Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

withak posted:

Rheagar seems like he was a pretty chill dude.

prequel series bait

too bad heath ledger died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

oswald ownenstein posted:

prequel series bait

too bad heath ledger died

You know how the corner had the same actors from the wire just in different roles? peter dinklage should be rhaegar

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Spoeank posted:

Rich slavemaster hands a pit fighter a mask. "These men are destroying our way of life. Kill them."

Rich master class telling poor lower classes to go murder people under the guise of "they hate the way we live" where have I heard that before hmmmm

Good call. Though it seems like the sort of thing that could end up being a broader signal as to who is in particular is behind this, than anything the goldsmith could say.
The rich slavemasters are still rich, and do have indentured servants now. Really, the more I think about this, if I was on Danney's small council I could find the people responsible by checking to see who amongst the old masters is assimilating the worst, and watching their estates. Or even asking former slaves about who and where the recruiters for this rebel faction could be.
Dose she even have a master of whispers?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I was pulling for Tommen to turn out to be a super rad king, but with Marge and Cersei clawing at each other it doesn't seem that the kid's got a chance in hell. Shame. At least Stannis continues to remain The Mannis. We need Olenna back in King's Landing.

and yeah, as previously mentioned, Melisandre's "You know nothing" was a total mindfuck. She's gotta be the single most fun character to watch.

i realized that the reason i loved the last episode so much was because dany wasn't in it so this episode bummed me out.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

popewiles posted:

Yes clearly no one from the noble classes is ever any kind of fighter.
Also as others have said, the Unsullied are renowned for their discipline as soldiers and are used to fight other armies. They are not a peacekeeping occupation force. They are not trained to be individual warriors.

Assume percentage of former warriors in a class of slavemasters, in a society that is not feudal.
I don't expect the Unsullied to know how to be cops, and would probably do poorly in the face of minor offenses, but this was a battle and they had a group of ten or so, and they split up to fight individually.
Why the hell would they do that aside from as a plot device? They broke their own formation for no good reason.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Barry's fight showcased pretty well his reputation. Dude's old as poo poo, haven't fought in ages, fighting with a sword in a narrow tunnel, gets surrounded in said narrow tunnel by a dozen guys, kills 10 before biting the dust.

I mean, I wasn't expecting him to do ninja flips and stuff and dying miserably to nameless guys in an actual fight is better than most characters in this show get.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Anyone else think Pycelle is done with Cersei? I can't remember who said it, but that "small council is getting smaller" line seemed like a callback to season 2 when Tyrion took control of the small council and hosed Pycelle over and Cersei's response of "not small enough" sounded like a threat to do the same. There have been too many scenes of her antagonizing him without it leading to something.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Did you see the pool of blood spreading under Grey Worm? Dude is dead, that was arterial bleeding.

Dany is completely isolated now. How terrible would it be if Tyrion, the only guy who can help her now, is either too late or not trusted when he arrives.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

tin can made man posted:

His brother was a king, but this episode also takes an effort to mention Rhaegar twice and his "kidnap and rape" of Lyanna once. So it could go either way.

withak posted:

Rheagar seems like he was a pretty chill dude.

Totally not a spoiler, just an educated guess

I'm pretty sure Lyanna wasn't kidnapped but was in love with Rhaegar and Jon is the lovechild she died giving birth to in Dorne.

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

:allears:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Slashrat posted:

I couldn't help but wonder how the Sons of the Harpy sourced all those gold masks. Did they just happen to have a huge supply lying around in case they needed to form a guerilla resistance or did team Dany just completely miss a huge order being placed for them with the city's craftsmen?

Mardi Gras Surplus Store.

I don't like the whole Sparrow storyline. It just seems like a convenient device suddenly thrown in to give Cersei a mechanism to continue to gently caress around with things, and it feels like it came out of nowhere to me, just like the Iron Bank thing seemed to just suddenly show up to get Stannis back in the game.

I feel like the show keeps throwing in new balls to juggle like this when it can't handle the balls that are already in play (anyone seen Bran lately?).

I don't understand how Cersei can still have so much juice in King's Landing. Is there no Hand of the King? How does she get to run the Small Council?

I will only appreciate the Sparrow storyline if it backfires hilariously and causes King's Landing to be ripped to shreds, and Cersei's head on a pike after they find out about the incest.

Already it's caused a major event undermining Tommen's reign, him backing down in the face of the Sparrow fighters.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Only one more week until new game of thrones :). I shouldn't have watched the leaked episodes a month ago it's been torture

Too bad for Barristan, he never really got to shine. GRRM seems to enjoy telling us about how awesome people are but rarely do we get to see legends in action. Hopefully the prequel series comes fast.

Also Cersei doesn't really have any power in Kings landing beyond being the queen mother. That of course gives her lots of freedom but the Lannister clan isn't even a shade of what it was at the start of the series. I suspect she will lose control over the small council pretty soon. I also have doubts Tommen will make it through the next two seasons, but that is just because kings die non stop in GoT

The Duggler fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 4, 2015

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Zwabu posted:

I will only appreciate the Sparrow storyline if it backfires hilariously and causes King's Landing to be ripped to shreds, and Cersei's head on a pike after they find out about the incest.

Naked and crying in a black cell, being interrogated like a witch during the inquisition good enough?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Also, lots of lyanna in this episode, and lots of Rhaegar. And lots of talking about how Rhaegar was a good guy.

Either they're hinting, or they're making fun.

Edit: check out Littlefinger's face after Sansa says "he raped her." Could he know something? How would he?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

The Duggler posted:

Hopefully the prequel series comes fast.

GoT: The adventures of Dunk and Egg.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zwabu posted:

I don't understand how Cersei can still have so much juice in King's Landing. Is there no Hand of the King? How does she get to run the Small Council?

She's the de facto Hand of the King, she has power because people are obeying her. It's the whole "power resides where men believe it to reside" thing. Tommen can tell her to get lost and appoint a real Hand, but he won't because he's Tommen.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Interesting that Meryn is going to Bravos. Which just so happens to be where Arya is at, and is being trained.

Most likely Father Tyrell is a goner and me theory above isn't going to pan out.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Elentor posted:

I think Barry's fight showcased pretty well his reputation. Dude's old as poo poo, haven't fought in ages, fighting with a sword in a narrow tunnel, gets surrounded in said narrow tunnel by a dozen guys, kills 10 before biting the dust.

I mean, I wasn't expecting him to do ninja flips and stuff and dying miserably to nameless guys in an actual fight is better than most characters in this show get.

That's my take too. For someone unprepared (ambush, not a prepared duel or battle), no heavy armor, no backup, just a blade and his own badassery, still managed to kill a bunch of dudes before falling is pretty awesome. Think about it, the guy was a famous duelist and soldier who could destroy anyone 1 to 1. 10 to 1? That's bullshit odds for anyone, much less a senior citizen. And yeah, betting those were probably pit-fighters (remember, the master said they all wanted to fight. Probably because killing was there only skill set. Without that, they are pretty much hobos. Easy to recruit for a chance to regain glory or coin).

We watch a lot of TV and movies where some Chosen One or Rambo can wipe out dozens of guys in hand to hand combat, but Westeros doesn't play by fantasy rules, at least not in that regard (magic, vagina demons, and dragons not-withstanding). Even an amazing warrior, especially without heavy plate or a helm, is just as vulnerable to a dozen daggers as the next guy. But you did get to see Selmy maneuver and dodge around to prevent being flanked during the fight, but eventually numbers will tell. You can't fight in 360 degrees all at once, even an ex-kingsguard.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Petr posted:

Edit: check out Littlefinger's face after Sansa says "he raped her." Could he know something? How would he?

How does he know anything? He's a creepy dude who makes it a priority to know.

I buy that he'd kind of arbitrarily be able to figure poo poo out; he's Evil Varys, who uses a network of spies and a superhuman sense of discretion to manipulate others. Of course, he does it to entirely selfish and destructive ends, but he still sleuths it out.

If anyone was going to know the truth about Jon Snow, it'd be Littlefinger or Varys. Though, I guess Bran gets magic psychic dreams, and Melisandre sees poo poo in the fire...so there are a few realistic avenues, I guess.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Count me in on the "Sand snakes scene was terrible" team. Not only was it hammy as gently caress and just plain ugly to look at, but by now I've learnt to roll my eyes whenever I hear the dreaded "WHEN I WAS BUT A CHILD, I"

Indira Varma's cheekbones (and wardrobe :swoon:) are becoming increasingly insufficient to support my interest in the Dorne storyline.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Solvent posted:

hey I read the books and here is what happens

:fuckoff:

Xealot posted:

How does he know anything? He's a creepy dude who makes it a priority to know.

I buy that he'd kind of arbitrarily be able to figure poo poo out; he's Evil Varys, who uses a network of spies and a superhuman sense of discretion to manipulate others. Of course, he does it to entirely selfish and destructive ends, but he still sleuths it out.

If anyone was going to know the truth about Jon Snow, it'd be Littlefinger or Varys. Though, I guess Bran gets magic psychic dreams, and Melisandre sees poo poo in the fire...so there are a few realistic avenues, I guess.

There are only a few people who would have ever known what actually went on though, and most of them are dead.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

:ughh:

It was so obvious that someone who has not read the books could figure out that she's gone nuclear, and this poo poo will blow up in her (e: everybody's) face.
I'm going to refer to my earlier post when I say that we're in new territory here, though I doubt that anything else would fit with the characters indications on the show.

Further :words: : The books indicated there was a holy war brewing, with Beric Dondarrion leading the Brotherhood without banners, under the auspice of the Red god. The Faith Militant was just a bunch of zealots promoting the Justice of the Seven,without regard to the wishes of the Iron Throne, or any of the lords of Westeros (the reason they were disbanded hundreds of years ago). With the emergence of fighting men in the middle of Westeros,loyal to the Red god, one would have a hard time not imaging a "Clash of Gods". This seems unlikely with the lack of Dondarrion and zombie Stark and so on, though I could see it happening in the TV series too, even without the inclusion of these characters.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 4, 2015

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Petr posted:

:fuckoff:

There are only a few people who would have ever known what actually went on though, and most of them are dead.

Littlefinger was still alive when the (non)kidnapping of Lyanna took place, as was Varys. Granted, only a couple of people could have truly known what happened, but it's stretch to think that neither of them could piece it together.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Solvent posted:

:ughh:

It was so obvious that someone who has not read the books could figure out that she's gone nuclear, and this poo poo will blow up in her face.
I'm going to refer to my earlier post when I say that we're in new territory here, though I doubt that anything else would fit with the characters indications on the show.

Yeah cool it's ok to post exactly what happens in the books in the non-spoiler thread because anyone should have been able to figure it out.

Edit: holy gently caress, you added more.

Petr fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 4, 2015

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can't wait to see what happens to Cercei and her little stunt. It HAS to. A city not allowed ale or alcohol? No way will anyone stand for that poo poo.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Petr posted:

Yeah cool it's ok to post exactly what happens in the books in the non-spoiler thread because anyone should have been able to figure it out.

I used the spoiler. It's not my intention to simply spoil from books, but to discuss the differing branches. I can go to the other thread. Adios.

Petr posted:

Edit: holy gently caress, you added more.

E: Yes, before I noticed you. Thank god you're around to complain whenever someone mentions making GBS threads in a ditch too. Enjoy your thread.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 4, 2015

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
You would think Loras and his sparring buddies in full armor could take out a couple of mooks in robes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

You know how the corner had the same actors from the wire just in different roles? peter dinklage should be rhaegar

Viserys's actor, the dickens boy. That would be a mindfuck. If it works for Tommen it will work for him

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I thought it was pretty obvious that Jon was one of Robert's bastards? They explicitly showed Ned looking through history books to find that all Baratheons have black hair and blue eyes, and way back in s1 when Robert speculated about which wench was Jon's mother, every time he guessed Ned said "she was one of yours."

I didn't see anyone mention it, but is it safe to assume Cersei sent Meryn Trant to make sure Mace dies "accidentally" on his way to Bravos? Seems like it would send the southern part of the realm into just as much turmoil as the north, and that sort of poor planning is right up Cersei's alley.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There was soft, dark music when Meryn entered, and Meryn and Cersei gave each other a little look.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm not the only person looking forward to the season premiere next week, right

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Four seasons in and people liking Stannis still baffles me. So moral, so just, so willing to break his marriage vow to murder his brother with dark magic he doesn't understand. And then start burning people for not betraying their beliefs.

Zwabu posted:

Mardi Gras Surplus Store.

I don't like the whole Sparrow storyline. It just seems like a convenient device suddenly thrown in to give Cersei a mechanism to continue to gently caress around with things, and it feels like it came out of nowhere to me, just like the Iron Bank thing seemed to just suddenly show up to get Stannis back in the game.

I feel like the show keeps throwing in new balls to juggle like this when it can't handle the balls that are already in play (anyone seen Bran lately?).

Already it's caused a major event undermining Tommen's reign, him backing down in the face of the Sparrow fighters.

It does feel a little out of nowhere, but then most cults do when they first spring into the public eye. The Iron Bank was talked about way before Stannis went there, I think.

Cersei has juice because, despite her shortcomings, she is very good at convincing people she has power, and has an established reputation as being a ruthless, cutthroat enemy. It also helps that she is the king's mother, and Tommen is young enough to not really know what to do
I think it is very likely to not just backfire, but to directly cause the end of Tommen's reign (and life). Myrcella still needs her shot at the throne (before she too is deposed by Stannis or whomever)

Petr posted:

Also, lots of lyanna in this episode, and lots of Rhaegar. And lots of talking about how Rhaegar was a good guy.

Either they're hinting, or they're making fun.

Well, as he said, he saw him give her the flowers, so he could have witnessed her reaction to it. Plus he is whole jam is knowing everything about everyone. It's also entirely possible that the abduction story is just sort of the party line the Baratheons / Starks used to cover when everyone else knows really happened, sorta like the other open secrets we've seen (incest babies, Robert's bastards, Loras), and Littlefinger was like "wait, you still believe that line?"

I just hope Sansa gets to call him out on the fact that he is directly responsible for the death of his beloved. Also I hope Sansa loving ices that crazy lady.

They're going pretty heavy on emphasizing that both major aspects of Ned's story about Jon are iffy. Ned wouldn't cheat, and Rhaegar wasn't the type to kidnap and rape a woman (which doesn't mean he didn't, of course).

Zotix posted:

Interesting that Meryn is going to Bravos. Which just so happens to be where Arya is at, and is being trained.

Most likely Father Tyrell is a goner and me theory above isn't going to pan out.

Well, who says Trant will kill him before they get to Braavos? They do need the money, after all, so why not let him finish first? Plenty of time for Arya to run into Trant, want to kill him, and be chastised because the whole Faceless Man thing is that you aren't supposed to be spite killing anyone.

whalesteak posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious that Jon was one of Robert's bastards? They explicitly showed Ned looking through history books to find that all Baratheons have black hair and blue eyes, and way back in s1 when Robert speculated about which wench was Jon's mother, every time he guessed Ned said "she was one of yours."

I didn't see anyone mention it, but is it safe to assume Cersei sent Meryn Trant to make sure Mace dies "accidentally" on his way to Bravos? Seems like it would send the southern part of the realm into just as much turmoil as the north, and that sort of poor planning is right up Cersei's alley.

That's one theory, since Robert did want Ned's sister pretty bad, but they never married, and Robert would have a tough time explaining to Ned why he hosed his sister before marriage. And Robert would have to explain it, because he was always drunk and no way he keeps that secret. I favored that idea, since Jon does look far more Baratheon than Targaryen, and also, gently caress the show ending on a 'Hooray the Targaryens are back in charge' note.

Cersei sending Trant definitely reads as murder time. Cersei is a bit nuts, pretty evil, and kinda dumb. She sees the Tyrells as the biggest threat to her, because they would remove her power, and might even drive her from her children (although they wouldn't need to to that if she wasn't the absolute worst). Nevermind that the Tyrells would leave her alive and well, and provide a strong ally for her son. She is paranoid as gently caress (which, to be fair, she has reason to be, given what Littlefinger did, and the prophecy)

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 4, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't see why Cersei would want Mace dead. She needs the support of House Tyrell, and manipulating Mace seems to be her best and only way of maintaining that while trying to get rid of her daughter-in-law. (Unless there's no male heirs to House Tyrell, in which case I guess it all goes to Tommen through Margaery? Maybe that's why she had Loras targeted? A plan this thought-out seems out-of-character for Cersai however)

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Slashrat posted:

I don't see why Cersei would want Mace dead. She needs the support of House Tyrell, and manipulating Mace seems to be her best and only way of maintaining that while trying to get rid of her daughter-in-law. (Unless there's no male heirs to House Tyrell, in which case I guess it all goes to Tommen through Margaery? Maybe that's why she had Loras targeted? A plan this thought-out seems out-of-character for Cersai however)

I assumed it was the stupidest brand of blind rage, she wanted to hurt Mary and weaken house Tyrell, but gave no thought to how supremely hosed she would be.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Slashrat posted:

It feels more likely that she's let just lashing out at Margaery, but maybe she's thought it through somewhat, hard to say. She can't attack Margaery directly, because that risks putting Tommen against her, so she's going around her. Mace might be somewhat useful, but if he's around, she has to explain what happens to Loras (who Cersei at least kinda dislikes just because she might have to marry him). But yeah, if she gets those two, Margaery becomes the Lady Paramount of the Reach, effectively guaranteeing the Reach's support, since she is married to Tommen. Of course, Tommen already has that alliance pretty much locked down, and Cersei is actually endangering it if her actions fail.

I wonder how many times a widow Margaery can be. There's at least one more king to be had.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 4, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Imprisoning Loras might be futile if Mace can just bring a Tyrell army to King's Landing to have him freed. Though killing Mace with the heir imprisoned might throw the Tyrell lands into chaos. It's a short-sighted way to gently caress the Tyrells, but that's Cersei.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Lycus posted:

Imprisoning Loras might be futile if Mace can just bring a Tyrell army to King's Landing to have him freed. Though killing Mace with the heir imprisoned might throw the Tyrell lands into chaos. It's a short-sighted way to gently caress the Tyrells, but that's Cersei.

Which is another reason why she had Mace go away with her trusted guard.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

I thought the opposite . It was an episode to explain just who Jon Snow is meant to be despite past heritages or what is in a name. It made him solidfy his calling to the Night's Watch since he decided against that fire goddess' advances/requesting Bolton men. It reaffirmed me that Stanis isn' the die hardest of pricks(that is reserved for his wife). It tentalized me knowing Cersei has no idea what she is probably getting herself into And I am just rubbing my hands patiently as it all unfolds. Bronn and Jamie in parts of Westeros they know little about -- Jamie trying to be the peacemaker while Bronnhaving nothing of it. A King who desperately needed someone like Tywin for advise and guidance only now being manipulated by his lover and his mother. And quite possibly the breaking point of Dany now coming to terms that a relic to her past, Barristan, is now possibly dead.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's cool that Barristan finally got to the fireworks factory. It's a shame they made the Unsullied out to be total loving chumps on the way there, though.

I broke out laughing when that one lady whipped the barrel off the captain's head. What the poo poo?

Stannis gets a couple points for his speech, but drat are they ever hinting at bad things coming Shireen's way.

Anime Curator posted:

I thought the opposite .
How does this get someone every loving time?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lycus posted:

It's a short-sighted way to gently caress the Tyrells, but that's Cersei.

That's how I saw it, too. Of course it's dumb. Cersei is kind of dumb. That's definitely a thing she'd do, and it'll totally backfire in an obvious way.

Bobo the Red posted:

I favored that idea, since Jon does look far more Baratheon than Targaryen, and also, gently caress the show ending on a 'Hooray the Targaryens are back in charge' note.

Yeah, but I suspect Jon may never be "legitimized" in any real way. Jon Snow seems like a "Bill Everyman" kind of name, a sort of boringly average name that suggests some populist victory if he becomes powerful. "Lord Snow" as an insult from Thorne has always really struck me as a concise shorthand for everything about Jon...a figure with all the trappings of nobility and none of the ego.

Even if he is a Baratheon or a Targaryan, I feel like he'll always still be Jon Snow. He wouldn't even accept the name Stark; I can't see him willfully accepting the name of either of those dong farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Just wait for May 10th, then everything will be business as usual.

What happens may 10f?

• Locked thread