Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Being an authorized user on someone else's credit card doesn't impact your credit at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Being an authorized user on someone else's credit card doesn't impact your credit at all.

That's what I thought, hence needing my own. Thanks for confirming.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Really? I'm pretty sure my wife has had authorized cards show up on her credit report.

Is it just that the authorized cards show up but they don't impact the actual score?

Edit: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/tips/credit-score/credit-card-authorized-users-build-credit/

TL;DR it depends

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 26, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

TL;DR it depends
Most importantly, new scoring models are pretty much all trying to drop anything where you are an AU from the score calculation, because people figured out that wasn't the case and started gaming it. However, there are still shitloads of places using the old scoring model and it seems unlikely any of them are going to pay to upgrade to the new one anytime soon.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So in summary, it affects my wife's score and my own based on the cards we are using (at least according to the site I cited) since we are mostly a Chase issued card family.

That being said, for the UK goon a few posts above me, most of the Chase Ultimate Rewards cards transfer points 1:1 to United points so any of those might work better for you!

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003

hbf posted:

I'm looking for a card that preferably has: no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and has a chip/will be accepted around Europe. Based on the OP it looks like the BoA Travel Rewards meets the requirements, but was wondering if there is anything else that is decent?

Digging this up from the last page. I just got the Quicksilver card today and it has a chip. Capital One is slowly rolling out chips and I guess they're not officially advertising that they have them just yet, so YMMV.

Edit for clarity: It's chip and sig.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there any way to get credit card companies to stop sending me offers? I get like 5-10 a week.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, you can opt out of pre-approved offers:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

optoutprescreen.com is awesome.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I did that in 2010, and again in 2013. As soon a I started using credit in 2013, the offers started pouring in and haven't stopped since. I get 1+ a week from Cap1, Discover, etc.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

I did that in 2010, and again in 2013. As soon a I started using credit in 2013, the offers started pouring in and haven't stopped since. I get 1+ a week from Cap1, Discover, etc.

I get like 3 from cap 1 a week, all of different card types, and then summer Amex thrown in for good measure

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Some offers are really dumb but there are occasional gems like the Amex Platinum 100k points for $3k spend that I wish they would send me :(

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

Some offers are really dumb but there are occasional gems like the Amex Platinum 100k points for $3k spend that I wish they would send me :(

I've heard of people getting the offers just from calling Amex up and asking so you could try that.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I was looking for ideas on how to use a credit card to make mortgage payments and found this: http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/target-redcard-pay-mortgage-with-credit-card/

Anyone here tried this?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thesaurus posted:

I was looking for ideas on how to use a credit card to make mortgage payments and found this: http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/target-redcard-pay-mortgage-with-credit-card/

Anyone here tried this?

I have three redcards (Myself, Wife, Mother) and yes, you can billpay with them but not sure it's really worth it. Just send yourself the money back into your bank account and pay off the credit card with them. No need to pay off specific bills with it. It just adds another layer of complexity that is unnecessary.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
For those worried about chip and sig cards:

They at least worked fine in Gothenburg and London airports. The reader just tells you to take out your card and never asks for a pin.

It was a lot less painful than I worried it could be.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

My wife and I have applied to the first of a planned pair of Alaska Airlines cards to earn miles for an Asia trip next year. I applied first and got the Signature card with the 25,000 mile bonus. I then sent her a referral link so I could get the 2,500 mile referral bonus. So far so good. She just applied and was approved for a card at a credit limit of $1,800, which is either the Platinum Plus or the Preferred (she closed the window before I could see which :doh:). I assume this is because she's still a "student". She has an excellent credit score and she entered our combined household income of $76,500, but she's finishing her PhD so I'm guessing the "student" label kicked her down a tier.

Is this the kind of thing the recon line would be sympathetic to if we called? I'd really like to get her bumped up to the Signature card on this.

Also, I was going to have her apply for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select, but now I'm kinda spooked that we're gonna run into the same issue. How kosher is it to put that she's employed by the University instead of a student? She gets a W2 from them for some of her activities. I'm guessing she probably still needs to mark student.

Update: recon understood the deal, recognized our household income, and upgraded her to a Signature card. We will probably still need to follow up with Alaska Airlines but I'm feeling pretty positive about that.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
We are looking for another credit card, either Visa or MC. We need it to have low or no foreign transactions fees, since we would be using it when we go back to the UK to visit his family.

Preferably cash back in some form. We have good to excellent credit, just need to branch out and get a card that can be used for what we need. We tend to use the card we have atm for everything....mostly shopping online, eating out, groceries, gas and so on. We would be using our other Visa for bills and emergency use if needed, since it has a rate of 6.9% through our credit union.

What would be our best bet most likely?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Disco Salmon posted:

We are looking for another credit card, either Visa or MC. We need it to have low or no foreign transactions fees, since we would be using it when we go back to the UK to visit his family.

Preferably cash back in some form. We have good to excellent credit, just need to branch out and get a card that can be used for what we need. We tend to use the card we have atm for everything....mostly shopping online, eating out, groceries, gas and so on. We would be using our other Visa for bills and emergency use if needed, since it has a rate of 6.9% through our credit union.

What would be our best bet most likely?

Capital One Quicksilver or Bank Americard Travel Rewards are your best bets. Both now have a EMV chip, no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and 1.5% cashback. You need to redeem the Bank Americard towards travel expenses but that shouldn't be an issue.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

THF13 posted:

Capital One Quicksilver or Bank Americard Travel Rewards are your best bets. Both now have a EMV chip, no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and 1.5% cashback. You need to redeem the Bank Americard towards travel expenses but that shouldn't be an issue.

BofA Travel is 1.5% default, 1.5% + 10% bonus if you have checking, +25% if you have 20k, +50% if you have 50k, +75% if you have 100k with the bank / investments.

That card can range up to 2.6% rewards if you have 100k+ /w BofA/ML.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

THF13 posted:

Cap1 quicksilver has an annual fee after the first year ($59). Just fyi.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

hbf posted:

No, it does not.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

FunOne posted:

BofA Travel is 1.5% default, 1.5% + 10% bonus if you have checking, +25% if you have 20k, +50% if you have 50k, +75% if you have 100k with the bank / investments.

That card can range up to 2.6% rewards if you have 100k+ /w BofA/ML.

I added a note about this to the OP, thanks.

hbf posted:

The standard Quicksilver card doesn't have an annual fee, but they do have another identical looking card called the QuicksilverOne which has an annual fee of $39 for people without great credit. I made a note in the OP to make sure to avoid that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
If you can do the minimum spend of $4k in 3 months, I would just do the Sapphire Preferred and get the 45k points. You will want to downgrade to the regular Sapphire or cancel after 11 months to avoid the annual fee, but 45k Chase points is going to be better than anything else out there.

In my experience, the no annual fee cards with no foreign transaction fees are also the worst for rewards. But luckily the fee cards with no foreign transaction fees also usually give good sign up bonuses. So my suggestion would be to get a different card every year. Do the sapphire this year, an Amex card next year, Wells Fargo Propel the next, and then maybe a BarclayCard, depending on who's offering the best bonus.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

After the announcement today, the crying over Target redcard not taking CC loads starting tomorrow is pretty funny.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Cacafuego posted:

After the announcement today, the crying over Target redcard not taking CC loads starting tomorrow is pretty funny.

Everyone kinda knows that the deal is that a source of unloading could go away at any moment. Anybody truly hosed by this is a moron.

I'll probably keep the thing. The 5% off combined with Cartwheel coupons isn't too bad OH GOD TARGET HAS ME IN THEIR ECOSYSTEM NOW THEIR PLAN WORKED

VVVVVV: Yeah, I was hoping this would last through the summer to complete a bunch of hotel min spend offers, especially SPG once the promo eventually comes out, but luckily I can do that with my regular spending stretched over a longer period of time.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 6, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Got $11.5K in loads between yesterday and today. If it's true than I've drained the last drop. Good while it lasted but I had no illusions that it would continue indefinitely. Really wanted to get a few more months though. Time to find the next alternative!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Got in 6k today, wish I'd seen the warning yesterday. Too bad I just got the wells fargo card that would have gotten me $50 a swipe.

I'm all hooked on this MS thing now, at least to get the minimum spend on cards as fast as possible for the bonus. I don't want to be one of those scrubs trying to unload a stack of $100 visa debit cards at target customer service next week though.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This guy on frequentmiler:

quote:

Man this is really bad. Just ordered 20k amex gift card this morning via TCB. I am calling right now to cancel it…

lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
After years of BofA I'm finally jumping over to a local credit union. I was hoping to do the same with my credit card.

I have great credit, use my card for everything, and end up moving a few thousand each month. I've never had anything beyond a student card, though, so I feel I'm not taking advantage of some of the offers out there. Are there any decent non BofA options out there for my usage? I fly a fair amount too- would it be better to go with airline rewards card or just stick to cash back, given how I used the drat thing?

Sorry for what are probably dumb questions. I'm an immigrant so I've been raised extremely skeptical/ignorant of credit cards.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Miles are generally worth more than cash back, but you need to be flexible to use them as awards may be limited both in location and time. Choosing a miles card, and I'm lumping cards that can transfer to airlines like Chase UR, Amex MR, etc, requires research to effectively use. Cash back on the other hand is simplistic, and Citi Double Cash with 2% is a good place to start.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BULBASAUR posted:

After years of BofA I'm finally jumping over to a local credit union. I was hoping to do the same with my credit card.

I have great credit, use my card for everything, and end up moving a few thousand each month. I've never had anything beyond a student card, though, so I feel I'm not taking advantage of some of the offers out there. Are there any decent non BofA options out there for my usage? I fly a fair amount too- would it be better to go with airline rewards card or just stick to cash back, given how I used the drat thing?

Sorry for what are probably dumb questions. I'm an immigrant so I've been raised extremely skeptical/ignorant of credit cards.

Is more of your flying within the US or back to your original country? The best travel card for you depends on your typical destinations and the airlines that serve them.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

asur posted:

No, it does not.

Woops was thinking of the Venture card. Didn't realize the Quicksilver didn't have foreign trans fee and an EMV.

So opinions on Cap1 Quicksilver vs BoA Travel Rewards? Looking mainly for a card to use traveling in Europe with no fees. Don't bank with BoA or have any other Cap1 products.

hbf fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 6, 2015

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

pig slut lisa posted:

Is more of your flying within the US or back to your original country? The best travel card for you depends on your typical destinations and the airlines that serve them.

I'm not the one this question is addressed to, but I'd like to know anyway. If my wife and I travel internationally every other year (to any other continent), and on the off-years we take trips within the US, which travel card(s) make the most sense?

Right now we have both the Barclay Arrival+ and the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Our free year for both cards will be up in several months and I'm planning on downgrading one or both of them to avoid any annual fee. Not sure if it is worth keeping either one. Definitely don't think we'll keep both.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So it appears that the most efficient fee-free method to manufactured spending now is the following:

Step 1 Order American Express Business Gift Cards through Cashback Portal (LuckyShops.com, ie.) and earn 2% on the order, while paying $3.95 per card up to $3K each
Step 2 Purchase Vanilla Gift Cards (CVS/Walgreens?) with AGCs (do all places take CC?)
Step 3 Load Redbirds with Vanilla Gift Cards as debit
Step 4 Withdraw funds back to bank account as before

Not the worst thing in the world except that if done in $500 increments I've doubled the number of swipes that I need to do at Target, but apparently you can do two per transaction so there's that. I'm going to run some experiments to see. I have $3500 in open Redbird loading for May with plenty of time. Going to first see if my local CVS/Walgreens has the $500 Vanilla GCs and if they will allow me to purchase with my SPG Amex. Using this method you actually can make ~$80-$150 a month depending on how many Redbirds you're loading.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Is there any reason to use this Plenti thing instead of just using my Amex?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Not a credit card offer, but I got an offer from Citi for 30k AA Miles in exchange for opening a checking account and meeting some spend requirements.

How do bank accounts work WRT to credit pulls? Should I stagger this away from other applications I've done or should I be fine?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
There's a separate rating agency for bank accounts called ChexSystems. Opening a bank account shouldn't impact your credit rating.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

For whatever reason you pay taxes on cash back for bank account bonuses though. Not sure if they do that with miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

khysanth posted:

I'm not the one this question is addressed to, but I'd like to know anyway. If my wife and I travel internationally every other year (to any other continent), and on the off-years we take trips within the US, which travel card(s) make the most sense?

Right now we have both the Barclay Arrival+ and the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Our free year for both cards will be up in several months and I'm planning on downgrading one or both of them to avoid any annual fee. Not sure if it is worth keeping either one. Definitely don't think we'll keep both.

For travelling within the US, your best mileage programs are probably British Airways Avios and Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards. You can earn the former directly with the Chase BA card, and indirectly with the Chase Sapphire Preferred and any Amex that earns Membership Rewards (Amex Gold is a good one to consider). To earn Southwest RRs, go with either of Chase's Southwest branded cards or (again) the Chase Sapphire Preferred (although not Amex, since it's not a transfer partner).

For international, it depends on where you want to go.
-AAdvantage offers good redemption rates to anywhere AA flies internationally. You can pick these up with the Citi AA platinum card (there's a gold too I think). They also have decent partners, especially to Asia.
-If you want to fly on either Cathay Pacific or Emirates, go with the Alaska Airlines BofA card. This is a highly churnable card so if that's your thing you can rack up a high point balance pretty quickly. Even if you don't churn it, Alaska has phenomenal redemption rates on these two airlines. They have very generous routing rules too: you're allowed a stopover on each international booking. So if you want to get anywhere in Asia, India, Africa, or Europe and are willing to route through the UAE or Hong Kong, this is the cheapest points way to do so.
-If you want to go direct to Europe on a non-US airline, you probably want to go with a card that earns Star Alliance points (like the United card, which currently has a bonus) or FlyingBlue (the KLM/AirFrance program, which you can transfer to via Amex's Membership Rewards program).

There's a lot more nuance obviously but that's a good general overview as I see it.

e: Also as I understand it the Barclay Arrival+ is good if you find yourself having to book with cash, since you get a good reimbursement rate on it. But I can't speak personally to that.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 7, 2015