Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

DustyNuts posted:

The smart move is to drive and park nearby and ride a bicycle through the gate to work. Or stock up on audio books I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DustyNuts posted:

The smart move is to drive and park nearby and ride a bicycle through the gate to work. Or stock up on audio books I guess.

I've never worked at Dam Neck, but I've also never been at a base that I would want to leave a car near.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
missing the fight tonight for duty, shoulda had a kid and got married

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The neighborhoods around Oceana and Dam Neck are totally fine. Best bases to work at in eastern Virginia as far as I know, so I'll count myself lucky in that regard. I'm from San Diego though, and have never managed to get stationed back home. Every loving time, it doesn't happen. I miss my drat burritos and OB and hills and weather and crippling droughts.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I always thought Dahlgren would be fun to work at for some reason. Seems like it kind of tucked away from lovely areas, but also not so remote to be out in the middle of no where.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

DustyNuts posted:

Work starts at 0700, better wake up at 0400.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

DustyNuts posted:

The neighborhoods around Oceana and Dam Neck are totally fine. Best bases to work at in eastern Virginia as far as I know, so I'll count myself lucky in that regard. I'm from San Diego though, and have never managed to get stationed back home. Every loving time, it doesn't happen. I miss my drat burritos and OB and hills and weather and crippling droughts.

being a natural born san diegan, i liked dam neck a lot. it was pretty beautiful down there. weather sucked tho.
if you want good mexican food have you been to El Tapatio in VB?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Grody posted:

missing the fight tonight for duty, shoulda had a kid and got married

just watched a free stream from russia, Mayweather won! The mafia can get hosed!

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Arione posted:

just watched a free stream from russia, Mayweather won! The mafia can get hosed!

Had 50 on pacquiao. not a good night

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Sir Lucius posted:

but also not so remote to be out in the middle of no where.

Ha, no.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

DustyNuts posted:

Best only by virtue of being not Norfolk or Little Creek. TAD for a month here in San Diego and other than the cost of living it pretty much owns. Been a while since I've been through here. I realize I'm not saying anything that has half a brain doesn't already know.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Norfolk is not bad. Its Virginia that sucks poo poo.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Boon posted:

Norfolk is not bad. Its Virginia that sucks poo poo.

Any comment on Ghent area? Looking to live there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

Ghent is the best area in the poo poo sandwich that is Norfolk.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

I live there currently and it's great. Great bars/pubs, not too far a walk from downtown. In my building, a 5 minute walk takes me to a brewery, a winery, multiple ethnic food places, and multiple great bars. I regularly walk downtown to the Norva (concert venue).

Depending on your time frame I can recommend an apartment

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Finally got over here to Fort Meade. Staying on the Barracks because apparently 5 month orders aren't long enough for a full PCS move. So gently caress yeah to room inspections, having to pay for wifi again, being 5 miles from the Exchange and having like 5 different security levels on a walk across the block. I don't even think it's possible to get off the base. There's only shuttles to other parts of the base :feelsgood:

Who has two thumbs, bought cereal and milk but doesn't have a bowl. THISSSSSSSS GUY.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Easy, pour it in your mouth, suck some milk, repeat. Efficient!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yo welcome to the party! All you really need to know is the liquor store on base is open every day and almost every hour. Not the one with the Arby's the one across the street from the PX. But both gas stations sell liquor, so you shouldn't ever need to be sober. If you need something let me know, I've been here for three years now, and going on another two.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

squarerandom posted:

Finally got over here to Fort Meade. Staying on the Barracks because apparently 5 month orders aren't long enough for a full PCS move. So gently caress yeah to room inspections, having to pay for wifi again, being 5 miles from the Exchange and having like 5 different security levels on a walk across the block. I don't even think it's possible to get off the base. There's only shuttles to other parts of the base :feelsgood:

Who has two thumbs, bought cereal and milk but doesn't have a bowl. THISSSSSSSS GUY.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
The entire "Suspended Bust" system is complete and utter bullshit, and I am ashamed that i work in an atmosphere that would rather separate me for being over physical fitness limits then someone who has shown the capability to injure/kill someone with his behavior.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

theAcidQueen posted:

separate me for being over physical fitness limits

Is it that time of the year where the thread makes fun of/defends fatties?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 4, 2015

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

theAcidQueen posted:

someone who has shown the capability to injure/kill someone with his behavior.

Isn't this what we're paid to do?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Don't you get 3 failures before they kick you out? That's over a year to put down the fork.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

Don't you get 3 failures before they kick you out? That's over a year to put down the fork.

PUT DOWN THE FORK, FATTY

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
It's my thyroid.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I lift a lot.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I hate the "new navy spouse" posts on FaceBook most of the time, but this is gold.

quote:

Hi everyone - I've posted here a couple of times and folks have been helpful. I have a sensitive question and really no way to find an answer and hope someone can help.

I found out Friday that my husband, before he went to basic got very drunk and committed assault and destroyed well over 1,000.00 in property. He went to Basic on the 21st.

The people that this happened to, at their home, showed up and our house Friday with video of the incident. Initially I think they were in shock, but now they are madder than hell.

I guess my question is, what happens if they go to the Police Station, and it sounds like they will, and a felony warrant gets issued? Is the Navy going to kick him out or try to help him? Will they let him go to court, does he have to appear?

Needless to say I have been up worrying about this and have no idea what happens next. If anyone has some insight into how the Navy handles this I would appreciate it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
drat, that'd be a really good question for ActusRhesus but he's on probation. So are you subject to UCMJ for poo poo you do before you swear in but charged with after you swear in?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I lift a lot.

I have a skinny neck

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

theAcidQueen posted:

The entire "Suspended Bust" system is complete and utter bullshit, and I am ashamed that i work in an atmosphere that would rather separate me for being over physical fitness limits then someone who has shown the capability to injure/kill someone with his behavior.

Sorry your body betrayed you three times, bro.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

squarerandom posted:

Go to Bangkok Kitchen across the road from the maingate for Lunch. Eat all the Thai food you can handle for like $8.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
a dude bought me a coke slurpee today and thanked me for my service :911:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy crap Corry FEP is just a puddle of sadness.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

a dude bought me a coke slurpee today and thanked me for my service :911:

Were you walking around in your uniform? Shame on you.

LingcodKilla posted:

Fatbodies gonna fat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Were you walking around in your uniform? Shame on you.

Fatbodies gonna fat.

I gained 10lbs since i got in here in Jan. I've been LLD from the first week of February until yesterday but I just ran a 14 minute mile and half so I dont really feel so bad (my max time is 15:30). I'll get back down to 11:00 in a few weeks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

I gained 10lbs since i got in here in Jan. I've been LLD from the first week of February until yesterday but I just ran a 14 minute mile and half so I dont really feel so bad (my max time is 15:30). I'll get back down to 11:00 in a few weeks.

:corsair:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

FTFY

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hey! When I'm not broken I run alpha male time. Not so bad for 37.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ALPHA MALE IS 300 ON MARINE PFT OOORAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

ALPHA MALE IS 300 ON MARINE PFT OOORAH

For running not pulling fat girls at the closest off base bar.

• Locked thread