Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sanford posted:

I have no idea why Haley can fly, at the end there. Why is she flying?

because they're 16th level characters and any midlevel magic effect is trivial?

e: actually no everyone else's answer is better, ignore

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
This same joke (sorta kinda) was made back in strip 151: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0151.html

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly if I were rich enough in D&Dland I'd have fly on myself 24/7. Climbing staircases is so dull.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
The easy (and correct) solution is to be a mage.

Eventually, you can just bypass the entire "traversing physical space" issue.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: New Strip! 982: Respirate in Peace :siren:

Ha ha, the expression on that guys face in the last panel...

I wonder if that might make Roy slightly more suspicious.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Vamp-Durkon's playing a dangerous game. What if the head cleric comes out of the temple and says "I've heard you needed a resurrection and grabbed some diamonds on the way over, let's start the ritual right away"? The priests being blindfolded, Vamp-Durkon can't cheat his way out via hypnosis like last time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mikl posted:

Vamp-Durkon's playing a dangerous game. What if the head cleric comes out of the temple and says "I've heard you needed a resurrection and grabbed some diamonds on the way over, let's start the ritual right away"? The priests being blindfolded, Vamp-Durkon can't cheat his way out via hypnosis like last time.

Yeah, I'm assuming that's part of the set-up. Something'll will happen that he can't hypnotize his way out of, and he'll be forced to improvise. We'll learn more of what he's capable of, and perhaps another seed of doubt will be planted in Roy's mind. If Durkula was just gonna Dominate his way through a string of gnome temples, we'd be seeing it in... whatever the comic book version of a montage is.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

don't clerics typically have fairly good resistance against run-off-the-mill domination stuff?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

V. Illych L. posted:

don't clerics typically have fairly good resistance against run-off-the-mill domination stuff?

Will is a high save and wisdom is a primary stat, but considering the DC is based on 10+half of durkon's HD+charisma score, it's a bit high for low level characters to manage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ikanreed posted:

Will is a high save and wisdom is a primary stat, but considering the DC is based on 10+half of durkon's HD+charisma score, it's a bit high for low level characters to manage.

Yeah, but if you're high enough to cast Resurrection shouldn't you be in good shape?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I guess the "learn to fake a living voice by breathing" trick that Malak was using takes a bit of practice to get the hang of.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I though Durkon had somehow checked (or been told by Hel) that there are no clerics that can cast Resurrection in the town.
But maybe I remember this wrong.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

I though Durkon had somehow checked (or been told by Hel) that there are no clerics that can cast Resurrection in the town.

The clerics seem to think their head cleric can do it. Otherwise they would have said that none of them could do it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Doesn't Durkon need True Resurrection? They have to dust him before they can bring him back, and without a body, I think True Resurrection is necessary. On this page, though, Roy says they have the corpse, which would mean just resurrection would do.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

tonberrytoby posted:

He did some scouting the first night they were in town, I believe. I'm wondering if this section will end up with Durkula being driven out of the party, since his prophecy indicates he'll probably still be dead when he gets to the Dwarven lands. If this temple does have a priest that can cast Resurrect, he'll have a real problem trying to avoid actually getting killed and raised without making Roy too suspicious to suspend disbelief.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Doesn't Durkon need True Resurrection? They have to dust him before they can bring him back, and without a body, I think True Resurrection is necessary. On this page, though, Roy says they have the corpse, which would mean just resurrection would do.

Nope. Resurrection just needs a piece of the body. Vampire dust would do. True Resurrection doesn't need anything at all.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kruller posted:

I'm wondering if this section will end up with Durkula being driven out of the party, since his prophecy indicates he'll probably still be dead when he gets to the Dwarven lands.

Not really, "posthumously" could be taken as "after he's died", it doesn't exclude coming back to life afterwards.

As opposed to, say, Belkar's prophecy. There's not much to interpret in "his last breath ever".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mikl posted:

Not really, "posthumously" could be taken as "after he's died", it doesn't exclude coming back to life afterwards.

As opposed to, say, Belkar's prophecy. There's not much to interpret in "his last breath ever".

That would be a double layer of unhelpful, so it IS something the Oracle would say...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

V. Illych L. posted:

Yeah, but vampire domination is a gaze attack.

These gnomes are blindfolded.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

It could also turn out that the gnome island is technically Dwarven land, so the prophecy has already been fulfilled.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nimby posted:

It could also turn out that the gnome island is technically Dwarven land, so the prophecy has already been fulfilled.

He hasn't brought death and destruction yet. No, Crystal's short-lived rampage doesn't count because if any can claim to have brought it, it was Haley.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Burlew, please don't use "feels" or other horrible Internet bullshit in your otherwise excellent strip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Network Pesci posted:

Burlew, please don't use "feels" or other horrible Internet bullshit in your otherwise excellent strip.

I hate to break it to you but 'feels' is a thing that is pretty readily making its way into general lexicon. My mother used it the other day and she isn't remotely an internet person.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

ImpAtom posted:

I hate to break it to you but 'feels' is a thing that is pretty readily making its way into general lexicon. My mother used it the other day and she isn't remotely an internet person.

Also: Gnomes are irreverent and annoying.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 4, 2015

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I still say permitting the gnome killing rampage would have been the good aligned thing to do.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I agree, the last speech bubble in this particular strip is the worst thing ever written and gently caress Burlew for even thinking about it.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
"Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism."

Actually this is the worst thing Burlew ever wrote, if he wrote it, but I don't know for sure. I saw it in the signature of somebody with a pony avatar and 10000 posts on the OOTS forums, so I'm not condemning Burlew for it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Network Pesci posted:

"Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism."

Actually this is the worst thing Burlew ever wrote, if he wrote it, but I don't know for sure. I saw it in the signature of somebody with a pony avatar and 10000 posts on the OOTS forums, so I'm not condemning Burlew for it.

No I remember that conversation. He actually did say that, back during one of those endless Familicide debates I believe, and yes it's complete bullshit.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Rich Burlew - kind of a douche.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Whoops, actually it looks like it came up in a Redcloak thread. I must just remember it getting quoted somewhere in the V one.

Right here. He puts it another way too: 'no fiction is meaningful if its lessons cannot be applied to the world that we, real actual humans, live in.' Which might be phrasing that's easier to swallow.

Due to the thread title I can't blame him for being generally pissy there, I just don't like the implication that a story has no value unless there's some clearly spelled out Moral Message there like it's a Saturday morning cartoon or whatever, or that simply being entertaining isn't a good enough reason for a webcomic to exist.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rich is an rear end in a top hat. Learning to separate the artist from the art is a crucial life skill.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Art is about the world in which the artist and audience live. There aren't any others.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zoe posted:

Whoops, actually it looks like it came up in a Redcloak thread. I must just remember it getting quoted somewhere in the V one.

Right here. He puts it another way too: 'no fiction is meaningful if its lessons cannot be applied to the world that we, real actual humans, live in.' Which might be phrasing that's easier to swallow.

Due to the thread title I can't blame him for being generally pissy there, I just don't like the implication that a story has no value unless there's some clearly spelled out Moral Message there like it's a Saturday morning cartoon or whatever, or that simply being entertaining isn't a good enough reason for a webcomic to exist.

But if being entertaining was a requirement, how would you explain Gunnerkrigg's existence?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zoe posted:

Good stories are about people, not about cool worlds and neato magic systems, I think is his point.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

Wait a minute, this strip just conspicuously brought up vampires not breathing. Maybe Belkar is going to become a vampire :raise:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Belkar becoming undead is pretty much the accepted interpretation of the prophecy, because it's just so specific. So much so that I hope Rich is planning to subvert the expectation somehow, or it's gonna be a repeat of the big reveal that Malack is a vampire! when everyone had that figured out pretty much as soon as he started talking about his special diet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm betting it'll be like the Miko situation where Belkar will die and we'll get a fakeout of him being turned into a vampire or something. Seems more Rich's style to play it straight while making a cheeky reference to the speculated loopholes, like with the arrow at the siege of Azure City or the Oracle trying to claim Belkar indirectly killed various people.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Belkar with vampire powers would be pretty bad- this isn't World of Darkness, so Belkar's use of Int as a dump stat isn't going to make his hypnosis powers lovely.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pope Guilty posted:

Belkar with vampire powers would be pretty bad- this isn't World of Darkness, so Belkar's use of Int as a dump stat isn't going to make his hypnosis powers lovely.

On the plus side it wouldn't change his personality much. He's already "use the skulls of your enemies as a litter box" evil. After dealing with The Mark and whatnot he's even developed enough enlightened self interest to keep his evil impulses under control, to the point some readers started wondering if he's really still evil (he is). He understands how to suppress strong evil impulses better than any of them.

None of that would help if all vampires get possessed by evil spirits, but if he was still in control of himself becoming a vampire could make very little difference. Except that he'd no longer be able to enjoy food; a terrible curse for a gourmet hobbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm pretty sure Wisdom was his dump stat, although I doubt his Intelligence is very high either.