Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
watching movies should be done in quiet, and especially not with friends or other human beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

they're like beer and wine snobs, but somehow loving dumber

beer and wine tend to have less of a scope for interpretation other than "i like it and sometimes i get all smiles when i'm drunk"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

'An opinion which over 85% of America completely agree with' = "trolling" ?

yes

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Lotka Volterra posted:

watching movies should be done in quiet, and especially not with friends or other human beings

and in proper lighting, with just the right amount of musty theatre smell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's a flippant statement but it certainly has truth in it. You're sitting in a dark room staring at a screen that fills your entire vision. You're there to either follow an interesting story, laugh at funny jokes, appreciate good acting/direction or to gawp at action. Most of the time you can't interrupt the experience without missing something of it.

Sports events? Every few minutes something interesting might happen, there are ad breaks every 30 seconds, you're drunk out of your mind and there's not a whole lot that requires your attention. You can shout, clap or talk all you like and nothing much is lost. In the UK people mostly use it as an excuse to drink and punch each other.

In a cinema, if you don't shut the gently caress up you are ruining it for someone else. Clapping during the credits? Stupid but fine. During the actual film? Get the gently caress out. Laughing at jokes is fine, that's a partially involuntary response and it's the intended result.

How little self control do you have if you shout out every time something entertaining happens on a screen?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lotka Volterra posted:

Of course how else can you appreciate the warmth and depth of the picture?

Plus the acoustics bouncing off of another person is such a hassle.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

dont worry, irishman, the pope's armies gonna be with you shortly

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

My Imaginary GF posted:

where is avs

avs would settle this bird debate

probably died of liver failure tbh

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mooyashi posted:

beer and wine tend to have less of a scope for interpretation other than "i like it and sometimes i get all smiles when i'm drunk"

idk, the mouth feel of this white american pale laeger is just not as good as this red-blue granger white laeger dunkle man

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
like you can say "i don't like blue moon because wheat and cardamom rubs me wrong but I like bell's 2 hearted because it's really hoppy" and people can disagree with your own personal taste but there's no maligning your interpretation

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

dont worry, irishman, the pope's armies gonna be with you shortly

I put on my sash and bowler hat

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

It's a flippant statement but it certainly has truth in it. You're sitting in a dark room staring at a screen that fills your entire vision. You're there to either follow an interesting story, laugh at funny jokes, appreciate good acting/direction or to gawp at action. Most of the time you can't interrupt the experience without missing something of it.

Sports events? Every few minutes something interesting might happen, there are ad breaks every 30 seconds, you're drunk out of your mind and there's not a whole lot that requires your attention. You can shout, clap or talk all you like and nothing much is lost. In the UK people mostly use it as an excuse to drink and punch each other.

In a cinema, if you don't shut the gently caress up you are ruining it for someone else. Clapping during the credits? Stupid but fine. During the actual film? Get the gently caress out. Laughing at jokes is fine, that's a partially involuntary response and it's the intended result.

How little self control do you have if you shout out every time something entertaining happens on a screen?

wow way to hate on minority culture zoux

kustomkarkommando posted:

I put on my sash and bowler hat

america could kick your pasty white rear end, tax dodger

all we need to do is increase the ozone hole and watch you burn

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
you could probably do a decent job communicating basic poo poo with people straight up speaking old english if you were sent back there, without even any special training

they would probably laugh at you for being too stupid to use endings right of course

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
although the chance of you drinking Riesling has a prettttty good chance of outing you as a mother of two or a South Carolina senator

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

had to check and yeah, someone actually posted that lol :v:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mooyashi posted:

although the chance of you drinking Riesling has a prettttty good chance of outing you as a mother of two or a South Carolina senator

or gay, oh you covered that already. carry on.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mooyashi posted:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

midnight movies are fun if you can find a party theatre that serves booze and only plays second run stuff

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

I take it you enjoyed the Avengers screening. It helps if you try to see a movie made for adults.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

you could probably do a decent job communicating basic poo poo with people straight up speaking old english if you were sent back there, without even any special training

they would probably laugh at you for being too stupid to use endings right of course

Tell me in old english how to nicely decline that water you've been offered because it hasn't been sterilized

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sheldon Cooper is not an exaggeration of autistic nerds.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nintendo Kid posted:

you'd get a lot of tenses wrong

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

mooyashi posted:

gently caress riesling

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fully 80% of goon problems with media are due to them not understanding how normal humans think and feel.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

midnight movies are fun if you can find a party theatre that serves booze and only plays second run stuff

just dont try to talk to the scowling guy in the corner eating peas with a knife, or he'll make such a post about you on the internet

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zOUX IS COPY PASTING

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
gewurztraminer can die in a fire too

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

eh, i don't think they could understand you well enough to converse at all.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

the one good quality of st louis is that theatres, by law, are required to serve budweiser

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

zoux posted:

Fully 80% of goon problems with media are due to them not understanding how normal humans think and feel.

guess what two words you could remove from this sentence and not change its accuracy

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

zOUX IS COPY PASTING

I'll believe what I like.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mooyashi posted:

i think I might be lindsey graham

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mooyashi posted:

guess what two words you could remove from this sentence and not change its accuracy

yeah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Goons also judge movies by their plot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like the number one criteria for good was "did the characters exhibit tactically sound battle techniques"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

the fuckers

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like here's the first line of the lord's prayer, roughly in old english: Fæder ūre þū þe eart on heofonum,

We'd likely be able to make out more of their speech and than vice-versa.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

2001: ASO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel is a young democracy. Where was America at on its 60th birthday?

In the mid-19th century. Israel currently exists in the 21st century, and if it's going to call itself a modern liberal democracy, it ought to behave like one.

• Locked thread