Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kaizoku posted:

You're not going to get a better answer than you've gotten here, twice even. Until you can test the SIM in your unlocked device it would be foolish to buy another.

And even then if it "works" you have to hope your visual voicemail doesn't get janked because Verizon doesn't know you have an iPhone anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Kaizoku posted:

You're not going to get a better answer than you've gotten here, twice even. Until you can test the SIM in your unlocked device it would be foolish to buy another.

Ok, thanks :)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So my iPhone's flash goes off every time it has a notification, and it's annoying as poo poo, and I want to make it stop, but I can't find the thing that makes it stop in Settings.

How do I make my flash stop going off every single time my iPhone decides it wants to tell me something?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It'll be in Accessibility, something like Visual Bell maybe?

e: Settings > General > Accessibility > LED Flash for Alerts

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

carry on then posted:

It'll be in Accessibility, something like Visual Bell maybe?

e: Settings > General > Accessibility > LED Flash for Alerts

THANK YOU! That's been driving me nuts for days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love that feature ! I used to have a Sony phone with a notification light and I missed it.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

bronin posted:

Anyone else having this bug?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1856030

I noticed it a few weeks back and it's driving me nuts.

Yes! And it's driving me up the wall too!

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Regarding that whole Verizon vs AT&T 6. Is it a similar sort of situation with an out of country phone? I have a 6 from New Zealand and New Zealand phones traditionally work on AT&T but is it possible mine'll work on Verizon too? Should be unlocked, it was purchased from Apple outright rather than on a plan.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

If I switch carriers by having T-Mobile buy me out of my AT&T contract, do I have to give them my old iPhone 6 or can I keep it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

If I switch carriers by having T-Mobile buy me out of my AT&T contract, do I have to give them my old iPhone 6 or can I keep it?

I'm 99% sure you have to give them the phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You can give then any AT&T phone, and you can buy any T-Mobile smartphone. You do not have to give back a specific phone, just a phone.

A coworker of mine gave T-Mobile a crappy old Sprint flip phone out of his junk drawer, and bought a $49 refurb Android phone in order to get his $300 Sprint ETF paid for. He then put the SIM into his real phone.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Okay let me just say what the situation is and see if I'm getting this right.

I dropped my AT&T iPhone 6 and broke it to the point where the screen is flashing colored lines and everything on the screen is flashing and looks like it's glitching really hard. Really hosed up. I have insurance through AT&T. I've been wanting to switch to T-Mobile anyway, where my family has a plan.

Ideally I'd like to get a new iPhone 6 through the AT&T insurance with the deductible. Then go to T-Mobile. Get them to pay for the Early Termination Fee while still keeping my AT&T iPhone 6 and getting an iPhone 6 from T-Mobile. So could I give T an old AT&T android I have that isn't being used, get them to pay the the ETF from AT&T, and then get a new T-Mobile iPhone 6 for $200(or $300, whatever it is for the new phone with them)?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Okay let me just say what the situation is and see if I'm getting this right.

I dropped my AT&T iPhone 6 and broke it to the point where the screen is flashing colored lines and everything on the screen is flashing and looks like it's glitching really hard. Really hosed up. I have insurance through AT&T. I've been wanting to switch to T-Mobile anyway, where my family has a plan.

Ideally I'd like to get a new iPhone 6 through the AT&T insurance with the deductible. Then go to T-Mobile. Get them to pay for the Early Termination Fee while still keeping my AT&T iPhone 6 and getting an iPhone 6 from T-Mobile. So could I give T an old AT&T android I have that isn't being used, get them to pay the the ETF from AT&T, and then get a new T-Mobile iPhone 6 for $200(or $300, whatever it is for the new phone with them)?

If you are getting your phone fixed through insurance, and turning in your Android phone, why would you need another iphone 6? :confused: I could be wrong, but I thought Tmobile's deal was that you financed the full price of the phone through them, not a $200/$300/whatever price.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

If it only cost me a couple hundred I wouldn't mind just having it as a backup

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

If it only cost me a couple hundred I wouldn't mind just having it as a backup

Like I said, I think you will be paying full price for it on Tmobile, there is no contract price because there isn't a contract.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Super Dude posted:

Like I said, I think you will be paying full price for it on Tmobile, there is no contract price because there isn't a contract.

Yeah T-mobile doesn't subside the cost of the phone , so you'd be paying like $800 for another 6

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Had to take in my iPhone 5 today to my local Apple approved service center for battery bulge (it cracked my otterbox); if my home button hadn't stopped working, I wouldn't have known anything was wrong until it set me on fire. It doesn't look like there is any additional damage and I take good care of my phones.

How good is Apple about fixing this problem out of warranty? I can swing the battery replacement cost if I have to, but the full replacement cost is just too high. I'm trying to hold off on a new phone until the 6S or 7 is out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm not sure how an authorized service center would handle it. An Apple Store would be more likely to replace it I think. A bulging battery is a huge hazard so they might replace it because of safety concerns (and maybe bad publicity).

Regardless, YMMV. Worst they can say is no.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I thought the battery situation was one where'd they would typically look the other way on the warranty, since the cost of a battery replacement was outweighed by the liability of a phone battery starting a fire.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

harmless_fun posted:

Had to take in my iPhone 5 today to my local Apple approved service center for battery bulge (it cracked my otterbox); if my home button hadn't stopped working, I wouldn't have known anything was wrong until it set me on fire. It doesn't look like there is any additional damage and I take good care of my phones.

How good is Apple about fixing this problem out of warranty? I can swing the battery replacement cost if I have to, but the full replacement cost is just too high. I'm trying to hold off on a new phone until the 6S or 7 is out.

i'm pretty sure swollen batteries in iPhones are covered for 3 years.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought the battery situation was one where'd they would typically look the other way on the warranty, since the cost of a battery replacement was outweighed by the liability of a phone battery starting a fire.

This is typically the case. I had a MacBook that was well out of warranty by a few years and they replaced the swelling battery without any issues. I'm sure they don't want to have to deal with a battery exploding than losing whatever they do on just replacing it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WetSpink posted:

Regarding that whole Verizon vs AT&T 6. Is it a similar sort of situation with an out of country phone? I have a 6 from New Zealand and New Zealand phones traditionally work on AT&T but is it possible mine'll work on Verizon too? Should be unlocked, it was purchased from Apple outright rather than on a plan.
It has the correct LTE bands for Verizon, but I don't know if it has the right CDMA ones since it looks like the NZ phones are the same as US Sprint phones.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not sure how an authorized service center would handle it. An Apple Store would be more likely to replace it I think. A bulging battery is a huge hazard so they might replace it because of safety concerns (and maybe bad publicity).

Regardless, YMMV. Worst they can say is no.

Yeah, I would have taken it to the Apple store if my closest one wasn't 2 hours away. I will try that option if I need to though.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

empty baggie posted:

i'm pretty sure swollen batteries in iPhones are covered for 3 years.

This is correct.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Noticing a weird issue on my phone. In iTunes, it's reporting 2.34gb free on my 6 Plus, but when I go to settings -> usage it's only showing about ~450mb. I'm assuming the 450mb is accurate but is this just normal?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

robodex posted:

Noticing a weird issue on my phone. In iTunes, it's reporting 2.34gb free on my 6 Plus, but when I go to settings -> usage it's only showing about ~450mb. I'm assuming the 450mb is accurate but is this just normal?

I definitely have a discrepancy between my iPhone 5S and iTunes for "actual" free space. The difference is usually only 500-800MB or so. Last time I synced, iTunes said I had 1GB, but my iPhone said it only had 200MB free. How big is your iPhone 6?

My iPhone 5S is 64GB and mostly used for music. I'm genuinely curious if this is a size related thing (I'm planning in upgrading to a 128GB 6S).

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 4, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Sorry, should have mentioned but it's only 16gb.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My HDD is starting to fail and so I'm going to be reinstalling Windows, iTunes, etc. onto a new one.

I know you can just copy and paste the whole iTunes media folder from one machine to another, point the software to it for the library and everything comes across just as it was, but will that force my iPhone to completely wipe all its music and resync it from scratch the next time I go to sync, or will it recognise that it's a copy of the old library and only sync any changes that were made?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has anyone used this?

https://www.stockunlocks.com/product/att-iphone-unlock-service-6-Plus-premium

It's one of the first sites that pops up on google, but obviously none of these sites inspire a ton of confidence.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They're all going to be shady to some degree because the critical factor in the unlock is a disgruntled AT&T employee who has access to Apple's unlock portal.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kitten smoothie posted:

They're all going to be shady to some degree because the critical factor in the unlock is a disgruntled AT&T employee who has access to Apple's unlock portal.

Oh definitely, I'm just hoping it works with an iPhone 6 still locked to AT&T.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh definitely, I'm just hoping it works with an iPhone 6 still locked to AT&T.

If you try it, please report back as I'd be interested in the service as well.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

robodex posted:

Just an update: I went and did a wipe/restore from icloud today and i'm back up to 4.9gb. Most of that is probably app cache but I find it hard to believe with the maybe 30 apps I had installed I had 4.5gb of cache on my phone. All I can think is I had some deleted apps that still had data on my phone?

Luckily iCloud makes doing it ridiculously easy so it wasn't a big deal (I was maybe without a usable phone for 5 minutes) and I'm at work so the bandwidth wasn't a big issue.

Now another annoying question: is there any way to reorder the photos from iCloud Photo Library? I imported ~1000 photos last night from my old devices through the website. On the site, when I go to all photos they're ordered chronologically (ie when they were taken based on EXIF data,) but on my phone they're ordered from when they were added. Going to moments/collections orders them correctly. It's a really minor thing but I'm a little weird when it comes to my photos and would like them ordered as they should.

I figured restoring from backup would fix it, but no dice :( my next thought is to just turn off iCloud Photo Library on my phone, delete all the photos and then turn it back on to re-sync.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

How good are Apple at covering hairline cracks (specifically in the corner) under warranty? I have AppleCare+ but it's not bad enough for me to pay to have it replaced under AC+. I haven't dropped it so I'm hoping they'll consider it a defect rather than accidental damage. iPhone 6 Plus for what it's worth.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If it's a single crack with no webbing and no point of impact they'll typically cover it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just came in to confirm that I am never migrating to Android.

My father is using a Galaxy S2 and wanted to install Uber. I had to set up a gmail account for him, which is fine. I then couldnt find the Play Store, because apparently this device doesnt receive updates and it was called "Market" but wasnt in the app menu, it was in the 'Google' menu.

so I download that and open it, and it tells me its upgraded to the play store. I think "OK Cool, now I can show him how to download and install apps" so I close out to go to the home screen and open up the app menu.

The Play Store icon vanishes before our very eyes. I reboot, and its not there. There is no sign of it anywhere on the device, but it is running in the app info screen or whatever the gently caress that menu button is.

Theres all this other carrier-based app poo poo all over the phone - a total of about 30 icons of stuff that leads to dead web pages and some thing called "Apex Launcher" which has no icon, no menu, and no way of removing. even googling for removing shows that its a complex process.

"gently caress it, I'll factory reset the phone"

So I make sure his account is syncing so he doesnt lose his contacts. it says 'last synced at 6:26PM'. I re-sync just to confirm. It goes green and updates the sync time.

I tried about 6 times to wipe the phone but it didnt work. reboot. My battery has gone from 50% to 12% during the reboot. I then factory reset the phone.

It begins installing all the lovely carrier apps and Apex launcher again. For a factory reset, this isnt very factory! oh well. I log in to his gmail account. No contacts. no settings or passwords.

Awesome.

so Google Play Store is still not there, and market is back. I re-update to Play Store, leave it open, download the uber app. close Play Store. it disappears again.

Re-sync contacts in settings. no contacts. Log into Gmail account on PC, no contacts. WOO.

Import the SIM contacts (which was most of them anyway). No intuitive method of doing this besides tap+hold to import. then 'menu' button allows 'import all'.

so now i have triplicates of all entries in address book.

Phone died due to low battery.

this took approximately 30 minutes.

In comparison, I factory reset my iPad, wiped 40GB of data in the process and restored it to exactly how it was before hand (minus the VLC movie files making up that 40GB) all the way down to the version of the apps I had installed at the time of the backup, and it took me less than 10 minutes to get up and running again.

What the gently caress is wrong with people who choose android?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Laserface posted:

There are great Android phones that run great versions of the OS. Sadly, 99% of all the people you ever meet will not be the ones who were willing to spend the money on the good phones.

That is one bonus of iOS/Apple. There's either "great" or "used to be great, but is a little old now." Android's openness is a blessing and a curse, since it also means that "lovely at launch, even shittier now that people are buying it 3 years later" is another purchasing option for people who don't understand why you want to spend more money on a better phone. Try explaining why my iPhone that cost half a grand (or a similarly priced modern Samsung) is faster at doing stuff than their £50 Huawei.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Laserface posted:

Just came in to confirm that I am never migrating to Android.

My father is using a Galaxy S2 and wanted to install Uber. I had to set up a gmail account for him, which is fine. I then couldnt find the Play Store, because apparently this device doesnt receive updates and it was called "Market" but wasnt in the app menu, it was in the 'Google' menu.

so I download that and open it, and it tells me its upgraded to the play store. I think "OK Cool, now I can show him how to download and install apps" so I close out to go to the home screen and open up the app menu.

The Play Store icon vanishes before our very eyes. I reboot, and its not there. There is no sign of it anywhere on the device, but it is running in the app info screen or whatever the gently caress that menu button is.

Theres all this other carrier-based app poo poo all over the phone - a total of about 30 icons of stuff that leads to dead web pages and some thing called "Apex Launcher" which has no icon, no menu, and no way of removing. even googling for removing shows that its a complex process.

"gently caress it, I'll factory reset the phone"

So I make sure his account is syncing so he doesnt lose his contacts. it says 'last synced at 6:26PM'. I re-sync just to confirm. It goes green and updates the sync time.

I tried about 6 times to wipe the phone but it didnt work. reboot. My battery has gone from 50% to 12% during the reboot. I then factory reset the phone.

It begins installing all the lovely carrier apps and Apex launcher again. For a factory reset, this isnt very factory! oh well. I log in to his gmail account. No contacts. no settings or passwords.

Awesome.

so Google Play Store is still not there, and market is back. I re-update to Play Store, leave it open, download the uber app. close Play Store. it disappears again.

Re-sync contacts in settings. no contacts. Log into Gmail account on PC, no contacts. WOO.

Import the SIM contacts (which was most of them anyway). No intuitive method of doing this besides tap+hold to import. then 'menu' button allows 'import all'.

so now i have triplicates of all entries in address book.

Phone died due to low battery.

this took approximately 30 minutes.

In comparison, I factory reset my iPad, wiped 40GB of data in the process and restored it to exactly how it was before hand (minus the VLC movie files making up that 40GB) all the way down to the version of the apps I had installed at the time of the backup, and it took me less than 10 minutes to get up and running again.

There's two problems here. First, it's Samsung. Second, the phone was released in early 2011, what did you expect? Third, it's Samsung.

On a more serious note though, most of what you said is true. Carrier bloat on Android phones sucks, also there's nothing comparable to Apple's simple backup solution with icloud.
Android flagships are really nice nowadays, especially if you get a near stock Android experience like on Motorola for example.
But like the poster above me said, what are people expecting with a 4 year old phone or new phones that cost less than 100 bucks?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's hard to read your post past s2. Grab an iPhone 4 and see what's possible.

I have to test designs on a s5 and a note and they both run smooth and don't really have big problems past dumb poo poo Samsung added to the OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The problem isn't the age of the phone or the bloat ware, what's annoying is that I nuked my dads contacts after it specifically confirmed data was synced. The madness of the disappearing App Store was also a pain in the rear end.

He only uses it for calls and text so the only benefit of an iPhone is a bigger screen ( for him that's a big deal, being 63)