Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Is there currently no way to get a beta key without preordering a ship?
Desperate to play. Need some hot seamen action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:

Serotonin posted:

Is there currently no way to get a beta key without preordering a ship?
Desperate to play. Need some hot seamen action.

Borrow a friend's account.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dryer Lint posted:

I've been quoting Khalid ibn al Walid in English to my pubby teams and I no poo poo have been winning 90% of my pub matches.

"O men of Islam ! The time has come for steadfastness. Weakness and cowardice lead to disgrace; and he who is steadfast is more deserving of Allah's help!"

"Know that the help of Allah comes according to your desire. Let not the Muslims fear anything so long as they have the help of Allah!"

"Know, O Muslims, that you have never seen a Navy as you see now. If Allah defeats them by your hand, they shall never again stand against you!"

Too bad there's no built in audio chat, then you could shout Allahu Ackbar and blast the nasheed saleel al sawarim as you crash your ship into another one.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Do we know if there are any plans for a US BB as premium? I think I want one as crew trainer, my Montana needs a 10+ skill captain!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Dryer Lint posted:

Borrow a friend's account.

Dont have any with an account. :( Im gonan crack and preorder I can feel it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I enjoy playing skycancer. I'm awful with torpedos so I just get as many fighters up as possible.

Real sad I can't rename my ships.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So should I be using the stock guns or the researched guns on the Cleveland? An extra 1.5rpm from the 'better' guns seems like not enough of a boost in exchange for turrets that turn nearly as slowly as the ones on my Kongo

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Michaellaneous posted:

I enjoy playing skycancer. I'm awful with torpedos so I just get as many fighters up as possible.

This will bite you in the balls that one game you get where you are the only carrier on both teams and all you have is fighters and a single dive bomber squadron.

Also, as JuffoWup stated earlier, if they don't do anything to the Warspite, Sims and Atlanta I will happily play those 3 ships for ever more. All have their pros and cons but I think WG has got the balancing just about perfect on these 3.

See an Atlanta in a DD? Run the gently caress away.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

So should I be using the stock guns or the researched guns on the Cleveland? An extra 1.5rpm from the 'better' guns seems like not enough of a boost in exchange for turrets that turn nearly as slowly as the ones on my Kongo

The Cleveland's gimmick is throwing the maximum amount of shells out as possible, I'd take the reload over turn rate anytime.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

JuffoWup posted:

I know the warsprite is slow, but it seems to have the nagato's fun secondaries as well. It is the only other BB with a 5km secondary range anyway, so those with it might want to look into that.

Also, I picked up an atlanta to try it out. I was unaware it actually had 8 turrets. I only saw the 6, but it has one on either side of the center ala the earlier us cruisers. That means 7 turrets on a broadside. When I let them chain fire one after the other, it is absolutely hilarious to watch. The thing is a murder machine to DDs though. Once you have your line on them, just the volume of shells make DDs regret trying to get near you. On the other hand, I had a game where I was out 4 of my turrets. Those guns seem to be really really vulnerable. Btw, the turret rotation is very fast as well. Similar to the sims. So it just happily murders. I have a feeling the effectiveness of this ship will fall off next patch when the 152mm gun starts to show the need for he more due to bounces.

The 5-inchers ar ealready somewhat questionable against BBs. Had a match in the Nagato in which an Atlanta vomited more than 150 shells into me while I was busy brawling another BB and by the time I was done I was still at more than 20k hp left.

NTRabbit posted:

Get the upgraded ones. You'll have to learn to deal wth slower turrets anyway as you go up the line and having a 7.5 second reload is kinda ridiculous.

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 4, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTRabbit posted:

Having a slower reload can't be circumvented with good planning.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Burt posted:

This will bite you in the balls that one game you get where you are the only carrier on both teams and all you have is fighters and a single dive bomber squadron.

In that case I just say gently caress it because imho fightercover for my team is more important.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

In that case I just say gently caress it because imho fightercover for my team is more important.

It's actually not. Simply because if they get even a single run in, which is likely since your fighters cannot be everywhere at once, they have now contributed more to the match than you can ever do. In other words, the absolute best situation you can end up in is one where there are two ships not contributing anything to the match. And it only goes downhill from there.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
Hey look, you guys are famous. Thanks to the Mittani.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/12458-imperium-invasion-coming-soon/

quote:

Its not good for gaming to have these clowns around and they know it. They are parasites looking to ruin games for other people.

quote:

They can try in Africa but who cares what is going on there, probably some small meaningless African tribes fighting their bloody meaningless tribal wars over 20 gold.

quote:

Disruptive behavior. In other words, their idea of fun is to ruin yours, whether you're a 'tryhard' (hardcore gamer) or a 'pubbie' (casual gamer) - and if you're not a goon, in their eyes you fall into either of these two categories.

quote:

These numpties have way too much time on their hands. Bring 'em on, it'll be hilarious when they realise that all their usual childish methods won't work in this game. They'll probably resort to chat trolling and team-killing, being banned shortly thereafter. At the very least, WG will probably make a bit of money off them first, so it's a win win for us.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't think I should ever get into a Destroyer again. I just cannot win games in my Clermiston, I've got like a 10% wr in it. Every other ship is fine by that ship is haunted or something.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Aramoro posted:

I don't think I should ever get into a Destroyer again. I just cannot win games in my Clermiston, I've got like a 10% wr in it. Every other ship is fine by that ship is haunted or something.

I have won games singlehandedly in my Clemson. I have turned the tide of games my team would have lost. I had a game where one badly damaged BB had to face a full HP Kongo and Fuso. I caught both ships in and around islands as they were repositioning and destroyed them in torpedo salvos while using smoke for cover.

All I can say is the destroyers are very situational and require you to be very careful with your cooldowns.

I often wait until the bigger ships get greedy or engaged before carefully weaving through islands and then popping smoke to cover my torpedo attacks.

My guns are very reliable at closer ranges against cruisers and DDs and I often score multiple kills thanks to citadel hits.

Good DDs use their speed and stealth to quickly exploit Windows in the tactical situation to turn the tide of fights.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The retreat back to cover seems to be my biggest issue with DDs, might be because I take too many risks and overextend.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Tahirovic posted:

The retreat back to cover seems to be my biggest issue with DDs, might be because I take too many risks and overextend.

It's kind of a chess game. If you're just trying to take pieces you might be railroading yourself into an untenable position 3 moves later. Sometimes though your death is worth it because you took out high value targets in exchange for yourself.

I expect as people get more comfortable with the game and play / understand how DDs work I won't have the freedom to act that I used to.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Do we know if there are any plans for a US BB as premium? I think I want one as crew trainer, my Montana needs a 10+ skill captain!

As it currently stands, premium ships are effectively agnostic. A US dd captain can sit in a cruiser premium with no penalty.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Unlocked the Baltimore yesterday; don't think I'll make it to the Des Moines before the patch hits. Not a terrible ship, but doesn't play too much differently than the New Orleans. It's a little beefier, but a slightly slower rate of fire.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation

JuffoWup posted:

As it currently stands, premium ships are effectively agnostic. A US dd captain can sit in a cruiser premium with no penalty.

Yes, but you might want a different skill set for a CA captain than a DD or BB captain.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Still waiting for the british navy since I'm a britaboo.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Michaellaneous posted:

Still waiting for the british navy since I'm a britaboo.

Teaboo :colbert:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

MoraleHazard posted:

Unlocked the Baltimore yesterday; don't think I'll make it to the Des Moines before the patch hits. Not a terrible ship, but doesn't play too much differently than the New Orleans. It's a little beefier, but a slightly slower rate of fire.

Why do people keep saying "before the patch hits" I thought this next one was mechanics change and not a reset.
Or am I overthinking this and all it is, is a timeframe

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 4, 2015

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Saw the funniest thing in a match yesterday:

A pubbie in a battleship, slooooowly peeking around and island... firing a volley... and then HITTING REVERSE and slowly, glacially backing up behind the cover of the islands again.

Like he was driving a 300-meter tank.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
That Minekaze....it's a good ship....

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
It is, sadly the ships that come after it are worse.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Saw the funniest thing in a match yesterday:

A pubbie in a battleship, slooooowly peeking around and island... firing a volley... and then HITTING REVERSE and slowly, glacially backing up behind the cover of the islands again.

Like he was driving a 300-meter tank.

I've seen this several times, I had to tell one of them to get out and fight or I'd broadside him myself, I may have finished that match with -1 points. Worth it imo.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

orange juche posted:

I've seen this several times, I had to tell one of them to get out and fight or I'd broadside him myself, I may have finished that match with -1 points. Worth it imo.

Waiting for the mod that implements truck-reverse-beeping for battleships.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

So, should I essentially be lobbing AP at all times in a Cruiser, unless I'm shooting a Battleship at medium range, or a Destroyer at any range, or an Aircraft Carrier?

Have I got that right?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Cruisers can normally just shoot all AP all the time. Use HE only if you really wanna set a BB or CV on fire.

Hencoe posted:

Why do people keep saying "before the patch hits" I thought this next one was mechanics change and not a reset.

Well in my case it made sense because unlocking the Yamato right now means you get to skip Tier 9. :colbert:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Hencoe posted:

Using the Yamato as an example, if I don't unlock it now via the tier 8 Amagi I am hosed because they are introducing a tier 9 that I will have to slog through. If I unlock it now though I get the 9 as a gift for being a glutton for punishment.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tindahbawx posted:

So, should I essentially be lobbing AP at all times in a Cruiser, unless I'm shooting a Battleship at medium range, or a Destroyer at any range, or an Aircraft Carrier?

Have I got that right?

No, shoot AP at destroyers. I even recommend shooting carriers with AP, just to kill them quicker so their planes don't get to leave period.

Fires are just too random to expect from any given volley. It's ok to try and set fires if you're in a ridiculous shell-slinging ship like the Cleveland/Atlanta/Des Moines/Gearing, but most ships don't shoot fast enough to make the piddling fire damage worth it compared to sick citadel money shots.

Cruisers should try to make sure they aren't the only one fighting a battleship, first and foremost. You can still shoot AP at their vulnerable areas and do ~6000 damage each volley. Again, HE is only useful if you can throw out a billion shells anyways, and the fire damage becomes an added bonus.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

No, shoot AP at destroyers. I even recommend shooting carriers with AP, just to kill them quicker so their planes don't get to leave period.

Fires are just too random to expect from any given volley. It's ok to try and set fires if you're in a ridiculous shell-slinging ship like the Cleveland/Atlanta/Des Moines/Gearing, but most ships don't shoot fast enough to make the piddling fire damage worth it compared to sick citadel money shots.

Cruisers should try to make sure they aren't the only one fighting a battleship, first and foremost. You can still shoot AP at their vulnerable areas and do ~6000 damage each volley. Again, HE is only useful if you can throw out a billion shells anyways, and the fire damage becomes an added bonus.

At extreme range where you're hitting with 2-3 shells out of a 12 shot volley, HE sometimes gives me better results than AP when shooting at other cruisers or BBs. More fire, module damage, and generally less random damage. AP alternates between like 80 and 1100ish, with the occasional 3k citadel crit. HE is 380-400ish every hit, and tends to wreck up things in a hurry. Plus if you set them on fire pubbies will blow the damage control party every single time, which mean when the next shot fucks the rudder up, you light the bitch up for focus fire and they die like a scrub when everyone jumps on the easy kill.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

At extreme range where you're hitting with 2-3 shells out of a 12 shot volley, HE sometimes gives me better results than AP when shooting at other cruisers or BBs. More fire, module damage, and generally less random damage. AP alternates between like 80 and 1100ish, with the occasional 3k citadel crit. HE is 380-400ish every hit, and tends to wreck up things in a hurry. Plus if you set them on fire pubbies will blow the damage control party every single time, which mean when the next shot fucks the rudder up, you light the bitch up for focus fire and they die like a scrub when everyone jumps on the easy kill.

You are obviously playing a different game than us, where does this amazing pubbie coop play happen?

Every time I see someone ping a ship for focus fire it's from some retard in a battleship who has decided to go one side all on his own and then it's "our" fault he gets slaughtered for not supporting them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You shouldn't be shooting at ranges where you basically aren't hitting anything.

Wouldn't shooting HE and hoping for a rudder hit be leaving things more to random chance anyways? Cruisers can kill other cruisers in two salvoes, but instead you want to hit a rudder for 200 damage and then hope pubbies shoot the same ship?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 4, 2015

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Depending on the target and the range I use HE sometimes for the same reasons - I'm not so awesome at aiming that I can land 15km citadel hits consistently, so sometimes slinging HE just lets me do more average damage, it feels like.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You shouldn't be shooting at ranges where you basically aren't hitting anything.

Wouldn't shooting HE and hoping for a rudder hit be leaving things more to random chance anyways? Cruisers can kill other cruisers in two salvoes, but instead you want to hit a rudder for 200 damage and then hope pubbies shoot the same ship?

Being a dickhead and making GBS threads rounds at anything that gets within my engagement envelope? Even the pubbies aren't stupid enough to steam ahead in a straight line these days. Which means playing guess the course and speed, which means 1-2 hits per volley, tops. Fire makes pubbies panic, and every other game at least one Fuso will listen and take a single volley potshot at whoever I left unable to turn, or whose engines I broke, which generally will actually hit and gently caress them right up.

I also like to pick a BB to buddy up with in my Cleveland or Nicholas, and work with them on loving pubbies. More than once I've gotten the BB to bait someone into circling the island and directly into a torpedo volley or a 12 barrel gently caress you from 4km.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation

Michaellaneous posted:

You better get good with torpedoes, otherwise it's no pubbie tears for you:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Magni posted:

The 5-inchers ar ealready somewhat questionable against BBs. Had a match in the Nagato in which an Atlanta vomited more than 150 shells into me while I was busy brawling another BB and by the time I was done I was still at more than 20k hp left.
At max range AP is fine if you can land the hits because the angle is so steep they'll almost always penetrate as long as they don't hit the superstructure. Once you get closer those it because way more iffy as the angle gets shallower at which point it's better to switch to HE rather than ping 89 damage shots off the belt of a BB (0 damage after the patch).