Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Congrats. My podcast just turned 6 in March... so crazy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I produce about 240 hours of podcast material a year (actual play sessions of tabletop RPGs, plus advice, discussion, etc) and I recently stumbled across this site: https://www.radionomy.com/en/static/produce

It lets you set up a streaming radio station for free and I thought this might be a fun way to let listeners try out our older content and put in some curated music shows and whatnot. Does anyone have any experience with radionomy or could recommend another streaming service?

mancub
Aug 27, 2002

For anyone who wants more iTunes reviews, I have created an iTunes review exchange in Google Docs. I've already found a couple of great shows on SA, and I'm looking forward to finding more. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

SA iTunes Reviews Exchange

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

boytree posted:

For anyone who wants more iTunes reviews, I have created an iTunes review exchange in Google Docs. I've already found a couple of great shows on SA, and I'm looking forward to finding more. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Very cool idea, just added my pod to the list! Don't have time to listen to the others / write reviews today, but will do so in the next day or two.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Is that... ok to do? Seems a little dodgy. I mean, I'll definitely take part because I have no reviews or ratings yet but... yeah.

Plus it will give me new shows by awesome goons to listen to.

Edit: I suppose it's fine if you're actively listening and not just lying about it ("Awesome show, 5 stars!")

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 4, 2015

mancub
Aug 27, 2002

thehustler posted:

Is that... ok to do? Seems a little dodgy. I mean, I'll definitely take part because I have no reviews or ratings yet but... yeah.

Plus it will give me new shows by awesome goons to listen to.

Edit: I suppose it's fine if you're actively listening and not just lying about it ("Awesome show, 5 stars!")

I've participated in an exchange like this elsewhere, and it never occurred to me that there could be ethical implications.

Most of us start podcasting without an audience already in place. That said, it can be tough to get our friends or family to even listen, much less help with promotion. Through this exchange, we could help each of our podcasts gain a little bit of traction.

Whether or not you participate, or to what extent you choose, is up to you. I've listened to your podcast, so I can see why you would question the idea. :)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

boytree posted:

I've started downloading episodes of the shows on the list. I'll have reviews up sometime later this week.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

thehustler posted:

Is that... ok to do? Seems a little dodgy.

I don't consider new podcasts helping each other with visibility to be dodgy, since a lack of reviews will make whatever you have on iTunes sink to the bottom. I consider someone with a well-established podcast that's been running for several years telling their fanbase "someone gave me a bad review, so go swarm my iTunes page with good reviews to push it out of the way" to be dodgy.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Aye, that sounds fair enough.

I'll give everyone's podcast a listen over the next few days, thanks for the review already received (I assume it was you, boytree!).

Beginning to wish I hadn't put out a podcast with appalling audio quality as the first one, but we're rerecording that talk in a few weeks time with better gear and Libsyn lets you replace episodes so that's cool, I had no idea you could do that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The audio quality on the most recent episode of underdiscussion sucks because we were recording in my car using the hand held equipment. Go back an episode or two to hear our usual sound quality.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Since you mention quality, can we talk about gear here? I'm using a Zoom H5 and a couple of SM58s for handheld interview work (I have some table stands too) and a Samson tie clip wireless for recording our talks. We had a bit of money spare :)

All into Audition with the broadcast compressor preset on the vocal tracks. Sounds meaty and radio show-like. My goal is to aim for something that sounds like a show from BBC Radio 4 or NPR, and I honestly believe that even though content is king there's only so much hiss and echoey audio a listener will put up with.

Edit: I nicked the SM58s from work though. So that was 200 pounds saved...

8one6
May 20, 2012

We started out with a Zoom H2 that we used for the first three years of the podcast. At the end of 2012 I had enough cash to upgrade everything so I switched to a tascam us-1800 interface so I could split everyone out on their own mic (we use SM58s I believe) and track. We have an 8 channel headphone amp so the 3-8 of us (depending on the episode) can all monitor ourselves (can't remember the model. I want to say Behringer something-something).

At the same time I upgraded the editing software from Audacity to Studio One and I am never going back to Audacity! Seriously, it is a major improvement. With S1 and everyone being on their own track it's made editing the podcast a breeze and now we don't sound like we're recording from a coffee can in someone's bathroom.

Compare this recorded with the H2 to this with the new setup.
Same environment, same people. (mostly, A lot of the old equipment episodes aren't online anymore and I couldn't find a good 1 to 1 comparison)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

thehustler posted:

Since you mention quality, can we talk about gear here?

For Smug Film we use:

Heil PR-40's (Three in total, got a good deal from them at HamCity, I think they were like $280 each? Now they're $327 on there, which seems to be standard price for them most places.)

Heil Windscreens (Early on we used mesh pop filters, but they didn't really filter the pops enough, and were cumbersome. Looked into getting those metal ones people typically use on PR-40's, but in videos of people using the product, I could see that they were popping just like my mesh ones did. Finally, on a lark, decided to try the Heil Windscreens. They get rid of pops PERFECTLY. No pops whatsoever. And, they're only $20 a piece, whereas those metal pop filters go for like $60 or so.)

Mackie 1202VLZ4 (I love the preamps on this, at one time we had just an old crappy Samson mixer but the preamps were horrible so I upgraded to this one. Night and day.)

Behringer MDX-4600 (My favorite piece of gear. Of all the equipment I have, this is the game changer. Really makes everything sound much more professional. If I had to get rid of all my equipment except for one thing, this is what I'd keep. Even with cheap microphones and a cheap mixer, this baby sings.)

Zoom H4n (Not ideal for mixer recording, wish I had something that takes line level, but I already owned it prior to podcasting, and with attenuators it's fine.)

Hosa XLR Attenuator (Two of these, to record from mixer to H4n.)

Behringer Microamp HA400 (For splitting headphones, so we all can hear ourselves.)

Sennheiser HD-280 (Not the best, but they are quite good, and certainly do the trick. If I had the money I'd get rid of em and get Sony MDR 7506's.)

Samson SP01 Spider Mounts (Pop out the ring, and they work for PR40's. Much cheaper than Heil's option.)

On Stage Boom Mic Stands (We have no place where we could put broadcast arms. These are fine.)

And then the rest of what we have is just cables to connect things to things. I process in Audition, edit in Audacity (I like a simpler interface for cutting) and noise reduce in iZotope RX.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Awesome kit list. I'm very jealous. That Behringer compressor in particular is droolworthy, but to be honest the Audition software compressor does me absolutely fine. I love that punch it gives to your vocals.

Also, no line in on the H4N? Seriously?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

8one6 posted:

Compare this recorded with the H2 to this with the new setup.
Same environment, same people. (mostly, A lot of the old equipment episodes aren't online anymore and I couldn't find a good 1 to 1 comparison)

Goddamn this is like night and day. Sounds brilliant. Do you do any post-processing/compression on the vocals?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

thehustler posted:

Awesome kit list. I'm very jealous. That Behringer compressor in particular is droolworthy, but to be honest the Audition software compressor does me absolutely fine. I love that punch it gives to your vocals.

Also, no line in on the H4N? Seriously?

Thanks! I use the Audition compressor too, mostly I use the MDX-4600 to get rid of background noise, mouth sounds, typing sounds, etc. I like that all I'm recording is voices, nothing else. And it cleans up Skype a lot.

And yeah, don't get me started on the h4n. I love the thing, it's a great piece of equipment for most things you'd wanna do with it, but the fact that they didn't include line-in on it is like such a dick move.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

codyclarke posted:

Thanks! I use the Audition compressor too, mostly I use the MDX-4600 to get rid of background noise, mouth sounds, typing sounds, etc. I like that all I'm recording is voices, nothing else. And it cleans up Skype a lot.

And yeah, don't get me started on the h4n. I love the thing, it's a great piece of equipment for most things you'd wanna do with it, but the fact that they didn't include line-in on it is like such a dick move.

I love love love the H5 I have. £219.00 is a steal for what it can do.

mancub
Aug 27, 2002

You guys and your awesome gear. I record with a cheap condenser mic and a blanket over my head. :(

8one6
May 20, 2012

thehustler posted:

Goddamn this is like night and day. Sounds brilliant. Do you do any post-processing/compression on the vocals?

A little. Every voice track gets hit with 5:1 or 4:1 (depending on the person) and then I use a 0db limiter on the main. I have a friend who got a degree in audio engineering back in 2012 and has been helping me learn a lot more about the audio editing craft.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
I'm sure all that extra gear makes things sound great if you know what you're doing. A USB mic is about as complicated as I can stand to be. We're still using Snowballs to record our weekly podcast (lawyerist.com/podcast). 80-20 rule says it's plenty good.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Just did a new episode of our Edinburgh Skeptics podcast and I'm really proud of how it's all been edited together, so I wanted to pimp it out to you guys and try and get a few more reviews.

Great interviews on a variety of scientific topics.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I've been kicking around the idea of a podcast for a while and I finally bit the bullet and got an H4n recorder to put some skin in the game. I work as a photographer and photo assistant, so my idea is to do a quick 30-45 minute interview with either a model I shoot, photographer I assist, art directors, something like that. I think there's a market for it since most of the photo industry podcasts I've found are basically 45 minute infomercials for photoshop actions and DVDs.

Anyway, is there a post in the thread about how to get started on the cheap, or does anyone recommend a best-practices guide to set myself up for success?

VV Thanks, I have a website on squarespace, might as well put that to use since I think I have unlimited bandwidth there. As you can tell, I'm a pro-tier internet user.

Second question: is the onboard H4n mic enough to record a conversation between two people? I don't want to make a production out of recording, more like an informal chat with the subject in a quiet room. Would I be able to just turn the H4n on, check levels and go? trying to keep it small in my camera bag and as unobtrusive as possible.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 9, 2015

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

red19fire posted:

So I've been kicking around the idea of a podcast for a while and I finally bit the bullet and got an H4n recorder to put some skin in the game. I work as a photographer and photo assistant, so my idea is to do a quick 30-45 minute interview with either a model I shoot, photographer I assist, art directors, something like that. I think there's a market for it since most of the photo industry podcasts I've found are basically 45 minute infomercials for photoshop actions and DVDs.

Anyway, is there a post in the thread about how to get started on the cheap, or does anyone recommend a best-practices guide to set myself up for success?

On the cheap, Libsyn can get you started for 5 bucks a month. This is really limited and they limit the stats you get as well at that price tier. However, Libsyn is a turn key solution, so you don't have to know about web stuff at all. You can probably do it cheaper if you already buy bandwidth, but your mileage may vary. The $20 a month tier is more than you need, go $7 or $15, depending out the size of your output.

Audacity is free and has plugins that can reduce white noise. It's not the best, but it's free.

Get on iTunes as soon as possible. Get on other podcast aggregators, but iTunes is where almost all of the user base is.

Other than that, just go for it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

red19fire posted:

VV Thanks, I have a website on squarespace, might as well put that to use since I think I have unlimited bandwidth there. As you can tell, I'm a pro-tier internet user.

Second question: is the onboard H4n mic enough to record a conversation between two people? I don't want to make a production out of recording, more like an informal chat with the subject in a quiet room. Would I be able to just turn the H4n on, check levels and go? trying to keep it small in my camera bag and as unobtrusive as possible.

The H4n should be fine for face to face recording. Give the manual a quick read through to make sure it's set up correctly (I only had to make that mistake once. )

I run a beginning podcasting seminar at Gen Con, if you would like I could link our outline/notes here in the thread.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Bear in mind if you're going to plug a mic into the XLR ports on the H4n, there's a bit of a hiss problem. As noted, some plugins can reduce that.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The h4n isn't going to give you studio-quality sound with just the onboard mics, but if you record in a quiet space it will probably be adequate. Long term, you'll probably want to invest in some mics to plug into the XLR ports on the thing.

vizanto
Jun 1, 2011
Hey all, so I wanted to reach out for some advice on hosting sites.

Right now I host a podcast on podomatic, it's kind of unique in that it's designed more as a promotional piece. Basically my friends run a theater company out in Phoenix and the podcast is designed to give interviews to actors and designers who work with us and talk about our upcoming shows. I'll link it anyway for any thoughts and tips on improving my weak hosting skills. Though again the podcast is really more designed for people who know us.

http://brelby.podomatic.com/

I'm asking because right now Podomatic's free account has been fine for what we've been doing, 40 or so minutes every two weeks or so and I just rotate out the oldest one. However, we're moving towards weekly recordings so I wanted to know the best place for hosting price wise since at this point we're going to need to put money down. My "producer" (the person who owns the theater) also wants to get us hosted on itunes, though I'm at a bit of a loss on how to get the ball rolling on that or if it'd even be worth it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

vizanto posted:

Hey all, so I wanted to reach out for some advice on hosting sites.

Right now I host a podcast on podomatic, it's kind of unique in that it's designed more as a promotional piece. Basically my friends run a theater company out in Phoenix and the podcast is designed to give interviews to actors and designers who work with us and talk about our upcoming shows. I'll link it anyway for any thoughts and tips on improving my weak hosting skills. Though again the podcast is really more designed for people who know us.

http://brelby.podomatic.com/

I'm asking because right now Podomatic's free account has been fine for what we've been doing, 40 or so minutes every two weeks or so and I just rotate out the oldest one. However, we're moving towards weekly recordings so I wanted to know the best place for hosting price wise since at this point we're going to need to put money down. My "producer" (the person who owns the theater) also wants to get us hosted on itunes, though I'm at a bit of a loss on how to get the ball rolling on that or if it'd even be worth it.

Getting on iTunes is easy, there's really nothing to it other than having your RSS feed properly formatted and maintained. They take pretty much any submission. As far as hosting, just get regular domain hosting and a domain name for the podcast. I like these guys, plus they're goons: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm about to start recording my first episode today :woop: This is probably unfeasible, but would it work to record from the H4n's onboard mic while hiking? Or at least outdoors in general? My house is kind of echoey, but there's lots of quiet hiking spots not far from here.

E: What are your settings for recording? According to google results I should be at 48k/16bit, but then there's arguments for and against using lo-cut and comp settings.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 17, 2015

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

red19fire posted:

I'm about to start recording my first episode today :woop: This is probably unfeasible, but would it work to record from the H4n's onboard mic while hiking? Or at least outdoors in general? My house is kind of echoey, but there's lots of quiet hiking spots not far from here.

E: What are your settings for recording? According to google results I should be at 48k/16bit, but then there's arguments for and against using lo-cut and comp settings.

If you're gonna record outdoors with the h4n, I'd suggest a dead kitten (yes, that's really what it's called) to stick on top of the mics. Also, keep in mind that if you're gonna be using the h4n handheld, you'll be getting noise from your fingers moving on it.

As far as sample rate, go 44.1 khz. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who records a podcast at 48 khz. And as far as any settings beyond that, such as lo-cut and compression, that's all to taste.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 19, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

You could get yourself, for the future, a wired tie-clip mic and put a fluffy on it, and stick it the recorder in your pocket.

dv8
May 25, 2015

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
The Fighter and The Kid with Brendan Schaub and Bryan Callen is worth a mention.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I've had a totally pie-in-the-sky idea for something I'd like to do with the Edinburgh Skeptics podcast and I want to know if anybody else has considered it, or if you know of anybody doing it.

Basically, BBC/NPR style radio documentaries, but for podcast download. I know you can download radio shows from the aforementioned broadcasters as podcasts, but is anybody doing that strictly for podcast distribution?

I think I just have ideas above my station and I want to tell stories or whatever.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I'm about to launch a spin off podcast from the main show. It's a Lets Play of a Dungeon World campaign. Our main show, Dork Night, is just general nerd topics.

Any tabletop specific or just nerd in general interested in a guest swapping?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

thehustler posted:

I've had a totally pie-in-the-sky idea for something I'd like to do with the Edinburgh Skeptics podcast and I want to know if anybody else has considered it, or if you know of anybody doing it.

Basically, BBC/NPR style radio documentaries, but for podcast download. I know you can download radio shows from the aforementioned broadcasters as podcasts, but is anybody doing that strictly for podcast distribution?

I think I just have ideas above my station and I want to tell stories or whatever.

Like Serial? That was kind of a big thing, so yeah, that is an appetite for it.

I know of a couple in Canada. Thello (from this very thread!) has one, and an ex-CBC guy runs one called Canadaland.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well yeah, Serial is exactly that though isn't it? Multiple parts. I guess I mean a This American Life kind of thing but without the big-budget. Although I specifically want to do this relating to the topic of our podcast as it is at the moment, namely science, reason, and critical thinking.

So, investigations about certain topics, maybe? With lots of on-location field recording and background music and sound effects. I'll have to bash heads with my recording partner and see if we can think of something. But statistics-based investigations where we interview people and go out into the real world and look at how things are affected and oh god I dunno I'm just thinking out loud.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Yeah, there is no reason it wouldn't work. Like I say, it is pretty much sounding like what Thello does. His podcast is at thelapse.org and I think he said it apparenty was voted among the best in <<something>> in 2014. It is a bit busy with the sound effects for my tastes, but it has undoubtedly found an audience.

Come to think of it, there is also the entire RadioTopia slate of shows. 99% Invisible is their biggest one, they have a dozen or so shows that can be heard at radiotopia.fm.

Best idea is to probably just try it out. Run it up a flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Had a listen to Canadaland and it's more long-form interviews than a documentary.

The Lapse, however, is definitely more in the direction I want to go. I'm also thinking of something similar to Freakanomics in the style and stories that I want to do.

Anyway, hello new podcast to listen to, so thanks for the tips :)

8one6
May 20, 2012

I just released the 200th episode of my Tabletop gaming podcast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009
Do you have any tips for longevity?