Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Imposter Syndrome is a thing, and it seems like IT has it more than most.

Usually it goes like this:

"Hm, I can't believe how easy this is and how much they're paying me to do it"
"Wait, something's wrong. It's supposed to be hard. Why isn't it hard?"
"Maybe... maybe I don't know this stuff and even though it looks easy to me, I'm probably completely overlooking the real problem because I'm not smart enough."
"I'm a fraud. Any day now, someone is going to totally call me on my poo poo"
"My stomach hurts."

Don't worry. You're not dumb, or they wouldn't have hired you. It'll take some time to get into the groove, but you'll do fine.

You have no idea how much better this makes me feel, I tell my younger family going to college about imposter syndrome all the time. Never occurred to me I might be in for a lifetime of it, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

On imposter syndrome - read this. Then sleep on it, and read it again later. Then read it some more if you still feel like a fraud down the line.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The important thing to remember is that 60% of any tech's job is knowing how to google the damned problem. The other 35% is finding the damned problem to google, and the remaining 5% is making the rest look good.

After a while of working on an OS/App, stuff will stick and you won't have to search as much. But the core of it is always there: know how to find the problem, ask questions, and narrow down the resolution to what works. Once you get a baseline understanding on how stuff works and talks to other bits, you can dive in deeper where you're most comfortable.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Also think about the lovely co-workers people complain about in this thread. They still have jobs.

You'll be fine.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Eonwe posted:

In one week I'm starting a help desk / network support job and every day I get more and more nervous

Seems like a good job with nice people and pay, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm not going to cut it

Being personable and a good communicator will get you 10000000x further than knowing everything there is to know about whatever technology you're supporting. In fact, I wouldn't bother memorizing details about stuff at first unless it is used often and very important. Knowing where to find your info is more important than knowing the info itself off the top of your head.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

Plus resigning from my current job. I'm not looking forward to that part, if it comes to it.

Late to the party, but just a reminder, gently caress feeling bad about leaving a job. You don't owe an employer anything but good work while you are there.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Can someone post that .gif about formatting deliverables please :shobon: The one that replaces spreadsheets with white space

e: Found it

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 4, 2015

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Eonwe posted:

You have no idea how much better this makes me feel, I tell my younger family going to college about imposter syndrome all the time. Never occurred to me I might be in for a lifetime of it, haha

Man its like everyone in this thread has forgotten how IT actually works.

Just google it. You'll be fine

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hell, the CCIE I was doing an install with last week was looking on Google to troubleshoot a problem. Nobody can know everything.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I've been googling today on how to get a CCIE. I'm sure if/when I get it, I will continue to google things. Google is everything. The root, the cause, the solution, the answer to all.

Sometimes when a first line guy comes and asks me "why doesnt this work" or "what should I do here" and I don't have a clue myself, at that point the only difference between me and the first line guy is that I can use google better than they can to find the answer.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 4, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I get the opposite of impostor syndrome sometimes. I feel like I've accomplished and done all of the low hanging fruit in IT. I've become basically a good generalist. OK at and at least semi-knowledgeable on most things. The problem comes when it's time to troubleshoot or when poo poo goes wrong. I wont know the answer off the top of my head and I will have to spend time researching and reaching out to others for help. I hate that feeling of not knowing though, and not being able to give a good answer on the spot. It's why I think I need to start specializing in one area of IT. I've got the solid broad foundation now I need to find the one thing I can spend the rest of my career diving down deep into. Be it networking, SCCM, storage, Windows admin whatever. I need to decide on an area and focus on it wholeheartedly.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I get the opposite of impostor syndrome sometimes. I feel like I've accomplished and done all of the low hanging fruit in IT. I've become basically a good generalist. OK at and at least semi-knowledgeable on most things. The problem comes when it's time to troubleshoot or when poo poo goes wrong. I wont know the answer off the top of my head and I will have to spend time researching and reaching out to others for help. I hate that feeling of not knowing though, and not being able to give a good answer on the spot. It's why I think I need to start specializing in one area of IT. I've got the solid broad foundation now I need to find the one thing I can spend the rest of my career diving down deep into. Be it networking, SCCM, storage, Windows admin whatever. I need to decide on an area and focus on it wholeheartedly.

I want to do this but since I work for a consulting firm it's extremely hard, this week I'll be doing VMM configurations and next week I'll be all up in SCCM.

E: What I mean is, sometimes the job just won't allow that. Also, I've had the "must call someone else" thing on a client, and it feels like poo poo. But that's reality, we can't know it all. (Especially if you're still young, like me)

orange sky fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 4, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Like psydude said, no one can know everything. If I am in a meeting with other groups or end users, I will typically say: 'I am fairly sure I know how to resolve this issue, but I need to do some testing to certain.'

This is code for 'I have no loving clue what is going on here and I need to Google some poo poo and get back to you after I've figured it out.'

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had a Cisco consultant put in ESA (email security) and CWS (web security) and gently caress if I know how to admin these things. The guy left and went on vacation for a week while I'm trying to learn how to fix all the poo poo that broke.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My trajectory in the hell desk so far has been:

I know nothing! HELP!

I... I think I've got this down now.

gently caress, I know too much, this is boooooooring

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Imposter Syndrome is a thing, and it seems like IT has it more than most.

Usually it goes like this:

"Hm, I can't believe how easy this is and how much they're paying me to do it"
"Wait, something's wrong. It's supposed to be hard. Why isn't it hard?"
"Maybe... maybe I don't know this stuff and even though it looks easy to me, I'm probably completely overlooking the real problem because I'm not smart enough."
"I'm a fraud. Any day now, someone is going to totally call me on my poo poo"
"My stomach hurts."

Don't worry. You're not dumb, or they wouldn't have hired you. It'll take some time to get into the groove, but you'll do fine.

In a year to 15 months, this turns into "My job is boring and I'm not getting paid nearly enough for my capabilities."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ElGroucho posted:

My trajectory in the hell desk so far has been:

I know nothing! HELP!

I... I think I've got this down now.

gently caress, I know too much, this is boooooooring

Yup, this was my trajectory also. This is why I'm looking into getting my next cert so I can move to Jr. sys admin somewhere or something like that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I make bad life decisions

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I make bad life decisions

Sarnia, Ontario?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 6, 2016

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mayodreams posted:

This is code for 'I have no loving clue what is going on here and I need to Google some poo poo and get back to you after I've figured it out.'

I'll just remind everyone here that Googling (a.k.a. Research) is a real skill that relatively few people know how to do well. If you told a non-IT person that most of what you do involves a Google search, they'd probably think, "Man I could do that, why are these people worth so much money?" but if they actually tried to solve the problems that we solve just by using Google, they would be utterly lost.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As if the short line railroad wasn't a weird enough asset for my company I just got handed a 140 acre industrial site. About 20 worn out PCs running the usual assortment of weird building control and industrial software. Magic 8 Ball says there are lots of VMs in my future.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

I'll just remind everyone here that Googling (a.k.a. Research) is a real skill that relatively few people know how to do well. If you told a non-IT person that most of what you do involves a Google search, they'd probably think, "Man I could do that, why are these people worth so much money?" but if they actually tried to solve the problems that we solve just by using Google, they would be utterly lost.

This is so true!

Most everyone that's said to me "you're overpaid for sitting at a desk and JUST fixing computer problems all day" (most of whom work commodity level blue collar jobs) has called me at LEAST once and said "gently caress man, I don't know, XYZ was happening to my computer, and I tried to fix it, but now it's all sorts of loving hosed! Can you take a look at it??"

So I say, not only would they be lost, but often they'd actually be WORSE off than before they looked for an answer. Knowing how to look for answers also has a lot to do with knowing what answers are usually wrong.
(and what answers can get you into trouble because they are scams/viruses, etc, etc)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Dick Trauma posted:

As if the short line railroad wasn't a weird enough asset for my company I just got handed a 140 acre industrial site. About 20 worn out PCs running the usual assortment of weird building control and industrial software. Magic 8 Ball says there are lots of VMs in my future.

Man what industry are you in

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Ahdinko posted:

I've been googling today on how to get a CCIE. I'm sure if/when I get it, I will continue to google things. Google is everything. The root, the cause, the solution, the answer to all.

Sometimes when a first line guy comes and asks me "why doesnt this work" or "what should I do here" and I don't have a clue myself, at that point the only difference between me and the first line guy is that I can use google better than they can to find the answer.

This has been my entire career as a network engineer thus far.

There are three skills.

- Understanding network layouts
- Being able to get the information needed to do X
- General troubleshooting. This is a skillset in its own.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there any reason not to use the Powershell ISE over the console 99% of the time?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I thankfully dont have to deal with printers all that often but my grandparents have a home office printer they wanted to help me with. I was looking online for a manual or video on replacing the part and found this brilliant man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA1Wb59Dntc

Never have I seen more enthusiasm for servicing printers.
"Hold on to your seats kids, were taking a deep dive into transfer belts!"

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 4, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

This has been my entire career as a network engineer thus far.

There are three skills.

- Understanding network layouts
- Being able to get the information needed to do X
- General troubleshooting. This is a skillset in its own.

If you're a consultant, add the following:
-Possess the people skills to convince kermudgeony gray beards, starchy government employees, and cash-strapped nonprofit marketing associates-who-are-also-the-IT-person-because-they-know-how-to-social-media that their piece of poo poo infrastructure from 1997 is a ticking time bomb

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Tab8715 posted:

Is there any reason not to use the Powershell ISE over the console 99% of the time?

I think the console might be slightly faster?

I dunno, I only use the ISE :v:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

From a few pages back, where the powershell v3 video was posted. Can we talk about how bad this guy's tie and shirt are?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

The console loads faster than the ISE :v: It's a really good ISE though, for Powershell.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bobmarleysghost posted:

From a few pages back, where the powershell v3 video was posted. Can we talk about how bad this guy's tie and shirt are?

Dude invented Powershell, so he gets a pass.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

FISHMANPET posted:

Dude invented Powershell, so he gets a pass.

true and I feel like criticizing fashion and/or style in this industry is just low hanging fruit, I don't do it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I see nothing wrong with his shirt, but I have no sense of fashion and still dress like I'm working at babby's first real job (jeans and a polo shirt every day).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

metavisual posted:

This is so true!

Most everyone that's said to me "you're overpaid for sitting at a desk and JUST fixing computer problems all day" (most of whom work commodity level blue collar jobs) has called me at LEAST once and said "gently caress man, I don't know, XYZ was happening to my computer, and I tried to fix it, but now it's all sorts of loving hosed! Can you take a look at it??"

So I say, not only would they be lost, but often they'd actually be WORSE off than before they looked for an answer. Knowing how to look for answers also has a lot to do with knowing what answers are usually wrong.
(and what answers can get you into trouble because they are scams/viruses, etc, etc)

"That's why I get paid the big bucks"

:smith:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Gyshall posted:

true and I feel like criticizing fashion and/or style in this industry is just low hanging fruit, I don't do it.

I get that, I myself wear t-shirts and jeans at work, but still, that tie is garish.
But he did invent PS, so he can dress like a clown and I'd still use it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

metavisual posted:

I've posted this before, but if you stop and think about what you do when you "just Google a problem," it's way, waaaaaay more than just Googling the problem. We distill an enormous amount of information about the problem and the problem space into a tiny handful of words that in combination are very likely upon being entered into Google to result in the answer to our problem, or if not, point us in the right direction or give us some kind of clue. We just tend not to appreciate what we're doing because we distill the information almost automatically. That, along with a technical vocabulary that allows us to be far more precise than a user when it comes to posing a question to a search engine, comes with experience.

It's second nature to us; that doesn't mean it's not a valuable skill.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Otoh, "copy error verbatim into google, click on stack exchange" is easy enough an intern can do it.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

I get that, I myself wear t-shirts and jeans at work, but still, that tie is garish.
But he did invent PS, so he can dress like a clown and I'd still use it.

Its a very "corporate programmer from the 80's/early 90's" thing to do. My dad did the same thing except replace goofy neck ties with gaudy bolo ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

It's second nature to us; that doesn't mean it's not a valuable skill.

I agree totally. It's just that other people outside of this industry don't realize that. That don't look at it as a skill, even though they've seen, in practice, that it IS.