Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

V. Illych L. posted:

this is not true, there is a ton of creepy spanking

dont fet shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

V. Illych L. posted:

there's a lot of capital-p Problematic racial overtones in his work which i think it more knockable tbh, even if it is more complicated than sometimes assumed. tolkien's characters aren't really supposed to be, uh, characters as such, they're supposed to be standins for some epic (in the sense of 'telling/informative') archetype or other

so Sam is Heroic Humility, Boromir is Proud Warrior, Théoden is Corrupted Warrior King, Beren is The Best of Man, Eowyn is The Rebellious Woman etc.

i have to wonder how intentional they are, because while he says that the numenoreans invented their racial hierarchy, he does so and then implicitly says they got it wrong. also the noldor are huge racist assholes, and that seems almost deliberate

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
math

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'd love to stop vomiting thank you body

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

euphronius posted:

Prob the CD thread but they are taking it well.

why the hell wouldnt they? JJ seems to have completely tapped the star wars vein visually while not being afraid to run with alterations to iconic imagery. His is absolutely nailing the "this universe is huge and lived in and all the technology probably has a purpose but look how cool it is" vibe.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Effectronica posted:

i have to wonder how intentional they are, because while he says that the numenoreans invented their racial hierarchy, he does so and then implicitly says they got it wrong. also the noldor are huge racist assholes, and that seems almost deliberate

The Noldor are most definitely intentionally giant assholes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Feanor did nothing wrong.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'd love to stop vomiting thank you body

no

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Effectronica posted:

i have to wonder how intentional they are, because while he says that the numenoreans invented their racial hierarchy, he does so and then implicitly says they got it wrong. also the noldor are huge assholes, and that seems almost deliberate

they're still Problematic, though, and it's something one really does have to confront as a tolkien fan if one doesn't want to be an enormous dweeb imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Im fine with racism critiques of Tolkien because it angries up the blood of nerds, and I am a vampire for that

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Conference calls and hotelier office space are the results of Satan binge consuming Chipotle, 7/11, and beer, waking up hungover drinking black coffee and shotguning it straight to the bathroom.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
old stuff is racist who knew!?!?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

V. Illych L. posted:

they're still Problematic, though, and it's something one really does have to confront as a tolkien fan if one doesn't want to be an enormous dweeb imo

yeah, i just think it's fascinating how you have this underlying narrative about the idea that racism is an invention, and then actual racism mixed in with it

and so on with sexism and classism to lesser extents

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I wish death on whoever gave me a stomach bug

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I mean seriously, this is the least visually striking of the 4 shots but check out what JJ is doing here. He takes the most iconic ship of the "heroes" of the republic and gives it a complete retro makeover, going with the original 70's concept art for the thing. Look at that panel on the dudes chest, thing looks like the cutting edge of 1969.

The entire prequel trilogy Lucas was rubbing shiny rear end chromed dicks in everyone's face, JJ is turning around and making the universe a massive garrage sale of worn down and broken awesomeness. I dig the character of it so much.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Effectronica posted:

yeah, i just think it's fascinating how you have this underlying narrative about the idea that racism is an invention, and then actual racism mixed in with it

and so on with sexism and classism to lesser extents

i think Tolkien is actually remarkably anti-sexist within the confines of his genre

i cannot think of a single weak female character in his works - even Rosie Cotton has a certain bumpkin independence to her. the only issue on this is that he could probably have increased the degree to which they were represented, but that's also complicated by what he was trying to do, which was writing the mythology of this fictional world, mythologies and epic poetry related to it being inherently male-focussed as a historical genre

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Please do not bad mouth the prequels in this thread.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

missing_the_point.jpg

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i think Tolkien is actually remarkably anti-sexist within the confines of his genre

i cannot think of a single weak female character in his works - even Rosie Cotton has a certain bumpkin independence to her. the only issue on this is that he could probably have increased the degree to which they were represented, but that's also complicated by what he was trying to do, which was writing the mythology of this fictional world, mythologies and epic poetry related to it being inherently male-focussed as a historical genre

LOTR is 'good for women' in the same way Viking culture was really.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

Haley Joel Osmond was awful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

I've never even seen the third one :shrug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Too costly to change Amerixa's minds on abortion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also Red Letter Media has ruined film criticism on the internet

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Also Red Letter Media has ruined film criticism on the internet

Venom Snake posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

what's with vs's protofascist new av

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

LOTR is 'good for women' in the same way Viking culture was really.

yeah, but i think it's telling that it remains a lot more anti-sexist than almost all the fantasy that came after it, even including contemporary stuff like Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

V. Illych L. posted:

this is not true, there is a ton of creepy spanking

fair. also braid pulling. somebody oughta consolidate all of the braid pulling from wheel of time to see how many pages it comes out to

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah, but i think it's telling that it remains a lot more anti-sexist than almost all the fantasy that came after it, even including contemporary stuff like Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire

yeah

tolkein was actively trying to avoid a lot of trad christian cultural baggage in a way nobody else tries to, presumably because he was an ASNAC scholar.

Though obviously it's still in there.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

V. Illych L. posted:

name one woman in lotr trusted with the power of a ring

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

galadriel

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

V. Illych L. posted:

pretty much, his poo poo is pretty racially hamfisted but its just insensitive and about what i expect from a middle aged white man in the 1930s. i do not buy the dwarf = jew poo poo though.

its really dumb how he made all of the evil men darker skinned, even if his rationale of "its like the real world where people south of europe are darker skinned" is logical, he invented the whole world, you could have mixed it up son.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

and almost everyone with a ring is an enormous tool

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

uh lol

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

She was an elf.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Disinterested posted:

and almost everyone with a ring is an enormous tool

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

My Imaginary GF posted:

uh is this just you not knowing things again or are you trying to make a point here

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

She was an elf.

not only, but also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

euphronius posted:

all I sad was that they were full of chrome dicks.

and they were.

like a billion chrome dicks

• Locked thread