Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Win + begin typing works with classic start too :confused:

You're going to have to provide some sort of downside to Classic Start if you say it "sucks"; from a Win 7 users' perspective it's a pretty fantastic piece of software and unless you're going to recommend Start8 or some other piece of software over it, I'd say it's pretty loving fantastic at what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

Win + begin typing works with classic start too :confused:

It can miss the first keypresses after the win key.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've honestly gotten used to just hitting the windows key and typing away the name of a program to open it. Start Menu or Star Screen, makes no difference to me these days.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sarehu posted:

It saves a lot of loving around on a windowed remote desktop connection. I think classic start is great for a free bit of software. I also have used the explorer part for years in 7 to unfuck the windows 7 status bar.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

It saves a lot of loving around on a windowed remote desktop connection.

Yeah, this

gently caress WS2012 over Remote Desktop forever.

I'd completely forgotten about that, since all my 8.1 VMs have Classic Start installed. 8.1 is almost useless without some sort of start button over Remote Desktop (or third party VNC viewer, like Dameware).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

teagone posted:

I've honestly gotten used to just hitting the windows key and typing away the name of a program to open it. Start Menu or Start Screen, makes no difference to me these days.

Yeah initially I didn't like the start screen and lack of a start menu at all.

And then I realize I use the start menu maybe once every two months.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sarehu posted:

Never seen that in the last five years I've been using it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hadlock posted:

8.1 is almost useless without some sort of start button over Remote Desktop (or third party VNC viewer, like Dameware).

8.1 has a start button STOCK. It was only 8 that didn't.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

bull3964 posted:

8.1 has a start button STOCK. It was only 8 that didn't.

really? where is it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fetus Tree posted:

really? where is it

Where the start button always has been, it takes you to the start screen.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Twerk from Home posted:

Where the start button always has been, it takes you to the start screen.

oh, that thing. i don't think i've actually used the start menu for anything since i used windows xp so losing it wasn't really something that affected me. didn't know i could hit the windows key and just start typing until a few minutes ago though, so thanks thread.

E: let me clarify, i didn't know i could in win8. i did that all the time in 7.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The point is, 2012 and Win8 were annoying in RDP since you had to use a hot corner to get to the start menu which was fiddly at best and rage inducing at worst. 2012 R2 and 8.1 are fine though since the button is back and you don't have to rely on hot corners to do anything.

The fact that I can right click on the button and sign out on 2012 R2 makes it eleventy billion times better than 2012.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I'm pricing out a new laptop, and am probably going to go with a Thinkpad T450s. I plan on just ordering it with default 4GB RAM and 500gb non-SSD hard drive, and upgrade those with third-party things since it's cheaper, but is there any reason to keep the NGFF SSD (16GB) for $40? I figure that if I'm getting a ~500GB SSD then the 16GB is only in there so it can be sold as an ultrabook, but if it serves some other purpose then I can keep it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Twitter Warpath posted:

I'm pricing out a new laptop, and am probably going to go with a Thinkpad T450s. I plan on just ordering it with default 4GB RAM and 500gb non-SSD hard drive, and upgrade those with third-party things since it's cheaper, but is there any reason to keep the NGFF SSD (16GB) for $40? I figure that if I'm getting a ~500GB SSD then the 16GB is only in there so it can be sold as an ultrabook, but if it serves some other purpose then I can keep it.

No need for an SSD cache for an SSD. Get rid of it.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I am finally taking the plunge and getting a desktop-replacement style laptop after having the same PC I built back in 2008 all this time. Mobility is more important to me now, but at the same time, I need a good computer capable of running things like memory-intensive projection mapping software and basic video editing. I think I found a hell of a deal. The Asus G75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231633 but sold through a local guy on craigslist who is upgrading to a different laptop and has only had this one for a few months. It's still under manufacturer warranty, and he'll sell it to me for 1500.

Some nasty specs:

i7 4700HQ CPU
nVidia GTX 880M 4GB DDR5 VRAM GPU
24GB DDR3 RAM
2x128GB SSD RAID 0
1TB HDD
17.3" Full HD Matte Display
Windows 8.1 64Bit ENG
Blu-ray Disc player with CD and DVD RW
10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet
Killer Wireless Adapter 802.11a/g/n
ROG AudioWizard
Bluetooth 4.0
8-Cell Lithium-Ion Providing up to 3.5 Hours per Charge (88Wh)
16.1 x 2.0 x 12.5" / 40.89 x 5.08 x 31.75cm
9.9 lbs / 4.49 kg

The desktop PC I've been using for all these years only has FOUR gigs of ram. Unreal. I found similar laptops from the Asus website for around $1000, but with half the ram and no SSDs, so this seems like a pretty legit deal for an extra 500 bucks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

AwkwardKnob posted:

I am finally taking the plunge and getting a desktop-replacement style laptop after having the same PC I built back in 2008 all this time. Mobility is more important to me now, but at the same time, I need a good computer capable of running things like memory-intensive projection mapping software and basic video editing. I think I found a hell of a deal. The Asus G75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231633 but sold through a local guy on craigslist who is upgrading to a different laptop and has only had this one for a few months. It's still under manufacturer warranty, and he'll sell it to me for 1500.

Some nasty specs:

i7 4700HQ CPU
nVidia GTX 880M 4GB DDR5 VRAM GPU
24GB DDR3 RAM
2x128GB SSD RAID 0
1TB HDD
17.3" Full HD Matte Display
Windows 8.1 64Bit ENG
Blu-ray Disc player with CD and DVD RW
10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet
Killer Wireless Adapter 802.11a/g/n
ROG AudioWizard
Bluetooth 4.0
8-Cell Lithium-Ion Providing up to 3.5 Hours per Charge (88Wh)
16.1 x 2.0 x 12.5" / 40.89 x 5.08 x 31.75cm
9.9 lbs / 4.49 kg

The desktop PC I've been using for all these years only has FOUR gigs of ram. Unreal. I found similar laptops from the Asus website for around $1000, but with half the ram and no SSDs, so this seems like a pretty legit deal for an extra 500 bucks.

I mean it's not a bad deal by any means, but at that price point you should try and grab a laptop with a 970m. It's more powerful and far more efficient than the 880m, which brings waaay better battery life.

You don't really need/want a 17 inch behemoth that weighs nearly 10 pounds, the SSDs in RAID is kinda dumb but whatever. 24 gigs of RAM is nice i guess but ridiculously overkill. Shop around, see if you can't find a laptop with a 970m for 1400 or less. Then you can just plop in a 250 gig 850 EVO SSD for $100 aftermarket.

tl;dr it's not actually all that great of a deal. You don't really need more than 8 gigs of RAM for games (idk about your mapping stuff), it costs around $100 to buy a 250 gig SSD these days (and like, $180 for 500 gigs), and you can probably find a laptop with a 970m that has way better battery life, mobility, and moderately improved performance.

It's an alright deal. It'd be great at $1300. At $1500? Ehhhhhhh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Twitter Warpath posted:

According to Reddit the 450S has an m.2 slot that can only take a single-sided SSD, so you would have to get an mSATA one to replace it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

quote:

You don't really need/want a 17 inch behemoth that weighs nearly 10 pounds,

It'd be great if this stopped being a thing in this thread, but it won't.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean it's not a bad deal by any means, but at that price point you should try and grab a laptop with a 970m. It's more powerful and far more efficient than the 880m, which brings waaay better battery life.

You don't really need/want a 17 inch behemoth that weighs nearly 10 pounds, the SSDs in RAID is kinda dumb but whatever. 24 gigs of RAM is nice i guess but ridiculously overkill. Shop around, see if you can't find a laptop with a 970m for 1400 or less. Then you can just plop in a 250 gig 850 EVO SSD for $100 aftermarket.

tl;dr it's not actually all that great of a deal. You don't really need more than 8 gigs of RAM for games (idk about your mapping stuff), it costs around $100 to buy a 250 gig SSD these days (and like, $180 for 500 gigs), and you can probably find a laptop with a 970m that has way better battery life, mobility, and moderately improved performance.

It's an alright deal. It'd be great at $1300. At $1500? Ehhhhhhh.

I talked him down to 1300 this morning :D

And yeah, the 10 lb thing is literally not a concern for me. I appreciate your input though, because it's worth considering everything when spending a chunk of money like that on anything.

edit: I should mention that I've never actually used a SSD personally for anything. Can you guys give me any beginner's tips that I might find helpful? For example, I don't know why "SSDs in RAID is kinda dumb" -- does that mean that if one fails, I'll lose them both? I only know the barest scraps of information about SSDs really, just that they have no moving parts and work really fast.

AwkwardKnob fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 5, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Twitter Warpath posted:

I just got mine and absolutely love it. 500 gb + 8 gb ram. My only complaint is Windows 8.1 sometimes refuses to output sound through the headphone jack to my speakers after I take my galaxy s3 headphones out which is apparently a known issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AwkwardKnob posted:

For example, I don't know why "SSDs in RAID is kinda dumb" -- does that mean that if one fails, I'll lose them both?
Using any disk in RAID-0 is dumb, that has nothing to do with SSD vs hard drive.

Plus, SSD's are so stinking fast that even though certain benchmarks will see close to 100% improvement with each disk you add, real-world performance won't follow suit. You can also lose things like TRIM unless you have certain drives/chipsets.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

AwkwardKnob posted:

And yeah, the 10 lb thing is literally not a concern for me. I appreciate your input though, because it's worth considering everything when spending a chunk of money like that on anything.

edit: I should mention that I've never actually used a SSD personally for anything. Can you guys give me any beginner's tips that I might find helpful? For example, I don't know why "SSDs in RAID is kinda dumb" -- does that mean that if one fails, I'll lose them both? I only know the barest scraps of information about SSDs really, just that they have no moving parts and work really fast.

You'll be fine. Head over to the SSD thread for more, but the long and short of it is basically "leave at least 10-20% free space"

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fetus Tree posted:

It'd be great if this stopped being a thing in this thread, but it won't.

In 2 years of following this thread there have been 2 goons who genuinely needed a 17" gaming laptop over a micro tower PC, and both of those dudes were on a nuclear submarine.

AwkwardKnob posted:

You are getting an OK deal at absolute best. Do yourself a favor and don't buy a computer for at least a week. Do more research the shop around. You can do better in every metric for the same money.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Christ, my Dell XPS 13 Developer edition came today -- not sure if I have a lemon yet or if their 'supported' version of Ubuntu is just absolute one hundred percent dog vomit.

Machine booted up, joined wifi, created my user, rebooted, keyboard refuses to work for up to 5 minutes, will no longer join wifi, Ubuntu reports errors on login, AND the system font size seems to be changing on a 1-second timer, meaning all windows are constantly changing size (by all windows I mean the errors that pop up, as most of the time I can't get farther than that).

...And I thought I wouldn't install windows until my new 512GB M.2 showed up. Nope!

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
I currently got an SL510, and Im looking at buying a refurbished Lenovo T430 for $439. I'm considering throwing in an SSD as well.

14" Screen
Intel Core i5-3210M 2.50Ghz (3.10Ghz Turbo),
4GB DDR3 RAM,
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

My use is mostly intensive websearching, excel, SPSS and GIS

Thoughts?

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 6, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Melian Dialogue posted:

I currently got an SL510, and Im looking at buying a refurbished Lenovo T430 for $439. I'm considering throwing in an SSD as well.

14" Screen
4GB DDR3 RAM,

The only thing is I am weary about is the 4GB RAM, since I already have 4GB RAM on my SL510 I'm worried that I won't see much of a difference performance wise? Maybe Im putting too much weight onto the whole RAM thing considering I'd be going from a dual-core Celeron 1.8ghz processor to the i5 ivy bridge. My use is mostly intensive websearching, excel, SPSS and GIS

Thoughts?

T450s is what I upgraded my SL510 with and I can't believe how happy I am. Nothing on the Lenovo outlet?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

14" Screen
4GB DDR3 RAM,

The only thing is I am weary about is the 4GB RAM, since I already have 4GB RAM on my SL510 I'm worried that I won't see much of a difference performance wise? Maybe Im putting too much weight onto the whole RAM thing considering I'd be going from a dual-core Celeron 1.8ghz processor to the i5 ivy bridge. My use is mostly intensive websearching, excel, SPSS and GIS

Thoughts?

Ram is pretty cheap. It's like 50 bucks to buy 8 gigs of SO-DIMM spec RAM.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

T450s is what I upgraded my SL510 with and I can't believe how happy I am. Nothing on the Lenovo outlet?

Canadian buyer here, so I'm not sure if the Lenovo outlet will ship to me? The above newegg price is $439 CDN (363USD). Also what does it mean for me if the RAM is soldered to the system board when its listed on the Lenovo outlet?

If Lenovo outlet does in fact ship to me, how about this instead for $502 ($606 CAD) USD? Is it worth the extra jump? My price range is around $500-600 CAD, so is it worth the extra to get the T440? Or should I go with the T430 but with an SSD HD?

edit: So, lenovo outlet doesn't ship to Canada, but I live near the border and they have parcel shipping boxes I can rent and pick up. Would this however gently caress up my warranty?

Windows 8 Professional 64 - English
Refurbished
No Optical Included
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
Integrated Wireless Wide Area Network upgradable
Integrated 3-cell (23.5Wh) plus External 3-cell Lithium Ion (23.5Wh) up to 8.4 hr
Intel HD Graphics 4400
Intel® Core™ i5-4300U processor (2 cores, 1.90GHz, 3MB cache)
Laptop - Black
14.0" HD WXGA (1366 X 768) LED Backlight w/ 720p HD Camera
4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM Memory
No Bluetooth
Fingerprint Reader
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Wi-Fi + Bluetooth combo
1 Year Standard Depot Warranty
500GB, 7200RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 6, 2015

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

tesilential posted:

In 2 years of following this thread there have been 2 goons who genuinely needed a 17" gaming laptop over a micro tower PC, and both of those dudes were on a nuclear submarine.
If I didn't prefer a smaller screen, I think I could join that list, by virtue of not liking to sit at a desk to play games. Or is there some sort of high resolution desktop monitor that you can stand on your torso these days? Last time I was looking, you couldn't get a decent resolution for a standalone monitor without also going huge. Taking a cursory look now (at Best Buy because they'll filter by size and resolution), I see nothing smaller than 21" that's still 1080p, and none of them would be comfortable to stand on yourself.

So yeah, I wouldn't need a 17" gaming laptop, because a 15" one is better for my preferences, but a 17" gaming laptop would still win over a micro tower PC. I suspect your definition of "genuinely needed" is being distorted to fit your preconceptions of what people should want.

vvvv You're right, that is a good description of an experience that is not what I prefer. (I like to be able to watch TV on a TV that's behind-and-up-a-bit from my laptop screen - having a bigger TV further behind a big TV would be a very strange solution for this.)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 6, 2015

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

roomforthetuna posted:

If I didn't prefer a smaller screen, I think I could join that list, by virtue of not liking to sit at a desk to play games. Or is there some sort of high resolution desktop monitor that you can stand on your torso these days? Last time I was looking, you couldn't get a decent resolution for a standalone monitor without also going huge. Taking a cursory look now (at Best Buy because they'll filter by size and resolution), I see nothing smaller than 21" that's still 1080p, and none of them would be comfortable to stand on yourself.

So yeah, I wouldn't need a 17" gaming laptop, because a 15" one is better for my preferences, but a 17" gaming laptop would still win over a micro tower PC. I suspect your definition of "genuinely needed" is being distorted to fit your preconceptions of what people should want.

Or get a huge 4k TV and sit a few feet away from your game.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I may have done something stupid. Does the T450S have any m.2 ports that are full height? I recall looking before I pulled the trigger and couldn't find anything specific.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grundulum posted:

I may have done something stupid. Does the T450S have any m.2 ports that are full height? I recall looking before I pulled the trigger and couldn't find anything specific.

What do you mean "full height?" Theres 4 or 5 different form factors of m.2. All lenovo laptops I've seen have one that fits shorter drives, like 2240, while most good m.2 ssds are 2280 form factor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Virtually every laptop I've taken apart has the 22x45 (mSATA is something like 24x50?) M.2 slot. Desktops and SFF PC's are what I've seen that can take the larger drives

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
M.2 drives are named for their size, typically 2242 or 2280. mSATA is something like 30x50. I think all of the 2242 drives are SATA and you have to go up to 2280 for PCIe.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Alright, I'm down to a few options. My needs/wants:

Office use, web browsing, sometimes data processing stuff (Excel, SPSS, Tableau etc.) Maybe light gaming but not important. Price range $400-600 CAD. I want an SSD no matter what, so I have to factor in costs of buying one if the laptop doesnt come with one. Im bouncing between refurbished Dell Latitudes or Lenovo T430s.

Please note, I'm Canadian so I dont have the Lenovo outlet available to me:

Option 1, $649. CDN
IBM/ Lenovo ThinkPad T430 Intel® Core i5-2.6GHz 3RD GEN 3320M, - Refurbished (Microsoft Certified) Off-Lease product
8GB Memory, DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz, (2 Slots Total / 0 Free)
180GB SSD,
DVD+/-RW,
14" (WXGA), 1366x768
Intel HD Integrated Graphics
WebCam,
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Notebook
Limited Warranty: 12 months parts; 12 months labor (JoySystems)

Option 2, $439 CDN
Lenovo T430 [Microsoft Authorized Recertified]
14" Notebook with Intel Core i5-3210M 2.50Ghz (3.10Ghz Turbo),
4GB DDR3 RAM,
320GB HDD,
DVDRW
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Limited Warranty period (parts, labour): 90 days

Dell Latitude E6420 Intel Core i5 2520M
4GB Memory
250GB HDD 14.0" Notebook
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Limited Warranty: 12 months parts; 12 months labor (JoySystems)

So, Option 2 is cheaper, but with less warranty, less RAM and no SSD drive. I want an SSD drive, and RAM is a "would-be-nice" option. So the question is, is the $210 difference worth the slightly faster processor (i5 3320M vs i5 3210M), the 180GB SSD (~$150+), 1 Year warranty, and 8GB RAM vs 4GB RAM?

After doing more research and re-reading the first page, I realized I am unnecessarily limiting myself to just lenovos. Especially have re-read some of the issues with the T430 and its screen. I am also expanding my considerations to 15" screens since my SL510 is a 15" it wont be a big stretch.

Here are some other contenders:

Option 3 $688 CDN
Dell Latitude E6430 Notebook PC - Intel® Core i5 2.6GHz 3RD GEN 3320M,
8GB Memory,
256GB SSD,
DVD+/-RW,
14", CAM,
Windows 7 Professional 64bit (Refurbished)
2 - USB 3.0 ports

I'm a little torn right in in general for my price range and optimum bang for my buck. Basically, Im bouncing between $450 CAD w/o SSD and $650+ CAD /w SSD, and trying to figure out my best deal for both cost effectiveness and actual longevity, along with factoring in all the screen or whatever issues. Any advice between choosing between a Latittude or Lenovo T series also?

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 6, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have you used excel with a 1366x768 screen? Option 1 would make me nervous. I guess if you're plugging it in to an external 1080p screen at the office it's less of a concern though. 1366x768 is the worst resolution screen you can buy these days.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty on a T430 a whole lot unless you have a history of damaging your objects

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is the screen on the Dell XPS 13 IPS? Dell's website doesn't say...

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is the screen on the Dell XPS 13 IPS? Dell's website doesn't say...

I just got the FHD (non touch) model, currently booted to a ubuntu usb cloning the m.2 so I'm not sure if I can programatically check but judging by how beautiful this thing is and the wonderful viewing angles I'd be surprised if it is NOT an IPS... any idea on a surefire way to check?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Schmoli posted:

I just got the FHD (non touch) model, currently booted to a ubuntu usb cloning the m.2 so I'm not sure if I can programatically check but judging by how beautiful this thing is and the wonderful viewing angles I'd be surprised if it is NOT an IPS... any idea on a surefire way to check?

I've seen some TN screens with surprisingly good viewing angles, but IIRC if you press gently on it there will be colour distortion if it's TN and not if it's IPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

ToxicFrog posted:

I've seen some TN screens with surprisingly good viewing angles, but IIRC if you press gently on it there will be colour distortion if it's TN and not if it's IPS.

Well by that very scientific test I am still leaning towards IPS... again this is a great screen.