Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Unban Shim. He's legitimately interesting to have around.

Shim's an rear end in a top hat, but he's OUR rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Arishtat posted:

Shim's an rear end in a top hat, but he's OUR rear end in a top hat.

Exactly, what am I supposed to do without my rear end in a top hat????

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
you just know n4i has a waiting message to close this thread again "because I said so".

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Exactly, what am I supposed to do without my rear end in a top hat????

OUR rear end in a top hat

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
If they close the drunk thread I formally invite eveyone to make the cop lounge the new drunk thread. It sort of is already anyway.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:tipshat:

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 4, 2015

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just because he called you a fag?
Everyone gets called fag around here.
That's what makes GiP special.
For fucks sake man, grow some thick skin.
Unfortunately I don't see that happening.
Even if when we ask nicely you still don't leave.
Let's not split hairs: We want Shim Unbanned.
C'mon, Ralp you are better than this.
Are any of our requests being entertained?
Nope.
That's not surprising though.
Me though? I'm surprised a little bit.
Everytime you pour jet fuel on Shim you'll learn.
Let me explain all this a bit less formally:
This is truly simple I promise.
lovely rules about sass are for pussies.
Hitler did nothing wrong.
I'm dead serious.
Meh.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:tipshat:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
you guys really think you're gonna get ralp to change his mind don't you

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Nah, just felt like saying my peace

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Mr. Ralp,

Regards,

Booblord

:golfclap:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:munch:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You guys. Look at this fat dogge.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I just want to watch it all burn down.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

You guys. Look at this fat dogge.

Wanted to be a doggerator but had dogge asthma.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cole posted:

you guys really think you're gonna get ralp to change his mind don't you

Drama for the sake of drama is pretty loving stupid.

Shim's been on thin ice for awhile for his thinly-veiled racist screeds. I've taken a fairly laissez faire (:ironicat:) stance on the issue but at the end of the day I'm just middle management. When he (or any GiP regular) takes the show on the road and gets hit for it that's out of my hands. I can't (and won't) tell other moderators how to handle their forums. On a similar note admins can and will come in and take action on posts and considering Ralp's known for being a hardass on the modsass, I view this as an instance of poking a rattlesnake with a stick and getting pissed and indignant when it bites you.

I like GiP. I appreciate the community that we have; it's refreshing to have a group of veterans who aren't nostalgically moto and constantly trying to one up each other with stories about the good old days. Every (ok, almost every) action I take as a moderator is in pursuit of fostering that sense of community.

I would prefer that we move forward at this point.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Then immediately following it defines harassment and specifically states that insults and flames are not harassment.

Edit: it even defines what constitutes annoying. None of which are just your personal feelings.

He wasn't banned for harassment. The rule is Respect the Mods and Writers. Like I mentioned earlier, in actual practice I don't even care if you do that much: You don't have to respect the mods and admins to post on this website, but you at least have to pretend to.

tumblr.txt posted:

Respectfully, has Lowtax said this in a public area? Because no-one has seen the 'tax around these parts for some time and you may be pulling a Weekend At Bernie's.
Sure, this is from about a year ago:

Lowtax posted:

Well I haven't keeping up with the Ralp drama, so I really can't comment on that so well. But the rule regarding mod and admin sass has been here since the birth of the forums and will stay in place. That's not going to change, because I feel it's a rule that helps the overall health of the forums.

Now plenty of people here will undoubtedly disagree with me and will be upset that I have a different viewpoint and won't change the forum rules for them. This isn't "complete dismissal or nothing," it's a difference of opinion. That rule has been ingrained in SA since its creation, so I'm really not going to debate it.

But as you can tell by all the anti-Ralp posts and threads, there are plenty of people expressing their discontent with him who obviously have not be banned. This is because they've been able to do it without sass and have communicated their opinions without being utter dicks. I'll talk to Ralp and Garbageday and start trying to read through those threads in their entirety to see what's going on and what, if anything, needs to be changed.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Now if I went up to any of those men when they're just doing what I've paid them for and called them a human being, rear end in a top hat, limp-dick, pussy-rear end-bitch, cocksucker or any of the insults that I'm sure you've had thrown your way, I would rightly be denied service at any of their businesses because I would be an rear end in a top hat for doing so. But if they were to come in and try to enforce any of their own limp-wristed poo poo in my house while I'm talking to my friends, after I had paid them while doing a piss-poor job in what I had paid them to do, then I would assume we would have words about that.

We've built a very nice community here,
This is a respectful and reasonable post so I want to make it clear by editing it down in the quote I am not ignoring or dismissing the rest of it. The parts I have quoted are important though.

I am glad you like this forum and the posters in it, but Goons in Platoons is not an independent thing. You're not "in your house", GiP is part of SA, you're posting on the Something Awful Forums, you are a goon! The admins of the forums are admins of this forum. The role of GiP or any other forum must be defined in the context of its place in the whole SA posting ecosystem.

It's no secret that a lot of GiP posters like to pretend otherwise, and to a large extent I understand the reaction to the ban if I imagine it through that lens, but it's a misapprehension. If I were posting on reddit about SA mods being big dumb jerks and N4I found some way to ban me there for breaking rules that only apply to SA, I would be upset too. That's not what happened here though, someone was banned from the SA forums for breaking the SA forum rules on the SA forums.

Grem posted:

The reason you can't post nws in gbs is because people get fired for browsing at work (time thieves who cares). The reason for not being able to insult mods is....

A forum is better able to be managed way more smoothly and successfully if outright hatred, hostility, or disrespect of the moderators isn't allowed to cultivate and fester in the forum culture. Remember YCS? I don't actually, but by all accounts it was an insanely cliquey lovely shithole of goon rebels where exactly that did fester, and it was destroyed because why would the admins want to keep something unmanageable like that around.

And finally, I'll just copy and paste my answer from the GBS anime nitecrew thread to this question (not a popular comparison to GiP I'm sure, but that's another little SA community that sometimes misapprehends existing independently of SA):
The mods and admins volunteer their time to maintain the forums and extending them the minimum amount of respect of not being outright insulting harassing or hostile to them on those same forums is the absolute barest expectation one can extend. Anyone who isn't willing to put forth that tiny amount of self-control should probably not use the forums.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If the past is any indication, right about now is when you lose the star. :(.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think that is a great decision for this thread but I also feel a little lovely if I wind up getting in the "last word" by virtue of this. Maybe no one has anything more to add (I definitely don't) but if anyone still has a response you want heard, QCS or PMs are available.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

If folks have anything constructive or pressing to say go ahead but we are definitely wrapping up this discussion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm saying the rule breaks down what it means by that. The rules define sass and harassment and specifically say insults aren't one of them. Either change/clarify the rules or get thicker skin.

Also digging back almost a week to ban someone is some weak poo poo.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 4, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I just want someone, anyone really to suck my dick from the back

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If folks have anything constructive or pressing to say go ahead but we are definitely wrapping up this discussion.

I got a pressing matter for you. :quagmire:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I just want someone, anyone really to suck my dick from the back

Hey there hot stuff, I hear things about you boys in blue...
:wink:
:wmwink:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Whoa, I didn't know you were a dispatcher

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Whoa, I didn't know you were a dispatcher
Drop your pants and grab your toes. I'm gonna show you where the wild goose goes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

meet the new cast of Top Gear.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

When did they let Bradley Manning out of prison??

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yea that's not going to go well.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

The dude on the right ain't gonna be able to fit a helmet over that hair.

As a matter of fact I am jealous :cripes:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:rip: top gear

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

This is a joke, right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Spicy Guacamole posted:

This is a joke, right?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

If true, one more season tops.

Who am I kidding, people will still eat that poo poo up

Untagged fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 4, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Top Gear was on long before our most current iteration. The brand still has tremendous value.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Top Gear was on long before our most current iteration. The brand still has tremendous value.

I'm not going to watch it, personally.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Spicy Guacamole posted:

This is a joke, right?

Nope. Clarkson was at a pub with Jodi Kidd introducing her as the new host of Top Gear.

Andy Wilhelm, the guy who got the modern incarnation of Top Gear going with Clarkson, also just quit the BBC. So he's free to do something with the three of them.

It kinda works out that the contract was just about to end for them, they should be free to do whatever

quote:

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May were on the cusp of signing a new three-year contract before Clarkson punched a colleague in the face, May confirmed at the weekend.
In a column for The Sunday Times, the 52-year-old presenter said: "There we were, all three of us, on the brink of a new three-year contract to make Top Gear, after which we would definitely chuck it in with dignity and hand the reins to a new generation, assuming we were still alive.
"There were a few details to resolve about time frames and other mundane stuff, but the groaning draft version of this document was actually sitting on my desk."
To celebrate the imminent deal, May ordered a £208,000 Ferrari 458 Speciale. Then came the infamous "fracas": after a day's filming, Clarkson became involved in a row with a Top Gear producer, Oisin Tymon. The presenter struck Tymon in the face, Top Gear was suspended and May was left pondering what might have been.
"Everything in the future shattered like the mishandled Christmas bauble that the future turns out to be. It all evaporated, exactly as the poet Thomas Gray warned us: 'The boast of heraldry, the pomp of pow'r, and all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave' – along with the unsigned contract on my desk and unspoken permission to use the Concorde room at Heathrow terminal 5.
"It had all gone. All, that is, except the order for a 458 Speciale lodged in Ferrari's factory system, with only the final details to be confirmed. Oh cock, as I used to say when I was on telly."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I believe the common thought is that millions of people watched Top Gear not for the cars but for the trio. Yea, I don't expect great things from them, although Top Gear will continue to pull in viewers by virtue of it's premise and status.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Top Gear will live on and likely continue to thrive. Whatever Clarkson, Hammond, May go on to do will also be wildly successful. Hopefully someone like Netflix picks them up and gives them the freedom to do whatever with the show.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Top Gear will live on and likely continue to thrive. Whatever Clarkson, Hammond, May go on to do will also be wildly successful. Hopefully someone like Netflix picks them up and gives them the freedom to do whatever with the show.

I would be very surprised if they did another car show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I would be very surprised if they did another car show.

I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did something else. The 3 of them are awesome together and need to do something.

• Locked thread