Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the cell death scene when it looks like all hope is lost and then the least likely hero vegeta is there to save gohan and his music is playing was so fricken good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

like you see cells insane kamehameha overwhelming one arm gohan, nothing goku says is getting through to this dang kid, the lines are all crazy and everyone is half dead after their poo poo attempts at distracting cell, everything also is in like blue and white light from the huge rear end beams, poo poo the earth is probably done for this time...then you hear that piano or whatever and see vegeta floating above cell, gohan loses his poo poo and does that absolutely sick walk forward where he looks so powerful, that was all my poo poo as a kid

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Rodyle posted:

I have always hated Japanese Goku and when I found out they have her play the whole family I was even more baffled. Who the hell thinks that's good casting?

Given the Japanese and their reverence for VA's, expect all Dragon Ball material with an audible element to cease forever when she dies because they'll refuse to recast the characters out of respect.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I know you're half-joking but they have actually recast several characters whose VAs have died (including Hercule).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A Goku recast would still seek to find a VA that can be as close an imitation of Nozawa as possible, so.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pureauthor posted:

A Goku recast would still seek to find a VA that can be as close an imitation of Nozowa as possible, so.

The fanboy tears would still cause mass flooding.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Szmitten posted:

Given the Japanese and their reverence for VA's, expect all Dragon Ball material with an audible element to cease forever when she dies because they'll refuse to recast the characters out of respect.

Is America really all that different when it comes to recognize able voice actors? Do you think the Simpson's would simply replace the cast member if one of the lead family dropped dead?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Caros posted:

Is America really all that different when it comes to recognize able voice actors? Do you think the Simpson's would simply replace the cast member if one of the lead family dropped dead?

The Simpsons has a noted history of retiring characters out of respect of their actors when they pass away.

They've thankfully never had to deal with the deal of a major character, but given that trend, I imagine they'd call time on the show if a core character's actor had to call it quits for any reason.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Actually, they'll never stop the Simpsons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Absolutely. They'll reuse voice actors (especially as an in-joke) but specific voice actors are considered far less important with very few exceptions.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

tbp posted:

like you see cells insane kamehameha overwhelming one arm gohan, nothing goku says is getting through to this dang kid, the lines are all crazy and everyone is half dead after their poo poo attempts at distracting cell, everything also is in like blue and white light from the huge rear end beams, poo poo the earth is probably done for this time...then you hear that piano or whatever and see vegeta floating above cell, gohan loses his poo poo and does that absolutely sick walk forward where he looks so powerful, that was all my poo poo as a kid

Aw come on, the rest of the fighters attempting to distract Cell is one of the high points of the entire series to me. Shows that "gently caress this, the odds are against me but I'm not going down without a fight" mentality that I've always liked. I honestly wish it had more of an effect, like showed Cell faltering at a crucial moment and getting pushed into Gohan's blast.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It still annoys me that Goku had the time to instant transmission King Kai, bubbles and Gregory to earth before Cell blew up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

Aw come on, the rest of the fighters attempting to distract Cell is one of the high points of the entire series to me. Shows that "gently caress this, the odds are against me but I'm not going down without a fight" mentality that I've always liked. I honestly wish it had more of an effect, like showed Cell faltering at a crucial moment and getting pushed into Gohan's blast.

Too bad that isn't cannon. In the manga, only Vegeta had the guts to do anything, while everyone else stood around and gasped for air, not even helping dying Trunks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Too bad that isn't cannon. In the manga, only Vegeta had the guts to do anything, while everyone else stood around and gasped for air, not even helping dying Trunks.

I'm pretty sure in the manga Trunks bit it immediately after getting his chest vaporized.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

New Leaf posted:

no way i didn't want anyone but vegeta to get cell to flinch lol.........vegeta was so badass at that time, so angry at the loss of his son etc. it was cool as hell and while i did appreciate all the fighters going like "heh, goku, miss u man, gotta help your son" while getting destroyed, it had to be big V that did the damage

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Vegeta is cool and should always get shine spots. Tien and Yamcha perhaps not so much. More Vegeta imo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Whenever I hear a clip of Japanese Goku I am honestly surprised DBZ is popular at all there with a main character that sounds so bad/weird and is impossible to take seriously.

That's kind of the point most people miss (mainly due to growing up with HEROIC HERO MAN Goku). You aren't really supposed to take Goku seriously. He's a goofy, mentally challenged manchild. It's like an eternal 4 year old that flies in and fights people because it's fun.

And Gohan may be worse in his own way. And Goten is a kid.

Bardock, though, yeah, that one doesn't really make sense. And Turles by extension, I guess.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Caros posted:

There was a specific example I was thinking of re: Japan but I've completely forgotten it and now I look like a card.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

That's kind of the point most people miss (mainly due to growing up with HEROIC HERO MAN Goku). You aren't really supposed to take Goku seriously. He's a goofy, mentally challenged manchild. It's like an eternal 4 year old that flies in and fights people because it's fun.

No, I don't think they were making a point, they just didn't change the voice actor when kid Goku's balls dropped and he grew three feet taller.

Lotta people forget that DragonBall ran uninterrupted for a decade in Japan, they didn't get poo poo like the endless Namek repeats we had, they had one continuous run from 1986 to... 1994? Can't remember, point is, they started the series with one voice actor who was voicing a kid, and she did a good job at that, and they ended the series with the same voice actor who was playing the same role she was hired to play... despite the fact that Goku's now supposed to be a grandfather.

Would it have made more sense to change the VA when Goku aged? Yes.

Did they? No, they were running on a weekly schedule and didn't see the need.

So now we have Grandpa Goku sounding more like Granny Goku. There's no real "point" to be made, it's just "the way it's always been" because really, who at the time would have seen how far the series would go?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No, I don't think they were making a point, they just didn't change the voice actor when kid Goku's balls dropped and he grew three feet taller.

I didn't say they were making a point, I'm saying they're missing the point of Goku's character. He's one of the goofiest lovable idiots in fiction, but a lot of people see him as macho hero man (and a lot of that is probably due to the dub).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

I didn't say they were making a point, I'm saying they're missing the point of Goku's character. He's one of the goofiest lovable idiots in fiction, but a lot of people see him as macho hero man (and a lot of that is probably due to the dub).

I'd argue they got that point just fine. Nozawa plays kid Goku as exactly the kind of lovable idiot he's written as in the comic.

It's just that she also voices adult Goku the same way. Still fits his archetype, doesn't match his age.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

tbp posted:

no way i didn't want anyone but vegeta to get cell to flinch lol.........vegeta was so badass at that time, so angry at the loss of his son etc. it was cool as hell and while i did appreciate all the fighters going like "heh, goku, miss u man, gotta help your son" while getting destroyed, it had to be big V that did the damage

Well fine, let him make Cell stumble, but let everyone else contribute. Piccolo is one of the strongest beings in existence, but he's been outshined by a bunch of monkey people who discovered how to bleach their hair.. Breaks my heart.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So what the next best Cell and Android 18 figure outside of their out of print Figureart? Would love to have both, but Cell goes for about 170 on Amazon now and 18 isn't much better.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

New Leaf posted:

Well fine, let him make Cell stumble, but let everyone else contribute. Piccolo is one of the strongest beings in existence, but he's been outshined by a bunch of monkey people who discovered how to bleach their hair.. Breaks my heart.

I hope in the new series they give Piccolo a major power up, maybe not to Saiyan level but at least to a point he'll actually be relevant again. He's half Kami, surely he can learn God Ki?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A shocking twist in Dragonball Super as Gohan doesn't job... immediately.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Big manly hero with a granma voice was something unique and quirky that you can identify and remember. So we need to change it so big manly hero has big manly voice, because god forbid kids' heads explode by experiencing something unusual. Goes hand in hand with blue beer censorship and godawful music. I feel sorry for americans who grew up with that poo poo instead of actual Dragonball.

edit: didn't they put Linkin Park or something in History of Trunks? There's no excuse for that poo poo.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 4, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Spidder posted:

Japanese music and voices actually fit the tone of the manga, what with being the soundtrack to the animated version of it. US music and voices fit the tone of "WWE wrestling with giant golden hair" that US DBZ was going for. The only reason people like the mind-numbing Faulconer score is because it has been burnt into their brains through hundreds of hours of repetition over awesome scenes.

Good job on the circular argument. The American music and voices actually fit the tone of the anime, what with being the soundtrack to the US version of it. See? The rest is just as dumb and hilarious because the legendarily cheap Toei Animation Co, Ltd. reused the same music for the entirety of DB through DBZ.

Thyrork posted:

Its funny how the two different musical soundtracks have similar yet opposite problems. Japanese music needs to know when to ramp up the score, American needs to know when to calm down or let silence do the talking! :haw:
It's partially that and partially that the Japanese soundtrack is basically just a cheap, ill-fitting mess by the end of DBZ. I really don't care to check if they're using the same exact music for villains as DB, but it sure as hell sounds like they're fighting Emperor Pilaf and his clown posse a lot more than going up against world breakers.

Here's a good comparison. Goku goes SSJ3, which is probably the most insane beast thing ever done in-universe up to that point.

JP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzFUN4CxLww
US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_CcJ-uBWI
Kai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30wKMvndEw

Observations on the Japanese version:
- There is absolutely no mistaking that Goku is a screaming grandma. It sounds like Buu just tore Grandma Goku's bingo chart in half.
- The music is the same tired trumpet music at the same quality they've been using for every single tense scene since the original DB.
- Goku fighting General Blue literally has more tense music.
- Kid Trunks has a deeper voice than Goku, Piccolo, and his own goddamn father. Probably because he's voiced by a VA that matches his gender.

Observations on the US version:
- Goku sounds like an adult male.
- This music is completely original to this scene.
- Goku is going so HAM holy poo poo he just broke every limit and is about to pound puddy boy into a liquid.
- Look at this absolute, primal power accompanied by a soundtrack that evokes an image of absolute, primal power.

Observations on Kai:
- lmao they completely stripped the jp soundtrack out of the scene
- Goku still sounds like an adult male.
- It does sound vastly better than the original. Maybe because they're not ham-fisting cheap Toei stock tracks at random.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 4, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spidder posted:

Big manly hero with a granma voice was something unique and quirky that you can identify and remember. So we need to change it so big manly hero has big manly voice, because god forbid kids' heads explode by experiencing something unusual. Goes hand in hand with blue beer censorship and godawful music. I feel sorry for americans who grew up with that poo poo instead of actual Dragonball.

I grew up with Latin American Dragon Ball (and, as per usual, will point out it is the superior version) and that definitely had a big manly voice for Goku (Mario Castaņeda is my Goku forever), and changed/censored literally nothing. Your argument goes nowhere, there's a difference between the awful censorship and music changes and deciding that the main character shouldn't have a completely unfitting voice.

Masako Nozawa was a great choice for Kid Goku, but definitely not for adult Goku. And even less so for Bardock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spidder posted:

edit: didn't they put Linkin Park or something in History of Trunks? There's no excuse for that poo poo.

Linkin Park has done official songs for Japanese Gundam products.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Thunderbro posted:

Good job on the circular argument. The American music and voices actually fit the tone of the anime, what with being the soundtrack to the US version of it. See?

Agreed, they fit right in with the next dimensions, parachutes, three-eyed cowboys, blue beer, and WWE monster truck grudge match stupidity of the US version.

I just do not like any of those things in my Dragon Ball.

There's a reason dubs stopped pulling that poo poo right after DBZ. It's because they realized that kind of localization is retarded, pointless, ruins the original work, and costs production a ton of money for no reason.

I do understand however that the majority here grew up with this and will defend it against all logic and sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, 9 times out of 10, I will defend subbed releases over dubbed....but I grew up with dubbed butttock DBZ and thus will always prefer that version.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Spidder posted:

Agreed, they fit right in with the next dimensions, parachutes, three-eyed cowboys, blue beer, and WWE monster truck grudge match stupidity of the US version.

I just do not like any of those things in my Dragon Ball.

There's a reason dubs stopped pulling that poo poo right after DBZ. It's because they realized it's retarded, pointless, ruin the original work, and costs production a ton of money for no reason.

I do understand however that the majority here grew up with this and will defend it against all logic and sense.

You just used circular logic to validate your own opinion in an insulting way, yet talk about defending things against all logic and sense? Also shonen literally is Japanese WWE and vice-versa. It's the same exact poo poo with the same exact premises and same exact storylines. Putting it in moonspeak doesn't make it superior.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Spidder posted:

As opposed to the logic and sense of an old lady voicing am entire male family line?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I bet if most you all grew up on grandma Goku, you'd say her voice-acting was "endearing" and "captures the character perfectly" and you'd dismiss other interpretations as "good attempts, but missing the soul".

Why do I say this as a fact? Because ya'll do it with everything else, it's kinda silly (or at least of you do, without missing a beat)

I cant remember poo poo about the original dub, but I binged through Japanese Kai and never realy had a problem with the voices. What I found more jarring is Krillins voice being Monkey D Luffy. The dude who does cell in japanese is ballin.

Also the kai soundtrack that got banned was brilliant, although I quite like some of the music in the current kai series.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

track day bro! posted:

I cant remember poo poo about the original dub, but I binged through Japanese Kai and never realy had a problem with the voices. What I found more jarring is Krillins voice being Monkey D Luffy. The dude who does cell in japanese is ballin.

Also the kai soundtrack that got banned was brilliant, although I quite like some of the music in the current kai series.

Yeah the Kai soundtrack made a strong argument for plagiarism being a positive force.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Linkin Park has done official songs for Japanese Gundam products.

I think the most magical example of this was multiple Avril Lavigne songs in a One Piece movie (yes, in the original Japanese).

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

I grew up with Latin American Dragon Ball (and, as per usual, will point out it is the superior version) and that definitely had a big manly voice for Goku (Mario Castaņeda is my Goku forever), and changed/censored literally nothing. Your argument goes nowhere, there's a difference between the awful censorship and music changes and deciding that the main character shouldn't have a completely unfitting voice.

Masako Nozawa was a great choice for Kid Goku, but definitely not for adult Goku. And even less so for Bardock.

Most dubs around the world had Goku have a manly voice and I can understand why. It's when you combine Goku's Superman voice with all the other stuff in the US version that you get this mess that NA experienced as DBZ.

ps. us europeans are laughing at the US dub for a decade now jejejejejeje

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spidder posted:

Most dubs around the world had Goku have a manly voice and I can understand why. It's when you combine Goku's Superman voice with all the other stuff in the US version that you get this mess that NA experienced as DBZ.

ps. us europeans are laughing at the US dub for a decade now jejejejejeje

Didn't Europe get the Big Green Dub through?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

track day bro! posted:

I see you are not sufficiently familiar with Norio Wakamoto's works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

track day bro! posted:

It's watchable because basically every single adult male is voiced by a woman in the DBZ JP dub for some reason and thus Grandma Goku isn't quite the sore thumb as Luffy. The casting is still ill-fitting, but so endemically ill-fitting that it camouflages itself. Luffy is a 19-year-old male shrieking grandma in a production that generally avoids that kind of thing.

• Locked thread