Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Controversial former Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella has dubbed Social Services Minister Scott Morrison the "next conservative prime minister of Australia" during a fundraiser that has set tongues wagging.

Mr Morrison was guest speaker at a Liberal Party fundraiser held at the home of Mrs Mirabella, the former MP for the seat of Indi, on Saturday.

There is growing speculation Mrs Mirabella could run against the woman who beat her at the 2013 poll, independent Cathy McGowan, at the 2016 federal election.

"I miss Sophie and Sophie's representation has been something really lacking in Parliament," Mr Morrison told The Border Mail.

"Cathy (McGowan) is a nice person, she is well regarded and she is professional to deal with. There is nothing personal about any of this. When we lost Sophie we lost someone with enormous talent and experience; she was another very strong female voice in our team.

"I thought she (Sophie) brought a really important perspective and I'd love to see that perspective back."

While Mr Morrison showed his support for Mrs Mirabella, she too returned the favour.

"This man will be the next conservative prime minister of Australia," Mrs Mirabella said during her speech.

"Too many politicians are too concerned about being liked rather than getting things done.

"I will be working together with all other people locally to work on the return of the Coalition — that's what you do as a party member."

Saturday's event publicly kicked off the Liberals' campaign for the seat of Indi.

Mrs Mirabella was tight-lipped as to whether she was interested in putting her hand up as the Liberal candidate.

But committee members who attended said the party would be looking to name a candidate sooner rather than later.

Field officer for Indi Karen Rourke helped organise the event and is responsible for helping to promote women in the party.

She said a turnout of 200 people was indicative of the Liberals making a strong run.

"We have been working for the past 18 months talking and planning to find out what the electorate needs, we have been here," she said.

"Now we have got to get moving, because people want to know who is running."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I hope the electorate of Indi doesn't have a short memory.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Konomex posted:

That and WA Labor have been equally crap at getting any media attention, and their leaders have been bland, bland, bland. I can't even remember who the current one is, but he looked youngish.

Correct, Mark McGowan, and that is his only even remotely memorable feature. Not even that he is young - he's not - but he looks young. Ish.

WA is almost completely disconnected from the political process aside from facetious secession arguments.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
King George Square is getting more and more militant. First they remove the bins, now they have an hourly crime stoppers intercom recording.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hopefully Sophie Mirabella's endorsement is a kiss of death.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

King George Square is getting more and more militant. First they remove the bins, now they have an hourly crime stoppers intercom recording.

What's the matter Anidav, got something to hide? Afraid someone's going to report you to Crimestoppers for suspicious activity? That they might mistake your obscure consoles for a bomb?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I heard that your budget just blew out epically from the slowdown in China. Your government must be either pushing poo poo uphill with a rubber fork on a hot day, or feeling mighty pissed about this. Does this seem accurate?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
They are currently trying their hardest not to tell anyone about it.

We'll know more next week.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I heard that your budget just blew out epically from the slowdown in China. Your government must be either pushing poo poo uphill with a rubber fork on a hot day, or feeling mighty pissed about this. Does this seem accurate?

Given that they actively killed their own revenue stream from mining before the slowdown, it was obvious. What may not be obvious is that mining isn't really the problem, its only something like 7% of GDP. The real problem is that consumers aren't spending money because surprise surprise they don't have as much and the government is stupidly closing the avenues of spending off, like raising the GST and helping the corporations keep wages down. Add to that the housing bubble we totally don't have and a raft of rorts that free actual millionaires from paying any actual tax at all, and the only thing they have gotten right lately is shutting the gently caress up. But they have to speak sometime.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Our government is blaming the previous government.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

I yelled out at graham quirk from Irish Murphy's balcony once and gave him the thumbs up, but it was an 'up your bum' not 'well done' thumbs. Then they had those announcements on the bus way constantly after that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooman posted:

Our government is blaming the previous government.

LABOR WASTE GIANT TAX BOATS BOATS BOATS

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

LABOR WASTE GIANT TAX BOATS BOATS BOATS

I think you mean DEBT AND DEFICIT DISASTER.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Debt holocaust
Deficit killing fields
Waste pogrom

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooman posted:

BUDGET EMERGENCY

DOCTOR HOCKEY IN DA HOUSE

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Dr Goebbels of economic policy I WITHDRAW I WITHDRAW I WITHDRAW.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where's First Dog dammit?!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

SynthOrange posted:

On the moon of course.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
First Dog is pretty good sometimes.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I think I missed this. Are we buying even more JSFs?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SynthOrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpWJm2iB18M

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Times are tough in the detention centre business. Despite its $3 billion government contract to run Christmas Island and another seven onshore detention centres, Serco Group in Australia is technically insolvent.

Serco has just handed down a $395 million loss on $1.1 billion in revenue for the year to December 2014. It is cash-flow negative to the tune of $22.5 million.

The main reason for the red ink was a $250 million onerous contract provision for a Royal Australian Navy maintenance deal involving Armidale-class patrol boats – ironically, the ones that were hammered chasing illegal boat arrivals, which were responsible for their lucrative contracts with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. There was another $140 million in losses arising from goodwill and intangible-asset write-downs. Even putting these two aside, they still struggled to make a profit.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/red-ink-flows-from-sercos-detention-centres-20150503-1myt9v.html

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 4, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
So. I'm tipping budget night will be a bit of a thing here?

"Working families" = drink

That kind of thing?

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Graic Gabtar posted:

That kind of thing?

The missus has said she'd perfer to be anywhere else but near me on budget night after the last one.

Gotta stay off the red wine beforehand.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

That kind of thing?

How do drinking games work when you only drink piss?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

asio posted:

I yelled out at graham quirk from Irish Murphy's balcony once and gave him the thumbs up, but it was an 'up your bum' not 'well done' thumbs. Then they had those announcements on the bus way constantly after that.

By the end of the year, King George Square will be a bomb shelter. Crimestoppers intercoms at every street corner.

Revolution soon comrade.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Hey, I just realised we can play an auspol drinking game! Everytime graic is told to drink piss, he does.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So basically you mates are about to know how we felt during the great recession you mates managed to avoid. Well no longer. At least your conservative sheepfaces will suffer for this and will get their knobs twisted by whatever progressive party you guys have (ALP?)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Grouchio posted:

So basically you mates are about to know how we felt during the great recession you mates managed to avoid. Well no longer. At least your conservative sheepfaces will suffer for this and will get their knobs twisted by whatever progressive party you guys have (ALP?)

lol, no

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Tokamak posted:

Hopefully Sophie Mirabella's endorsement is a kiss of death.

It won't be.

You know what's sad? He's going to be PM sooner or later.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

By the end of the year, King George Square will be a bomb shelter. Crimestoppers intercoms at every street corner.

Revolution soon comrade.

I'm not sure you understand what a bomb shelter is.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Graic Gabtar posted:

That kind of thing?

I think most people fall into a coma after about 30 standard drinks.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Jumpingmanjim posted:

They are piss-weak to be honest.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

I thought trading while insolvent was illegal?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
OK, gently caress you Shorten. How low can we go?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...504-1na6d0.html

SMH posted:

Bill Shorten signals harder line from Labor on asylum policy and boat turn-backs

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has signalled a harder line on asylum seeker policy under a future Labor government, while also declaring Labor remained "pro-refugees".

But at a press conference after his speech on Monday, the Opposition Leader twice refused to say if, in government, Labor would continue the turn-backs policy introduced by the Abbott government.

Asylum seeker policy will be one most hotly debated issues at national conference in July, with sections of the party's Left faction vocally opposed to offshore processing and boat turn-backs.

In a speech at the progressive McKell Institute think-tank on Monday Mr Shorten, responding to hecklers, said he could not live in an "intellectually dishonest world" and ignore the problem of asylum seekers dying at sea.

While the Labor Party was pro-immigration and pro-refugee, Mr Shorten said there was room for debate about where and how refugees came to Australia.

"I have no disagreement with some of the reports, which are shocking, about the way people are being treated at Manus and being treated at Nauru," he said.

"But I cannot also lie to myself, and I will not live in an intellectually dishonest world where I say that if we have policies which drag people here to hop on unsafe boats and drown at sea, well I'm not going to be party to that either."

"How do I ask people to fish people out of the sea, and not be prepared to deal with the policy consequences of it?"

Labor immigration spokesman Richard Marles is leading the formulation of the party platform at present, in concert with Labor MPs including Gai Brodtmann, Matt Thistlethwaite, Lisa Singh and Lisa Chesters.

One Right faction MP, who asked not to be named, said there was "no way we can dismantle the policies that have stopped the boats" and vowed to resist any push from the Left to wind back sections of the party's platform at national conference, such as the provision which was inserted in 2011 that allows turn-backs.

Another Right faction MP said that "gay marriage and Palestine [two other contentious policy issues] are interesting but they won't stop us winning an election" whereas a softening of the Coalition's hardline boats policy could.

"It [turning back boats] will never be in the party platform, but the platform needs to be broad enough for it to be able to happen. Hopefully, we never have to do it."

A senior figure in the Left faction expressed surprise at Mr Shorten's comments and described them as marked shift from October last year.

At the time, Mr Marles said the Labor "might" continue the Coalition's policy of turning back boats if returned to government - drawing a sharp rebuke from Mr Shorten who declared "Labor's policy on boat turn-backs has not changed. It remains the same."

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton criticised the Opposition Leader for not clearly stating whether he would keep the tow-back policy.

"If Bill Shorten is really Labor's leader he needs to clearly state that he will maintain Operation Sovereign Borders," he said.

"Today he was unable and unwilling to do that."

The government also claimed on Monday a $500 million saving in the 2015-16 budget from its success in stopping the flow of asylum seeker boats to Australia.

It attributed that saving to the success of its hardline policies, which had "halted the flood of Illegal Maritime Arrivals that were continually filling detention centres across Australia under Labor".

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Grouchio posted:

So basically you mates are about to know how we felt during the great recession you mates managed to avoid. Well no longer. At least your conservative sheepfaces will suffer for this and will get their knobs twisted sucked by whatever progressive spineless copycat party you guys have (ALP?)

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Grouchio posted:

whatever progressive party you guys have (ALP?)

Guffawing IRL

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Freudian Slip posted:

OK, gently caress you Shorten. How low can we go?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...504-1na6d0.html

wow.
that has to be parody.

Anidav, if only you were still a member this might not be happening!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Actually, it's more that the rest of our workforce is going to feel what a significant amount of our youth are experiencing. While it was just high youth unemployment it was easier for older adults to ignore the issue and just say "get a job" but now it will be across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

norp posted:

wow.
that has to be parody.

Anidav, if only you were still a member this might not be happening!

The word on the street is the QLD left will change the entire ALP somehow....

• Locked thread