Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Jono C posted:

Other than Parker and maybe Smith, the Australian performances were woeful.

Only standout players I could see for Australia were Chambers and Lewis, everyone else looked completely lost to me. I don't think I've ever seen Inglis play half as badly as he did today.

e; Thaiday played pretty well too I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good job Kiwis. Australia need to clean house.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Keighley Cougars Wales international Danny Jones has died after suffering a cardiac arrest during the game against London Skolars. He was 29.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/32575741

Pretty poo poo.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Keighley Cougars Wales international Danny Jones has died after suffering a cardiac arrest during the game against London Skolars. He was 29.

Pretty poo poo.

Yeah very poo poo. We can test for all kinds of things but who ever suspects a young fit male to have a heart issue? Usually its fat bastards like me.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I know they're being more proactive in trying to find the sorts of congenital defects that lead to these sorts of death but it's tragic that in many cases the only observable symptom is collapsing and dying. Just terrible all round.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Judiciary charges from the weekend. Reynolds' charge is insanely low - apparently past behaviour, other actions in the same game and the actual loving thing he did have no bearing on the charge. Bird, on the other hand, looks like he's being rubbed out for as long as physically possible. Weird.

Felise Kafusi - Dangerous Contact - Other - Grade 1 - 1 week

Josh Reynolds - Tripping - Grade 1 - 1 week

Sam Thaiday - Dangerous Contact – Head/Neck - Grade 1 - 1 week

Greg Bird - Dangerous Throw - Grade 2 - 6-8 weeks

iajanus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 4, 2015

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

Bird, on the other hand, looks like he's being rubbed out for as long as physically possible. Weird.

You say it like it's a bad thing.

And I'm pretty sure I remember Reynolds trying to trip Barba last year, did he get away with it or something?

E: http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/reynolds-chooses-to-accept-three-match-ban/vg3scz3id2hwz3d37in1aw5u
Two game ban for that incident. Surely that should add to the loading on the current charge.

Jono C fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 4, 2015

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
That's a loving pathetic ban for Reynolds. About right for Bird, he had no excuse there the guy was stationary and he deliberately lifted and dumped him for no reason other than showing what a tough guy he is.

edit: I don't know what the gently caress a grade 3, 4 or 5 trip could be if that was a grade 1. Would you have to use an elaborate razor wire booby trap or something?

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 4, 2015

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

You say it like it's a bad thing.

And I'm pretty sure I remember Reynolds trying to trip Barba last year, did he get away with it or something?

E: http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/reynolds-chooses-to-accept-three-match-ban/vg3scz3id2hwz3d37in1aw5u
Two game ban for that incident. Surely that should add to the loading on the current charge.

I don't know whether he has photos of the judiciary with various animals, the Bulldogs connection or the NSW player exemption in action but the amount of poo poo he gets away with is ridiculous. in that game last year he kicked Sam Thaiday in the face, kicked out to trip Ben Barba before finally trying to take Alex Glenn's head off. IIRC he's had other kicking/tripping issues too, plus a pretty ugly tackle in Brent Tate in Origin which he got away with. But for whatever reason they treat him like a first time offender instead of a serial grub.
E: apparently he tripped Segeyaro earlier this year too and wasn't even charged.

ili fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 4, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

Reynolds' charge is insanely low - apparently past behaviour, other actions in the same game and the actual loving thing he did have no bearing on the charge. Bird, on the other hand, looks like he's being rubbed out for as long as physically possible. Weird.

Only room for one grub on this blues boat

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah I saw the headline saying that a blues player was going to be missing the first game and just assumed it would be Reynolds. Bird was probably right in the punishment, but I have no idea what the judiciary is thinking.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Pretty poo poo.

A twitter user started a just giving donation page, using #rlfamily to spread the word. They've raised £35, 000 so far for his wife and five month old twins. Nice work RL fans.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

iajanus posted:

I know they're being more proactive in trying to find the sorts of congenital defects that lead to these sorts of death but it's tragic that in many cases the only observable symptom is collapsing and dying. Just terrible all round.

That happened to someone on my team at our second training game of the year, two years ago. Guy just fell down on the field and stopped moving, and his kids were there too. I guess the only saving grace is, he died doing what he loved.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Greg Bird's attempt to get his dangerous throw charge downgraded has failed. He's out eight weeks and will miss the entire Origin series. Get hosed, Bird.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

One oval office down, several to go.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

Greg Bird's attempt to get his dangerous throw charge downgraded has failed. He's out eight weeks and will miss the entire Origin series. Get hosed, Bird.
lol

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It's a bit sad for the Maroons really, Bird gets replaced by a better player and there's one less complete fuckwit to really hate. I'm hopeful Daley picks Jeynolds for the same reason

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I can't imagine how high the expectations for the Warriors will be next year if we start with a spine of

1. RTS
6. Leuluai/Townsend
7. Johnson
9. Luke

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The key to supporting the Warriors is to never have any expectations.

If we could pick up a decent centre and a better option at six I would be pretty happy though.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Hype levels: maximum.

Heard on the radio coming home that Townsend is gone at the end of the season, still hoping for a Kieran Foran miracle otherwise It's Lolohea or Leuleuai at standoff. I think we're ok at centre personally, you don't want to splash big cash there so we're investing in our junior talent with Hurrel, Kata & Laumape allowing us to spend big on the spine and pack which is the right approach I think.

Isaac Luke is a perfect fit running off the back of our forward pack though, fantastic signing.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Six months into the Jim Doyle era and I want to have his babies.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ili posted:

I don't know whether he has photos of the judiciary with various animals, the Bulldogs connection or the NSW player exemption in action but the amount of poo poo he gets away with is ridiculous. in that game last year he kicked Sam Thaiday in the face, kicked out to trip Ben Barba before finally trying to take Alex Glenn's head off. IIRC he's had other kicking/tripping issues too, plus a pretty ugly tackle in Brent Tate in Origin which he got away with. But for whatever reason they treat him like a first time offender instead of a serial grub.
E: apparently he tripped Segeyaro earlier this year too and wasn't even charged.

The thing that really pissed me off about that last year was the NRL had just come out with their big statement about the danger of those types of tackles and how they were planning to stamp them out, then Reynolds skates without punishment and the bulldogs and blues camps came out and told Tate to "harden up" when he said he was shaken up by the incident and that Reynolds was a real nice bloke and stuff and had no intention of hurting anyone. Then the pig goes around tripping and kicking dudes.

He should've got the 8 week suspension and bird should've been done for a week. Birds a poo poo human too, but I'm really sad I won't get to see him clutching his throat and looking like a giant crybaby when someone pushes him at origin time this year.

Does anyone else kind of think Slater has really lost a step from years past. I mean I know the dudes no spring chicken and has a few niggles but for a couple of years know I've thought QLD would be better off looking to blood someone else at fullback. It's a shame Gaiguy is so terrible in defence.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 8, 2015

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

BlindSite posted:

The thing that really pissed me off about that last year was the NRL had just come out with their big statement about the danger of those types of tackles and how they were planning to stamp them out, then Reynolds skates without punishment and the bulldogs and blues camps came out and told Tate to "harden up" when he said he was shaken up by the incident and that Reynolds was a real nice bloke and stuff and had no intention of hurting anyone. Then the pig goes around tripping and kicking dudes.

Full agreement here. It was pathetic to see sentiment for player safety go out the window because of Origin.

quote:

He should've got the 8 week suspension and bird should've been done for a week. Birds a poo poo human too, but I'm really sad I won't get to see him clutching his throat and looking like a giant crybaby when someone pushes him at origin time this year.

Reynolds definitely deserved more. Tripping is a serious dick move, and he's a repeat offender. Bird deserves eight weeks, in addition to being the biggest piece of poo poo in the game, the judiciary boss made the effort to fly out and discuss with him the issues with his technique and he still hasn't figured out that lifting is a problem.

quote:

Does anyone else kind of think Slater has really lost a step from years past. I mean I know the dudes no spring chicken and has a few niggles but for a couple of years know I've thought QLD would be better off looking to blood someone else at fullback. It's a shame Gaiguy is so terrible in defence.

He's definitely a tesp slower on defence, although he still runs those plays with Cronk well. I thought that Inglis should have been fullback last year, with Slater on the wing. To me it's bizarre that a guy who is arguably the best player in the game has to play out of position in Origin.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The only explanation I have for Bird is its compounded by his off-field idiocy, what with the drugs and public urination, whereas Jeynolds mostly contains his fuckwittery to either the playing field or the change rooms

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

It was pretty funny last year to see Reynold's teammates vehemently defend the character and 'not-in-his-game' -ness of the guy they call "grub".

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

cpaf posted:

The only explanation I have for Bird is its compounded by his off-field idiocy, what with the drugs and public urination, whereas Jeynolds mostly contains his fuckwittery to either the playing field or the change rooms

Glassing his missus, blaming a mate for it and fleeing to France goes beyond idiocy, it's criminal on several levels.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Glassing his missus, blaming a mate for it and fleeing to France goes beyond idiocy, it's criminal on several levels.

Not to mention us having to see his stupid loving face

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That looked like a pretty dumb double movement.

E: Followed by some soft defence on the wing.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
One day Refs will call the million forward passes Friend throws in a game.

Who the gently caress am I kidding.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tigers why

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

bowmore posted:

Tigers why

Because we are not very good.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Watching the live updates, loving hell what is happening to the Tigers?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Watching the live updates, loving hell what is happening to the Tigers?

Nothing going for us, they are getting all the calls and dominating possession.

And

MiniSune posted:

Because we are not very good.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 8, 2015

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I looked away from my phone and it went from 4-0 to 22-0 o_0

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Tigers look really loving flat, Roosters seem to be cruising. I'm swapping over to the other game.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ref helping the Panthers get anywhere for ten minutes and they get 2 points out of it. Pretty amazing how dangerous they look suddenly just with Soward back though

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That was complete rubbish from Peachey. Deserves to be binned for that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Must suck to have your team dominated by M . Pierce

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think the quality of play reached any great heights, but at least Broncos/Panthers was a more entertaining contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

That was loving awesome, I made a really weird noise when oats scored at the end there haha.

• Locked thread