Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Well, there are officially licensed Danmachi bedsheets coming out, and they're not what I expected...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hadaka Apron posted:

Well, there are officially licensed Danmachi bedsheets coming out, and they're not what I expected...

Wouldn't have pegged this show to have a female draw.

Then again maybe all it takes is to have characters that are fun to be around to have that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ConanThe3rd posted:

Then again maybe all it takes is to have characters that are fun to be around to have that.
You don't even need that, as the existence of shows like Dramatical Murder demonstrates.

All you really need are ikemen, and apparently Bell qualifies.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Then again who can resist the charm of Ganesha?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

please do not offer my god a peanut

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know, a AMV skit where all of Geneshia's lines are Homer in the Elephant Head costume was something I wasn't aware I wanted but now I really want it.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

loli big-boobs lol

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The somersault escape was the best exit yet. I can just see it now: TRAIN TO ZONE and everyone gets on their hands and knees and rolls to the zone exit.

I just finished the book a few days ago, so I was a bit surprised at how compressed things were, but they did a good job overall. The whole thing with Loki and the Soma wine jar was completely different in the book, but the same idea gets across.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Autobots, roll out!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hestia's date outfit was waaaaay nicer than het weird cabaret bar outfit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bell has mastered his dodge roll skill.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Nope, pancake reference.

Lol

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Well this is a good use of the hestia.dance domain name

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Wonder how long it'll be up for this month. :v:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Went into hardcore reading mode this weekend and managed to finish up DanMachi vol 7 before going to bed last night. Nearly 500 pages long, and since it takes me 2-3 minutes per page, I feel I've accomplished a feat on par with Hercules.

The book is good, as usual, but it's probably the first time in the series that I'm left with a long list of criticism. Hopefully it's just a brief dip. Looking forward to the next volume in June, if I can just ship the damned thing here fast enough to avoid spoilers.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That scene where Bell is learning firebolt was well done and the aftermath was a riot!

Yoshitsugu Matsuoka is best when he has a range to work with that isn't stuck between Shonen protag and self same but moody as he is with Kirito.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

That scene where Bell is learning firebolt was well done and the aftermath was a riot!

I liked that bit the most in this episode. I was wondering is he was going to run out of mana after spamming that. I think the outcome makes perfect sense since the world isn't an MMO.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Valsu posted:

I liked that bit the most in this episode. I was wondering is he was going to run out of mana after spamming that. I think the outcome makes perfect sense since the world isn't an MMO.

I was meaning the sorta inner dialogue bit where he actually owns up to being childish about what he wants out of being an adventurer.

But him keeling over as a result of it was great too. One of the best reactions of the season and given Shougeki that's saying something.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I like that the evolution of ytmnd is just making your own drat website for this kinda stuff.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They kind of changed up that conversation Bell had with the swordsmen at the end in a weird way. There was a lot more emphasis on the "supporters are trash and we should just take their earnings" while the "dude do you even know you're being tricked?" bit was shranken down to some oddly phrased dialogue.

I feel like whenever they get to the end of an episode they just try to accelerate forward as much as they can, even if it means cutting out a ton of stuff. It's a weird choice.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

They kind of changed up that conversation Bell had with the swordsmen at the end in a weird way. There was a lot more emphasis on the "supporters are trash and we should just take their earnings" while the "dude do you even know you're being tricked?" bit was shranken down to some oddly phrased dialogue.

I feel like whenever they get to the end of an episode they just try to accelerate forward as much as they can, even if it means cutting out a ton of stuff. It's a weird choice.
I haven't read that part yet but if the dood is going into how Supporters are trash to start with Bell's probably not going to be interested in the second part.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well the thing is he was supposed to start with the second thing, and then segue into a rant on supporters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Well the thing is he was supposed to start with the second thing, and then segue into a rant on supporters.
I see. Eh, unless it starts getting to Sailor Moon Crystal levels of compression I can't see it being a massive issue.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:allears: Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Coz ur a gurl! :3:

So romantic.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

This last episode matches the end of the second book. I've already pre-ordered the next book (out in August), but it'll be fun to watch the remaining episodes without any pre-knowledge of what's going to happen.

There were a few instances in the book that I expected the anime to end an episode on. For example, when Bell stupidly ran his MP down to nothing and feinted in the dungeon. That would've been a perfect place to end an episode on a great cliff hanger. Instead, we get to see him saved and somersault out of the dungeon. The somersaults were worth it, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dan7el posted:

I've already pre-ordered the next book (out in August), but it'll be fun to watch the remaining episodes without any pre-knowledge of what's going to happen.

I'd rate the volumes 5 > 3 > 6 > 7 > 1 > 2 > 4, so you won't disappointed!

Bit unfortunate that the anime will spoil you on it, though.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lili you don't deserve Bell's kindness and generosity.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
The over-the-top harem moments are such a turn off to an otherwise endearing main character and world. Like, I'm pretty much a sucker for anything in a universe somewhat similar to that of The Slayers and a lot of the themes remind me ever so slightly of Ragnarok Online so I like it all already. I'd love to see Bell grow with some interesting supporting (hah) characters that aren't all after his 14 y/o body.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

Coz ur a gurl! :3:

So romantic.

I'm probably reading too much into things but I read that as him defaulting to a go-to answer rather than saying what he actually thought ie: He knew Lili did those things (with the forest incident confirming it) but understands (or could hazard a guess at least) why so he's not going to hold it against her. because he thought it would play better to someone who is in emotional distress.

An extension of the last episodes little "I am a shadow, the true self" bit. Showing Bell maturing whilst keeping a level of naivety. If you will.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Annointed posted:

Lili you don't deserve Bell's kindness and generosity.

On the other hand, I found her relatable considering some of my lovely actions when playing EVE.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Crusher posted:

I'd love to see Bell grow with some interesting supporting (hah) characters that aren't all after his 14 y/o body.

He's so unrealistically good hearted that everyone falling for him is the way more plausible part.

Somebody mentioned that they didn't think this show had much appeal to women, but I feel like every few episodes has a scene where Hestia has Bell's shirt pulled up and having an inner monologue about how he's so strong and developing so fast. I'm sorry, but that's red meat to the bishounen shipping crowd.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nope, pancake reference.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Any good gifs this week of Hestia's string ??

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand, I found her relatable considering some of my lovely actions when playing EVE.

Up to and including the triple crossing of your would be companions?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

He's so unrealistically good hearted that everyone falling for him is the way more plausible part.

Somebody mentioned that they didn't think this show had much appeal to women, but I feel like every few episodes has a scene where Hestia has Bell's shirt pulled up and having an inner monologue about how he's so strong and developing so fast. I'm sorry, but that's red meat to the bishounen shipping crowd.
Certainly was after the slapping she was giving it when she got frustrated over his passive.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Goons thinking shortstack refers to pancakes is my favorite part of this show

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Annointed posted:

Up to and including the triple crossing of your would be companions?

Have you ever played EVE? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Nope, pancake reference.

I still laugh a lot at this line.

• Locked thread