Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No poo poo, if you you and 10 of your buddies with shields and spears have to fight a disorganized mob in a narrow hallway then you don't spread out for some one-on-one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Night's Watch actually did better in the same scenario. These Essos warriors... maybe a bit overrated?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

So Jon pretty much has to be a Baratheon right? That was the rule of shadow pussy magic, correct?

The popular theory:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/07/17/jon_snow_s_mother_theory_about_lyanna_stark_and_rhaegar_targaryen_explained.html

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Solvent posted:

You know, I was upset by that tonight, re-watching tonight's episode. It seems that the Unsullied would have pulled into a phalanx, instead they fought spears against daggers in a corridor.
Fearless super-soldiers, trained together since birth... you might expect at least a basic knowledge of how to work as a unit.
10 to 1 casualties still seems a bit too good for disorganized rebels with no peripheral vision.

It's really kind of a bummer. I just rewatched the first episode of Rome and it really made me sad that we're not seeing badass unsullied phalanx tactics. It does seem like they're out their element in these alleys though, so i guess that makes sense?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

EccoRaven posted:

Prepare for a lot of really weird responses.

I personally like to think that Jon actually is just Ned's kid with some camp follower, and the reason why he doted on him so much was plain-old paternal affection :3:

Yes, yes. That's a possible but less interesting answer. People lost their poo poo in previous GoT threads because apparently it's a book thing, but at this point it's pretty clear and reasonable conjecture that Jon is more than he's claimed to be.

Didn't Littlefinger even say in this episode that it "wasn't Ned's way" to bang out some tavern wench? It's pretty obvious to me they're trying to imply Jon is Lyanna's kid, since everybody who cared about Lyanna has been dead for seasons, and they still devoted an entire scene to exposition on that point.

That, coupled with the king's blood fascination with Melisandre, pretty overtly suggests Jon is either Robert or Rhaegar's kid. Probably the latter, since he was also brought up twice in this episode.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

k-spar posted:

It's really kind of a bummer. I just rewatched the first episode of Rome and it really made me sad that we're not seeing badass unsullied phalanx tactics. It does seem like they're out their element in these alleys though, so i guess that makes sense?

Or more likely, what we as an audience are supposed to get is "the Sons of the Harpy have surprise-attacked a bunch of Unsullied, and now Dany's position is significantly weaker," but actually having enough actors + the proper choreography is expensive so they'll just give us what we saw as a narrative shortcut.

But yeah just like what we saw with Yara trying to save Theon last season, it didn't really work.

Well doi, I just wasn't sure if that was kosher for this thread since it's a theory, but it's based entirely around the books.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

In It For The Tank posted:

They are. They're also supposed to be numb to pain (nipple) but that kind of got dropped somewhere along the way as well.

I believe it was mentioned that the Unsullied drank a specific potion to dull their pain; presumably, Daenerys has ended that dehumanizing custom; another example about how her casting away of tradition, morally, is making her weaker, practically.

Xealot posted:

Any king works for Melisandre's sex magic, but yeah, he's not just Ned's bastard. She has very specific tastes and she was giving a real hard sell, there.

Also, they haven't mentioned Lyanna in seasons. That can't be coincidental.

His brother was a king, but this episode also takes an effort to mention Rhaegar twice and his "kidnap and rape" of Lyanna once. So it could go either way.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Xealot posted:

Didn't Littlefinger even say in this episode that it "wasn't Ned's way" to bang out some tavern wench? .

Stannis Baratheon, but basically, I agree.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Xealot posted:

Yes, yes. That's a possible but less interesting answer. People lost their poo poo in previous GoT threads because apparently it's a book thing, but at this point it's pretty clear and reasonable conjecture that Jon is more than he's claimed to be.

Didn't Littlefinger even say in this episode that it "wasn't Ned's way" to bang out some tavern wench? It's pretty obvious to me they're trying to imply Jon is Lyanna's kid, since everybody who cared about Lyanna has been dead for seasons, and they still devoted an entire scene to exposition on that point.

That, coupled with the king's blood fascination with Melisandre, pretty overtly suggests Jon is either Robert or Rhaegar's kid. Probably the latter, since he was also brought up twice in this episode.

Stannis was the one who commented on Jon because his wife was dissing him.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

tin can made man posted:

I believe it was mentioned that the Unsullied drank a specific potion to dull their pain; presumably, Daenerys has ended that dehumanizing custom; another example about how her casting away of tradition, morally, is making her weaker, practically.

♪not in the show♪

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

In It For The Tank posted:

♪not in the show♪

poo poo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rheagar seems like he was a pretty chill dude.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

tin can made man posted:

Once again, I agree, but to my knowledge she did not stop the practice. In fact, I remember her ordering more Unsullied being made in the books, and there being only a problem with the fact that they are trained since they are toddlers. The warlocks in the House of the Undying also drink that same potion, it's what turns their lips blue.

e: I agree that she is foolishly casting away traditions and culture without concern.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Wall stuff is ok King's Landing stuff is ok rest of show feels kinda dumb sand snakes scene was super bad I expect the show to become more and more of a guilty pleasure until we end with Dungeons and Dragons fireballs and poo poo.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Solvent posted:

Stannis Baratheon, but basically, I agree.

Right, Stannis said it; my mistake. But it's also true.

I'm glad Tyrion called out how stupid Jorah's "plan" is. Because what? Why would Dany give any particular gently caress about Tyrion Lannister?

"Khaleesi, you said you'd kill me on sight if I returned. But hey, remember that guy who betrayed your father by switching allegiance to the Usurper? Well, that guy's dead...but here's his dwarf son you've never met!"

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Tyrion has a famous last name and is the rightful heir to one of the seven kingdoms and former hand of the king who organized the defense of a city she has to invade.

He helps her take Kings Landing and also provides a less chaotic transition of power. Kind of like what the Boltons want with Sansa.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Xealot posted:

I'm glad Tyrion called out how stupid Jorah's "plan" is. Because what? Why would Dany give any particular gently caress about Tyrion Lannister?

"Khaleesi, you said you'd kill me on sight if I returned. But hey, remember that guy who betrayed your father by switching allegiance to the Usurper? Well, that guy's dead...but here's his dwarf son you've never met!"

I am too, we can always count on Tyrion being the jaded voice of reason.
Jorah's always been portrayed as being impulsive and lacking morals. "Poachers? Sell them into slavery!"
Jackass.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Tyrion has a famous last name and is the rightful heir to one of the seven kingdoms and former hand of the king who organized the defense of a city she has to invade.

He helps her take Kings Landing and also provides a less chaotic transition of power. Kind of like what the Boltons want with Sansa.

So you're saying that when the Targaryen Mother of Dragons retakes Westeros, the hated "Imp" would lend her legitimacy?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Xealot posted:

Right, Stannis said it; my mistake. But it's also true.

The plan isn't completely stupid. He got exiled for selling her out. He shows back up with a dwarf that he could cash in for anything he was ever hoping to get by selling her out. It is actually some pretty drat strong evidence he isn't for sale at this point.

If someone thinks you were going to sell them out for money and tells you to get out of their sight and to never show your face again... and you walk in the door at a later date and drop a winning lotto ticket on the table and tell them to burn the ticket... it is going to at least give them pause. The dwarf is the lotto ticket.

It isn't fool proof by any means, but it isn't the worst plan either. A plan with a non-zero chance of working is still a non-zero chance of him getting what he wants.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

you know none of these people have seen Selmy fight in 20 years or thereabouts right?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Spear and shield would have been somewhat useful in the narrow alleyways they started in, and if they had kept in formation. The Unsullied aren't superhuman, they just work really well in formation and have no fear so they are less likely to break formation. (Grey Worm seems to be an exception because he was supposed to be a leader or something?)

Splitting up into loose groups of half a dozen and fighting individually is like the opposite of what they should be doing.

They seem to be loosely based on working like a phalanx so yea, scattering and running around is a pretty bad idea.

Junkfist posted:

I expect the show to become more and more of a guilty pleasure until we end with Dungeons and Dragons fireballs and poo poo.

This is a complaint on a show with three dragons.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Gold mask? Check. Bright yellow outfit? Check. Broad daylight? Check. Targets know that people dressed like you have killed their buddies? Check.

Stealth mode engaged.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 4, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

override367 posted:

you know none of these people have seen Selmy fight in 20 years or thereabouts right?

It's true. But I'm one of those people who thought he was like that Yakuza guy from the end of that Simpsons episode.

"But the little guy hasn't done anything yet! And you know it's gonna be good!!"

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Cyclomatic posted:

If someone thinks you were going to sell them out for money and tells you to get out of their sight and to never show your face again... and you walk in the door at a later date and drop a winning lotto ticket on the table and tell them to burn the ticket... it is going to at least give them pause. The dwarf is the lotto ticket.

"Thanks for loving bringing me the guy that I was just told -Nod to Varys- was on his way here already. A slaver, traitor and now a kidnapper. Off with his head!"

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Xealot posted:

It's true. But I'm one of those people who thought he was like that Yakuza guy from the end of that Simpsons episode.

"But the little guy hasn't done anything yet! And you know it's gonna be good!!"

Game of Thrones basically exists to disappoint us in this regard

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I couldn't help but wonder how the Sons of the Harpy sourced all those gold masks. Did they just happen to have a huge supply lying around in case they needed to form a guerilla resistance or did team Dany just completely miss a huge order being placed for them with the city's craftsmen?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Solvent posted:

So you're saying that when the Targaryen Mother of Dragons retakes Westeros, the hated "Imp" would lend her legitimacy?

I'm saying having previous members of the ruling class in your coalition when you are a foreign invader is a plus. I guess. It's a convenience not a necessity though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Slashrat posted:

I couldn't help but wonder how the Sons of the Harpy sourced all those gold masks. Did they just happen to have a huge supply lying around in case they needed to form a guerilla resistance or did team Dany just completely miss a huge order being placed for them with the city's craftsmen?

They are rich slavemasters, I just assumed they used to be orgy accessories.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I'm saying having previous members of the ruling class in your coalition when you are a foreign invader is a plus. I guess. It's a convenience not a necessity though.

Possibly. Who really knows, the character is as beloved by fans, as he is hated by the fictional citizens of Westeros. This is uncharted territory. I spent most of last season wondering how they were going to convince Peter Dinklage to ride around on a pig.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Solvent posted:

"Thanks for loving bringing me the guy that I was just told -Nod to Varys- was on his way here already. A slaver, traitor and now a kidnapper. Off with his head!"

Sure, if she is 100% committed to shooting down his plan no matter what, then yea it isn't going to work.

Of course, this assumes she didn't clap Varys in chains as soon as he shows up and is all too pleased to add the dwarf to her collection or usurpers in chains, and says to herself: he has good taste in traitors to kidnap and he turned his back on getting his lordship back to boot, maybe I'll give this a second thought.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They are rich slavemasters, I just assumed they used to be orgy accessories.

I assumed they were former pit fighters. How the hell else could they have any chance on taking on the Unsullied. Them being rich slavemasters just adds another wrinkle to the misery of "what are the writers thinking".

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Junkfist posted:

I'm glad they're dead.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The gold mask thing is nice drama, but yeah, Dany, loving just ask who the loving goldsmith is and talk to him.

Unsullied with spears has been dumb always, as is their splitting up for no reason. But then, if they didn't split up, they would have just massacred those guys and the plot wouldn't advance

Jorah is dumb.

The Lyanna talk, Melisandre's general thirst for Jon's seed, Stannis pointing out the obvious 'Yeah, Ned probably didn't gently caress some rando' all point to 'Jon Snow, Targaryen'. Which is super disappointing because the Targaryens are loving terrible and i don't want them to be the good guys :(

The Sand Snakes are loving stupid and also their plan is psychotic. I mean, loving Oberyn himself was loving appalled at the idea that someone would hurt Myrcella. And that scene looked amateurish as gently caress.

RIP all the godamn Tyrells, Cersei sent her killin' guard with you

withak posted:

Rheagar seems like he was a pretty chill dude.

*starts a bloody war that the country still has not recovered from to get his dick wetter*

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Solvent posted:

I assumed they were former pit fighters. How the hell else could they have any chance on taking on the Unsullied. Them being rich slavemasters just adds another wrinkle to the misery of "what are the writers thinking".

Rich slavemaster hands a pit fighter a mask. "These men are destroying our way of life. Kill them."

Rich master class telling poor lower classes to go murder people under the guise of "they hate the way we live" where have I heard that before hmmmm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That lines up with the reading of "Dany is an Obama allegory", so it checks out.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Solvent posted:

Yes clearly no one from the noble classes is ever any kind of fighter.
Also as others have said, the Unsullied are renowned for their discipline as soldiers and are used to fight other armies. They are not a peacekeeping occupation force. They are not trained to be individual warriors.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The stupidity of the Unsullied fighting reminded me of how mad I was during the gate fight at the Wall. Oh hey, we're in a narrow tunnel fighting large targets, should we bring spears? Nah, swords. Sword will be the ticket.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

popewiles posted:

Yes clearly no one from the noble classes is ever any kind of fighter.

That being said, they did say in the premiere that the harpies are poor people being paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Cyclomatic posted:

Sure, if she is 100% committed to shooting down his plan no matter what, then yea it isn't going to work.

Of course, this assumes she didn't clap Varys in chains as soon as he shows up and is all too pleased to add the dwarf to her collection or usurpers in chains, and says to herself: he has good taste in traitors to kidnap and he turned his back on getting his lordship back to boot, maybe I'll give this a second thought.

Possible, it seems she puts a high value on loyalty. What she defines as loyalty to me seems to be similar to the capricious whims of a teenage girl.
ie: "Mother! Mercy! I killed him for you". That was a bad move, executing him, but she felt had to look hard I guess.
Though I liked your lottery ticket simile, I doubt I would have accepted the return any of the disloyal friends I've had in my life for anything.
I would be more likely to take said ticket, and thrown them out on their backstabbing assess .

• Locked thread