Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The way the word "literally" is now getting thrown around in place of a bunch of other words where it makes no sense. "Literally" is the only word you can't use figuratively!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Classmates who play music when you're trying to study. This dude in my chem class blasts lovely rap music (it was pretty funny when he played Air Supply though) out of the classroom speakers in the half hour before the teacher comes in. gently caress, just use headphones.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

People who inquire about a relatively uncommon problem, but then abruptly follow up with "NEVER MIND, FIXED IT, CLOSE THREAD". And then when you have the same problem as them, Google invariably leads you to a bunch of posts like this, except they're three years old and you still have no idea how they fixed the problem.

On a related note that has been driving me crazy recently, people who respond to things on stackoverflow or related sites and get overly pedantic about how you phrase the question. Instead of answering the question the thread just goes back and forth nitpicking about how they're using words wrong even though it's always very obvious what the asker really meant. In a lot of the cases the answerer is "technically" right, but that's the most annoying type of "right" to be. Just answer the drat question.

That, and people who don't know the answer and go the standard tech support route of making you do basic tests or tell them seemingly random information like the driver version of your video card when you ask why your keyboard isn't working or something. It seems like their goal is to buy time until you either get annoyed enough to abandon the thread or you figure it out on your own, in which case they do the quoted "never mind, close thread" thing. There are so many threads out there about problems that were never answered that get marked "SOLVED" because the people stopped posting.

I mean, you'd think with so many people using computers for both work and entertainment, t he internet would be a good source to get support, but 9 times out of 10 you're going to have to figure it out yourself.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Murphy Brownback posted:

That, and people who don't know the answer and go the standard tech support route of making you do basic tests or tell them seemingly random information like the driver version of your video card when you ask why your keyboard isn't working or something.

Yeah, when the question is something like "this thing no longer functions after updating its software", the answer should not require someone completely unrelated to the development of the software asking for a full sysinfo dump. If there's any piece of information in there that would diagnose the problem, then it relates to a known issue, and it's easier, faster, and more helpful to either point the person to the known issues tracker or say "You wouldn't happen to be using CabbageSoft Frobber, would you? There's a lot of people having conflicts between the latest update and Frobber, which is fixed by this patch or by switching to FreeFrobber which fixes the problem that led to this and many other conflicts." But holy poo poo no they expect you to run a full sysinfo, dxdiag, defrag, chkdsk, driver update, and a new round of everything before, and paste the results in before they'll give you the answer that has nothing to do with any of that data.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Crow Jane posted:

If this is actually a thing, it's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard.

My auntie does this. She has one of those picture frames that's, like, a bunch of tiny picture frames stuck together, and all but one of the 16 photos are people she actually knows or is related to. The last is the one that came with the frame, and she takes great delight in seeing what the most outrageous lie she can tell people about it is.

My auntie is weird.

ANyway, you know what's really annoying? When people are getting out of the way of a car/forklift/shopping trolley/angry bull and they do that weird little hop-jog that isn't actually any faster than just walking normally. Bonus points if they stop their hop-jog so that they're still in front of your loving car. I swear, the final day before my taxi badge expires will see the streets of Perth run red with the blood of the hopjoggers.

Hopjoggers will be a racial slur in 2017. BOOK IT.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

If this is actually a thing, it's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard.

The modern version of this is googling "attractive person" or "hot guy/gal" or whatever and posting a photo of someone you've never met on your facebook wall, claiming it's your new boyfriend/girlfriend.

Thank god for the search by image feature; it makes calling them out on it so easy :laugh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

People who carry around a photo of somebody they claim to know, but it's really just one of the pictures that comes with a picture frame.

Yeah, I know. She's a wallet model.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Disgusting Coward posted:

My auntie does this. She has one of those picture frames that's, like, a bunch of tiny picture frames stuck together, and all but one of the 16 photos are people she actually knows or is related to. The last is the one that came with the frame, and she takes great delight in seeing what the most outrageous lie she can tell people about it is.

My auntie is weird.

Your aunt is awesome, is more like it. I want to start doing this.

Potholes are the bane of my existence. Every week I drive on a state road that looks like it's been shelled, and I've had them kill two tires in five months. Every time I hit one I swear a little.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The way the word "literally" is now getting thrown around in place of a bunch of other words where it makes no sense. "Literally" is the only word you can't use figuratively!

hello

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
People who constantly google their own usernames so they can respond instantly when someone mentions them.

People who think pointing out that they have the same name as another person or thing is clever.

Bird owners.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:( i just thought it was a funny post to make i'm sorry

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

People who constantly google their own usernames so they can respond instantly when someone mentions them.

People who think pointing out that they have the same name as another person or thing is clever.

Bird owners.

people who are relentlessly hostile on the internet for no discernible reason

be nice to people it's free i promise

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Potholes are the bane of my existence. Every week I drive on a state road that looks like it's been shelled, and I've had them kill two tires in five months. Every time I hit one I swear a little.

You know what you must do

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:( i just thought it was a funny post to make i'm sorry

I laughed.

I told my partner, and he said we were all weird. Hater.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Murphy Brownback posted:

That, and people who don't know the answer and go the standard tech support route of making you do basic tests or tell them seemingly random information like the driver version of your video card when you ask why your keyboard isn't working or something. It seems like their goal is to buy time until you either get annoyed enough to abandon the thread or you figure it out on your own, in which case they do the quoted "never mind, close thread" thing. There are so many threads out there about problems that were never answered that get marked "SOLVED" because the people stopped posting.

I think this is also from people who want to be smart, but don't actually know anything. You know: The guy who only ever tells someone to post their specs, then fucks off to another thread to do the same thing.

Another peeve is when servers at work willingly don't know poo poo about food, especially things that they've been serving for years. I do off-season jobs in a restaurant when I'm not working our food truck, and the amount of times I answer the same question from the same server (WHO IS HOLDING A NOTEPAD AND PAPER) is amazing. On a graduation Saturday at one job (where we expected about 800 meals a la carte in about 8 hours), one server asked if the asiago ravioli with gorgonzola sauce could be done without cheese. We said no, it's in it and on it. He came back and asked again. This is while waiters, runners, and cooks are moving like crazy. We said no. Sure enough, the ticket comes in with no cheese. The chef, who was the nicest man I'd ever met told the FOH manager to send him home. A day where the server could expect to earn upwards of $1000 in tips, and he just couldn't suggest another thing to that customer.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
My stepmother believed that she alone understood medicine. When we first met, it went like this:

"You have depression, KK? My brother has depression."

"That's too bad. What does he take for it?"

"Take? You don't take anything. He gets electroshock every month." (This was the YOOL 2002.)

"What? I get meds."

"Then you don't really have depression."

Or

"I read in Prevention that if you eat broccoli and grapefruit your depression will go away. Have you done that, KK?"

"I'm allergic to broccoli."

"Well, if you ate it you wouldn't be. I don't believe in allergies. You just don't want to have good food."

Actually, her whole inbred family was a pet peeve. Every day I pray a pit will swallow them all.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

People who start crossing the road when there's clearly not enough time for them to make it over so they have to start jogging. They do this while staring directly at the approaching car and still decide to cross, and then stare awkwardly at the car as they nearly get their stupid rear end hit.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
When I'm being a pedestrian, I hate it when a driver at a stop sign waves me across instead of just going, especially if there's no traffic and I can just wait for them to go and then cross without holding any vehicles up. I just want to walk across the street leisurely, but them being there makes me feel like I have to do the hopjog, and I hate being a hopjogger! But of course I get weird about it half the time in order to avoid taking these drivers up on their courtesy. A few times I have pantomimed chilling on the corner engrossed in my phone in order to convey that I'm not going to cross the street ever, waiting for that moment when there are no cars and then, bam! I'm crossing the street mother fuckers! Ha ha you thought I didn't want to cross the street but I totally did!

And sometimes I just cross the street when someone waves me through like a normal person.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

Grocery stores that put all their produce as close to their front doors as possible. With the change in temperatures, I constantly see places swapping out rotten or moldy food because the store is air conditioned at like 75ºF, but people are constantly walking in and out during 90-100º+ degree days. Even worse, places like loving Walmart of all stores that will let the food get moldy and rotten and just sit there to spread to everything else. Mmm...those fuzzy green mushy strawberries look so appetizing, as do the rotten, bruised, lovely apples or withering oranges right across the aisle. :barf:

What lovely grocery store do you shop at that doesn't have an entrance room with the carts and ads before you go into the actual store itself?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PC games that put start you on lowest settings, and won't let you change the settings without forcing some kind of intro scene on you first. Watching cutscenes or do gameplay segments in 640x480 with no shadows or lighting is stupid.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

When people gently caress up subject-verb agreement for the words data and media

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

KoB posted:

People who take criticism as an insult.

This, especially in the workplace - tying in with that, people getting defensive or passive-aggressively bitchy when someone points out a flaw in their process, or suggests a different way of doing something. I left my previous job for that exact reason, 2 particular assholes on our networking/projects teams thought their poo poo didn't stink, and when something broke (because their poo poo DID stink) and it was called into question, they'd piss and moan and blame someone/something else. Worst part was they had tenure with the company and upper management would always take their side without even asking questions or looking into anything. The last times it happened before I quit, one incident was an email where I asked a question about a remote tool we used, another was asking about a ticket that sat on our networking team's board for 2 weeks while I had a client bitching me out every other day.

No surprise that I was the 9th person to give my notice and leave in less than 5 months. gently caress that place and gently caress those jerkoffs.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
Sanctimommies. You know what I'm talking about, the "What kind of mother would use disposable diapers, I guess I love Kaidlyn and MacKelznie too much to do that to them!" poo poo. I don't have any kids, but I'm at the age where a lot of my friends and acquaintances do, and some of them are real dicks about it. Once I posted on Facebook that I was having kind of a lovely day and this turbobitch posted this smug-rear end screed about how I actually don't know what it's like to have a bad day at all until I've woken up at 4AM with a feverish toddler. I wasn't even vaguebooking, I actually stated the reason why I was having a lovely day (caring for Alzheimer's patient and trying to keep a huge house clean) and IMO it's a pretty loving legitimate thing to feel lovely and complain about. Anyways, I love children, but I hate people who are smug pricks about basic biological processes.

Also I really loathe the phrase "fair enough." It never doesn't sound passive-aggressive.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Sanctimommies. You know what I'm talking about, the "What kind of mother would use disposable diapers, I guess I love Kaidlyn and MacKelznie too much to do that to them!" poo poo. I don't have any kids, but I'm at the age where a lot of my friends and acquaintances do, and some of them are real dicks about it. Once I posted on Facebook that I was having kind of a lovely day and this turbobitch posted this smug-rear end screed about how I actually don't know what it's like to have a bad day at all until I've woken up at 4AM with a feverish toddler. I wasn't even vaguebooking, I actually stated the reason why I was having a lovely day (caring for Alzheimer's patient and trying to keep a huge house clean) and IMO it's a pretty loving legitimate thing to feel lovely and complain about. Anyways, I love children, but I hate people who are smug pricks about basic biological processes.

Also I really loathe the phrase "fair enough." It never doesn't sound passive-aggressive.

I hate this kind of one-upsmanship bullshit with a passion - seems especially prevalent with lovely parents that have to make it sound like their lives are worse off than anyone else's. Why did you have children in the first loving place if all you're going to do is bitch and moan and use them to compare how terrible your life is to everyone else? Those are the types I troll mercilessly when they get uppity with me, whether it's a "boy, sure did feel good to sleep in all night" or "man, it feels good to be able to do what I want, whenever I want, without thinking about babysitters, day care, etc."

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who don't understand sales.

From the last page, but ugh, this drives me nuts.

My workplace has a big sale every friday, and every single week on saturday they put signs out front for the next friday's sale and ALL WEEK we will get people coming through complaining because, they thought that sale was today, can't you make an exception, they drove all the way from *town 3 hours away* just for that one item and waah waaaah waaah. IT SAYS FRIDAY. IN BIG LETTERS. ON THE SIGN. How did you stare at it long enough to know exactly which item to look for in the store, but didn't read the loving day?

On that note: people who stare at text without reading it, then get annoyed at YOU when they gently caress up. When people slide a card to pay, the screen comes up, "enter PIN or press green for credit". About 80% of our loving customers will sit there and stare at the screen for a full minute before either pressing the red "cancel" button or asking me how to run it as credit. HOW did you not read the SINGLE sentence on the screen you're staring directly at? And then they get all flustered and act like I'm an rear end in a top hat for not holding their hand through the whole transaction and reading the single line of text to them. Similarly, if they slide a card before I'm done ringing up items, the screen shows "please wait for cashier." Every single time someone looks at me hopelessly and whines, "it says please wait for cashier..." as if they have no idea what that could possibly mean, I want to rip my loving hair out.

Also, one of my absolute worst pet peeves is when somebody gets angry at me for doing something that they do all the time, or tries to bitch me out for being bad at something that they are WAY worse at. Like, ok, I know I am bad at staying in touch but how the gently caress are you gonna get all preachy at me when you haven't texted/called/emailed me for months on end, and never answer on the rare occasions I DO try to reach out? My step-mom is the absolute worst at this.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I hate the "BEING A MOM IS THE HARDEST JOB EVER" attitude. It's not. It's probably not even in the top 50%. I always wonder what firefighters, coal miners or lumberjacks think of some sheltered suburban mom who thinks a stressful day is when the neighbour mows the lawn and wakes up little baby Astrid. I doubt they have that much sympathy.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Spalec posted:

I hate the "BEING A MOM IS THE HARDEST JOB EVER" attitude. It's not. It's probably not even in the top 50%. I always wonder what firefighters, coal miners or lumberjacks think of some sheltered suburban mom who thinks a stressful day is when the neighbour mows the lawn and wakes up little baby Astrid. I doubt they have that much sympathy.

My mother was one of those kinds of mothers. I remember her beating the poo poo out of me so bad at one point she cut my sibling's face open with her engagement ring. If facebook existed at the time she'd be posting non stop about how hard it is to be a stay at home mom and how nobody understands all the things she does for her kids - like throwing chicken nuggets and fries in the oven for dinner every night and drinking on the couch while I fell down the stairs. The people posting about how good of a mom they are rarely are.

That's my pet peeve is people who focus on other people's success (or failures) rather than being happy with what they're doing. Endless posting on facebook about "why does this person get more jobs than me?!" when they don't even do the jobs they already have. Just endless whining and bitching. Get over yourselves and do something before you whine at least.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
The woman who told me that only those of us with feverish children know what a bad day is truly like is one of the most sheltered, privileged people I know. Her entire schtick is that she's a low-income single mother, so she automatically has it worse than anybody else and how dare anybody complain about anything else. She rarely has a conversation with someone where she doesn't bring up how hard her life is--I've known her for five years and I can only think of a couple interactions with her where that didn't happen. It is technically true that she is a low-income single mother, but that's a really selective interpretation of her situation. Her actual paychecks are small, yes, but she has virtually unlimited flex time to get her work done--we're talking in-person on-site work obligations of maybe six hours a month, the rest of it she can get done whenever she has time, at home, with extremely flexible deadlines for the most part. She has excellent free health care from this same job, and free international travel too. Her ex husband is a corporate research scientist and pays extremely generous child support, on time every month, and also pays out of pocket for a nanny to come over to take care of the kid. When she travels internationally, she has a close family member who is willing and able to accompany her out of their own pocket on these trips to provide free childcare. I know quite a few single mothers and none of them have it even remotely as easy as she does. Also I feel pretty loving bad for that kid, since at his age there is no way he hasn't picked up on her constant stream of "being a parent is sooo hard this kid is suchhhhh a burden nobody is more miserable than I am."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
People who respond to genuine pleas for advice with snarky/sarcastic/impossible-to-achieve bullshit.

example #1:
"Should I buy glasses from Warby Parker or Zenni Optical?"
"Get LASIK, you nerd, hahaha"

example #2:
"I've outgrown my friend, how do I friend-breakup with her?"
"Stab her in the face and piss on her corpse, hahaha"

God, so loving annoying.

Also, people who say "amazeballs." Barf.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who respond to genuine pleas for advice with snarky/sarcastic/impossible-to-achieve bullshit.

example #1:
"Should I buy glasses from Warby Parker or Zenni Optical?"
"Get LASIK, you nerd, hahaha"

example #2:
"I've outgrown my friend, how do I friend-breakup with her?"
"Stab her in the face and piss on her corpse, hahaha"

God, so loving annoying.

Also, people who say "amazeballs." Barf.

This reminds me of one with gun enthusiasts. I have an interest in antique rifles, and doofuses always compare them to modern ones when I express interest in older guns.

"I got to shoot a C96 today. It was a lot of fun."
"That's stupid, just get a Glock."

"Man, I'd love to try firing a BAR one day."
"Don't. Fire an AR-15, instead."

It's usually not on the same wavelength.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bradzilla posted:

What lovely grocery store do you shop at that doesn't have an entrance room with the carts and ads before you go into the actual store itself?

What kind of weird shop has a foyer?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Ozz81 posted:

I hate this kind of one-upsmanship bullshit with a passion - seems especially prevalent with lovely parents that have to make it sound like their lives are worse off than anyone else's. Why did you have children in the first loving place if all you're going to do is bitch and moan and use them to compare how terrible your life is to everyone else? Those are the types I troll mercilessly when they get uppity with me, whether it's a "boy, sure did feel good to sleep in all night" or "man, it feels good to be able to do what I want, whenever I want, without thinking about babysitters, day care, etc."

Yep, that's what I do when the "woe is mom" crowd gets after me with its "oh, it must be so nice to be able to take vacations/stay thin/spend money on yourself/whatever glamorous poo poo childfree people are supposed to be doing for themselves." I won't pretend my life is oh-so-hard, I have a great job and a good family and friends and a loving boyfriend, but other than defaulting to kids in my 30s, my life is fairly average. I go to work, I do my hobbies, I pay my bills. But when the sad-eyed mommies whine about how they WISH they could spend an hour at the gym, I just go "oh, I know, exercise is SO FUN! I'm so lucky to have functioning birth control!" or "yeah, I totally spent sixty bucks on saltwater taffy last weekend and ate it while sitting naked in my palatial estate off the coast with my loving sexy hunk of a boyfriend!" and "oh yeah, no way could I run this marathon with a kid stuck to my legs!" It's all bullshit, but you'll never convince a sanctimommy that you might, possibly, be tired after running for 4+ hours or poring over the intellectual property section of a contract for twelve hours. I could be separating twins conjoined at the brain for thirty hours and I would still somehow never be as tired as someone who wipes snot and butts all day.

Spalec posted:

Basically this right here.

My favorite mom is a coworker who is very real about her kids. It's obvious that she loves them, and she definitely cuts her day off at eight hours on the nose so she can go home and handle kid stuff. But she has no problems with telling us what little pains in the rear end they are.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tiggum posted:

What kind of weird shop has a foyer?

There are places where the air is so toxic, a sort of "oxygen mud room" is required for grocery stores to safely present uncovered produce to consumers. Where the environment is viciously overpressurized to keep dangerous particulates out of the store, sort of like a reverse Level III+ biosafety mechanism for places where people store anthrax and Bubonic plague. You grab a cart and glance over at a sign--BOGO on chicken tenders--when suddenly your head is wracked with a piercing pain and your sinuses feel like they're about to split open like rotten fruit in a microwave. It's like going from sea level to cruising altitude in five seconds. You yawn and work your jaw until your eardrums snap and the pain subsides. Welcome to Fresno.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Also I feel pretty loving bad for that kid, since at his age there is no way he hasn't picked up on her constant stream of "being a parent is sooo hard this kid is suchhhhh a burden nobody is more miserable than I am."

Sounds like my mother. When I was born, I came fully equipped with some complications that meant she could no longer work because she had to care for me. There's nothing quite like hearing your mother tell your aunt or your father that she can't go have fun with her friends or go back to the job she loved because she's "the one stuck at home with the sick kid."

The poor kid already knows he's the cause pf his mother's misery, and doesn't know what to do to fix it. And nothing he can do or will ever do will be right.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My pet peeve is roommates, specifically ones who let the house get loving disgusting and then have a big Roommate Sit-Down to tell us that "we've all been slacking, all of us, and we need to pick up after ourselves more". Maybe if I wasn't the only one washing dishes, wiping stovetops, and vacuuming carpets you wouldn't be panicking about being reamed by the rental company for wrecking the house you put your name on the lease for (haha suckers).

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There are places where the air is so toxic, a sort of "oxygen mud room" is required for grocery stores to safely present uncovered produce to consumers. Where the environment is viciously overpressurized to keep dangerous particulates out of the store, sort of like a reverse Level III+ biosafety mechanism for places where people store anthrax and Bubonic plague. You grab a cart and glance over at a sign--BOGO on chicken tenders--when suddenly your head is wracked with a piercing pain and your sinuses feel like they're about to split open like rotten fruit in a microwave. It's like going from sea level to cruising altitude in five seconds. You yawn and work your jaw until your eardrums snap and the pain subsides. Welcome to Fresno.

I'm so glad I moved away from there.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

KoB posted:

People who take criticism as an insult.

At the moment, this. I am co-editing a collection of essays with a colleague right now, and some of the chapter drafts we've been sent are appalling. I've been making quite a number of constructive comments for revision on a number of them, and my colleague keeps freaking out. 'ZOMG, you can't make all those comments on Dr XYZ's chapter! She's like a really good friend of mine, and she'll be so insulted!!!'

Dr XYZ might be your buddy, but she also sucks when it comes to writing a chapter for a peer-reviewed publication. It gets revised or it doesn't get included (because the publisher's peer-reviewers are going to reject this mess when they see it, so it's better that we make suggestions at this stage so that she can revise).

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I dislike small yappy dogs that have to run up and bark at EVERYTHING that's strange to them. I'm fine with small dogs that act calm and cool, but yappy ones push all my buttons. :orks:

Also, people that let their cats go outside for no good reason.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

Khazar-khum posted:

Sounds like my mother. When I was born, I came fully equipped with some complications that meant she could no longer work because she had to care for me. There's nothing quite like hearing your mother tell your aunt or your father that she can't go have fun with her friends or go back to the job she loved because she's "the one stuck at home with the sick kid."

The poor kid already knows he's the cause pf his mother's misery, and doesn't know what to do to fix it. And nothing he can do or will ever do will be right.

I'm sorry man :( My mother was also raised by a Mommy Martyr, and she had to go through a lot of therapy to learn how to accept the fact that she didn't ruin her mother's life, that the problem was with my grandma and not her, and that she's a good person who is entitled to live their life without feeling like a burden. Children should never feel like they're a burden merely for existing.

Thread content: I live on a street with one-car driveways, so street parking is pretty common, and someone ALWAYS parks directly in front of my mailbox, which means that I don't get mail that day because my letter carrier is a lazy sack of poo poo who won't get out of the truck.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
People who leave long, meandering voicemails and then cram in their phone number at the very end so quickly and unexpectedly that I can't write it all down and I have to listen to the whole thing again. This is mildly offset by guests with hilarious novelty emails. Booking someone who's getting major, life-threatening surgery done, and their email is, like, "hamsterfart99" will never not be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

People that insist on telling you without provocation any time something unfortunate/mundane/stupid happened to them. Especially because its obvious they want a response from you to feel bad for them or comment or laugh or whatever.
I have a coworker who takes the same lunch time as I do and she will just not shut up.
:v: *sigh*" Well I have no car for the rest of the week"
:geno: *I look up from my lunch/book/quiet activity* "Oh?"
:v: "Yeah well I had to take it to the mechanic because of blah blah and my husband said this and blah blah and then this happened and then and then and then"
Most of the time she will just launch into whatever stupid story it is without me saying anything at all.