Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When he drops it on the helicarrier it's technically being lifted. It should drag the whole ship down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That's precisely the argument Stark uses when the Vision can lift it...

If just being a machine was enough to lift it, Iron Man should be able to, it's not like he's the one doing the lifting, the suit is.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, but he's controlling it. That's gotta count for something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaunab posted:

People aren't going to see the Hunger Games because Liam Hemsworth is in it.

But they're not not going because he is, which is what "box office poison" means.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dr_Amazing posted:

When he drops it on the helicarrier it's technically being lifted. It should drag the whole ship down.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, but he's controlling it. That's gotta count for something.

It's Fury's helicarrier, clearly Fury is worthy :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

thespaceinvader posted:

It's Fury's helicarrier, clearly Fury is worthy :v:

Fury probably has dirt on Odin to cheat his way into being worthy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Becoming stronger does not make you more worthy.

That's why I'm irrationally irritated that it hasn't happened. The Hulk specifically able to ignore that because of sheer annoyance would be awesome.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, Iron Man has done like literally the exact same thing. "Everybody, I'm Iron Man!" "Okay I'm not Iron Man anymore you guys, somebody else stole my suit and is Iron Man now, or maybe its a robot. But TOTALLY NOT ME." followed by "okay yeah it was me again."
Well one time it was actually Jonah J Jameson and it was amazing. Granted, it was newspaper Spiderman which is in its own special universe.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Early in Demolition Man there's a brief scene where Edgar Friendly and his goons worry that they don't have enough men to ambush some transporter for supplies. The ambush turns out to be them just bum-rushing a car outside a restaurant, and it would have gone off without a hitch if it weren't for John Spartan. That scene where Friendly worries irritates me, unless it's supposed to make him out to be an idiot.

Otherwise the movie is perfect.

I always wondered why all the guns in the Museum Of Violence were not only fully operational but also loaded with ammo. Seems very unsafe.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm irritated that the avengers movies didn't have hot makeouts between thor and hulk

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm irritated that the avengers movies didn't have hot makeouts between thor and hulk

I'm pretty sure this scenario is the entire reason Deviant Art exists.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My rationally irritating movie thing is people trying to make logical sense out of comic book movie plots. They just don't make any sense if you think about them even just a little bit. They are comic books. They just make up poo poo as they go along.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

In Event Horizon, I'm a little irritated they chose to send one lovely little salvage craft to find the Event Horizon. Would'd it warrant a huge cruiser or something? That ship must have cost megabucks to build.
Near the beginning of the movie, Lawrence Fishburne says that there has never been a successful rescue mission that far out before. They probably didn't have the option of sending just any ship out there, it had to be one designed for that specific purpose.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

Near the beginning of the movie, Lawrence Fishburne says that there has never been a successful rescue mission that far out before. They probably didn't have the option of sending just any ship out there, it had to be one designed for that specific purpose.

I thought it was a space ambulance in the right wrong place at the right wrong time. Just close enough to offer emergency medical help and very little else?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I thought it was a space ambulance in the right wrong place at the right wrong time. Just close enough to offer emergency medical help and very little else?

I think they were pretty close to Earth at the time the Event Horizon showed up. They did have to pick up Sam Neill from the orbital habitat. Although it has been a few years since I seen it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

I think they were pretty close to Earth at the time the Event Horizon showed up. They did have to pick up Sam Neill from the orbital habitat. Although it has been a few years since I seen it.

Yeah same. I'm going to have to rewatch it even though those eyeeeeees

Baby bear!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

Space tow truck, but I think that's basically right.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy lol the flight surgeon offers a drag to Sam Niell before checking him out for cryo sleep.

Loving it already.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
In Trailer Park Boys what happened to Randy and Lucy's baby? I assume they put the kid at the end of season 7 because they didn't expect to do any more but he shows up in a movie and then disappears never to be mentioned again.

Also what about J-Roc's kids from the same season? In season 9 he has a different kid he didn't know about that raps. I just don't think the writers of Trailer Park Boys really thought through their canon :colbert:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

In Trailer Park Boys what happened to Randy and Lucy's baby? I assume they put the kid at the end of season 7 because they didn't expect to do any more but he shows up in a movie and then disappears never to be mentioned again.

Also what about J-Roc's kids from the same season? In season 9 he has a different kid he didn't know about that raps. I just don't think the writers of Trailer Park Boys really thought through their canon :colbert:

To me it seems like they always expected to end the series, then they got more episodes and didn't know how to write for this new stuff, so they just thought 'gently caress it'. TPB is a clusterfuck like that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It'd be cool if Hades showed up in a movie and was not the bad guy.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
In the new season of Game of Thrones ep4
How they build up the unsullied to be this awesome fighting force, and then they go down like punks to the sons of the harpy.
The one ambush where it was 2 unsullied getting mobbed from literally all directions was ok, but the hallway fight were the numbers seemed pretty even was stupid.
The unsullied even have leather armour, while the sons have stupid masks and thats it.
Before guns or crossbows real trained soldiers would kill the poo poo out of everyone else. Like the Nika Rebellion in Rome, a few hundred actual soldiers kill about 30,000 rioters.
I'm sure the Sons of the Harpy was really good and killing upety slaves, but I think that would be a different skill set in fighting someone who has spent literal years training.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gaunab posted:

It'd be cool if Hades showed up in a movie and was not the bad guy.

He's in the Immortals tie-in comic as a creepy loner who weirds out his brothers and builds the prison holding the Titans.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My irrational irritation is that Liam Neeson and Liam Hemsworth are two people who are just a little bit different and this fact just sort of dawned on me.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

thespaceinvader posted:

If just being a machine was enough to lift it, Iron Man should be able to, it's not like he's the one doing the lifting, the suit is.

Yeah, Vision is a sentient being who is actively choosing to pick up Mjolnir, which presumably means that the hammer's magic "judges" his worthiness like any other being. The Helicarrier, or an elevator, or whatever else, is basically just a floor that happens to be moving - there's no intent to it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My mythology knowledge may be hazy but from what I remember:
Zeus is an emotionally immature rapist, Poseidon wad a wrathful and incredibly territorial rear end in a top hat but Hades was always looked down on for hanging out with dead folk and being an usher and got bent out of shape and resented it.
Well, he coerced some women to serve him and struck unfair deals but didn't do a lot of murders and rapes.

Now, Heaphestus, that is a brilliant and tragic character.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

My irrational irritation is that Liam Neeson and Liam Hemsworth are two people who are just a little bit different and this fact just sort of dawned on me.

I don't really know who Hemsworth is but Neeson was in Schindler's List.

He played Schindler. Maybe check it out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hephaestus tried to rape Athena once, but he went off prematurely. Disgusted, she wiped the semen off her clothes and threw it to the ground, where it impregnated Gaia, the Earth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Liam Neeson is almost three times Liam Hemsworth's age and is an Oscar-nominated actor. What the gently caress are you talking about?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

thespaceinvader posted:

Ultimately Vision is just worthy. It's not like the list is that short. It includes Air Walker, Wonder Woman, Spider Man 2099, a frog, a couple different robots.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Now, Heaphestus, that is a brilliant and tragic character.

Goon relates to Hephastus, the god all the stronger gods crippled so he'd serve them in their basement and whose hot wife cheated on him constantly with big jock-y Ares while verbally making GBS threads on him for being ugly. Film at 11.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

mind the walrus posted:

Goon relates to Hephastus, the god all the stronger gods crippled so he'd serve them in their basement and whose hot wife cheated on him constantly with big jock-y Ares while verbally making GBS threads on him for being ugly. Film at 11.

Plus he spent all his time folding steel to make katanas, the truest goon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CannonFodder posted:

Well one time it was actually Jonah J Jameson and it was amazing. Granted, it was newspaper Spiderman which is in its own special universe.

Why there isn't a movie adaptation of that story, starring JK Simmons, is a mystery to me. And then they could get started on the sequel, an adaptation of the storyline where Jonah went to Miami and declared himself king of all media.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
A really awesome movie that spawned a really awesome television show: The American President.

The bachelor president is dating an environmental lobbyist played by Annette Benning. POTUS has a new crime bill he's counting on for his reelection, while Benning is pushing for a sweeping new environmental bill. Meanwhile, Richard Dreyfuss is playing the evil Republican challenger to the White House who accuses the POTUS of allowing his girlfriend (a lobbyist and slightly extreme activist) to influence policy.

The POTUS finally gets the votes he needs to pass the crime bill, but only in exchange for burying the environmental bill. Benning dumps him, he has a change of heart, and kills the crime bill in favor of the environmental bill.

My problem with this is that is totally validates what Dreyfuss has been accusing him of all along; allowing his girlfriend to influence public policy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Mine is with Gladiator in which the Emperor Commodus is the villain. My complaint is that they actually didn't make him enough of a crazy, delusional, power mad rear end in a top hat. The real Commodus was real fuckin' crazy and he had 12 years to make sure everyone knew it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Liam Neeson is almost three times Liam Hemsworth's age and is an Oscar-nominated actor. What the gently caress are you talking about?

They both have Liam in their name I guess?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Mine is with Gladiator in which the Emperor Commodus is the villain. My complaint is that they actually didn't make him enough of a crazy, delusional, power mad rear end in a top hat. The real Commodus was real fuckin' crazy and he had 12 years to make sure everyone knew it.

Aside from the HBO show Rome and Caligula have there ever really been any modern media depictions of Rome that illustrate how butt-loving insane (literally) Rome actually was?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the HBO show Rome and Caligula have there ever really been any modern media depictions of Rome that illustrate how butt-loving insane (literally) Rome actually was?

At the moment, Spartacus is doing a pretty good job at it. Like, way better than you'd expect.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

I, Claudius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ego-bot posted:

This is partially right. The other half of it was that the ship just plain gently caress disappeared. There was no point sending a rescue ship because the EH was just GONE. And then like 10 years later it just loving appears next to like Saturn or something. That's why they're just now sending a rescue mission, and yeah, they imply its a farther away mission than they've done in the past.

syscall girl posted:

This is totally off, sorry. They left from Earth on an explicit mission to travel to the EH, and they had to go into deep sleep after leaving Earth because it took so long with conventional engines.

Memento posted:

Space tow truck, but I think that's basically right.

Nope, y'all are thinking of some other sci-fi film.

ianmacdo posted:

In the new season of Game of Thrones ep4
How they build up the unsullied to be this awesome fighting force, and then they go down like punks to the sons of the harpy.
The one ambush where it was 2 unsullied getting mobbed from literally all directions was ok, but the hallway fight were the numbers seemed pretty even was stupid.
The unsullied even have leather armour, while the sons have stupid masks and thats it.
Before guns or crossbows real trained soldiers would kill the poo poo out of everyone else. Like the Nika Rebellion in Rome, a few hundred actual soldiers kill about 30,000 rioters.
I'm sure the Sons of the Harpy was really good and killing upety slaves, but I think that would be a different skill set in fighting someone who has spent literal years training.

I also understand that GOT has a budget and they can only show so much, but there's basically no reason for a group of like 10 unsullied to be walking around alone at ANY time. Daenerys has legions of them, she could send entire cohorts of unsullied to patrol the streets. Maybe small streets means they have to further divide themselves, but there should basically never be less than 100 unsullied together at a time.

And yeah they're supposed to be elite spartan-esque warriors but they all died like bitches to a bunch of weak rebelling nobles' sons. WTF?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

At the moment, Spartacus is doing a pretty good job at it. Like, way better than you'd expect.

Spartacus is over, dude. Has been for awhile now. Last season was pretty good.