Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Narcissus1916 posted:

Mario Kart 8 really is the system seller. I know it was for me.

Hyrule Warriors was the system seller for me, but if it didn't exist then MK8 would definitely have been it.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People don't support or endorse devs who do that, they just have no frame of reference so they don't know how much things cost or where their money will actually go (and nor do many developers, to be fair). There's also the issue of people getting hyper-critical whenever devs propose spending money on things they feel aren't worth the expense, like "rent" and "food", so devs just lie or obfuscate their budgets to omit anything that might set people off.

Yeah there's plenty of say, 250k kickstarters where the guy is only budgeting 100k for the game and the other 150k is "living expenses" or whatever and most people call them out on it, saying that they're obviously just cash-grabbing or that Kickstarter should solely be for funding the project itself, not the project creator's personal life.

I just honestly don't see what there is to be upset about in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Donate to ensure the game is released on every conceivable platform day-one" is not an unreasonable proposition.

Noone is so naive as to think they were actually gonna make their game for $200k or whatever, or that they weren't always going to raise way more, but they've been saying for months that they were open to external funding and the idea of being platform-exclusive if it meant someone else (Nintendo) would pay for everything.

All that being said, their budget is still tiny for the sort of game they're promising (or allowing people to imagine). This ain't Star Citizen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"Donate to ensure the game is released on every conceivable platform day-one" is not an unreasonable proposition.

Noone is so naive as to think they were actually gonna make their game for $200k or whatever, or that they weren't always going to raise way more, but they've been saying for months that they were open to external funding and the idea of being platform-exclusive if it meant someone else (Nintendo) would pay for everything.

All that being said, their budget is still tiny for the sort of game they're promising (or allowing people to imagine). This ain't Star Citizen.

Star Citizen had a small initial goal to reach, but somehow snowballed out of control and got a gigantic amount of backers and the devs just kinda rolled with it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

So much for the argument that games don't get made unless they are kickstarted then. Like jesus christ, this was the whole reason some of you had a meltdown over what I was saying last night, now it turns out you were just trolling. Not even surprised.

Yooka-Laylee would be a whole lot smaller and a whole lot less awesome without the million+ dollars they've gotten so far.

I. Will. Again. Say. If you want to wait til games are done and released before buying, THAT IS FINE!!!!! But there is absolutely no reason to be a goddamn prick to people who want to support Kickstarters.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Snuffman posted:

Perhaps? I dunno, I found the Wii store easier to navigate. That said, I was usually just looking for classic games under the [Insert Classic Console Title Here] option.

I'm a bad digital game supporter. :(

Yeah click the console and then browse one page at a time, each page with like six games, in alphabetical order. Then to purchase click through about six screens filling in forms on most of them with a Wiimote pointer keyboard. Wait for something to fully download before continuing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Page 666 is looking to be an appropriately bad page

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There a Koji Igarashi kickstarter coming any day now, so look forward to running through all these arguments again in the near future.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What a horrible page to have a curse.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my loving god shut up about how cynical you are insufferable fucks

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Narcissus1916 posted:

Anyone have tips on how to control the camera for Captain Toad. I dig the game's aesthetic and the level design is fun, but I'm just CONSTANTLY fighting the camera. What's the ideal setup? Use the right stick and R to dash?

And is there no way to turn off the gyro controls? I keep getting frustrated at the awful camera, rage shake the gamepad and end up loving myself up even further.

Went back to 3d World and attempted to beat the World Crown Toad stage. gently caress whoever thought that ANYTHING time sensitive should be tied to tapping the mic button on the gamepad. Twat.

How loving hard are you shaking the control? I have never, ever accidentally moved the camera because my hands twitched. I use the R-stick to move the camera and then one of the face buttons to dash. Dashing really isn't that useful most of the time. Knowing where to move is way more important than moving quickly. Further, you should move your camera to the angle you need before dashing and you shouldn't be moving the camera until you've completed a move. Play the game carefully and think a step ahead. It doesn't start to get hard until Episode 2 and even then it's just a bit more outside the box thinking that Episode 1.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Breadallelogram posted:

so he's correct?

They are backed by venture capitalists and the game will come out regardless of whether the Kickstarter fails or succeeds, though its obvious by this point that it will be successful. To me its also obvious that they are planning to do all of the so called stretch goals anyway, and associating the monetary values that they did with them was more PR bullshit, albeit PR bullshit with googly eyes. The whole thing is advertising for a game that does not need more funding. I'm fine with it but if you think you are really helping make or break the project with your donation, well, you aren't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

What a horrible page to have a curse.

Pomp posted:

Oh my loving god shut up about how cynical you are insufferable fucks

Welcome to the uncute page of the cute thread. Hail Satan :devil:.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Anyone have tips on how to control the camera for Captain Toad. I dig the game's aesthetic and the level design is fun, but I'm just CONSTANTLY fighting the camera. What's the ideal setup? Use the right stick and R to dash?

And is there no way to turn off the gyro controls? I keep getting frustrated at the awful camera, rage shake the gamepad and end up loving myself up even further.

Went back to 3d World and attempted to beat the World Crown Toad stage. gently caress whoever thought that ANYTHING time sensitive should be tied to tapping the mic button on the gamepad. Twat.

You can use the R-Stick to aim too, and I have no goddamn clue how you can have trouble with using the camera on the regular maps. All it does is circle around and raise/lower the perspective :shrug:.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I'll give the WiiU eshop credit as one of the better console online shops if for no other reason then it hasn't crashed on me like that damned PS3 Playstation Store.

See whats on sale? *CRASH* See whats in my cart? *CRASH* Try to checkout? *CRASH TWICE*.

The 3DS eshop is the real nightmare but even then I can mostly find what i'm looking for.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Contacted customer support and had them transfer the NNID from my old Wii U to my new one. I'll be able to play MonHun again in...4-5 days.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

I'll give the WiiU eshop credit as one of the better console online shops if for no other reason then it hasn't crashed on me like that damned PS3 Playstation Store.

See whats on sale? *CRASH* See whats in my cart? *CRASH* Try to checkout? *CRASH TWICE*.

The 3DS eshop is the real nightmare but even then I can mostly find what i'm looking for.

The 3DS eshop has been better for me over the last year, but I second what you are saying about the PS3 store, and the PSN store website almost never works. I love the eshop on Wii U though, its easy to navigate and using it from the gamepad is cool for some reason that I don't know how to describe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Every estore sucks balls, even Steam, at content discovery. Steam has the best content delivery, and the best method of promoting the content they want you to buy, but as for finding something yourself it isn't any better than the other lovely stores. The WiiU store has a really good front page and categories off of that, though.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
you guys don't kickstarter shame

Banjo Kazooie sucked, Kickstarter sucks, I'm pretty sure you've all lost your mind. I'll check out Yucca Laylee if it's good though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So uh hey that Splatoon Direct is soon right?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3 days or so.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
we should kickstart another splatoon

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

zolthorg posted:

They literally asked for a fake amount of money with the intention people would donate 10-20x as much so they could actually have a budget and hire staff and finish a game in 2-3 years.

Peter Molyneux did it, Doublefine did it, people seem to like and support this behaviour for some reason.

It's objectively the best way to make money on kickstarter. People are motivated to give more money by stretch goals, so if you set a realistic goal then you are robbing your project of money.

It's also really unethical, yes.

Edit: Were you expecting designers that are making a 'collectathon' game to suddenly start promoting psychologically healthy behavior?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 4, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think it's a little spurious to say they expected to blow through all their goals in one day, though. They were clearly confident (and so they should be, their pre-release PR has been meticulous) but they were also geared up for a really long campaign and now they're pretty much left to twiddle their thumbs until E3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think it's a little spurious to say they expected to blow through all their goals in one day, though. They were clearly confident (and so they should be, their pre-release PR has been meticulous) but they were also geared up for a really long campaign and now they're pretty much left to twiddle their thumbs until E3.

Their next stretch goal's a pretty good one, excess-budget-wise; At the 1.5 million mark they're going to go for a full orchestral score for the music. That's a lot of ukelele's and kazoos :ohdear:.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their next stretch goal's a pretty good one, excess-budget-wise; At the 1.5 million mark they're going to go for a full orchestral score for the music. That's a lot of ukelele's and kazoos :ohdear:.

15,000 ukelele's from Guitar Center to be exact.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

alright now consider me excited

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The funny thing is that some backers are complaining because it's not exactly like it was in the original games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

The funny thing is that some backers are complaining because it's not exactly like it was in the original games.

Kirkhope's music will sound the same anyway

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it must be exhausting being so cynical and bewildered all the time

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I really like the Tingle Bottle system they've got going on in Wind Waker HD. It gives me an excuse to slow down, take in the sights, and try and find dumb poo poo to take a pictograph of so I can draw something stupid to go along with it.

It honestly brings new life to this game that I had already beaten several years ago. More games should have a Tingle Bottle-like system.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Cliff Racer posted:

They are backed by venture capitalists and the game will come out regardless of whether the Kickstarter fails or succeeds, though its obvious by this point that it will be successful. To me its also obvious that they are planning to do all of the so called stretch goals anyway, and associating the monetary values that they did with them was more PR bullshit, albeit PR bullshit with googly eyes. The whole thing is advertising for a game that does not need more funding. I'm fine with it but if you think you are really helping make or break the project with your donation, well, you aren't.

That's not how game development works. You don't hit a magic number and then put whatever the gently caress you want in the game, because every extra feature takes time and money.

Take the simultaneous console release stretch goal. Say you want to make sure a Wii U version is ready on launch day. Well, you need to port it. That means reworking controls so they feel correct on the gamepad, which is going to take up some design time. All the platform-specific code (graphics, sound, input interfaces) need to be redone, which is going to take coding time. If you want to do something interesting on the gamepad there's an art and coding cost there. Then you need to make sure there's no Wii U specific bugs, which is QA time. That means either you can have your current team do it after PC launch (and fund them through game sales) or hire more people at the start of the project (and fund them through kickstarter).

Yeah, the game will come out regardless, they say so much in their kickstarter, but unless you have insider knowledge about how much venture capital they raised and how that money is already budgeted saying that all the stretch goals are already in-scope is bullshit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I sure do love reading page after page of literal bitches having slapfights over kickstarter, that's good internet

Personally the part that bugs me is that you don't pronounce "ukelele" that way

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Grats on ruining a badass page that should have been dedicated to Bowser with horrible kickstarter chat. Here, have this, you fuckers.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm updating the Sexy Nintendo list.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wow Gorgolflox. Bowser is desirable cause he's a loving father of both his real son and 7 adopted children and is a beloved king in his kingdom and you reduce him to a mere sex object. I am ashamed of you and may God have mercy on your soul

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Wow Gorgolflox. Bowser is desirable cause he's a loving father of both his real son and 7 adopted children and is a beloved king in his kingdom and you reduce him to a mere sex object. I am ashamed of you and may God have mercy on your soul

He also kidnaps women and is quite clearly a sexual predator though.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I said come in! posted:

He can't help it, he's a turtle demon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bowser's tail is very phallic in this official artwork. This brings new meaning and subtext to the climactic battle in Super Mario 64, IMO.

Mario is a bully and homophobe who takes Bowser's manifestation of sexuality and grabs and uses it as a tool to literally beat the homosexuality out of him, merrily shouting "So long Gay Bowser!" as he attempts to murder him with explosives.

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 4, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
maybe mario is jackin him off

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

noirstronaut posted:

maybe mario is jackin him off

Mario Party 11 is gonna be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I said come in! posted:

Um, he obviously hangs out with Peach to play GTA co-op with her and there's no sex in the Marioverse, only storks delivering babies, duh???

elf help book posted:

Mario Party 11 is gonna be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryfkEEGAytY&t=14s
that was in Mario Party 8

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 4, 2015

• Locked thread