drifter posted:

Wait, they painted over some jpegs? Is that what's going on?

Robutt posted:

SweetFX? Looks to me like he's just fiddled with the darkness/contrast on a screenshot.

Hey guys, I figured out gamma!

Section 31 posted:

Failed - No file

The site showed 100% completion but it didn't seem to properly save the file. Strange downloader that one.

Seems to be working for me, I just got it.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Seems to be working for me, I just got it.
Did it prompt to save the file after 100% completion?

I used search function on my laptop but still couldn't find it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Section 31 posted:

Did it prompt to save the file after 100% completion?

I used search function on my laptop but still couldn't find it.

In Chrome it just downloaded itself after hitting 100%.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had no trouble getting it. And drat this game looks so good. I'm on a 780 and so am just planning to run it at whatever setting gets me 60fps at 1080p and even if that is high or normal I have no doubt this is going to be the nicest looking game I've ever played.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

The first thing I thought of when seeing The King "Oh hey, it's Gaiseric". I fully doubt it is intentional, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the concept artists were familiar with Berserk.

Don't forget the aborted fetus demon too. Also, Gaiseric isn't 100% confirmed Skull Knight though all evidence seems to suggest it.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Okay I finally got it after using different browser.

Great looking, but still that bald guy near the end cast no shadow :v: :v: :v:

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010

Deaderinred posted:

usually. old pre-release footage of witcher 2 had geralt in this sweet armour but once the game was release it was no where to be found, turns out it was still in the game and you could easily change a jacket to look like it.

That's the good thing about not being able to play on release -having mods ready to improve aspects of the game when I start playing-.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Robutt posted:

Pretty sure that's the King. And yeah when I saw his new armour I too was disappointed but I think CDPR know what they're doing; firstly it's a lot more practical in terms of armour, remember (book and TW2 spoilers) the Wild Hunt are not really wraiths but an elven battalion, the "Red Riders" - cavalrymen in actual armour (and his new set is red in places) and secondly some of the screenshots of his new armour just really don't do it justice. If you look at the concept art of his old armour he looks kind of ridiculous:

The second one makes him look like Fat-Skeleton-Henselt.

I want Fat-Skeleton-Henselt.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah me too! That image by the way is of various Wild Hunt members as I've definitely seen the first guy in some trailers so I'm assuming all of those armours are for various lieutenants of the King. So with his costume change hopefully they've reused that armour on one of his lackeys.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
"Downgrade" is not a part of the development process, it's entirely made-up by people who have never worked in dev and have no idea how anything actually works. Not speaking specifically of our game, but the thing is that promotional stuff is fake, it's always been fake and will always be fake. But it's not like, completely made up bullshit. It's saying, "Hey, this is what we think the game will look like when it comes out, but obviously we can't show you what it will actually look like, because it's not loving done yet."

People are taking stuff from *years* before release and getting worked up about downgrade. No, not how it works. Never how it worked, never will work that way. It's not like the movies, where 95% of the movie hasn't even been shot yet, but you've got a couple of scenes or shots that are complete enough to show; a year before a game is released there's *nothing* that can be shown to the general public or even the press. Anytime you are seeing something that far out, that was made for the express purpose of showing it to people. There is no downgrade.

I'm not speaking specifically of our company, and actually we've done a really really good job of showing things that *are* representative of the finished product.

Though I'm super glad that people are excited enough about this game to get worked up over VFX on reddit or whatever. The game is awesome, it looks awesome, you'll loving love it.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 4, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
What about when EA used pre-rendered video to advertise the first Madden for the 360 and it still doesn't look like that?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Yaos posted:

What about when EA used pre-rendered video to advertise the first Madden for the 360 and it still doesn't look like that?

Still not a "downgrade" just super sketchy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Yaos posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

"Downgrade" is not a part of the development process, it's entirely made-up by people who have never worked in dev and have no idea how anything actually works. Not speaking specifically of our game, but the thing is that promotional stuff is fake, it's always been fake and will always be fake. But it's not like, completely made up bullshit. It's saying, "Hey, this is what we think the game will look like when it comes out, but obviously we can't show you what it will actually look like, because it's not loving done yet."

People are taking stuff from *years* before release and getting worked up about downgrade. No, not how it works. Never how it worked, never will work that way. It's not like the movies, where 95% of the movie hasn't even been shot yet, but you've got a couple of scenes or shots that are complete enough to show; a year before a game is released there's *nothing* that can be shown to the general public or even the press. Anytime you are seeing something that far out, that was made for the express purpose of showing it to people. There is no downgrade.

I'm not speaking specifically of our company, and actually we've done a really really good job of showing things that *are* representative of the finished product.

Though I'm super glad that people are excited enough about this game to get worked up over VFX on reddit or whatever. The game is awesome, it looks awesome, you'll loving love it.

I think the problem that people have is that they consider CDProjekt a small company without a marketing budget. And everyone only remembers the end of W2 development, where the end result actually looked better than the ingame footage rendered for a preview.
I'm just glad I don't care that much about graphics.
FIFTEEN DAYS :supaburn:.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only reason we have to wait 15 days is because of those drat retail copies for stores! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wouldn't call it a downgrade, but I do see it like a baseball player calling a home run but only hitting a double or something, yet a man on base made it home anyway. Yeah he was an idiot for pretend he was babe ruth but it still got us a run so whatever. :punto:

• Locked thread