Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

to be somewhat contrarian, within the books canon, it shouldn't have happened, but again no one gives a gently caress

yeah, I guess to me it doesnt matter because i havent read them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Attn. dad chat white noise brigade, please stop engaging migf thanks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

yes

i am sorry

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

If a state or other actor claiming state authority does not recognize your existance, all actions undertaken during the period of your unrecognized existance do not exist.

Good to know that the Cultural Revolution and Chinese aid during the Vietnam War never happened.

But I'm bored and it's amusing.

editvvvvv GAH

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
whats been happenin

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

euphronius posted:

no, that's wrong.

CGI wankery is fine as long as the movie doesn't take itself too seriously (AVATAR) or isn't an assault on the senses (Michael Bay Movies).

Like, the new trek movies are gorgeous and fan servicey, but sense i am not epileptic, don't bother me. while the above movies are... yeah

like michael bay managed to ruin giant fighting robots for ever. like he managed to ruin a movie with giant fighting talking robot voiced by loving leonard nimoy going "I AM A PRIME, I DO NOT TAKE ORDERS FROM YOU"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zoux posted:

no

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hence the importance of recognizing the existance of Israel on Israeli terms: It is a logical contradiction to claim a state os engaged in policies against your institutions while also proclaiming those actions do not exist.

Hence, all Israeli actions against Hamas, whatever form they may take, are legal, since Hamas does not recognize the existance of those actions.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Lotka Volterra posted:

yeah, I guess to me it doesnt matter because i havent read them

yeah that was my point. the people this is show is made for, aren't the dedicated book readers and that's perfectly fine. no one would watch this poo poo if it 100% the books.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Good to know that the Cultural Revolution and Chinese aid during the Vietnam War never happened.

You son of a bitch, I was just about to post this.:argh:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

yeah that was my point. the people this is show is made for, aren't the dedicated book readers and that's perfectly fine. no one would watch this poo poo if it 100% the books.

No, but it still felt like a bit of a letdown. The show built up how disciplined and awesome they are when fighting in formations. And then we get...whatever that fight was.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

no, that's wrong.

when I go to a movie it's for the story/plot/purpose the filmmaker meant to convey. Avatars purpose is to show off CGI effects with a shellacking of plot on top

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

hey, here's an entire episode of dany making GBS threads in a field, ENJOY

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mooyashi posted:

what the gently caress

i know, raskolnikov is almost as dumb as his namesake

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Raskolnikov38 posted:

when I go to movie it's for the story/plot/purpose the filmmaker meant to convey. Avatars purpose is to show off CGI effects with a shellacking of plot on top

have you never heard of death of the author, you pleb?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Never seen avatar

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

But I'm bored and it's amusing.

editvvvvv GAH

We are discussing democracy, not communist totalitarianism.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

hey, here's an entire episode of dany making GBS threads in a field, ENJOY

I don't think there's anybody here who would dispute that the show is better than the books.

Lotka Volterra posted:

death of the author

Arthur Miller's little-produced sequel.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

You son of a bitch, I was just about to post this.:argh:

No, but it still felt like a bit of a letdown. The show built up how disciplined and awesome they are when fighting in formations. And then we get...whatever that fight was.

Hellenic formations are poo poo against Roman tactics, news at 38 bce.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Majorian posted:

Which is a more fair assessment than "but but but in the Book"

I think it works because we're going to see Danny put on her heels. She's always been able to count on the people around her for her strength (even when she's burning Drago, she's still LEANING on him) so we might get some decent development out of her.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Effectronica posted:

i know, raskolnikov is almost as dumb as his namesake

oh i guess i saw that without context and you almost got added to the_wall.xls

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

when I go to movie it's for the story/plot/purpose the filmmaker meant to convey. Avatars purpose is to show off CGI effects with a shellacking of plot on top

you go to movies for the wrong thing. They are visual art. That's like enjoying paintings because of the history and backstory of the subjects. I really like this painting because the building in it has a neat story. Or judging a novel on its font the editor chose and its binding and margin thinkness.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

nutranurse posted:

whats been happenin

my goddamned loving smartphone broke :smith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What was the plot of Tree of Life?? one of the better movies of the past few years? Or the plot of INLAND EMPIRE?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

you go to movies for the wrong thing. They are visual art. That's like enjoying paintings because of the history and backstory of the subjects. I really like this painting because the building in it has a neat story. Or judging a novel on its font the editor chose and its binding and margin thinkness.

yeah but movies are not paintings and unless the visually compelling images are strung together in a fashion that makes me care about the spectacle then why should i sit for 90 minutes to get barraged by them

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Which is a more fair assessment than "but but but in the Book"

I think it works because we're going to see Danny put on her heels. She's always been able to count on the people around her for her strength (even when she's burning Drago, she's still LEANING on him) so we might get some decent development out of her.

Sure, and I get that. I'm fine with Grey Worm dying. Less happy about Barristan dying, since he's awesome and I like him better than Jorah. But I do admit it will probably serve the plot overall.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

zoux posted:

Never seen avatar
It's a beautiful depiction of a man with ham for hands.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

What was the plot of Tree of Life?? one of the better movies of the past few years? Or the plot of INLAND EMPIRE?

the truman show, without an ending

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

euphronius posted:

Tree of Life was good? cool, always was curious about it but didn't want to waste time if it was a piece of crap.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Majorian posted:

I don't think there's anybody here who would dispute that the show is better than the books.

I view them as completely separate.

The one thing the books do so well that I think the show sometimes falls flat on (re: Tyrion) is that GRRM's greatest gift is not getting enamored with his characters. He's willing to make us hate them and really destroy who they start out to be (through their own undoing), and the show is ... well they've fallen short sometimes.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

yeah but movies are not paintings and unless the visually compelling images are strung together in a fashion that makes me care about the spectacle then why should i sit for 90 minutes to get barraged by them

Have you ever read a painting, paranoid randroid?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Majorian posted:

Sure, and I get that. I'm fine with Grey Worm dying. Less happy about Barristan dying, since he's awesome and I like him better than Jorah. But I do admit it will probably serve the plot overall.

I don't think they'll do either of those things, but I could be wrong.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

I take it you hate the realist schools then

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like movies are visual art but theyre also a storytelling medium and if your story sucks then you failed at half your commission right there

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

My Imaginary GF posted:

Have you ever read a painting, paranoid randroid?

is this some star wars eu poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

because movies communicate meaning and emotion and whatever you are looking for through acting and images and music and composition and editing ALONG WITH the plot.

the plot is important just not paramount.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

like movies are visual art but theyre also a storytelling medium and if your story sucks then you failed at half your commission right there

depends what your story is

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think they'll do either of those things, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, the latter has been confirmed.:smith:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

zoux posted:

but I wasnt even here

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
movies are theatre for the masses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU