Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

The Sharmat posted:

Mostly Ciri's apparent age in TW3 and the unlikelihood they'd include a new plot involving rampant time travel at this point in the series.

M2: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Every video I have seen has some horrid culling and pop in issues. Is this being optimized? Because holy poo poo it's terrible.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Sharmat posted:

Mostly Ciri's apparent age in TW3 and the unlikelihood they'd include a new plot involving rampant time travel at this point in the series.

Considering they've already primed everyone for time travel with the twist at the end of the first game, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it makes a return.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CottonWolf posted:

Considering they've already primed everyone for time travel with the twist at the end of the first game, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it makes a return.

I think you overestimate the proportion of people playing TW3 or, hell even TW2 that have actually completed The Witcher.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

M2: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

I don't know what those stand for but you never answered us on whether The Wild Hunt armors look as awesome as that concept art. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING!?!

He's not even in th game is he...

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

The Sharmat posted:

I dunno, what with the almost certain time travel implications of the end of the first game I don't see why they wouldn't include it more if they wanted to. And really it isn't about referencing the first game for it to make sense, all they need to say is "sources can now also time travel. ok? ok." and I think most people would get it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
How would they work that reference into the game though?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I don't know but it wouldn't necessarily be apart of the main quest and therefore be something that must be explained. I'm not expecting it or really anything to with Alvin to show up in the game but it's in the realm of possibility.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought they just put Alvin into W1 because they didn't want to introduce that whole Ciri dynamic but wanted to play around with her time travel powers anyway.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
TW1 is a bunch of callbacks to the books with a surprisingly well done twist snuck in at the end.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Wasn't the first Witcher game built on the same engine as NWN? If I'm remembering that right, I'd just like to take a moment to congratulate CDPR on doing so well with so little and coming so far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my favorite things regarding the books and Ciri, is the true origin of the plague. I love that poo poo!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Wasn't the first Witcher game built on the same engine as NWN? If I'm remembering that right, I'd just like to take a moment to congratulate CDPR on doing so well with so little and coming so far.

Yeah it's pretty cool how they started from humble beginnings, programming on Slav rock computers.
Now they can downgrade with the best of 'em.

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
Ciri should be 21 but she looks older in the trailers because of the harsh life she's had. The question of course is what she's been up to these 5-6 years, living in other literary worlds.

On the other hand Alvin's personality is nothing like Ciri's, and he is also completely different to Pavetta and Calanthe. He was constructed as a random peasant boy who happens to be a Source.

quote:

One of my favorite things regarding the books and Ciri, is the true origin of the plague. I love that poo poo!
I think it was the other way around, she accidentally spread it from our world to hers.

Tony_Montana fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 4, 2015

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

How is the combat in this game going to be handled this time around? I am getting Witcher 3 for free cause of a videocard deal and I want to like it because hey free, but I found witcher 2's combat to be atrociously boring and easy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tony_Montana posted:

Ciri should be 21 but she looks older in the trailers because of the harsh life she's had. The question of course is what she's been up to these 5-6 years, living in other literary worlds.

I don't remember, did she ever get perfect control over her teleports? I guess she must have considering her dodge in the game is a teleport.
So who knows how old she actually is, she could have just gone back in time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tony_Montana posted:

Ciri should be 21 but she looks older in the trailers because of the harsh life she's had. =

Early 20's would actually have been my guess looking at the Witcher 3 version. I mean yeah she has white hair and some scars but besides that she looks quite young.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Pigbottom posted:

I know they stated already that they are originaly a pc dev and all, but the fact that nobody has been able to try the game with kb+m yet makes me feel terribly uneasy.
Not trying to be pc master race here. It`s just that lately it seems like developers now see kb+m support as an afterthought.

I assume it's less an afterthought and more about needing the console controls polished and done before 'going gold.' The PC version would've had at least a couple of extra weeks.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

May I submit that those women whose faces we can't see plus generic bodies aren't Triss and Yennefer at all, but two completely different women?

alex314 posted:

I think so too, probably two grateful women, or paid professionals.

The assumption of the other one being Triss is merely a product of my wild imagination, but but, the woman on the left is wearing the very same bra top as Yennefer in that unicorn scene. At least the patterns on them seem to match. I have studied these pixels. :captainpop:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CottonWolf posted:

Neogaf was quoting a developer off the official forums saying that they'd be PS4 footage next week. Also, at least some outlets are getting PS4 copies for review, so they must be pretty confident in that version.

This post was on Sunday. By "next week" did you mean this week we're in now?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tony_Montana posted:

I think it was the other way around, she accidentally spread it from our world to hers.

That's what I was referring to: the Catriona plague.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Robutt posted:

^^ Godammit can someone please explain to me why we don't get to see Geralt's dong? We are just being teased at this point; whip it out all ready.

I wonder if it's as covered with scars as the rest of him.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

How do the games fall into the books storyline? I wouldnt mind reading some of them since it seems like some decent storytelling.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

queeb posted:

How do the games fall into the books storyline? I wouldnt mind reading some of them since it seems like some decent storytelling.

All the games are set after the last book. Essentially the games are sequels.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Really? I was under the impression they were an alternate timeline to the books essentially.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the way I've heard it described is that CDProject bough the rights to the characters/world because they really liked them and wanted to make games with them, not because they wanted to continue or retell the story or anything like that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Feenix posted:

This post was on Sunday. By "next week" did you mean this week we're in now?

Yeah. At some point this week, they said. (I thought it was Saturday, when I posted that. The fact that today was a bank holiday threw me off.)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Really? I was under the impression they were an alternate timeline to the books essentially.

No, they most definitely take place after the events of the final book. Stuff from the books features in the games, characters from the books appear, recognize Geralt, and make references to events from the books, they just give Geralt amnesia in order to acclimate players who haven't played the books. To spoil the end of the book series, Geralt is killed by a mob of humans while defending a group of dwarves, I believe it was. The games take place after this, with most people assuming Geralt died, but he wakes up with amnesia, which is cured by the end of Witcher 2

Turin Turambar posted:

They are an "alternate timeline" in the sense they aren't "canon", for the author the story is the one he wrote in the books, that's it.

Yeah, the games basically operate on Star Wars EU rules.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 4, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They are an "alternate timeline" in the sense they aren't "canon", for the author the story is the one he wrote in the books, that's it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You haven't answered the most important question yet; does that dude from the Wild Hunt still have the kickass armour or not??!?!

Looks like some of that other concept armor is still around.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, the alcoholic that hates video games but isn't above cashing in on the newfound popularity by writing another book doesn't consider them canon.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah, the alcoholic that hates video games but isn't above cashing in on the newfound popularity by writing another book doesn't consider them canon.

Polish book writers are either alcoholics (Sapkowski, Pilipiuk, Komuda?) or right wing assholes (Piekara, Ziemkiewicz). Or Jacek Dukaj, who is like second coming of Lem and beyond awesome.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Polish people in general are those things.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Can Geralt get this mustache-bangs hairstyle in the game?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

alex314 posted:

Polish book writers are either alcoholics (Sapkowski, Pilipiuk, Komuda?) or right wing assholes (Piekara, Ziemkiewicz). Or Jacek Dukaj, who is like second coming of Lem and beyond awesome.

If by "books" you mean fantasy/scifi then yeah. Komuda's in the second camp, I think. Dukaj's way overrated.

Sapkowski really should stop writing, he's terrible now. But he also delivered one of the best and most comprehensive books on fantasy as a genre, from the earliest legends to XX century.

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Polish people in general are those things.

Classy.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the games basically operate on Star Wars EU rules.

So... Retconned out of existence by Disney?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

FuriousGeorge posted:

Can Geralt get this mustache-bangs hairstyle in the game?

If that was 5.99 paid DLC I would pony up

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

From watching the Gamespot vid on character creation/animating, I believe technically you could put any of the hair styles in the game on Geralt's model. Wether that's an option though is yet to be seen.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I'm trying so hard not to get hype for this but if it plays half as good as it looks then fuuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I just hope they take witcher sense off the L3 button, I've lost count of the number of times I've gotten frozen in place caressing my amulet while something chops me to pieces because I got a little too frantic trying to dive away from that something and clicked the stick in by accident.

• Locked thread