Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The motherlode is the maximum carry on dimensions, but about 8L bigger than every other "maximum carry on" bag I've ever seen. Is there a trick to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yes. It's weird and airlines hate it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blinkman987 posted:

The motherlode is the maximum carry on dimensions, but about 8L bigger than every other "maximum carry on" bag I've ever seen. Is there a trick to it?

It has a zippered area for expansion, that could be the difference? When you use that it gets pretty big. I've never used it on a European budget airline so can't speak for an airline that is really strict. But comfortably full it fits fine in the overhead bin of regional jets and it fits long-ways on mainlines. It fits under the seat but is a little long to be fully underneath, I got yelled at in an exit row for that once.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 4, 2015

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Thoguh posted:

It has a zippered area for expansion, that could be the difference? When you use that it gets pretty big. I've never used it on a European budget airline so can't speak for an airline that is really strict. But comfortably full it fits fine in the overhead bin of regional jets and it fits long-ways on mainlines. It fits under the seat but is a little long to be fully underneath, I got yelled at in an exit row for that once.

The motherlode is actually slightly over euro carry on size when not packed. When packed it can easily be over. Each of the dimensions are like .25-.75in over the actual limit.

The reg weekender is slightly smaller and I think would have better luck actually meeting euro carryon standards, but even that is very close.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

If anyone wants European airline-compliant bag recommendations I'd suggest the Osprey Porter 40L. It's quite roomy, has decent straps, compartments etc. I used to have a Lowe TT carry-on but didn't like the lack of structure or support in the back.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Lady Gaza posted:

If anyone wants European airline-compliant bag recommendations I'd suggest the Osprey Porter 40L. It's quite roomy, has decent straps, compartments etc. I used to have a Lowe TT carry-on but didn't like the lack of structure or support in the back.

Agreed and the back pocket opens up too frequently. It's only good if you have packing cubes but the bag material itself is superb. Still a decent bag

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Thoguh posted:

It has a zippered area for expansion, that could be the difference? When you use that it gets pretty big. I've never used it on a European budget airline so can't speak for an airline that is really strict. But comfortably full it fits fine in the overhead bin of regional jets and it fits long-ways on mainlines.

Ah yeah, I've got a rolly bag that's like that. It's been pretty useful for international moves, although after almost 10 years it's getting a bit tatty.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

My spouse is always on the road for work and hates her cheap rolling carry-on. She's not willing to consider a non-rolling bag. Thread hate for wheels aside, who makes the most durable, high-quality rolling carry-on that will fit into the overhead compartment of a US regional jet? Cost isn't a concern, within reason.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Check with the business travel thread. But is she picky about colors and material?

Osprey makes decent wheeled compartment bag, crumpler as well. American tourister or Victoria Knox is more business like but I hate their compartments

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Loucks posted:

My spouse is always on the road for work and hates her cheap rolling carry-on. She's not willing to consider a non-rolling bag. Thread hate for wheels aside, who makes the most durable, high-quality rolling carry-on that will fit into the overhead compartment of a US regional jet? Cost isn't a concern, within reason.

I'm using a cheap rolling carry-on too, but I've been eyeing this TravelPro carry-on.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-carry-on-luggage/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The people I know who do craploads of work travel usually have B&R or Tumi stuff. That said I feel like I see wheeled bags getting gate-checked on regional jets most of the time even if they would fit.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

caberham posted:

American tourister or Victoria Knox is more business like but I hate their compartments

I have a hand-me-down American Tourister that just touches the FAA max carryon size. It's beginning to come apart (wire exposed at one corner, most zipper pulls MIA), after ~10 years of hard livin'.

:patriot:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

I have an Osprey Porter 46 which I've used for years. I'm leaving Friday for Iceland and taking WOW airlines but have been told they have really strict travel requirements. 56x45x25cm and 11lbs. I tend not to pack too much (I'll be there a week and am just packing shorts, 4 shirts, 4 underwear, 4 socks, kindle, pointnshoot camera, documents, and bathroom stuff) and was thinking of just using my old LL Bean backpack I used in high school if I have to.

Would you all recommend just taking a backpack over the Porter 46? I can probably fit everything into the backpack, but would have liked the extra space to bring stuff back but its not an absolute must.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 20, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I have an Osprey Porter 46 which I've used for years. I'm leaving Friday and taking WOW airlines but have been told they have really strict travel requirements. 56x45x25cm and 11lbs. I tend not to pack too much (I'll be there a week and am just packing shorts, 4 shirts, 4 underwear, 4 socks, kindle, pointnshoot camera, documents, and bathroom stuff) and was thinking of just using my old LL Bean backpack I used in high school if I have to.

Would you all recommend just taking a backpack over the Porter 46? I can probably fit everything into the backpack, but would have liked the extra space to bring stuff back but its not an absolute must.

According to the Osprey site, the measurements of your bag are 57 x 36 x 24 cm (or 22 x 14 x 9 in inches).

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Blinkman987 posted:

According to the Osprey site, the measurements of your bag are 57 x 36 x 24 cm (or 22 x 14 x 9 in inches).

Yea I saw but was just wondering if anyone else had taken that airline (WOW) with the same pack. I honestly probably won't risk it and will just take the backpack. This thread has taught me a lot on packing smart!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Does the Osprey Porter have a frame? If not, you can compress it down to match the dimensions, no? Especially since you're off by 1cm. I'm actually looking into getting that bag too.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea I saw but was just wondering if anyone else had taken that airline (WOW) with the same pack. I honestly probably won't risk it and will just take the backpack. This thread has taught me a lot on packing smart!

I'm taking WOW in a few weeks, so report back please. I've heard mixed thing, from very strict to lenient eyeballing. I actually bought a checked bag spot anyway, but good to know for future.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Constellation I posted:

Does the Osprey Porter have a frame? If not, you can compress it down to match the dimensions, no? Especially since you're off by 1cm. I'm actually looking into getting that bag too.

Yea the back end of the bag can't be compressed easily. That said, its a great pack and I've been using it for years (did two weeks in Peru with it, for example). I like how it opens wide and you can organize it however. You can seriously pack a years worth of clothing in it and ive never had any issues. Honestly my buddy who I am traveling with is freaking out over the requirements more than I am. That said for this airline they are the strictest carry-on requirements I have ever seen.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I'm not familiar enough with the iterations of each of the Airbus 320/321s, but JetBlue's carryon requirements are the standard 22x14x9 while WoW's is just slightly less than the max carry on size. :tinfoil: Seeing as how WoW is the most fee-aggressive airline I've ever seen, they may just be doing it to gently caress you :tinfoil: but your bag should fit in the overhead space

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 20, 2015

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I have an Osprey Porter 46 which I've used for years. I'm leaving Friday for Iceland and taking WOW airlines but have been told they have really strict travel requirements. 56x45x25cm and 11lbs. I tend not to pack too much (I'll be there a week and am just packing shorts, 4 shirts, 4 underwear, 4 socks, kindle, pointnshoot camera, documents, and bathroom stuff) and was thinking of just using my old LL Bean backpack I used in high school if I have to.

Afraid I don't know about the 46L and haven't flown with WOW, but have got by with the 40L on Ryanair, Vueling and Easyjet. It may be ok if you can compress it, but I'm a fan of travelling as light as possible so if you can survive with a smaller backpack and don't want to worry, go for it.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
After spending a year living out of my Patagonia MLC it's time to downsize to a smaller bag for shorter trips. Anyone have recommendations for 20-30L bags? Here are a few I'm considering:

Patagonic Transport Pack 30L
Minaaal Carry On (This might be too big.)
Arcteryx Blade 24
Goruck GR1
Tortuga Air
Tom Bihn Western Flyer

I'm mostly looking for a backpack with a laptop sleeve that is small enough to fit under an airline seat (tired of fiddling with overhead bins), but still has enough space for a few days worth of clothes. A clamshell design for the main compartment would be a plus. Price isn't an issue as long as the bag is of sufficient quality that I can expect to buy it for life.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Torn between MLC and Osprey Porter 46 with my 20% off Coupon.

MLC is more my style, felt more incognito while wearing it. Can wear it on my shoulder, though I'm not too sure about that when it's fully packed. Thin pads for the backpack straps.

Osprey Porter is definitely a backpack first. Holding it with straps put away felt odd. Huge, made me feel like a turtle. Definitely more robust, had more support. Much cheaper.

Any opinions between the two?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
MLC attracts less attention. I like mine but wish it had more pockets for organization. I don't think the lack of hip belt or strap padding is a problem. Never tried the Porter.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
I have the Porter, and I really like it. I like that it maintains its structure while being packed and unpacked. You definitely feel like a turtle while wearing it fully-packed though.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

NoDamage posted:

After spending a year living out of my Patagonia MLC it's time to downsize to a smaller bag for shorter trips. Anyone have recommendations for 20-30L bags? Here are a few I'm considering:

Patagonic Transport Pack 30L
Minaaal Carry On (This might be too big.)
Arcteryx Blade 24
Goruck GR1
Tortuga Air
Tom Bihn Western Flyer

I'm mostly looking for a backpack with a laptop sleeve that is small enough to fit under an airline seat (tired of fiddling with overhead bins), but still has enough space for a few days worth of clothes. A clamshell design for the main compartment would be a plus. Price isn't an issue as long as the bag is of sufficient quality that I can expect to buy it for life.

I've only had experience with the GR1 but it has served me incredibly well for a couple years now on multi-week international trips (with a light load of laundry about once a week). It's certainly bombproof--I use it for day to day work as well and if I ever do something dumb like explode my lunch container of gazpacho in it all I have to do is throw it in the tub, scrub it out with some soap and hang it to dry in the sun and it's good as new. The outside MOLLE can be useful for lashing things like a wet pair of shoes to the pack with a carabiner. I put in one of their field pockets for a bit more internal division, but depending on the trip sometimes I'll leave that at home and just use the whole internal space.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

NoDamage posted:

I use my Tom bihn tri star for this and it works wonderfully. The laptop on the middle section is very well protected with their laptop sleeve that is buckled in.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

the escape goat posted:

just wanted to add my choice of daybag- I got myself a Fjallraven Kanken a while back and it's wonderful. lightweight, plenty of capacity, folds up into practically nothing- this thing is great if you'll be exploring around a city and maybe doing some light shopping.

Outrail posted:

Looks ok, but I really like how there's more photos of people hanging out in cool places with the pack, than photos showing what the pack does. They're selling an image/lifestyle and not the bag itself which is pretty good marketing/terrible marketing.

The classic Kanken model is a swedish institution and a great backpack for what ecape-goat suggests. Recently, well over the last 5-6 years or so, the popularity of the pack has surged and people now buy this pack (and the fjallraven brand) as a fashion accessory in places like north america, the UK or japan, so it makes sense to market it as such, but it is still very much the perfect no-frills backpack. I bet there's a Kanken backpack in most homes in Scandinavia.

I've had one for around 8-10 years now and while it does show signs of wear, it does not show signs of tearing or breaking. I use it most weekdays for picking up groceries, I used it for school and I always use it for travelling as a day pack, heck, I've even used it on hikes. It holds up incredibly well is what I'm saying. Is it a piece of technical gear with adjustable backsupport, top pockets for keys, completely waterproof, sleepingbag/shoe bottom compartmentalized innards with drawcords, padded sweat resistant straps and a hip belt? Nope, but it works perfectly for what it does.

Sorry if that came off as a rant, it's meant to be a recommendation but I'm on my phone and the tiny keyboard always annoys me a little :)

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
FYI the MLC is on sale for 135 right now at eBags. Comes to 107.40 with 20% off.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

marmot25 posted:

I've only had experience with the GR1 but it has served me incredibly well for a couple years now on multi-week international trips (with a light load of laundry about once a week). It's certainly bombproof--I use it for day to day work as well and if I ever do something dumb like explode my lunch container of gazpacho in it all I have to do is throw it in the tub, scrub it out with some soap and hang it to dry in the sun and it's good as new. The outside MOLLE can be useful for lashing things like a wet pair of shoes to the pack with a carabiner. I put in one of their field pockets for a bit more internal division, but depending on the trip sometimes I'll leave that at home and just use the whole internal space.

sellouts posted:

I use my Tom bihn tri star for this and it works wonderfully. The laptop on the middle section is very well protected with their laptop sleeve that is buckled in.

Thanks for the thoughts. I might just get a bunch of these and test them out in person, and then keep the one I like the best and send the rest back.

Blinkman987 posted:

Torn between MLC and Osprey Porter 46 with my 20% off Coupon.

MLC is more my style, felt more incognito while wearing it. Can wear it on my shoulder, though I'm not too sure about that when it's fully packed. Thin pads for the backpack straps.

Osprey Porter is definitely a backpack first. Holding it with straps put away felt odd. Huge, made me feel like a turtle. Definitely more robust, had more support. Much cheaper.

Any opinions between the two?
I had a Porter 46 and ended up returning it for the MLC. I found that the Porter had kind of an awkward shape and too many straps (I found the compression straps to be kind of pointless and just got in the way). The MLC, being more rectangular, is easier to pack and walk around with fully loaded. I can't speak to the durability of the Porter because I only kept it for a month or so, but I've had the MLC for about 5 years now and it's still in great shape.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

hbf posted:

FYI the MLC is on sale for 135 right now at eBags. Comes to 107.40 with 20% off.

None of the coupons I could find worked on the MLC (the 15% off email one, nor the SUN promo).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone have any idea how easy it is to replace a suitcase lock? Like, one of those clicky things integrated into the suitcase. I lost the keys and there's no locksmiths around that want to bother making a new key.

It's not a very well known brand (Inanna, Korean brand) so it's not like I can call Samsonite for a new key.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Just picked up one of these bad boys. 60L(!) is probably a bit much for 3-4 weeks, but I'll keep it farely empty

Going to carry about a week's worth of clothes, toiletries, compact sleeping bag, inflatable mattress (might drop this), travel towel, headphones and phone charger.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Blinkman987 posted:

None of the coupons I could find worked on the MLC (the 15% off email one, nor the SUN promo).

I had a paper 20% off coupon that came with an old order.

if you have an alternate email, do the thing where you refer friends to join. This sends a 20% off coupon that should work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Anyone have any idea how easy it is to replace a suitcase lock? Like, one of those clicky things integrated into the suitcase. I lost the keys and there's no locksmiths around that want to bother making a new key.

It's not a very well known brand (Inanna, Korean brand) so it's not like I can call Samsonite for a new key.

Unless it was designed to be easily replaced, you will destroy the bag trying to replace the lock. Contact the manufacturer and see if they will send you a picture of the key or something, that would help the locksmith out.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Looking for some new shoes for an upcoming trip. Checked out the stuff in the OP and not my style.

I'm looking for something that I can do a decent amount of walking and still look decent. Normally I wear some form of vans, but after a recent trip where I walked around pretty much all weekend my feet were sore as hell and I walk a pretty decent amount regularly. Just looking for something that's somewhat simple, sleek, and comfortable while not covered in logos, teched out/bulky, or looking like a dad on vacation shoe. Anyone have any idea? Surprisingly hard to find.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

hbf posted:

Looking for some new shoes for an upcoming trip. Checked out the stuff in the OP and not my style.

I'm looking for something that I can do a decent amount of walking and still look decent. Normally I wear some form of vans, but after a recent trip where I walked around pretty much all weekend my feet were sore as hell and I walk a pretty decent amount regularly. Just looking for something that's somewhat simple, sleek, and comfortable while not covered in logos, teched out/bulky, or looking like a dad on vacation shoe. Anyone have any idea? Surprisingly hard to find.

Could you maybe add a picture or two to show what you're looking for? I've never had a shoe that otherwise fit well, like you maybe suggest your vans did, and then have it turn on me after just walking around for a weekend. Honestly, any nike/adidas shoe should do the trick, those brands produce enough different shoes that you can just about find whatever it is you're looking for if you just want a basic no frills sneaker like vans?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I've had shoes that are comfortable for a few hours but a weekend of lots of walking would leave me sore, it's a problem with shoes that have no padding and are basically totally flat with little padding.

One option might be some of the Merrel barefoot shoes, the more casual style ones. I've got some (can't remember the model but they're canvas style material) and they have just enough padding and are comfortably fitted that they're great for walking around town in.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I met quite a few people while travelling sporting those Nike running shoes. Nike Free, I think? They seem functional enough and there are enough designs of the shoe that there may be something you like. For me, I pretty much wore a pair of canvas Clark's Desert Boots, though it's probably not the best for tropical weather since it gets hot. I had flip flops for those. It was fine for me in Angkor Wat, though.

Honestly, my suggestion would be find shoes that you like then buy some good arch support in-soles for them. They do wonders for walking comfortably, just make sure the sizing is OK with the insoles added.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

hbf posted:

looking like a dad on vacation shoe. Anyone have any idea? Surprisingly hard to find.

Travel dads dress like dorks because it's comfortable. Yes, that mesh material looks weird but it breathes, is water proof, and dries quickly. I recently got a pair of shoes, something like this

http://www.columbia.com/mens-firecamp-mesh-shoe-BM2588.html?cgid=footwear-men-multisport&dwvar_BM2588_variationColor=010#pg=2&start=3

Without the neon. Just black shoes and gray laces. I think one thing we all have to accept when we are trying to travel light/minimal is that we look like poo poo. The alternative is to bring another pair of oxfords for the evening or wear boots like red wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Air Max 90s kinda look like nursing shoes but are universally considered cool and very comfortable; I usually wear them when working conventions: http://www.footlocker.com/Mens/_-_/N-24/keyword-air+max+90?cm_REF=Men%27s

Ascis Gel Lyte 3 are my favorite walking shoe: http://www.footlocker.com/product/model:200836/sku:425N9001/asics-gel-lyte-iii-mens/black/white/?cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

Nike Flyknit Lunars are super comfortable, but I'm told the midsole wears out fast. I don't wear mine nearly often enough to verify/deny that: http://www.footlocker.com/Mens/_-_/N-24/keyword-lunar+flyknit?cm_REF=Men%27s

Air Force 1s come in a wide variety of colorways, including ones where the swoosh is muted: http://www.footlocker.com/Mens/_-_/N-24/keyword-nike+air+force+1?cm_REF=Men%27s

I like the Clarks' Desert Boot simplicity, but it has no arch support so I can't recommend it for daily travel use.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 2, 2015

• Locked thread