Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Halloween Jack posted:

Many will disagree, but I've made the argument before that DeKuyper O3 is a fine substitute for Cointreau. But for God's sake don't use generic triple sec.

I understand where you're coming from Jack, but I will never do without Cointreau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I prefer mine with just tequila, lime, and agave syrup. triple sec is fine, but unneccesary

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kenning posted:

I understand where you're coming from Jack, but I will never do without Cointreau.
It's definitely not the same. Sweeter and more orangey, and less subtle.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It's definitely not the same. Sweeter and more orangey, and less subtle.

I really like O3 and reach for it as my usual go-to. But Cointreau is definitely worth having on hand for spiffier drinks.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I was bummed out, I recently picked up Citronge hearing it was a decent substitute at a lower pricepoint but was pretty disappointed. Cointreau really is worth it, much as it may pain my wallet (drat you, outrageous Washington liquor taxes).

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I recently got the Mastrad Purefizz, for making soda and playing around with carbonating my own cocktails.

The first recipe I tried out was a modified version a Employees Only Manhattan:

1.5oz rye
1.75oz sweet vermouth
0.5oz creme de cassis
3 dash angostura bitters

It turned out wonderful. I would highly recommended the recipe and the Mastrad Purefizz. It seems incredibly to carbonate nearly any cocktail with this device. My plan for the summer is to play around with carbonated drinks, the next drinks on my list to carbonate are the Aviation and Last Word. Hopefully, it goes well.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Devoz posted:

I recently got the Mastrad Purefizz, for making soda and playing around with carbonating my own cocktails.
Great to see someone else experimenting with carbonated cocktails! I built myself a carbonation system that works on soda bottles and uses a standard 20lb CO2 tank. It costs a bit more up front, but a single fill has lasted more than a year and there's no waste.

I've rather enjoyed fizzy Manhattans and Margaritas both, and I haven't used bottled tonic water in ages. The general rule of thumb is to carbonate sweet drinks, or make drinks a bit sweeter if they're going to be carbonated, because the dissolved CO2 forms carbonic acid, which, like any acid, tastes sour and can be balanced out by sugar. Also, be very careful with dairy products; they foam into many, many times their volume. Meanwhile, egg white doesn't absorb CO2 much at all.

Looking forward to hearing of any other successes you have!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I lurk this thread pretty heavily but I think I need to actually make a post in order to thank Kenning profusely. Between him and the David Wondrich books he recommended, I ran booze logistics for a party with two bowls of punch (a scaled-up Limmer's and Major Bird's with the Smith and Cross substitution, and for the record Major Bird's was the more popular one) and a small cocktail bar, and things went off pretty great!

...also I seem to have a mild alcohol allergy and am a complete teetotaler in my normal life, so I very definitely couldn't have pulled it off without some very good goon advice. Thanks a bunch, man!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You're doing God's work Kenning :golfclap:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Reiterpallasch posted:

[...] Major Bird's with the Smith and Cross substitution

I don't recall Kenning giving us a recipe for Major Bird's Punch, but now I want to hear one, especially if it can use Smith & Cross

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wondrich suggests eight ounces of lemon juice, one quart of VS cognac, two quarts of water, oleosaccharium made with a cup of turbinado/dermerara/etc plus the lemon peels, and nutmeg. Since cognac doesn't ordinarily come in one-quart bottles, the substitution is just using a fifth of cognac and making up the difference with a cup of Smith & Cross.

(For all that this thread loves Smith and Cross, incidentally, the stuff has been a disaster with my own friends. One of the reasons I choose Major Bird's is it was a chance to use my bottle that I could con people into actually drinking, considering that it's achieved some notoriety as "that poison rum". "oh god no", and so on. Quite tragic, really. Actually, I might do an effortpost on what in this thread proved popular and what proved to be way too adventurous, as a kind of case study, when I have a bit.)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm very proud of everyone's punch success, btw. I recently did a punch with Barbados rum, lime, coconut water, and allspice bitters that was fine, but didn't quite hit the mark. I'm still looking for a good new punch twist.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Last weekend featured a 10 ounces rum to a quart water proportioned Glasgow punch. A friend bumped the bowl at the bottom watery half a cup and the dog lapped up the puddle. He was all worried he would get the dog drunk.

Next cookout will probably be an American orange punch or maybe Garrick Club.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

(For all that this thread loves Smith and Cross, incidentally, the stuff has been a disaster with my own friends. One of the reasons I choose Major Bird's is it was a chance to use my bottle that I could con people into actually drinking, considering that it's achieved some notoriety as "that poison rum". "oh god no", and so on. Quite tragic, really. Actually, I might do an effortpost on what in this thread proved popular and what proved to be way too adventurous, as a kind of case study, when I have a bit.)

Your friends, such as they are (and it's a shame that you allow such plebian office drones to be your bosom companions) will never be pirates.

Think about that for a minute. Who among us hasn't put on a slightly irresponsible day drunk with a bunch of demon rum in a persistent ray of sunshine and thought to him or herself, "This isn't so bad. Maybe I could be a pirate." Your friends haven't, because they couldn't handle the real poo poo, drinking the stuff they clean the bartop with in a Banana Republic where you catch bullets for wanting things like a consistent salary, or healthcare. Because they'll never feel their skin crack in the salt air, and that's because they never got down to the good poo poo, the funky stuff. Smith and motherfucking Crossbones.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smith and Crossbones, gently caress me how haven't I heard that yet.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I may have made it up just then but I wouldn't put money on it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So I just bought 6 rums and various appurtenances. I guess we're gonna do this Tiki thing again for a while.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

So I just bought 6 rums and various appurtenances. I guess we're gonna do this Tiki thing again for a while.

Elaborate.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If I had a pinapple or juice, I would be all over a double jungle bird right now. Stop taunting me with tiki when I can't play :smithcloud:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I got Flor de Caņa Extra Dry (which they're calling Extra Seco now), Flor de Caņa 4 year, El Dorado 5 year, Mt. Gay Eclipse (BevMo was out of Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve), a loving liter of Coruba for $23 holy poo poo, and a fifth of Hamilton 151 Demerara Overproof. The Hamilton is pretty close to the much-lamented Lemon Hart 151 that we can't get anymore, but is a couple bucks cheaper and not quite as aggressively gunpowdery. I like it.

I also juiced a pineapple, bought a pile of citrus (plus a bottle of white grapefruit juice since the fruits are out of season), laid in 24 cans of soda water, and made up some grenadine. I need to get a bottle of J. Wray to make up some falernum, make a small batch of cinnamon syrup, and maybe whip up a bottle of ginger beer and then we'll be in business. I could also afford a bottle of Barbancourt 5 star, and would love some aged Martinique, but considering that I'm quitting my job I don't know if buying premium liquor is reasonable.

I had forgotten what a loving mess Tiki makes of your kitchen though. Hopefully now that I've got most of the prep-heavy stuff prepared it'll be easier to whip up a 7-ingredient punch. I managed to use every rum I bought in at least one of my drinks tonight, which was satisfying. Unfortunately a lot of the recipes in the old Beach Bum Berry's Grog Log are now registering a bit too sweet and tart for my tastes, so I'll have to do some fiddling, but it's certainly got a few gems in there still.

I'll be posting some more extensive rum ruminations over in the rum thread soon, since a lot of these are rums I haven't tasted in quite some time. Maybe now that I'm back on solid rum footing I can go about expanding my collection some more. Or maybe that's just the grog talking.

I feel like every serious drinksmaker should spend a month or two with Tiki, if only for that imminently satisfying moment when you breath a sigh of relief and go back to Manhattans and Old Fashioneds and beer. Until then though...it's pretty nice.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh god it keeps happening

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Maybe I should make some tiki drinks... My only tiki mug is like 24 ounces. Mind you, that is not a problem.

My girlfriend is allergic to pineapple. What tiki drinks are there without pineapple in them? Or what would you substitute in for pineapple, if anything?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
It's worth it to say there is no such thing as a straight sub in tiki. Balance is everything, and switching Passionfruit for pineapple is going to require changing nearly every other measure, if not the rum/sugar balance entirely. Not to say it can't be done, but don't expect to hot swap anything.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

bloody ghost titty posted:

It's worth it to say there is no such thing as a straight sub in tiki. Balance is everything, and switching Passionfruit for pineapple is going to require changing nearly every other measure, if not the rum/sugar balance entirely. Not to say it can't be done, but don't expect to hot swap anything.

I'm not expecting a simple this for that substitute. Though that would be nice I guess. I know tiki drinks are fairly complex and pineapple is pretty distinctive, so it wouldn't be so easy to put something else in its place. I honestly don't know much about those kinds of drinks anyway because I generally steer clear of them for my girlfriend's sake.

Hearing "tiki drink" makes me think of pineapple, but surely there have to be some without that in them, right? If anyone HAS experimented with cutting pineapple out of a drink and gotten something comparable, I'd love to hear it. As well if anyone knows of P.apple-less tiki drinks.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Kenning posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the recipes in the old Beach Bum Berry's Grog Log are now registering a bit too sweet and tart for my tastes

I'm relieved it's not just me. The Hurricane recipe in particular is so sweet it's undrinkable. 2oz of syrup! :gonk:

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm not expecting a simple this for that substitute. Though that would be nice I guess. I know tiki drinks are fairly complex and pineapple is pretty distinctive, so it wouldn't be so easy to put something else in its place. I honestly don't know much about those kinds of drinks anyway because I generally steer clear of them for my girlfriend's sake.

Hearing "tiki drink" makes me think of pineapple, but surely there have to be some without that in them, right? If anyone HAS experimented with cutting pineapple out of a drink and gotten something comparable, I'd love to hear it. As well if anyone knows of P.apple-less tiki drinks.

There are tons without, just take a look around. Mai tai for one to get you started.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

I got Flor de Caņa Extra Dry (which they're calling Extra Seco now), Flor de Caņa 4 year, El Dorado 5 year, Mt. Gay Eclipse (BevMo was out of Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve), a loving liter of Coruba for $23 holy poo poo, and a fifth of Hamilton 151 Demerara Overproof. The Hamilton is pretty close to the much-lamented Lemon Hart 151 that we can't get anymore, but is a couple bucks cheaper and not quite as aggressively gunpowdery. I like it.

Seriously solid choices. I've got most of the same, though I recently killed my bottle of Mt. Gay XO. I'm running low on Coruba (which is always an amazing deal) and am still working through the bottle of Lemon Hart that I was lucky enough to find last year. I did meet Ed Hamilton and tasted his 151, he's such a cool guy and I have a ton of respect for him for keeping all this Tiki stuff alive. He's super down to earth about everything too. Basically a modern day pirate with his sailboat puttering around the Caribbean bringing back delicious rums.

Recently I've been trying to track down El Dorado 8. Have you tried the 5-year and 8-year side by side? I adore the 12-year, but it seems a bit decadent for cocktails.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Kenning: where did you manage to pick up Coruba in the Bay Area? Especially for that kind of price?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Reiterpallasch posted:

Kenning: where did you manage to pick up Coruba in the Bay Area? Especially for that kind of price?

I found it at the jug shop in nob hill last year.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Liquor prices suck in VA, but the nearest liquor store has a full shelf of stuff that is normally special order only, including Coruba for $19/liter. They also just recently started carrying Flor de Cana Extra Dry and daaamn, it was not overrated in the least. My favourite white rum.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Rotten Cookies posted:

Maybe I should make some tiki drinks... My only tiki mug is like 24 ounces. Mind you, that is not a problem.

My girlfriend is allergic to pineapple. What tiki drinks are there without pineapple in them? Or what would you substitute in for pineapple, if anything?

I'm also allergic to pineapple so I'm no help, but just let her know some random on the internet also shares her pain.
I'm also allergic to oranges so I'm extra no help, but I'm glad you asked so I can find some that I might be able to have a taste of eventually.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Jyrraeth posted:

I'm also allergic to pineapple so I'm no help, but just let her know some random on the internet also shares her pain.
I'm also allergic to oranges so I'm extra no help, but I'm glad you asked so I can find some that I might be able to have a taste of eventually.

I'm curious about your orange allergy. It's come up maybe once or twice, and I always figured if you were allergic to orange then that would mean basically all citrus. Hell, I wouldn't be comfortable making you a drink with many liqueurs just because I don't know what all they contain and they don't have to list on the bottle. Beers, gins, all kinds of stuff has orange peel. What do you order when you go out?

Jack Donaheyyy
Jun 9, 2013

EDIT: Wrong thread, my bad.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The Maestro posted:

I'm curious about your orange allergy. It's come up maybe once or twice, and I always figured if you were allergic to orange then that would mean basically all citrus. Hell, I wouldn't be comfortable making you a drink with many liqueurs just because I don't know what all they contain and they don't have to list on the bottle. Beers, gins, all kinds of stuff has orange peel. What do you order when you go out?

Its mild enough that I can eat about 1/3 an orange every so often. One of those allergies that was moderately bad when I was a kid but mellowed out when I was an adult, but I associate the taste of orange juice with vomit and hives. :v:
Other citrus doesn't both me :iiam: unless it does and I need to eat 200 lemons or something. Plus I think whatever part of the orange I'm allergic to is in the flesh. Who knows. I just use Tang if I need a orange kick.
Ordering out isn't bad because of how mild the allergy is. If I can't smell it, it won't be enough to react. Either that, or I've grown out of the allergy long ago and its all psychosomatic (which is likely, its not really worth a allergy test). I generally stick to beers and wines in general, but that's more because of liquor prices in my province. I get more satisfaction spending $6 on a beer than $6 on the one cocktail that I would/could drink.
I genuinely didn't like the taste of pineapple before I discovered was allergic to it, but with oranges I'm glad I can eat a slice or two once in a while.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love bloody mary, but I cant make a good one to save my life, at least compared to any decent bar I went to. They always have this kind of excess bitterness that is coming from either the seasoning or the cheap smirnoff. I dont have access to the premade mix, only tomato juice. I usually follow the recipes I find on the net. Can anyone suggest to me a recipe they like?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
basic recipe I go to is usually

60 ml vodka
10-15 ml lemon
5-10 ml Worcestershire sauce
teaspoon abalone paste (i don't know what you'd sub for this if you didn't have it but something salty and fishy I guess)
a couple of dashes of hot sauce
60-90 ml tomato juice (adjust to level of hangover)
couple pinches of salt and pepper

add ice, roll or throw or stir, whatever, just made sure you do a good job of it

that's kind of just a base recipe though, you can tweak it with all kinds of stuff if you're vaguely comfortable with improvising in the kitchen, think of it like a soup. I'm not sure how yours are managing to come up bitter though, that seems weird to me.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

MC Eating Disorder posted:

basic recipe I go to is usually

60 ml vodka
10-15 ml lemon
5-10 ml Worcestershire sauce
teaspoon abalone paste (i don't know what you'd sub for this if you didn't have it but something salty and fishy I guess)
a couple of dashes of hot sauce
60-90 ml tomato juice (adjust to level of hangover)
couple pinches of salt and pepper

add ice, roll or throw or stir, whatever, just made sure you do a good job of it

that's kind of just a base recipe though, you can tweak it with all kinds of stuff if you're vaguely comfortable with improvising in the kitchen, think of it like a soup. I'm not sure how yours are managing to come up bitter though, that seems weird to me.

Yeah, I don't know either. I mean, it's not that bitter, it's just that it's rather noticeable to me compared to other ones I've drank (which taste far superior and smoother). I'm probably overusing the black pepper or something. One thing I notice on your recipe is that I'm always putting 120ml of tomato juice for 50-60ml of vodka and 15ml lemon, and I guess it could be a lot less tomato juice, which is probably making mine lack seasoning and lemon for the amount of vodka+juice.

Thanks for the input!

Even though I love blood maries, I don't really care about vodka, does anything above smirnoff even makes a difference on the final taste? It feels like people don't really want to taste the alcohol on a blood mary. I had the idea of doing it with Tanqueray instead of vodka (which makes it a Red Snapper) and I think it made a world of difference to me. It really cuts through the mix and works very well with the tomato juice and spices.

EDIT: I read a bit on this thread and saw some BM mix recipes. I might try making the mix one of these days, that could be the edge I need here.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 10, 2015

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Could you use fish sauce instead of the abalone paste?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I suspect anchovy paste would be closer.

Also, drink bloody marias (tequila and (oh yes) mezcal) and red snappers. The agave spirits make it kind of a different drink; the gin makes it basically the same drink, but with extra awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i like to drink micheladas i canty wait to get home from work and mix up a big ol pitcher and drink it while whatching baseball!