Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I liked the joke more than the comedy autopsy fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Gazpacho posted:

Why, within the current renaissance of research in continental philosophy, is there a coincidence between the structure of ontological systems and the structure of the most highly evolved technologies of post-Fordist capitalism? I am speaking, on the one hand, of computer networks in general and object-oriented computer languages (such as Java or C++) in particular and, on the other hand, of certain realist philosophers such as Bruno Latour, but also more pointedly Quentin Meillassoux, Graham Harman, and their associated school known as speculative realism. Why do these philosophers, when holding up a mirror to nature, see the mode of production reflected back at them? Why, in short, is there a coincidence between today’s ontologies and the software of big business?

In Badiou's work, I have discovered a parallel between set theory and the design of certain computer languages. His work shares much more with software and algorithmic systems than he might realize. An uncanny homology exists between key concepts in Badiou's ontology, influenced directly by set theory, and key concepts in the design of object-oriented computer languages. Indeed as computer historians attest, object-oriented computer languages were originally designed using principles gleaned from systems theory and set theory.2 This is not unimportant, given the fact that object-oriented computer languages inhabit an important niche in today's global industrial infrastructure: as software they control the new robotic automobile plants, fluidly synchronize corporate headquarters with call centers in other countries, and allow companies like Google and Facebook to process millions of requests efficiently. Is there a secret cybercapitalist core underpinning Badiou's Being and Event? Probably not. Is there a similarity between how Badiou and Java or C++ speak about the world?

i think you might find that latour, badiou & co. labor under the same setting upon that sets upon man and challenges him forth to reveal the real, in the mode of ordering, as standing-reserve as the corporate computer scientist and mathematician, op

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Convolve your ideas about ontology with the unit toke function and I'll think you'll find that

you finally understand what a monad is

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
i seriously thought those posts were from a markov generator at first. still not sure.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Convolve your ideas about ontology with the unit toke function and I'll think you'll find that

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

gazpacho that was a real neat article thanks for postin it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the non-joke is that he was using biological definitions not philosophy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recapitulation_theory

my ap biology class in high school told me that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny was still considered mostly true so it was a bit weird seeing a 1978 citation for it being defunct

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

JawnV6 posted:

comedy autopsy

mods plz

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Spime Wrangler posted:

gazpacho that was a real neat article thanks for postin it
i thought it was really dumb myself, his claim that object-oriented languages are a of hallmark of contemporary capitalist ideology is only slightly more persuasive than "hitler drank water." it is plain enough that software managers have used OOPLs to reify programming labor for market consumption, but that only partially explains the adoption of OOP and galloway offers nothing that i can see to explain adoption more generally as something that proceeds from the initiative of capitalists. indeed if you look beyond companies developing platform technology as such, managers will readily go to market with systems running amorphous poo poo, for reasons that bill gates expressed in a critique of OO hype around 1989: people buy software for the features and "no one cares that you used squirrels to build the thing"

idk anything about those philosophers he discusses but they're all piled on top of that very flawed starting premise

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 5, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

did hitler actually drink water?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm just asking questions. truth does not fear investigation.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
hi guys, haven't checked the thread in a while. is python still the current hipste?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

actually Python is the new Java

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Gazpacho posted:

i thought it was really dumb myself, his claim that object-oriented languages are a of hallmark of contemporary capitalist ideology is only slightly more persuasive than "hitler drank water." it is plain enough that software managers have used OOPLs to reify programming labor for market consumption, but that only partially explains the adoption of OOP and galloway offers nothing that i can see to explain adoption more generally as something that proceeds from the initiative of capitalists. indeed if you look beyond companies developing platform technology as such, managers will readily go to market with systems running amorphous poo poo, for reasons that bill gates expressed in a critique of OO hype around 1989: people buy software for the features and "no one cares that you used squirrels to build the thing"

idk anything about those philosophers he discusses but they're all piled on top of that very flawed starting premise

Here's the paper if anyone else is enough of a continentalist loser to want to read it: http://cultureandcommunication.org/galloway/pdf/Galloway,%20Poverty%20of%20Philosophy.pdf

I think the bit about programming languages is sufficient for his purpose, which is to demonstrate that mathematics as we know it is both a tool of capitalism and has been historically shaped by the capitalist drive. I also think that OOP could be argued to have a deeper effect on the use and organization of labor, especially considering how program structure generally mirrors the structure of the teams working on it, the organizations that coordinate the teams, and the economic systems that structure the relationships between the organizations. Even if OOP isn't necessarily a core element of capitalist ideology, it is purpose-built for supporting capitalist systems and in use mirrors the structure of those systems. I think that you could substitute non-structured, functional, distributed, or whatever programming paradigm you would like and still come to the same conclusion, regardless of the quality of execution (amorphous poo poo).

His specific point seems to be that set-theory-derived tools (chosen as his example because those are the ones being used by the philosophers he cites) may be either susceptible to cooption by capitalist forces or may have arisen due to pressure from capitalism. For example, would our command of data analysis or numerical integration methods be as sharp if they did not have military applications? Would set theory be as advanced if it was not useful for the categorizing and ordering tasks that benefit industry? Can mathematical tools associated with software engineering be the foundation of a moral, ethical philosophy?

Basically, no:

p19 posted:

after software has entered history, math cannot and should not be understood ahistorically

I think his point can be understood using two of heidegger's arguments about how science and technology evolve and shape our perception of reality. The first (presented in the Question Concerning Technology) is that modern technological humanity perceives natural resources first and foremost in terms of how they can be put to use: a dammable river as a stock/standing-reserve of hydraulic energy, a mountain as a stock of iron ore, people as a stock of labor effort, or in this case mathematics as a stock of useful tools for the extraction, transformation, and ordering of these other resources. The second argument (presented in The Age of the World Picture) is that the reality perceived by the scientific process necessarily perpetuates and extends a preexisting framework of thought (a "world picture"). New math is built on old math, while new physical experiments are built on, verify, disprove, and extend the prevailing model of physical laws and thereby perpetuate and reaffirm the use of that model.

Galloway's argument is that, at best, realism and the abstract mathematical approach to philosophy lacks built-in, foundational morality or ethics and at worst is built on and therefore perpetuates capitalist systems of thought. If the math of set theory and object oriented programming arose historically through a drive towards capitalist ends (ie Fordism, post-Fordism), then "Object-Oriented Philosophy" and the realist program is built with tools that arose from and were designed for use in capitalist enterprise, and tools developed by anticapitalist philosophers can be easily coopted since by design they map well to the structure of the capitalist system:

quote:

As the opening remarks on Badiou and Java illustrated, there exists today a convergence between the logic of mathematical disciplines (such as computer science) and the logic of the mode of production.17 Let this serve as a grand dividing line between two schools of thought, those who consider today that symbolic logic, geometry, linear analysis, set theory, algorithms, information processing, and so on are outside of ontic history, that is, outside the history of instances (but not necessarily the history of essences), and those who recognize that such mathematization exists today at the very heart of the mode of production and therefore, not only drives history, but in some basic way is history itself. One approach will answer to the name realism, the other, materialism.

Materialism (as originating with Marx) is founded on a historical assessment of material conditions instead of math:

quote:

What does materialism ultimately espouse? That everything should be rooted in material life and history, not in abstraction, logical necessity, universality, essence, pure form, spirit, or idea. Thus the true poverty of the new realism is not so much its naive trust in mathematical reasoning and object-oriented architectures but its inability to recognize that the highest order of the absolute, the totality itself, is found in the material history of mankind.

Which in this forum probably sounds like a bunch of marxist circlejerking. Which it pretty much is, and which is cool if that's what you're into.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

its really not so much a paper about programming languages as it is a shot across the bow of some philosophers you probably don't care about

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

AWWNAW posted:

actually Python is the new Java

What makes you say that, Python is actually readable even if the whitespace enforcement is kind of piss. Still prefer Lua though.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Noyemi K posted:

What makes you say that

buffer overflows are impossible with it

vvv :frogsiren: it's a joke :frogsiren: ^^^

double riveting fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 5, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

double riveting posted:

buffer overflows are impossible with it

I didn't think they were possible with any interpreted language except maybe perl

also my opinion is meaningless because I actually think Ruby is good

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Nim is the new hipste

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nim isnt even a hipste yet though. nobody at all uses it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
im into some pretty obscure data types, you probably haven't heard of them

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Artisinal, free-range log structured b+ tree

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
b+spoke

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

available in all the latest cache colors, don't delay-slot!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
(epilepsy warning, skip to 1:51 for good stuff)

https://vimeo.com/26640738

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 6, 2015

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Gazpacho posted:

what the gently caress did i just watch

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i don't know what ontological means and i'm pretty sure i don't wanna

ontologies are the siren songs that lure unwary academics to their deaths where the waves of prolog dash against the hard rocks of reality, breaking into a foam of triplets

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gazpacho posted:

this is the first thing posted in this thread that makes sense

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

suffix posted:

ontologies are the siren songs that lure unwary academics to their deaths where the waves of prolog dash against the hard rocks of reality, breaking into a foam of triplets

scala and charybdis

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I don't get it

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I <3 Qt, mostly.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Max Facetime posted:

I don't get it

this is the mount gox guy? hahaha

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Qt is Good. I'm enjoying the signals/slots system far too much

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Qt takes forever to compile

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

lexing not parsing

lex me

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Qt's core library is woefully incomplete, and Unicode support is clearly a cargo cult imitation of Windows Unicode support, but I appreciate things like all data containers being copy-on-write shared pointers, and the QObject hierarchy, and Q_FOREACH, and how easy it is to make cross-thread calls with signals and slots. makes a lot of classic pre-C++11 woes non-issues, and who knows when the gently caress QNX/BlackBerry 10 is getting C++11 support

QtConcurrent is pretty basic and not terribly useful outside of map/reduce though. I find myself rolling my own threads with pthread a little too often

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Rust has hit 1.0. Top post on the HN thread is a faux apology by some self-serving remora.

Discuss.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

sarehu posted:

Rust has hit 1.0. Top post on the HN thread is a faux apology by some self-serving remora.

Discuss.

woohoo 1.0!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

sarehu posted:

Discuss.

can someone explain why I can't have both of these methods in rust

code:
variable()
variable(value)