Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Cobbsprite posted:

You have chosen ... wisely.

Yeah, I love the idea of at least having my command ship and it's TIEs being beaten to hell and back. I mean, poo poo. It's been around since before the clone wars.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Is he selling those yet?

I don't think the resin ones are available yet, but he's got a bunch of 3d printed ones available for sale from Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/SpaceSupplyDepot

Also worth checking out Mel miniatures on Shapeways too:

Fighters: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures?section=Armada+Squadrons&s=0

Large ships: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures?section=Armada+Ships&s=0

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Spamius posted:

I don't think the resin ones are available yet, but he's got a bunch of 3d printed ones available for sale from Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/SpaceSupplyDepot

Also worth checking out Mel miniatures on Shapeways too:

Fighters: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures?section=Armada+Squadrons&s=0

Large ships: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures?section=Armada+Ships&s=0

Don't do 3D printed. The technology still sucks, it'll be foggy and sandy, like using a rattlecan in high humidity.

Also, I'm going for broke, since I'll have to buy a new Victory anyway.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Kilo147 posted:

Don't do 3D printed. The technology still sucks, it'll be foggy and sandy, like using a rattlecan in high humidity.

what do you mean, always trust computer rendered product images

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

FuSchnick posted:

Actually, I think swarm already works with heavy. A squadron with swarm gets to use it as long as the target is engaged with any other friendly squadron, so a heavy squadron would count.

Yeah that's what I meant, heavy works with swarm right now which is why the distinction matters

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kilo147 posted:

I've pushed the ragtag fleet idea. Still a lot of work to do, but here's the first TIEs.

I hope one of them is this guy who eventually got rescued.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

zVxTeflon posted:

I hope one of them is this guy who eventually got rescued.

Once I get more TIEs, I'll do one up like that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I need help. Im torn between X-Wing or Imperial Assault. Is it generally agreed that assault is the best Star Wars game? I like the idea of a dungeon crawler with Star Wars themes, so that's a big plus, but ships are just so cool.

Also, X-Wing seems to have a bigger competitive scene, but is that because IA is still pretty new? Will it most likely grow in popularity to the same levels or more?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
IA will never be a competitive game with a competitive scene. It's more like an adversarial RPG you run with a persistent group of friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really? The skirmishes seem to be way more popular than the campaign. My local shop has tournaments once a month, but they have X-Wing events weekly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Is it generally agreed that assault is the best Star Wars game?

Not anywhere that ive seen

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
It's got a 1v1 skirmish mode, but I doubt it's really going to take off given the cost of it. There's two guys that play it here, and that's all I know of, compared to a ton of X-Wing, Armada, and even the LCG players.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

zVxTeflon posted:

Not anywhere that ive seen

Yeah, Imperial Assault is supposed to be good if you're in the market for something like Descent plus Star Wars, but by and large X-Wing is the most popular of FFG's offerings by far I'm pretty sure, and for the price of a copy of ImpAss you can easily put together a perfectly viable X-Wing squadron.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
The best game is the one people around you are actually playing

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I had a lot of fun in my first game of Armada. I was the rebels in the intro game, and had a very closeness at the end of round 6. I killed all his TIE fighters, but only two damage on this VSD. I lost 1 X-Wing and my Corvette, so I lost on points. I got my Corvette going speed 4, and got behind the star destroyer for a couple shots in its rear end. But I could slow down enough to keep from dropping into its forward arc at short range. Some told me the trick of not being able to complete the move to force the ship to slow down and stay behind, but I didn't have the right angle to do that.

One question I do have, does it say in the manual somewhere that initiative changes each round? The manual seems to imply that it might in the rules for whatever the last step of each round is called. But nowhere did it seem to explicitly say initiative changes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Orvin posted:

I had a lot of fun in my first game of Armada. I was the rebels in the intro game, and had a very closeness at the end of round 6. I killed all his TIE fighters, but only two damage on this VSD. I lost 1 X-Wing and my Corvette, so I lost on points. I got my Corvette going speed 4, and got behind the star destroyer for a couple shots in its rear end. But I could slow down enough to keep from dropping into its forward arc at short range. Some told me the trick of not being able to complete the move to force the ship to slow down and stay behind, but I didn't have the right angle to do that.

One question I do have, does it say in the manual somewhere that initiative changes each round? The manual seems to imply that it might in the rules for whatever the last step of each round is called. But nowhere did it seem to explicitly say initiative changes.

Initiative will depend on the scenario you're playing IIRC but I don't believe that it changes from round to round by default

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Initiative doesn't change in the quickstart that I recall, but the initiative token flips over every round to help remind you about squad activations using the little blue/orange tabs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CSI is having a big sale on Star Wars items for May 4th

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2289?&resultsperpage=25&sb=price|desc

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Orvin posted:

Some told me the trick of not being able to complete the move to force the ship to slow down and stay behind, but I didn't have the right angle to do that.

What trick is this?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kilo147 posted:

Get the "ultra detail" i got some fighters from Mel and they look great (assuming you paint them even a single color)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What's the best storage options available? In poor and have everything packed in a cigar box, with my TIEs and Victory wrapped in paper towels like a poor. I even took the movement tool apart to fit.

Any suggestions? My end setup should be a pair of Gladiators and a Victory, it's as traditional as it gets.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I would say get some pluckfoam for the bigger ships and some cheap plano trays for the fighters/other random crap and toss it in any decent case you find.

Im using this because I had it leftover from x-wing and it was on clearance at home depot. Foam is in the bottom compartment and planos are in the main box.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bottom Liner posted:

I need help. Im torn between X-Wing or Imperial Assault. Is it generally agreed that assault is the best Star Wars game? I like the idea of a dungeon crawler with Star Wars themes, so that's a big plus, but ships are just so cool.

Also, X-Wing seems to have a bigger competitive scene, but is that because IA is still pretty new? Will it most likely grow in popularity to the same levels or more?

I play both competitively. X-wing will always be far more popular. IA skirmish is a lot more preparation, thinking, and it's expensive to get into.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kai Tave posted:

Initiative doesn't change in the quickstart that I recall, but the initiative token flips over every round to help remind you about squad activations using the little blue/orange tabs.

I'm pretty sure that the player with initiative switches each turn. So the the same person doesn't go first each round. I may have misread that though, or it might be skipped in the quick start rules.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

The Gate posted:

I'm pretty sure that the player with initiative switches each turn. So the the same person doesn't go first each round. I may have misread that though, or it might be skipped in the quick start rules.

Person who starts with initiative keeps it for the entire game.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
It's an optional rule that is recommended if you play unlimited turns without missions.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I managed to get a game of Armada in over the weekend. I was Imperial and it was stupid fun. I chose "Navigate" every single turn and hot-rodded around the board in my Victory ISD. Unfortunately I never managed to actually get anyone in my front arc...those drat Rebels are maneuverable! But I did manage to keep the Nebulon B from being able to shoot my ISD for about 3 turns. I lost because X-Wing Cures TIE but ultimately it was a good time.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I managed to get a game of Armada in over the weekend. I was Imperial and it was stupid fun. I chose "Navigate" every single turn and hot-rodded around the board in my Victory ISD. Unfortunately I never managed to actually get anyone in my front arc...those drat Rebels are maneuverable! But I did manage to keep the Nebulon B from being able to shoot my ISD for about 3 turns. I lost because X-Wing Cures TIE but ultimately it was a good time.

I did the opposite. I didn't use Navigate and had to run in circles until I accidentally rammed the CR90 and subsequently flew off the board.

That said, heading to Games and Gizmos to get some Imperial on Rebel action. It's Star Wars day, after all.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Bottom Liner posted:

CSI is having a big sale on Star Wars items for May 4th

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2289?&resultsperpage=25&sb=price|desc
Goddamnit. You just cost me $108. But I got 3 large ships and 5 small ones for $108 (X-Wing). That's... a really good deal.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The best game is the one people around you are actually playing

Holy poo poo, this.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter if the system you're using is bad or not. Because when it comes down to it, good friends, good laughs, and good rolls are really all anyone could ask for.

okay that was hella corny

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Paranoid Dude posted:

Honestly, it doesn't really matter if the system you're using is bad or not. Because when it comes down to it, good friends, good laughs, and good rolls are really all anyone could ask for.

Unless it's FATAL.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Kilo147 posted:

Unless it's FATAL.

Hey now, taking unsuspecting people through FATAL character creation would be a blast.

"Now roll for height... OK, mark that down here... Now roll for age... Oh you rolled a one? Looks like your character is an infant! That can happen in FATAL. It's quirky like that... Now roll for anal circumference and aim high..."

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Hey now, taking unsuspecting people through FATAL character creation would be a blast.

"Now roll for height... OK, mark that down here... Now roll for age... Oh you rolled a one? Looks like your character is an infant! That can happen in FATAL. It's quirky like that... Now roll for anal circumference and aim high..."

Okay, that's a good use of the system.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think once we get to 300 points the rebels are going to have a much harder time avoiding those front arcs, especially if there are 2+ VSD's.

That upgrade that gives you a free distance 1 maneuver after you maneuver looks tasty.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I once cheered up my mate who was getting a tattoo while massively hungover by rolling him up a FATAL character. He ended up with a prepubescent kobold with long gold hair, ash white skin, 'inviting lips', womanly hips and massive cock.

He was less than impressed

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
My FLGS had a armada tourney on the fourth. We only had four people show up and the store had a swag kit for like 16. In the end we all got 3 alternate art nebulon-b cards, dice bags and a token set. we all took victory star destroyers with some fighters.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Ezekiel_980 posted:

My FLGS had a armada tourney on the fourth. We only had four people show up and the store had a swag kit for like 16. In the end we all got 3 alternate art nebulon-b cards, dice bags and a token set. we all took victory star destroyers with some fighters.

There was one apparently in the area here, but I wasn't invited :negative:

you selling your excess??

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I've got quite a few Nebulon-B cards if anyone is interested. Trying to get $3/ea plus shipping. Not sure if this is appropriate here.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Reynold posted:

I've got quite a few Nebulon-B cards if anyone is interested. Trying to get $3/ea plus shipping. Not sure if this is appropriate here.

Probably isn't, but I care less than I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I have three so I could part with one