Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

What happens may 10f?
We get out of leaked episode territory, I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

The Crotch posted:

I broke out laughing when that one lady whipped the barrel off the captain's head. What the poo poo?

The sand snakes scene is the most offensive scene in Game of Thrones

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lloyd Boner posted:

if you think that's bad and stereotypical "arabian princess" aladdin bullshit you should read how dany's original sex scenes with khal drogo went

it's simultaneously unbelievably misogynist, glorifies rape, and real racist, while awkwardly attempting to be loving because this is the start of her whole love affair with the dothraki (remember them? the now-absolutely-useless race of people she led that the whole first two seasons were built around protecting?) and with drogo in particular and it's just

it's just the worst thing

at least the show had the good sense to portray rape as well, you know, rape

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I meant the acting

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lloyd Boner posted:

DB Weis: Are you with me Benioff?
Benioff picks up A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin and throws it in the trash
Benioff: I made my choice long ago

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lloyd Boner posted:

I meant the acting

eh without giving too much away it's able to communicate the central themes of those characters in a way that makes an immediate impression

it wasn't great but it's hard to make stuff like that land, since it introduced three characters and painted them as broadly as possible since well, they'll be more important coming down the line and followed the typical dialog format of people speaking one-liners at each other until someone buttons the scene with an allegorical story that applies to the situation, it's a bread-and-butter GoT scene that was hampered because you don't have any idea of who three of the four people in the scene are

honestly that's a writing failure over and acting failure

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Haha that scene with the scorpion guy was ridiculous. Good lord. I'm with Wizard Master on this one.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

I meant the acting

I'll tell you the truth I skipped that scene completely. I didn't care who these mad ladies going after Lannisters was and I didn't care to know. Their leader sounded like Joffrey but older and somehow more whiny. I guess they're supposed to be "hot-headed" but all I got from them were "angry and violent for no reason"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The SituAsian posted:

Dad of the year Stannis :unsmith:

That scene in conjunction with Melisandre saying,"Your daughter has the blood of a King" while staring significantly at crazy Mrs. The Mannis has me increasingly worried for that little girl.

Uncle Davos better be around to put paid to any of that bullshit.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
They're angry at the Lannisters because the Lannisters were trying to kill a Lannister and their father volunteered to (maybe) die instead.

Yeah not super great motivation.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

Four seasons in and people liking Stannis still baffles me. So moral, so just, so willing to break his marriage vow to murder his brother with dark magic he doesn't understand. And then start burning people for not betraying their beliefs.

In all fairness, if you're trying to defend your claim to a kingdom and your brother betrays you and tries to take it for himself, you kind of have to kill him.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

All I ever get from Stannis is "I really really want to be king and I am pretty adamant about that." I'm not sure why people give him the time of day aside from his name, he is neither clever nor overly competent or able to inspire his men. He's mediocre at best.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

evilmiera posted:

All I ever get from Stannis is "I really really want to be king and I am pretty adamant about that." I'm not sure why people give him the time of day aside from his name, he is neither clever nor overly competent or able to inspire his men. He's mediocre at best.

He's an emotionally-stunted nerd who approaches life like a rules lawyer and somehow managed to land a hot girlfriend. He's the alpha goon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still enjoying how hard Jon Snow is trying to escape the rest of the plot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stannis is a cool dude and until he does something stupid I'll continue to be in team Stannis. Dude led the charge in Blackwater Bay. Also has a cool right hand guy.

Don't really care about the fire lady.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm still enjoying how hard Jon Snow is trying to escape the rest of the plot.

"I'm trying to save the world dammit, can you please just let me get on with that?"

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

evilmiera posted:

Only the third thing is a fair criticism. He isnt clever to the level of Varys or Littlefinger but knows what he knows and defers to others when he doesn't. And he's extremely competent but he couldn't motivate a dog to eat steak.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Team Stannis just gets better and better. I want whoever comes up victorious in the Sansa/Bolton thing to bend the knee to Stannis.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

evilmiera posted:

He is all those things, though. He's well-known as a successful military commander, his foes respect him (Tyrion, Mance), and he has a fair number of loyal followers. If he were mediocre at best, he'd have already died.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I wouldn't mind if he managed to force the story to pay a bit more attention to the white walkers and reveal wtf their deal is.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 4, 2015

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Lloyd Boner posted:

In my head canon that scene ends with Jorah coming ashore and stoically punching their accents

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I love how Tommen looks similar to Joffrey, but has almost the opposite personality. Margery just seems to be realizing that Tommen is a sweet kid who dislikes confrontation and violence.

Given that her husband is unwilling to use any of his authority, her father just got sent out of the city with a shifty looking guard, and her brother has been imprisoned, does Margery have any allies in King's Landing?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Zotix posted:

Interesting that Meryn is going to Bravos. Which just so happens to be where Arya is at, and is being trained.

Most likely Father Tyrell is a goner and me theory above isn't going to pan out.

Cersei is a complete loving idiot to be pissing off the Tyrells right?

I can't wait to see Olenna's reaction to all this

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Cute n Popular posted:

You would think Loras and his sparring buddies in full armor could take out a couple of mooks in robes.

I love this show but it's full of crap like that.

Remember shirtless Ramsay and the ironborn?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pedro De Heredia posted:

He is all those things, though. He's well-known as a successful military commander, his foes respect him (Tyrion, Mance), and he has a fair number of loyal followers. If he were mediocre at best, he'd have already died.

I guess I'm not seeing it. I mean yes, he's sort of succesful (aside from the complete screwup in invading King's Landing, which wasn't his fault) but beyond routing the wildlings with a lucky flanking I can't off the top of my head remember when he did anything much smarter than most of the other commanders in the series. He's got a fair number of loyal followers but it all seems to come from burning people alive or respect he got from before he started doing that, from people who ought to know better. He's got a lot of competent helpers but I can't figure out why those helpers are loyal to him, beyond Melisandra or however she's spelled.

And she's sort of the elephant in the room when it comes to why I can't see why people respect him. To the common man she is either insane or just so coldly calculating you'd want to get away from her and whoever she was working for as fast as you could. Her activities and the way she acts towards people who know Stannis ought to inspire disloyalty, not the other way around. In fact, news of what she's doing should inspire the other kingdoms to ally against him, much like the Boltons flaying activities.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I like how the faction that's three badly accented women operating out of half a tent on a beach somewhere just happens to have a bucket-o-scorpions on hand with which to torture somebody that just switched sides to them and ratted out their enemy. Priorities!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

fullroundaction posted:

They're angry at the Lannisters because the Lannisters were trying to kill a Lannister and their father volunteered to (maybe) die instead.

Yeah not super great motivation.
They were raised by or loved a hotheaded guy who hated the Lannisters with every fiber of his being who wound up being killed by the Lannisters. Their motivation isn't really in question, which made that WHEN I WAS A CHILD speech even stupider.

I was hoping the Sand Snakes would be this season's Oberyn but yeah....

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

evilmiera posted:

He's got a fair number of loyal followers but it all seems to come from burning people alive or respect he got from before he started doing that, from people who ought to know better. He's got a lot of competent helpers but I can't figure out why those helpers are loyal to him, beyond Melisandra or however she's spelled.

They talk about it in the show but in the war to overthrow the mad king, Stannis held a beseiged Storms End for over a year and everyone inside almost starved to death. Stannis is a somewhat large part of why Robert won the throne because he tied up Storms End and therefore prevented the forces there from reinforcing the main army. He prevented any mutiny which would require a lot of loyalty and competence as a commander.

Davos smuggled onions and other foods that allowed the city to survive and Stannis knighted him even though he was a commoner so that's why he's loyal to him.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 4, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Brony Hunter posted:

Team Stannis just gets better and better. I want whoever comes up victorious in the Sansa/Bolton thing to bend the knee to Stannis.

Seriously. I find myself rooting for him much more now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What I don't get is why Margery isn't more active in this poo poo. She's queen now! Doesn't that have more pull than whatever Cercei is now? Why does she have to go to the King?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Seriously. I find myself rooting for him much more now.

No doubt Tomlin should just abdicate to him, have him kill all the septigon heads and spend his life in bed with hot rich wife as lord of empty gold mine living on not murdered king pension like the retired pope.

Also I am going to cry when Bronn gets dead cause this show always kills my favorite within 2 weeks. Oh yeah and nice lie you two idiots really washed up on shore with 100lbs of weapons and didn't sink to the bottom or anything like that.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 4, 2015

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

evilmiera posted:

I guess I'm not seeing it. I mean yes, he's sort of succesful (aside from the complete screwup in invading King's Landing, which wasn't his fault) but beyond routing the wildlings with a lucky flanking I can't off the top of my head remember when he did anything much smarter than most of the other commanders in the series. He's got a fair number of loyal followers but it all seems to come from burning people alive or respect he got from before he started doing that, from people who ought to know better. He's got a lot of competent helpers but I can't figure out why those helpers are loyal to him, beyond Melisandra or however she's spelled.

And she's sort of the elephant in the room when it comes to why I can't see why people respect him. To the common man she is either insane or just so coldly calculating you'd want to get away from her and whoever she was working for as fast as you could. Her activities and the way she acts towards people who know Stannis ought to inspire disloyalty, not the other way around. In fact, news of what she's doing should inspire the other kingdoms to ally against him, much like the Boltons flaying activities.

He's a successful military commander before the show. It's mentioned once or twice. Plus you see that he's actually willing to lead the front lines (which is kind of ridiculous, but it gets the point across).

People are loyal to Stannis partly because of Melisandre, since they are converts to that religion (like Davos' son). On the other hand, Stannis has some leadership qualities which make other people (Davos, Mance, Jon) respect him. He's by no means perfect, or even a good guy, but that's ok, he's not the main character. I don't think you're supposed to be rooting for him or anything, but he's a guy who's much more likely to kill a bunch of "villains" than kill the Starks.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 4, 2015

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

wyoak posted:

They were raised by or loved a hotheaded guy who hated the Lannisters with every fiber of his being who wound up being killed by the Lannisters. Their motivation isn't really in question, which made that WHEN I WAS A CHILD speech even stupider.

I was hoping the Sand Snakes would be this season's Oberyn but yeah....

Yeah I don't disagree, but once again their father wasn't even killed by a Lannister so I don't know how satisfying (as a viewer) their revenge would be. Or if I'd even be on their side for that matter. Even their uncle isn't.

It is nice to have issues that are not black/white in a fantasy setting though so I can't complain too much.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Stan's wife: "That kid is a bastard"

Stannis: "OR IS HE"

*cut to exposition on the sexual partners of Ned's sister*

Jon's biological father is either Robert or Rhaegar, they have made that pretty obvious. In either scenario he's got a pretty good claim to the iron throne.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

pasaluki posted:

They talk about it in the show but in the war to overthrow the mad king, Stannis held a beseiged Storms End for over a year and everyone inside almost starved to death. Stannis is a somewhat large part of why Robert won the throne because he tied up Storms End and therefore prevented the forces there from reinforcing the main army. He prevented any mutiny which would require a lot of loyalty and competence as a commander.

Davos smuggled onions and other foods that allowed the city to survive and Stannis knighted him even though he was a commoner so that's why he's loyal to him.

He was also an important leader in the Greyjoy Rebellion(the one where Theon was taken hostage).

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah I don't disagree, but once again their father wasn't even killed by a Lannister so I don't know how satisfying (as a viewer) their revenge would be. Or if I'd even be on their side for that matter. Even their uncle isn't.

It is nice to have issues that are not black/white in a fantasy setting though so I can't complain too much.

as a racist I'd prefer if the only characters on the show were black/white

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Add me to the rooting for Stannis crowd. Maybe its the actor but I love the subtle hints of conflicting emotions he has between what is law, what the Lord of Light says and what he really wants. Great example of this is the hesitation he has to reciprocate the hug Shireen gives him at their end of their scene after explaining to her he did everything he could to keep her alive when most others would of let her die.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

evilmiera posted:

What about the fact that he cared enough to go and save the Wall at all? He's the only king thus far in the show that has given a poo poo about the Wall. He also put himself in the front lines leading the charge on Blackwater. Those two things are examples why he inspires some people like Davos to follow him. A third is that he listens to council. He lets Davos tell him that he's doing the wrong thing in Season 2 and he decides that he had a point. He listened to what Jon had to say about taking Mance prisoner when he wouldn't bend the knee and he takes his advice. How can you not like Stannis even after he wanted to raise Jon to be the Lord of Winterfell?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Quabzor posted:

The only thing that really hinges on Prince Oberyon death is the Zombie Mountain and Myrcella in Dorne.
Tyrion still absolutely could have gone on a murderous rampage and be steered toward Dany had there been a normal trial.
"Could. Have." More hand-waving.
It was a normal trial, and it happened in the show; so attributing just this but not that to the trial by combat is without point and denies the plot of the series. But whatever, hand-wave all you like.

whatever7 posted:

Come on now she didn't kill her brother.
Nor did she kill Drogo. He was already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

ironlung posted:

Stan's wife: "That kid is a bastard"

Stannis: "OR IS HE"

*cut to exposition on the sexual partners of Ned's sister*

Jon's biological father is either Robert or Rhaegar, they have made that pretty obvious. In either scenario he's got a pretty good claim to the iron throne.

He's grown on me in the past two seasons but loving lol if this series ends up being about the rise of King Jon Snow

• Locked thread