Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Well, I'm now thoroughly caught up not just in-game, but with the LP as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

As easy and unchallenging as it got with Girl Power and Replakia, AT2 was a pleasure when it comes to go ahead and pull out the big guns during battle...

Now, as I missed the first trivia update:

Feinne posted:

Mute Tier (1 Point):

This song was used to confront an infinitely-regenerating Guardian in Ar Tonelico 2.

This airship engineer traveled across the world of Ar Ciel in search of her lost boyfriend.

This singer provided the voice of General Akane in Ar Tonelico Qoga’s Hymmnos Concert.

Ar Tonelico 2’s Croix used this sort of weapon.

Misha Tier (3 Points):

A terrible ‘disease’ ravaged the land surrounding the Tower of Frelia known as IPD. What did that mean?

This forgotten Will of Ar Ciel represents song.

Mir Tier (5 Points):

What song does this segment of Hymmnos come from? Who sings it and what was its purpose?

Fou ki ra hyear presia reen
Was zweie ra na stel yorra zueig manaf
Ma zweie ra irs mana chyet oz omnis

Mute Tier (1 Point):

The key phrase is "infinitely-regenerating", so it's probably speaking about EXEC_HARMONIOUS_FUSION used against Zodom.

Krusche.

yoko.

In simplified terms, Rocket-propelled Machine Gun Spear.

Misha Tier (3 Points):

Infel Phira Dependency

Suzunomia.

Mir Tier (5 Points):

That's pretty much the main stanza for EXEC_COSMOFLIPS, which allowed Tyria to fuse with the Will Ar Ru and which also doubles as a prelude to REBIRTHIA=PROTOCOL.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

Here's some more trivia for you guys, and reminder we should have an update tomorrow.

Mute Tier (1 Point):

This song was used to confront an infinitely-regenerating Guardian in Ar Tonelico 2.
exec_despertia
This airship engineer traveled across the world of Ar Ciel in search of her lost boyfriend.
Krusche
Ar Tonelico 2’s Croix used this sort of weapon.
gun-lance-rocket-thing
One of these floating land masses around the tower of Ar Tonelico was destroyed by Mir before she was originally imprisoned.
Wings of Horus
Misha Tier (3 Points):

Aurica created this unexpectedly successful food product, which was one of the strongest healing items in Ar Tonelico.
BBQ Soda
A terrible ‘disease’ ravaged the land surrounding the Tower of Frelia known as IPD. What did that mean?
Infel Pira Dependant
This forgotten Will of Ar Ciel represents song.
Suzunomyia
Mir Tier (5 Points):

What song does this segment of Hymmnos come from? Who sings it and what was its purpose?

Fou ki ra hyear presia reen
Was zweie ra na stel yorra zueig manaf
Ma zweie ra irs mana chyet oz omnis

EXEC_COSMOFLIPS, sung by Finnel for Ar Ru(?), it got sung for the purpose of getting antibodies to stop trying to murder folks.(?)

Hymnochat: The song in this quiz, much like basically all of AT's music, is pretty darn good.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It's one of my favorites, I even did a translation for it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Feinne posted:

It's great because as Admiral Curtiss' avatar text notes AT Qoga calls out how crazy and over the top some of the combat maneuvers in AT2 were. Really EVERYTHING in AT2 was over the top as gently caress and all the more awesome for it. Like the only person who never gets to be super over the top really is Luca, who should have had some kind of special combat thing to try and make up for Cloche's personal song magic server she can kick into crazy overdrive and Mir's ability to literally call bosses as song magic (thusly bringing the other end of the best matchup, since you kick up Those Memories and then Replakia the gently caress out of an Ar Tonelico/Phantasmagoria). Or Ayatane if you're feeling classy like that.

Luca was plenty important in the first half of the game, but in the second half she kind of dropped out in favor of Mir. Which was kind of sad for Luca, but it's an AT Staple that halfway through the game you call down the resident god to join your party and may or may not seduce and marry them.

That and I really love The Heart Speaks.

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

I can hear the budding of Sharanohiar.
The time for humans to repent has come at last. They shall all be guided to this sea of atonement.

Ugh, catching up to this thread and for those of you who are big Ar Tonelico/Ciel/Surge junkies this right here just shows how lazy the localization was. I would love to see the "plus" versions come out with an edited translation in them. This game sorely needs it. Playing the original Japanese version right now and the katakana listed there most certainly does not spell that out. But we can cross that bridge when we get there in the game.

Spoiler due to merchandise outside the game that has a name in it related to the game.
Not to mention the Hymnos CD that came out with "The Forest of Shelanoir" on it is quite frankly some of the best work Akiko Shikata has ever done.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lord Gorchnik posted:

Ugh, catching up to this thread and for those of you who are big Ar Tonelico/Ciel/Surge junkies this right here just shows how lazy the localization was. I would love to see the "plus" versions come out with an edited translation in them. This game sorely needs it. Playing the original Japanese version right now and the katakana listed there most certainly does not spell that out. But we can cross that bridge when we get there in the game.

Spoiler due to merchandise outside the game that has a name in it related to the game.
Not to mention the Hymnos CD that came out with "The Forest of Shelanoir" on it is quite frankly some of the best work Akiko Shikata has ever done.

Yeah, that irritates me too on several things (including the thing in your spoiler). The localization on this was if anything more shockingly bad than anything NISA ever did. If you go actually watch the text boxes in the scene with Kanon and Zill at one point one refers to her a 'Zillillium'.

Speaking of Kanon I'm hoping to have Ion's dive with her ready today.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
There are actually several instances where things/places are refered to differently 1 or 2 lines after each another. There was absolutely no editing done on this game. Also when I played it they hadn'nt patched the NPC dialogue issue which was just absolutely crazy. I have no idea how that could slip through any form of QA, which I guess there was none of.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I don't know if it was covered in the LP, but what does it mean when the EVENT thing in items is grayed out or still in color?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

HR12345 posted:

I don't know if it was covered in the LP, but what does it mean when the EVENT thing in items is grayed out or still in color?

I think it's to do with whether you've seen the synthesis event for that item for your current party. Can't remember if lit up or greyed out is 'not seen it yet' though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I think it’s story time again, right? So the Sharl had largely abandoned Sharanohiar to attack the human-controlled portions of the Soreil. Fortunately, they did leave behind enough personnel for essential services.

Feinne’s Notes:
Yes, the Dive Shops and stores in Sharanohiar are still active even though all the other NPCs have hosed off.

This was good, because what Ion really wanted to do right then was understand Kanon better.

So much so that a part of her aware enough to understand this was a Dive showed up to help Earthes.

Heh heh heh, surprised, are we? Well, it’s your first time traveling to another’s world, isn’t it?
Hey, Nelico… You can show up in other worlds besides my own?
Yes… Anywhere you can move, so can I.
More importantly, it seems like you’re having quite a difficult time with that lighthouse keeper…?
That’s right./Just a simple change of pace.
Yes. Honesty is best.
You may have already noticed, but the lighthouse keeper is like an iron wall…
Th-That’s not true… I think we’ve communicated quite pleasantly, actually…
Like they say, “It’s darkest under the lamp post.” I think that was made just for you…
Very well… In any case, it would be good for the two of you to travel into others’ minds.
I think that will strengthen the bond between the two of you, too…
And remember, when you go into others’ worlds, the both of you are nothing more than guests…
Work together, and be sure not to cause too much trouble or overstay your welcome.
Ah-! She’s gone… Nelico can be a little impatient, huh?
Still, I never knew Kanon had such a world inside her heart. It looks like so much fun.
And also… It feels very nostalgic…

Feinne’s Notes:
This is an easier Dive than Ion 1, but there are still a couple of tricky points to deal with. I’ll explain them as they happen.

They started by dropping in on an odd shrine.

???: Seek salvation… Purify your soul…
…? Did you hear a voice somewhere?
It’d be nice to take a look inside, but… It’s so dark, I can’t see anything.
Try opening the door?/Maybe you should call?
Should we take a look inside?
Oh no… It’s locked, and we can’t get in.

With nothing obvious to do there, they headed to a nearby village. This proved a bit more exciting.

Hm!? Who are you people?
H-Huh…!? Y-You’re…
Ah, I know… You’re that demon people are talking about! Are you not!?
Huh?
Everyone, to arms! The demon approaches!
N-No! We-We’re not demons or anything!
This is the great Lighthouse Keeper!/Just a human and robot passing by.
You would spout such lies! You must be a rather bad demon, even amongst your own kind!
But if that be true, then I demand you show some proof!
Huh!? Proof? U-Ummm, well that’s…
Look at you! You were bluffing after all!
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Bragger]!
Hey, is no one there!?

It seemed they were in a village of Sharl, or at least their mental equivalent.

Ah, Kusako… Thank you for coming. The reason I summoned you is simple. As you can see, we have demons.
Kusako: My! That won’t do…! How filthy!
Not only that, but these demons possess foul hearts corrupted by evil. A quite primeval breed.
Kusako: That’s terrible!
There you have it. So, I ask you to take these two demons to where the rest of them are…
We are going to grill them for intel…
N-Now wait a second! We’re not real demons, and… Who might you be?
I am the Morota no Mikoto. It is my sworn duty to protect the Shaaru Village.
We, the people of Shaaru, were brought to the brink of extinction by the hands of demons…
And we’ve worked hard to build our country back up to what you see here.
Do you know why that is? Because our mighty God has vanquished the demons, and helped us rebuild.
And you two are demons… That is why I cannot let you escape. You too, shall suffer the same fate.
Ummm, might this “God” be Miss Kanon…?
Ka…non? Whoever are you talking about? This conversation is going nowhere.
At any rate, the demons must help rebuild this country, as punishment for their atrocities.
Ahh! Wait…

I don’t think I need to explain how this level is relating to current events, but it’s hardly a surprise that after their meeting Ion’s filling the role of a “demon”.

Kusako: Alright, demons… In order to repent for your actions… You must aid the development of our new nation!
Though most of it is now complete… There is one crucial piece to the puzzle, the “Egg Shrine”.
You are now to head to the Beach of Solipsis, solidify the sand into stone, and carry it to the shrine.
Now be quick about it! Ugh… You demons best not contaminate the rest of us.
No choice but to follow along/Let’s attack and run away
Yeah… And we might be able to see Miss Kanon, too.
Okay, off to the Beach of Solipsis, then.

Feinne’s Notes:
We get a gem for bragging about Ion being the Lighthouse Keeper, otherwise those choices don’t matter so much. This level will tend to just fail us out of scenes and make us redo them as opposed to straight kicking us out of the world. It’s also potentially helpful to keep in mind that the Beach of Solipsis is a place here.

They headed to the beach.

Whoa… What a beautiful beach!
Kusako: You are going to be working here until the day you die. Just like those demons there. Get used to it.
Nanako: C’mon, don’t tell me you’ve given up already! Keep working!
Aaaaaahh, you’re hurting me! Please, forgive me, your highness!
Please forgive this incompetent demon who not only destroyed your home, but cannot carry out simple tasks!
Iwako: Is that body just for show!? You’ve got no strength at all! Dedicate yourself to the lend of Shaaru!
Ahhhh, your highness. Please, please step on me more!
Kusako: You see that demon there? They’ve all reformed and enjoy the work.
Umm, is that one enjoying getting stepped on…?
Kusako: That just shows the high level of their dedication.
It is a given that demons must work for the Shaaru. I guess we need to teach you some basics of this world…
…That’s it! Hey, Blue Demon!
Y-Yes! What can I do for you?
Kusako: Starting today, you are going to take this one under your wing… Make sure you educate ‘em thoroughly.
Understood! We all dedicate ourselves to helping the Shaaru!
Kusako: Well, I’m going to be off now. You make sure you work hard!
Okay! We’ll work ‘til we die!

The Blue Demon’s enthusiasm for work waned once she was unsupervised.

What do you want!? You better show respect when talking to me. You’re now my servant, you understand that?
Huh?
I mean, from what I heard, you stood up against the Shaaru…! How dumb can you be?
We’re demons… So it is our duty to serve the Shaaru. To atone for our sins past… Don’t get in my way.
I-It is…?
Yes, it is! You understand now?
I-I do…
Okay, that’s enough education for today. Now, go harden that sand over there, and turn it into a rock.
I’m a little tired from all the work, so I’ll be resting over there.
U-Umm… Oh, she’s gone…
Whew… So, what do you think we should do?
Make a rock out of sand/Ask about it
Umm, yeah… Well, if we don’t work hard, we might end up like that blue demon from earlier…

Of course, that’s probably because it’s obviously ridiculous to try and turn a bunch of sand into a rock.

Wait, I guess that’s not strange… Why would sand turn into a stone…!?
Iwako: Hey! You! What the hell do you think you’re doing playing around like that!
I think you need to be punished!!
Owwww! What is with that little doll!?
Only I’m allowed to step on Ion/Don’t you dare touch Ion
Iwako: Oh? So the doll is a higher rank than you? Very well…
In order to make a rock from sand, you must get it wet with ocean water. How do you not even know this!?
And, I don’t want to see you slacking off!
U-Umm… Are you talking about… Stepping on me?
Uhh, I-I guess it’s alright but… Make sure you step on me gently, okay?
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Step Gently]!
A-Anyway, thank you so much for protecting me!
I suppose we better get the sand wet and make these rocks before they get mad at us again.
We did it! It really became a rock when we got it wet!
All we have to do now is carry this to the shrine, right?

Nelico decided to drop in afterwards.

Ahh, I see… You’re a rather strange one, aren’t you?
Nay’s crazy.
Mmm, yes, of course.
Don’t tell me… You think something is really wrong with Nay?
Now listen… This is the world inside Kanon’s mind. All that you encounter in this world is created by her.
…All that’s left is… Well, you should know. I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.
Nevertheless, it really is hard to judge a book by its cover… And a person by their appearance. Heh heh…

Feinne’s Notes:
You asked for more trolling and your wish has been granted. Though, as you’ll see, Ion’s plenty good at slinging it back at us. There was another gem we could have gotten if we’d asked for help instead of just trying to make the stone, I’ll show that off in a future update where I clean up thought gems we’ve missed for various reasons.

Unsure where to take the stone, she brought it back to the shrine.

You’re so reliable…
By the way, where do you think we should put this?
I see you are atoning for your sins, and taking this quite seriously. This is a great sign.
Ah-! The Morota no Mikoto! Hello!
You insolent fool! How dare you call upon me with such a lack of resolve!
You all are criminals! And, we are the victims. Do you not understand this!?
U-Ummm, actually, I really don’t.
Hmph! So be it. I suggest you place that rock before the shrine. You must have the god purify it.
I understand.
Hmmmm… Ah.
Will this do?
It will. Now, to begin the purification ceremony!
Descend upon us! Oh, great god from above!
…Send us your servant, the pitiful demon who dedicated its life to the fuure of Shaaru, Kanui!
…Huh?
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Kanui Demon Legend!]!

They’d finally managed to track down Kanon in her own mind.

K-Kanon!?
Is this the rock that requires cleansing?
…Huh? O-Oh, yes…
Very well… Let us begin the cleansing.
Oh, rock that has taken on the sins of this demon… Return to the god who created thee…!

It is done. Well then…
Wait there! Kanui!

I must ask… When will The Egg hatch? When will the great god be resurrected?
…I apologize. It is all because I am too weak.
This simply will not do. The Shaaru have pledged their support in any way necessary…
Until then.
…! Not again… This really is troublesome for us.
Kanon… She left in the middle of the conversation…

It is very important to remember, as Nelico pointed out, that everyone and everything in this world but the three outsiders is spawned by Kanon’s own thoughts.

…Certain words…? Well, what can’t she hear?
Mmm… The details are scarce, but it would seem any topic related to her resurrection goes above her head…
That’s it! Say, you seem to know Kanui, right?
Y-Yes…
You must inquire as to why she cannot hear our words… And understand the reason she cannot resurrect.
H-Huuh!?
If the god is not resurrected, no matter how much we rebuild the country, the Shaaru cannot survive.
We’ve done all that we could… But the Kanui refuses to… Or cannot resurrect our god.
We’ve treated her well because she was the link to resurrect our god… If she can’t, we’ll throw her to the ocean!
Into the ocean!? Wh-Why would you do something like that!?
Demons that do not serve us, must be cast away… That is obvious!
No…
If you do not wish to share that fate, I suggest you dedicate your life to the Shaaru.

So when a fake Tattoria in her mind says she should be useful until she’s not then go die, that’s not a healthy sign.

Yeah, I’m starting to worry about her, too.
But, if she can resurrect this god, maybe she’ll tell us something.
Anyway, we need to talk to Kanon.

Feinne’s Notes:
There’s an optional scene at the beach with a bunch of variants, I’m just going to show the path through it that leads to a Thought Gem. I’ll show the rest off in a later update.

Maybe I should ask someone some questions again…?
I prefer Blue Demon/I prefer Yellow Demon/Talk to nobody
How about we go to the Blue Demon?
Oh, you’re back…? Well, then I suggest you start making the next rock.
Why don’t we make the rock together?/You sure are flat/…
Umm, you’re just a doll… And you’re trying to hit on me?
Try again in another 100 years… Maybe I’ll change my mind. Now, go make your rock alone.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Rock Making Date!]!

Feinne’s Notes:
Now for the difficult scene, we need to talk with Kanon. Try and follow the logic of the choices we need to make to pass this.

They returned to the shrine to try and make some headway with Kanon.

Well then… Kanui!
…You were… The one from earlier?
Yes! The truth is… I’ve been asked to take care of you by the Morota no Mikoto…
If you have nothing to say, I must excuse myself.
Ahh! Please, wait!
…What is it? If you have something to say, I suggest you say it.
Oh, no… What I mean is that… We can help you resurrect the god…
AHHHH!
…Oh, can she really not hear anything related to that subject?
Could I try?/We don’t have a choice, let’s go.
Huh? Yeah, of course.

Luckily, they’d figured out the trick.

Yes, I love tea.
Especially, the Sharanoian Sherpa Tea is the best!
I think this is turning into a pickup!/I’ll help make tea/…
H-How dare you hit on me! Unbelievable… The art of tea is sacred.
Calm your mind and heart… Only when you free it, can you hear the virtuous voice from above.
If you like tea, then I would love for you to experience this wonderful world with me. No, you must!
Is that like communicating with God?/Then let’s listen together!/…
That is right. The god is the supreme ruler of this land… A high being that leads the Shaaru…
Nevertheless, perhaps due to my lack of strength… I still cannot manage to summon the god.
At this rate, I will not only fail to fulfill my promise to the Shaaru… I will cause them trouble…
Which reminds me, the Morota no Mikoto mentioned throwing you into the ocean if you failed…
However, it is diligent training that will lead to the resurrection of our god… We must focus…
How do we do that?/We might if we combine our strengths/…
It is with the divine and heavenly mallet that we may open this egg. But, the mallet breaks every time…
According to the Shaaru, the mallet’s strength is determined by the amount of thought put into it.
Also, legends say that those thoughts are what shape the god that is to come…
I failed to even crack the egg… Perhaps it is because my mental strength is still lacking…
Go to the beach for a change of pace/Join me for a walk on the beach?/…
…I see. Yes, perhaps an occasional change in mood will increase the efficiency of my atonement…
I may very well need a change of pace. Maybe I should visit the Beach of Solipsis on my own.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Successful Persuasion!]!
I want to thank you for listening to me today… It was quite fun, I confess…
…There she goes. But, I think I’m starting to understand what’s going on here.

Feinne’s Notes:
So yeah, Kanon can’t hear anything that relates to cooperation or trusting others. If you choose one of those options, she’ll not hear you and you’ll have to start the scene over.

They were able to keep Kanon engaged enough to get her out of the shrine.

So, I guess that means… She has problems trusting others…?
Ooooh! Well, it seems you have more potential as a traveler than I thought!
Whoa! Nelico! When did you…
I never would’ve imagined you would solve this world’s law.
It’s like the lighthouse said… Anything in this world she does not wish to hear, may as well not exist.
And that is… The truth behind Kanon.

Feinne’s Notes:
We have two options here, but we have to visit the Great Egg before we can get anywhere with Kanon.

They decided to check out the giant egg.

Hmm, but I wonder if this egg really is as hard as they said it is.
Try attacking/Leave them alone
Is it going to be okay…? Hmm, but I am a little curious. Maybe we should?
Whoa, it’s no use… Earthes, are you okay?
My arm’s numb…
Ahhh, I’m so sorry, I made you do something strange.
…Huh? There’s a sticker on the side of the egg. Hmm, what’s it say…?
“To easily break the egg: Place your strong feelings into the egg, and hit from both sides to open…”
…Whaa!? It actually has instructions!
I wonder if Kanui knows about this…?
There’s no way you don’t know.
Yeah... And she’s been trying to open this egg for some time now…
But, since it says “from both sides” we probably need to work together on this…

Armed with some important new information, they went to find Kanon.

…Hm? Oh, it’s Kanui. Kanui!
Hey Kanui, you’re here for a change of pace, right?
Yes. I suppose it is quite relaxing.
Huh? Is that a small mallet in your hands?
Huh? O-Oh, yes… It is very important, so I always carry it with me.
I don’t think anyone will try to take it away from you.
You don’t know that… One can never trust those around us.
So that’s why… That’s why you can’t hear people around you.
…? To what are you referring?
No, it’s nothing… More importantly, would you like to break the god’s seal together?
…What’s the matter? You’ve gone silent again. You behave strangely sometimes, you know?
Oh, no, it’s nothing… I was just spacing out a bit.
It’s just like I thought.
Kanui… You can’t trust others, so she can’t hear words like “together” or “trust”.

Though they still had to keep in mind her, well, issues.

I have, just now… And if I try again, you won’t be able to hear it, so I won’t. But, I have…
You jest. And, even if that were true, what would the benefit of that be?
We might be able to resurrect the god…
How would we do that? Resurrecting the god is my task. What could you possibly do?
There is an easy way to break open the egg.
…I have no idea what you mean.
Kanui, surely you must already know. If you put your feelings in and smash it from both sides, it will open.
If you just let someone help you, you can easily solve this.
…It cannot be done. I cannot rely on anyone else.
I would sooner purify my own mind more, so I can open the egg all on my own… Than rely on a stranger.
Why is it that you cannot trust others to this extent?

Especially when it came to Ion herself.

…Huh?
Long ago, humans and Shaaru lived in harmony.
But the humans tricked the king of the Shaaru for their own benefit. As a result, the Shaaru crumbled!
I cannot forget what happened then. That’s exactly why I cannot trust humans.
…No.
If I listen to your sweet-talk, I’ll be deceived. Instead, I choose not to hear anything in the first place.
Instead of relying on someone else, I would rather polish myself, and accomplish the task on my own.
And, what if I’m betrayed? What if this other person hits the egg with ill intentions?
The feelings projected when striking the egg will determine the god’s appearance. I can’t trust anyone.
…Am I, not good enough? I will do my best to put my good feelings forward.
I want to help you, Kanon!
…I cannot trust those words of yours. First of all…
You are the very person who brought the land of Shaaru to ruins!
…E-Even if that’s true, I… But…
Believe in Ion!/…
Huh!?
Are you suggesting she can be trusted? How can you say such a thing with absolutely no evidence!?
it’s fine to be betrayed!/…

When it feels like all you’ve known is betrayal, it’s hard to trust others again. But if you give up on trying, things will never get better.

…I see. Frankly, I’m quite surprised.
It would appear that the two of you are brought together by a very strong bond.
I will accept your feelings, and accept that they are true.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Gaining Trust]!
…In that case, Ionasal, if you insist that much, how about you show us how serious you are…
How serious…?
Yes. Are you confident enough to wager something that means a lot to you? If so, I will accept your feelings.
How can I do that?
It is said that the Morota no Mikoto is able to see through one’s heart. To look at what is truly valuable…
If we go through with this ceremony, and the result is not satisfactory… I will take that from you.
…Very well. I understand. But, if it goes well, what will happen?
Huh?
I don’t think it’s a fair wager for me to take all the risk. You’ve already doubted me… So prove it.
If the ceremony goes well, then I get to take something very important from you. How is that?
…V-Very well, of course, I do not mind that.
Hehehe, then it’s decided!

Ion had a bit of a mean streak that wasn’t quite obvious in the real world.

I guess I have to try really hard, so I can answer your feelings, too…

They headed to the shrine to get ready for the ceremony.

Both of you will wager something “very important”, and test your faith, correct?
That’s right.
As you know, I will be able to see what these things are, that are valuable to you. You cannot lie…
That’s why we’ve come to you.
Are you okay with this? Pink Demon?
Yes, I am!
Very well. In that case, I will peek into both of your hearts, and determine what you value.
…!

Hmmm, I see… Quite fascinating… Yes, yes…
Ahh, I think this will turn into a battle from which neither one of you can walk away.
…Of course I will not lose. Humans lack honesty. There is no way this will succeed…
I’m going to do everything that I can. And that way, the land of the Shaaru will be complete.
Very well! Well then, let us head to the great egg!

They all headed to the egg together.

I wonder what Kanon values so much…? I’m actually kinda curious.
I’m interested/Are you confident?
If I win, she’ll tell us, so… We need to make this a big success!
Are you ready? When I say the words, you will both strike with the mallet.
Kusako: What’s going to happen…? I sure hopw the god will be resurrected…
This will be a spectacle for the ages, whoever wins, and whoever loses!
On your marks!
Earthes, I’m going to do this… Please, help me, and place your trust in me, too!
That Kanon isn’t rejected by this world… And…
So that she can start trusting people again…
fire away!!
Haaaaaaaaaaah!
Put in all thoughts/Leave it to Ion
The egg broke!? Yes… YES!!
The egg is… No, that’s impossible? You mean Ionasal’s feelings were genuine!?
No, not yet… We still cannot call this a successful resurrection, Ionasal!
Ooooooh! The egg is… It’s hatching!
Kusako: H-How divine…

What came out was, well, what you’d expect from a big goofy egg.

Th-This is…
…A sparrow? No…

I’m sorry, Kanui. I guess my feelings were not strong enough… Just like you said.
I can’t believe I’ve summoned the great god into such a shape…
Chirp chirp… Chirp!
…Huh?
Waaaaaaaah! I-It’s adorable! I’m calling you “Chun”! And, welcome to this world!

One thing Ion didn’t know, though, was that Kanon really liked birds.

The divine ruler of the Shaaru kingdom has descended! Lord Chun!
Huh? Huuuuuuuuh!?
Hm. This will be a great god to rule over our land…
And thus, the Pink Demon is the victor of this wager… There are no objections, I presume?
…I-I have no choice… I cannot deny the birth of such an amazing god. I accept defeat in this matter.
R-Really!? Th-That’s great! Kanui… And everyone…!
And there was much rejoicing! The land of Shaaru is once more!

They adjourned to the Shaaru village to settle the bet.

…! I am prepared…
There are many items that you “value”. Thus, I have taken the one that seemed to mean the least to you.
…S-Such effort, for me? And, what exactly is this item I value? But not so much…
Mmm, that would be, THIS! You must give this to the Pink Demon!
Huh…
…Eh?
Whaaaaaaaaaaa-!?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa-!?

As it happened, the thing Kanon truly valued was her pride.

Now, Pink Demon. You should stand proud. It’s not everyday someone can take Kanui’s “pride” away from her.
Yes, as you know her self-importance and pride is second to none… Hahahahaha!
I-I cannot believe you would make me… Resort to such disgraceful behavior…!
Now, now, now…! More!

Or maybe I should say that was what she truly wanted to give to Ion, because otherwise it wouldn’t have happened.

Ahhh! N-No! You mustn’t! Don’t step on me like that-!
Whoa, Kanui… Your body is so soft. It’s actually really addicting to step on you like this.
I-Ionasal! Y-You’re not making sense anymore-! Ah-!
Now, now, keep going. It is your way of showing affection, and love. Take all of her pride away from her!
Okay!
Ionasal, wait! Y-You’re enjoying yourself too much-!!
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Kanon is Masochistic?]!

It seemed a resolution that everyone could enjoy was reached.

N-NO, you can’t Nelico! That was um… Mental discipline!
There’s no need to deny it. I think you were quite enjoying that, if I do say so myself.
Huh? W-Well… Maybe I did, a little?
And you. Don’t tell me you didn’t enjoy that, too, right?
Of course/No way!
Yes, yes. Honesty is the best solution here. Looking into people’s hearts is a cruel yet sweet business.
Whoa-! Something lit up!
AH, of course. That’s the Embrace Role. It seems the bond between you and Kanon has strengthened.
Now, hurry to the Hymnofort. It’s time for a little bit of fun.

Feinne’s Notes:
So if you don’t help Ion with the egg it fails to hatch and Ion loses the bet. As to what she values, it turns out the one and only thing is herself. At which point Kanon is, well, quite excited, and I think we’re kicked out.

Hmm? Oh, well, sometimes things like that happen. I’ll tell you when you’re older.

Kanui.
Kanon will do now. I see that so much has gone on this time…
I’m sorry, too… I didn’t mean to step on you like that.
N-No, that’s fine. A-And, it really wasn’t that bad, either…
R-Really…? The truth is, I kind of enjoyed it, myself…
Now that we all know your respective fetishes… Hurry up with the ceremony.
Ahh! I’m sorry! B-But… This sparrow really is cute.
From now on, we will rely on your strength, too. I look forward to working with you.
Y-Yes, me too! So, umm… What are we supposed to do for this ritual?
Hold Kanon’s hand, and walk through that door… That completes the ritual, and strengthens your bond.
I see, okay then… Well, good luck, Kanon!
And you, too, Ion.
Ionasal… In light of this incident, I think I need to start trusting others…
It’s true, I’ve been betrayed in the past, but… That doesn’t mean I can lose faith in all of mankind…
It would be a shame for me to lose our little shining stone because of that.
Yes! I think so, too!
I hope we may see each other again.
I think we will be able to polish each other’s minds on an even deeper level.

That’s, well, that’s it.

Now, bed time. Hmm? Well, that story just reminded me of something, that’s all. Just go to sleep already, jeez.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: To the Demon World

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Was this the dive where we find out that Kanon really is excited to have Ion back, or was that another one?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What is it with :japan: and masochism?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hellioning posted:

What is it with :japan: and masochism?

I think a study of porn site numbers was done that suggests the more publicly repressive a society is, the kinkier poo poo they're into in private.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I think a study of porn site numbers was done that suggests the more publicly repressive a society is, the kinkier poo poo they're into in private.

So, in North Korea...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

AfroSquirrel posted:

So, in North Korea...

They have all those pictures of their leaders for a reason.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's funny because Kanon being kinda hot for Ion is the sort of thing that overshadows it but one of the biggest takeaways is something you won't even see unless you gently caress up, that as judged by the Tattoria-alike the literal only thing Ion cares about is herself. Part of that might be just Kanon's judgment but she doesn't fight the assessment at all.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

life_source posted:

:negative:

N-No...

Delta...

Delta owns...

Look at this idiot fucker.

Ion owns.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Here's the music for Kanons genometrics. It's my favorite one!

I still think Feinne should link all of the tracks as they appear for the first time at least, the game is all about music after all.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

RIP Delta

He'll never reluctantly sing and dance for another crafting sequence again.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Here's the music for Kanons genometrics. It's my favorite one!

I still think Feinne should link all of the tracks as they appear for the first time at least, the game is all about music after all.

I will endeavor to remember, though it's hard for me to tell when new tracks are actually appearing sometimes since I'm almost always well ahead of the LP in the game.

life_source posted:

Ion owns.

That's part of the thing about trolling Ion, she's better at it than we are so she slings it back at us very well.

Oh, so we've got a boss fight coming up and you'll actually get to hear some of the alternate combat dialog for Ion, that Dive pushed her way into the O/M corner and turns it all hilariously insincere.

Argas posted:

RIP Delta

We've actually only got one more update of Ion and Earthes plot for now, though maybe I'll do Tattoria's shop scenes (since there were only like four and some syntheses) and the purification talks we unlocked after Kanon 1 before we switch back over. Depends how I'm feeling.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This isn't what I meant when I asked for more homoeroticism. Not even a little bit.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Feinne posted:

the literal only thing Ion cares about is herself
More and more I'm starting to suspect shenanigans. This is not the terminally idiotic moe-blob I know from Ciel Nosurge :catstare:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

More and more I'm starting to suspect shenanigans. This is not the terminally idiotic moe-blob I know from Ciel Nosurge :catstare:

Well even considering what we know so far, Ion's first Genometrics level is literally an elaborate security system designed to be impossible to complete and Nelico flat out told us that subconsciously she doesn't really trust us at all.

Something could be up, or maybe it's just character developement? I'm interested to see where they go with all this.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

It's great, but uh...

Wow, Earthes is big in this picture, and he's kneeling.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well even considering what we know so far, Ion's first Genometrics level is literally an elaborate security system designed to be impossible to complete and Nelico flat out told us that subconsciously she doesn't really trust us at all.

Something could be up, or maybe it's just character developement? I'm interested to see where they go with all this.
It seems like a reasonable reaction to how hilariously often she got deceived and betrayed in the first game.

Feinne posted:

Oh, so we've got a boss fight coming up and you'll actually get to hear some of the alternate combat dialog for Ion, that Dive pushed her way into the O/M corner and turns it all hilariously insincere.
M and not S? That's weird.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I kind of wonder if there's some semantics involved in saying that what Ion values most is "herself."

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Well again at some level it's Kanon's judgment that she's selfish but that's probably not all of it.

Ion's kind of like Luca except she is much, much better at seeming endearing even through stuff she's probably fuming inside about.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd just leave it at better than Luca because Luca is Luca.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I... I liked Luca :saddowns:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Then you'll like Luca+ even more...?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yes, I really like Ion as a character too. You see a lot of development in her through Ciel Nosurge, and I'm enjoying the payoff so far in this game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Luca is a terrible person who did terrible things but got better and stopped doing terrible things when she realized what a terrible person she was.

Ion, as far as I can tell, is a naive, easily manipulated idiot who stops being naive and easily manipulated because she's tired of everyone's poo poo.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I may have missed this but will the player character of Ciel Nosurge come up in any specific fashion?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

cokerpilot posted:

I may have missed this but will the player character of Ciel Nosurge come up in any specific fashion?

You did miss it. If the game is connected to Ciel Nosurge, then Earthes will be the player character of Ciel Nosurge.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since I like wasting my time encoding and uploading videos for this, anyone interested in a little song magic showcase? just the stuff we unlocked so far.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Blaze Dragon posted:

You did miss it. If the game is connected to Ciel Nosurge, then Earthes will be the player character of Ciel Nosurge.

It's probably better to assume Earthes is the Ciel nosurge player anyway.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Do they explain Ion's lack of trust in the player has Ciel Nosurge save data? I mean, I guess the current explanation still covers it. It's one thing to help her piece together her memories and stuff but all that was to get her back so she can try and save the world. Still kind of a dick punch to someone who played the first game if it doesn't try to explain further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Argas posted:

Do they explain Ion's lack of trust in the player has Ciel Nosurge save data? I mean, I guess the current explanation still covers it. It's one thing to help her piece together her memories and stuff but all that was to get her back so she can try and save the world. Still kind of a dick punch to someone who played the first game if it doesn't try to explain further.

Some of her later Dives will make it very clear why she doesn't truly trust the player even if they're the same person as in Ciel Nosurge.

I'm partway through an update, should have it done later.

• Locked thread