Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Disinterested posted:

what's with vs's protofascist new av

Masons are revolutionaries trying to destroy filthy agatha royalist scum, perfect for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Disinterested posted:

not only, but also

Where does the wo-man part fit into being an elf?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

WoodrowSkillson posted:

pretty much, his poo poo is pretty racially hamfisted but its just insensitive and about what i expect from a middle aged white man in the 1930s. i do not buy the dwarf = jew poo poo though.

its really dumb how he made all of the evil men darker skinned, even if his rationale of "its like the real world where people south of europe are darker skinned" is logical, he invented the whole world, you could have mixed it up son.

how can you not buy the dwarf=jew thing, proud race of short bearded warriors who love gold and despite their wealth are dwindling in numbers and far from their former glory is totally the jews

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Venom Snake posted:

Masons are revolutionaries trying to destroy filthy agatha royalist scum, perfect for this thread.

I'm considering this for an av for myself.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorrdErnie posted:

how can you not buy the dwarf=jew thing, proud race of short bearded warriors who love gold and despite their wealth are dwindling in numbers and far from their former glory is totally the jews

he literally outside said the dwarves were supposed to be jews to lol

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Disinterested posted:

I'm considering this for an av for myself.

i hate to break it to you but thats too big for the size limit

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

Where does the wo-man part fit into being an elf?

it's not like they don't have gender

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LorrdErnie posted:

Tolkien posted:

I must say the enclosed letter from Rütten & Loening is a bit stiff. Do I suffer this impertinence because of the possession of a German name, or do their lunatic laws require a certificate of arisch origin from all persons of all countries?

Personally, I should be inclined to refuse to give any Bestätigung (although it happens that I can), and let a German translation go hang. In any case I should object strongly to any such declaration appearing in print. I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends, and should regret giving any colour to the notion that I subscribed to the wholly pernicious and unscientific race-doctrine.

You are primarily concerned, and I cannot jeopardize the chance of a German publication without your approval. So I submit two drafts of possible answers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Their language is based on hebrew . Their other features are based on nordic dwarves.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

who? what did she use the power of the ring to accomplish?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

like lucas looked at the storyboard and then his art designers and shook his head sagely, then pulled out a chrome dipped hitachi magic wand and beat the story board with it until there was a hole in the wall, that was the visual design of the prequels.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Disinterested posted:

it's not like they don't have gender

Yeah but the question was "what woman". If they said female or she-elf it'd be ok.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

she used her ring to build her magical tree kingdom

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
elves are scum

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

you are an idiot troll but she held back Sauron for hundreds of years and kept Loth Lorien in a state of magical glory.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

WoodrowSkillson posted:

pretty much, his poo poo is pretty racially hamfisted but its just insensitive and about what i expect from a middle aged white man in the 1930s. i do not buy the dwarf = jew poo poo though.

its really dumb how he made all of the evil men darker skinned, even if his rationale of "its like the real world where people south of europe are darker skinned" is logical, he invented the whole world, you could have mixed it up son.

it's more complicated than that, 'cos he was to an extent aware of this and tried to sort of apologise for it through sam's whole "this harad dude is just a dude whom i know nothing about and who happened to be allied with Mordor" thing, and also the whole "confines of the genre" business - fantastic mythology is inherently ethnocentric.

it's still Problematic, though, and he could certainly have done more to clearly problematise that stuff

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah but the question was "what woman". If they said female or she-elf it'd be ok.

lol I'm not sure the species is relevant to the gender politics at issue but thanks for nerding hard

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

build an entire kingdom and literally rip an entire fortress apart to its foundations

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

so? its not a negative portrayal overall really

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Disinterested posted:

lol I'm not sure the species is relevant to the gender politics at issue but thanks for nerding hard

I'm bored.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saw Avengers 2 this weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it, as I am not a hair splitting cinema discusso piece of poo poo Whedon hating gently caress wad motherfucker

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
seriously tho elves are scum

"bye humans have fun dealing with all the worlds problems, peace"

gently caress YOU ELVES

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WoodrowSkillson posted:

build an entire kingdom and literally rip an entire fortress apart to its foundations

Is this from the new movies or is this lore stuff?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Disinterested posted:

she used her ring to build her magical tree kingdom

uh huh. so women are ok to have power, so long as they go off and play in the woods. not problematic at all, nope

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Venom Snake posted:

seriously tho elves are scum

"bye humans have fun dealing with all the worlds problems, peace"

gently caress YOU ELVES

Elves = Baby boomers

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

uh huh. so women are ok to have power, so long as they go off and play in the woods. not problematic at all, nope

"If during her time send her into the woods as she is unclean..."-somewhere in the Bible.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

she was probably the least retarded of the powerful people in middle earth but it's kind of a tough call because they're all legit egocentric morons

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

it's more complicated than that, 'cos he was to an extent aware of this and tried to sort of apologise for it through sam's whole "this harad dude is just a dude whom i know nothing about and who happened to be allied with Mordor" thing, and also the whole "confines of the genre" business - fantastic mythology is inherently ethnocentric.

it's still Problematic, though, and he could certainly have done more to clearly problematise that stuff

yeah he was aware of it but instead of changing it he just does that part but its like dude come on you are smarter then this. i do not ascribe malice to it though, which goes a long way for being able to still enjoy everything

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

like lucas looked at the storyboard and then his art designers and shook his head sagely, then pulled out a chrome dipped hitachi magic wand and beat the story board with it until there was a hole in the wall, that was the visual design of the prequels.

you have Lucas derangement syndrome.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the harsher of these letters is an amazing denounciation of ethnic chauvinism in the form it generally took in his day, complete with 'ancient Oxford philologist' language and it owns

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i do not buy the dwarf = jew poo poo though.

tolkien posted:

""The dwarves of course are quite obviously - wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic.""

so there's that

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

you have Lucas derangement syndrome.

well lucas sure was loving deranged when he decided Jar Jar was a good idea.

like the dude literally said "oh, oh gently caress I went to far in a lot of places" when he was done making the phantom menace because even he knew it was garbo.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is this from the new movies or is this lore stuff?

all original, its in the appendices of LOTR. She destroys Dol Guldur herself. This is where Tolkien does not portray women well in that he ascribes them agency and poo poo but then does not include them in the main storyline and instead gives us a hundred pages of the hobbits being morons in the start of the book.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CoolCab posted:

so there's that

well i think its pretty clear who the germans in lotr are

they're the folks responsible for the disappearance of the dwarves

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The definition of Problematic.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

all original, its in the appendices of LOTR. She destroys Dol Guldur herself. This is where Tolkien does not portray women well in that he ascribes them agency and poo poo but then does not include them in the main storyline and instead gives us a hundred pages of the hobbits being morons in the start of the book.

oh wow, an appendix entrance without any involvement in the real narrative. sure tells you the place where tolkein thought women belonged.

nope, not problematic at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Eowyn is a direct consequence of him realising this and going "oh poo poo, that's right better try to do this well" and she is probably the best character in that whole trilogy, so there's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

oh wow, an appendix entrance without any involvement in the real narrative. sure tells you the place where tolkein thought women belonged.

nope, not problematic at all.

lol u dumb son

• Locked thread