Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah the dwarves of Tolkien were clearly created with the germanic dwarves of myth in mind. Tolkien then sees the similarities with his contemporary society's view of jews, likes it and runs with it, including the language and as cultural shorthand

most of the :dogbutton: stuff re: the dwarves is very present in the dwarves as presented in the edda - love of gold, love of craft, insular natures etc

66 BC: an Aristo becomes king in Judea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I didn't realize Larry Kasdan was writing all three sequels

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

My Imaginary GF posted:

jewish existance predates the diaspora as well, dickwad

lol if you really think that germanic pre-christian dwarf myths have anything to do with judaism

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LorrdErnie posted:

wait how the heck did i forget about the loving SAND PEOPLE when talking about Lucas racism

I dunno if it'd be as blatant as the space asians though.

Like generic desert nomad are kinda vanilla.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

My Imaginary GF posted:

jewish existance predates the diaspora as well, dickwad

wait are you claiming germanic tribes of scandinavia invented stories about dwarves based on the jews of the eastern mediterranean

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

WoodrowSkillson posted:

wait are you claiming germanic tribes of scandinavia invented stories about dwarves based on the jews of the eastern mediterranean

not only that, he's claiming they made these stories based on the jews which makes no sense at all given the culture of said jews at the time

i'm p. sure he's being insincere, though, that's stretching it even for migf

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Gravel Gravy posted:

I dunno if it'd be as blatant as the space asians though.

Like generic desert nomad are kinda vanilla.

anakin literally slaughters an entire village of them and then padme is all like

:ohdear: : y u sad? :( :( :( :( :(

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Disinterested posted:

lol if you really think that germanic pre-christian dwarf myths have anything to do with judaism

lol if you think germania wasn't romanized with scattered settlers living there from elsewhere in the empire

"ja hans, i saws deese shorts men with beards up on zat hill, mining for golds. zey are dwarves, ja."

how you think christianity spread like hotcakes? by gobbling up the jewish settlers throughout the empire

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LorrdErnie posted:

anakin literally slaughters an entire village of them and then padme is all like

At least he didn't hit any of them with his car.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

My Imaginary GF posted:

lol if you think germania wasn't romanized with scattered settlers living there from elsewhere in the empire

"ja hans, i saws deese shorts men with beards up on zat hill, mining for golds. zey are dwarves, ja."

how you think christianity spread like hotcakes? by gobbling up the jewish settlers throughout the empire

hahhahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i genuinely like how consistently and amazingly ignorant migf is about everything it is great even if it is just a gimmick

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

LorrdErnie posted:

the OT is pretty non offensive, sand people is ehhh but they are people that live in the wilderness on a desert planet so whatever, could have had more PoC but it was the 70's/early 80s so its not surprising.

the prequels went straight into racismtown and built a home and raised 3 kids and a dog

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

welcum 2 archetypal theory

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

lol this post is so bad

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

but funny

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

i want to frame this because even though i know how much you troll, there is a minute chance you really might be this stupid and this makes me laugh heartily

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i will remind the thread that one time migf claimed that a painting, which was at some point in history shrunk by cutting off one side, was a secret soceity removing a fallen member. when i brought up the history of the painting included needing to be moved into a smaller room, he said wikipedia was full of autistic people.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i want to frame this because even though i know how much you troll, there is a minute chance you really might be this stupid and this makes me laugh heartily

migf brings hope into our lives

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CoolCab posted:

i will remind the thread that one time migf claimed that a painting, which was at some point in history shrunk by cutting off one side, was a secret soceity removing a fallen member. when i brought up the history of the painting included needing to be moved into a smaller room, he said wikipedia was full of autistic people.

Well in this sense unemployed people with aut degrees.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CoolCab posted:

why did the painting "need to be removed to a smaller room"

like jesus loving christ study some art history to understand how to read a loving rembrandt you uncultured gently caress.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

like jesus loving christ study some art history to understand how to read a loving rembrandt you uncultured gently caress.

you're forcing it

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Disinterested posted:

Faramir and Eowyn are the characters whose story arcs are easiest to relate to and which make the most sense. Also a romance that isn't incredibly dull like Aragorn's.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the OT is pretty non offensive, sand people is ehhh but they are people that live in the wilderness on a desert planet so whatever, could have had more PoC but it was the 70's/early 80s so its not surprising.

the prequels went straight into racismtown and built a home and raised 3 kids and a dog

eh... they're pretty clearly supposed to be arabs and evoking crusader raids on christian settlements

also they're depicted as totally savage, unable to be communicated with in any way, and fiercely territorial

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the Rembrandt house was a really cool museum to visit

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

My Imaginary GF posted:

i am definitely an uncultured gently caress, it's true.

hi migf, how are you doin man. bank holiday weekends extend coolcab time a bit

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

also the jawas are 100% gypsies

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CoolCab posted:

i am definitely an uncultured gently caress, it's true.

hi migf, how are you doin man. bank holiday weekends extend coolcab time a bit

learn some loving art history

watch a loving pbs special about rembrandt the dutch master and learn all about the hidden language of the night's watch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LorrdErnie posted:

eh... they're pretty clearly supposed to be arabs and evoking crusader raids on christian settlements

also they're depicted as totally savage, unable to be communicated with in any way, and fiercely territorial

also IMHO a clear reference to Fremen, or at least the Great Houses view of Fremen pre Paul Atriedes.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

also the jawas are 100% gypsies
explain it to me like i'm stupid, because i get all the others but not this one

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

LorrdErnie posted:

outside of wearing robes in a movie where everyone wears robes, what about them is arabic? they are only in it for like 10 minutes are "bad guys live in the desert, we call them sand people, they are aliens and go RAAAARRRGHH"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

they're actually depictions of arabs on-screen

one of the cases where arabs aren't villans in movies

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I hate vomiting

Reading contracts while vomiting is the WORST

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

what about them is arabic? they are only in it for like 10 minutes are "bad guys live in the desert, we call them sand people, they are aliens and go RAAAARRRGHH"

yeah i think that about sums up the case for ya

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

nutranurse, i now know your pain. i got my hair cut and i gave them instructions and the guy sort of went 'uh huh' and did something completely different. too short. i don't look like a lesbian though, luckily.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

nutranurse, i now know your pain. i got my hair cut and i gave them instructions and the guy sort of went 'uh huh' and did something completely different. too short. i don't look like a lesbian though, luckily.

Then why am i so attracted to you

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

R. Mute posted:

please don't lesbo haircut shame

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

i meant the irish ones

irish gypsies are sometimes called tinkers and have a reputation for salvaging random poo poo noone wants (and stealing peoples poo poo) and then reselling it the next town over

i dunno that one may be a bit more of a stretch

WoodrowSkillson posted:

outside of wearing robes in a movie where everyone wears robes, what about them is arabic? they are only in it for like 10 minutes are "bad guys live in the desert, we call them sand people, they are aliens and go RAAAARRRGHH"

eh that's fair i just tend to read primitive desert tribes attacking the civilized white people as european stereotypes about arabs

also they use those melee weapon things that aren't even cool laser swords and the classic depiction of arab warrior always includes the scimitar

and their only role in the story other than attacking settlements is to attack a couple of knights in the desert

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i miss arctrusreeses and her bad posting

Berke Negri