Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Butch Cassidy posted:

Dremels are excellent at xlruining things very quickly. Just ask TFR or AI.

TFR has worse luck with pencils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I did that Shakshuka thing in mine the other day and it was delicious, I did notice it was a lot more difficult to clean off than most things I cook though.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Speaking of TFR, we also have a double burner CI griddle. Remember Clint Eastwood in Fistful of Dollars? This thing is like his bulletproof slab. I've been tempted to take a shot at it and see what it would stop. But if it breaks, we lose a wonderful thing. Great for French toast, pancakes, a pound of bacon at once, bugolgi, Philly cheese steaks, the dog...

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Doesn't the level of seasoning determine how much a tomato-based sauce will affect the pan and vice versa?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bombhand posted:

Doesn't the level of seasoning determine how much a tomato-based sauce will affect the pan and vice versa?

Sure. If you're building a season, it won't help. The biggest issue for tomatoes and cast iron is whether or not you can taste a difference at the end of things. If you can't taste a difference, go nuts. if you can, cook with stainless steel or something else. Your pan or its seasoning won't be damaged to any particular degree.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

Bob Morales posted:

Are you using a thermometer and the right temp oil? The right oil? Not crowding the pot?

Yeah I always used a fry/candy thermometer but it was old so I don't know how accurate it could have been. My oven always seemed to cook things way too hot anyway. The fish would always come out way too oily along with the fries, but when I did the same recipe with an actual fryer and the same oil they came out fine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gorgar posted:

I don't cook sauces in general in bare cast iron, but I do prefer enameled cast iron for that over stainless or whatever. I don't think I even have a non-stick pan any more.

I do. It's cast iron too, though. :v:

The only other pans I own are regular steel pans. There are things you can do to meat in a regular steel pan that cast iron isn't quite as good at.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

GreaseGunner posted:

Yeah I always used a fry/candy thermometer but it was old so I don't know how accurate it could have been. My oven always seemed to cook things way too hot anyway. The fish would always come out way too oily along with the fries, but when I did the same recipe with an actual fryer and the same oil they came out fine.
If it's oily that's generally an indication it wasn't hot enough. The magic of proper deep frying occurs when steam is released from the thing being cooked, which keeps it from soaking in. It's why fries and the like are kept frozen and put into the fryer that way. Try battering your fish and then putting it back in the freezer overnight.

Don't do this with a turkey, though :v:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

GreaseGunner posted:

You can always test to see if your fry oil is hot enough by testing it with a small handful of ice cubes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

feelz good man posted:

You can always test to see if your fry oil is hot enough by testing it with a small handful of ice cubes.

My friend's girlfriend wanted to fry stuff but she left the oil on the heat and walked away then forgot about it. When i arrived the house was filled with smoke and she didn't even know because she was upstairs. I took it outside and set it on the sidewalk to cool off and I figured, why not gently caress around with it? So I threw ice cubes into it on the sidewalk and it was loving VOLCANIC. Like after throwing two ice cubes in there the oil bubbled up so violently that the pot was almost empty after it calmed down

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

SubponticatePoster posted:

If it's oily that's generally an indication it wasn't hot enough. The magic of proper deep frying occurs when steam is released from the thing being cooked, which keeps it from soaking in. It's why fries and the like are kept frozen and put into the fryer that way. Try battering your fish and then putting it back in the freezer overnight.

Don't do this with a turkey, though :v:

I'm aware of how frying thanks to good ol' Alton Brown. That's why I was also confused when the thermometer would read hot but stuff would come out oily. I know I wasn't cooking it too long, so I'm thinking I just had the fish in too big of pieces. Doesn't explain the fries though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GreaseGunner posted:

I'm aware of how frying thanks to good ol' Alton Brown. That's why I was also confused when the thermometer would read hot but stuff would come out oily. I know I wasn't cooking it too long, so I'm thinking I just had the fish in too big of pieces. Doesn't explain the fries though.

Check your thermometer for accuracy, and also look to see if your oil temperature crashes when you put the food in. Insufficient quantity of oil, or an insufficient heat source can cause a temperature drop, allowing oil into the food before it starts to boil the moisture.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Tonights dinner is skillet pizza
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

Made 3 of them for a quick dinner, it worked alright!

Went back to the market on Saturday and found the third missing counterpart of those two saucepans I picked up a few weeks back, it's much rustier than the others but still could be worse. I should take a photo of them all cleaned up.

Just did this and worked amazingly well.

I must've done something wrong because the crust was still floppy after taking it out from under the broiler, but just threw it back on the stovetop on medium until it crisped up. Really loving good.

Hands down the best homemade pizza i've ever pulled off. Tried so hard to do the deep dish one from earlier but ir just never turned out (my fault I'm sure).

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars
I am seasoning my pan for the first time mostly by using it to cook bacon. After the bacon's cooked, I usually pour off the grease, wipe out the pan with a very slightly moist cloth, then reapply some bacon grease or canola oil to the surface and put it in the oven for an hour. It doesn't seem to be developing a nonstick surface, just little patches of stickiness here and there across the insides of the pan. What should I be doing differently, or is this just one step along the road to amazing steaks and fried chicken?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Stickiness usually means too much oil left in the pan. Try to remove more oil after using it. Also, an hour in the oven seems really long. I just stick it on a High burner for 2-5 minutes, until the oil just barely starts to smoke, then I yank it off the burner.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I had the same issue with my first oven cycle. Turning the heat up fixed it. Like if you did it on 350, bump it up to 400, etc.

I made a Dutch baby I could just lift out of the pan...felt good.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

WereJace posted:

I am seasoning my pan for the first time mostly by using it to cook bacon. After the bacon's cooked, I usually pour off the grease, wipe out the pan with a very slightly moist cloth, then reapply some bacon grease or canola oil to the surface and put it in the oven for an hour. It doesn't seem to be developing a nonstick surface, just little patches of stickiness here and there across the insides of the pan. What should I be doing differently, or is this just one step along the road to amazing steaks and fried chicken?

Clean it with warm soapy water (this won't kill it, contrary to what people might say, only letting it soak in water for too long is bad), get all the food bits off, stick it back on the burner on high to dry it, then turn it down to low-medium low, wipe a bit of canola (not a lot, if it's sticky you're using way too much oil) all over it and leave it on low heat for a few minutes after to let the oil polymerize. Flaxseed oil is better for it, but canola does the job just fine.

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 29, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just use it, it's a new pan. The stickiness will go away after you build more seasoning (the extra oil won't stick!) There's no reason to use a moist cloth wiping out the oil, I use a paper towel to spread the oil in my pan before an oven nap.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I got this at the thrift store (the pan, not the cat, which I got from behind a dumpster one time). The inside of the pan is more of the same. Given the condition I'm not really expecting to be able to do much with it, but I thought a little project might be fun. I can't really be certain, but it looks like the enamel might be all intact. Considering oven cleaner. Any thoughts?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Ah that's the same as my little orange pan from the other page!

Give up trying to get that all off, rub it down with steel wool until it's smooth, paint it in fat and bake it!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Oh cool. Was the inside of the pan enameled? I really can't tell with mine.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Nope, just bare cast iron, it had a lot of fuzz on though which came off with steel wool. Take a picture of the inside?

Mine was more orange on the outside when I got it, but after the first time I seasoned it I realised it was never going to stay like that without serious, serious effort, so I gave up on that and it's more or less the same as yours now.

It's a fantastic little pan and I cook *everything* in it. I even did crumpets this morning.

My cat isn't as cooperative as yours, and then my camera batteries ran out, so here's a very rough picture of the underside.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 30, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I have a cast iron pan and I no longer fear anything. I would like to get a cast iron dutch oven some day soon.

Please keep up the good work in here and post more pans and also cats near pans.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
The only rule upon going to iron is "Thow shall know no fear."

Hunterhr fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 1, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"Thou shall, however, know a healthy respect of grabbing the handle of a pan right out of the oven."

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Safety Dance posted:

"Thou shall, however, know a healthy respect of grabbing the handle of a pan right out of the oven."

Because ouch

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Safety Dance posted:

Pro tip: When you take your pan out of the oven and set it on the stove/counter, leave the potholder/towel resting on the handle. It makes it almost impossible for you to burn yourself on it after 15 seconds of doing another task and forgetting that it's hot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone use one of these cast-iron grill pressses? Find yourself using it much? I have a 8" and 12" skillet

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063RXNI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24Z76Z0M3YHP8&coliid=I16RW1LK5L05XM&psc=1

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anyone use one of these cast-iron grill pressses? Find yourself using it much? I have a 8" and 12" skillet

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063RXNI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24Z76Z0M3YHP8&coliid=I16RW1LK5L05XM&psc=1

I wouldn't think 2 pounds would be heavy enough to waste your money. squish things.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Drifter posted:

I wouldn't think 2 pounds would be heavy enough to waste your money. squish things.

I suppose they'd be good for keeping steaks, chops and burgers flat

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

spankmeister posted:

I suppose they'd be good for keeping steaks, chops and burgers flat

I too have the problem of dead meat rising from the pan as it is cooked, then walking the mortal earth to feast on BRAINS

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Get a 4 pound brick, wrap in aluminum foil. There's your grill press.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My friend told me she has one for bacon :shrug:

I guess it has a picture of a pig on the squashing surface

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Iron Crowned posted:

My friend told me she has one for bacon :shrug:
The guy that works the grill at the local greasy spoon I go to breakfast for has a big press he puts on the bacon. Comes out too flat IMO

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I would think investing in one of those presses really only works if you're limited by time, commercially. Or just a wasteful spender.

My bacon stays flat because I cook it at a lower heat - takes maybe four minutes longer. If I need to squish a sandwich or something for a moment I'll use a spatula. I think it serves better as decoration than as an actual tool. I apparently have strong opinions about this for some strange reason. :madmax:

Just use the second cast iron skillet to press down inside the larger one.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Drifter posted:

I would think investing in one of those presses really only works if you're limited by time, commercially. Or just a wasteful spender.

My bacon stays flat because I cook it at a lower heat - takes maybe four minutes longer. If I need to squish a sandwich or something for a moment I'll use a spatula. I think it serves better as decoration than as an actual tool. I apparently have strong opinions about this for some strange reason. :madmax:

Just use the second cast iron skillet to press down inside the larger one.

My mother bought me one and it makes the best grilled cheese sammiches :mad:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

My dad bought one a few years back for bacon.

It has very limited uses but is nice to avoid some grease splatter and fits near-perfect into my 10". I use it mostly to make porkroll and keep it cooking evenly. Also speeds cooking some. It's got its uses but not an essential piece by any means.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I just ordered this bad boy

Progressive International Stainless Steel Splatter Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MR0TA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_v6rsvb1E9Q1CG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MR0TA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_v6rsvb1E9Q1CG

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Your stove top and back splash thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I kind of get a high off that quick bacon splatter burn. Reminds me I'm alive y'know?