Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are three. The Magicians, The Magician King and The Magician's Land. The third one wraps up a bunch of stuff about Fillory and features the return of Niffin Alice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

I really liked some episodes of season 7 and 8 (Tikka to Ride is loving fantastic) even if on the whole the seasons aren't as good as the first 6. I haven't rewatched X since it first aired but aside from a couple of jokes falling completely flat it was pretty good and I'll watch these new ones as well.

Yeah, absolutely. "Tikka To Ride" and "Blue" are the highlights of season seven for me. Not sure about season eight. Probably "Cassandra", "Krytie TV" and "Pete". It's been ages since I watched either of those seasons, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basically when Rimmer leaves and new Kochanski shows up is a good place to stop.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Last night's episode of China, IL might be one of the best they've done thus far. I wish more people would watch the show.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

Basically when Rimmer leaves and new Kochanski shows up is a good place to stop.

Why exactly? I mean some of the episodes past that aren't classics but I can't remember any that I outright regret watching and even episodes that don't work have some great gags/neat science fictiony concepts in them.

Even Back to Earth :colbert:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

IRQ posted:

But yeah I am stoked for Defiance to come back. That dumb show continues to be way better than it has any right to be and I want all of its silly aristocratic alien mafioso bullshit and earthling miner mob drama right goddamn now.

I have never been able to put my finger on it exactly.. I think it's the influence of that Farscape dude. The aliens and their particular "things" and how people treat each other and the general wavelength of ~interesting ethics~ and all in a fun way.

Defiance is just weird in that particular Farscape way. It's a way I like a lot, it turns out. It's one of those shows where everyone seems like a B- actor when it starts and then BAM, I care about everyone, and the universe is really interesting and different and +50 points, NOBODY IS DUMB, and I think that goes a long way with me. Yes, there are SECRETS, but people share when they can. There are some missteps in last season via that particular point, but I still find that I am super excited for it to come back. :dance:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So you're saying that's its as good as Farscape?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

So you're saying that's its as good as Farscape?

It's not as self aware in its goofiness as Farscape was. I guess the answer to that question depends on why you like Farscape.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrFlibble posted:

Why exactly? I mean some of the episodes past that aren't classics but I can't remember any that I outright regret watching and even episodes that don't work have some great gags/neat science fictiony concepts in them.

Even Back to Earth :colbert:

Basically it fucks with the entire dynamic of the crew.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I've just finally gotten around to watching Breaking Bad, and am really enjoying Saul Goodman. I know the spin off is based around him, and was wondering if it was safe to check out a bit of the spinoff in between breaking bad episodes, or is there stuff in there that could spoil me?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Woo hoo! Got this at work. I've seen Orphan Black being shot around town, hope to see some of this series filming too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Last night's episode of China, IL might be one of the best they've done thus far. I wish more people would watch the show.

The funniest part was at the end where Babycakes made the gay marriage metaphor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

LibbyM posted:

I've just finally gotten around to watching Breaking Bad, and am really enjoying Saul Goodman. I know the spin off is based around him, and was wondering if it was safe to check out a bit of the spinoff in between breaking bad episodes, or is there stuff in there that could spoil me?

The very first episode has a scene that takes place after Breaking Bad ends.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrAristocrates posted:

The very first episode has a scene that takes place after Breaking Bad ends.

The rest of it is a prequel but you'd get spoiled on character(s) that eventually showup in BrBa, and that's not taking into account where Saul could go in S2. I'd steer clear of Better Cal Saul until you finish BrBa.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
There is nothing in Better Call Saul that will spoil or diminish the experience of Breaking Bad. Its not like Breaking Bad hinges on the big reveal that *gasp* Taco is a dangerous, violent drug dealer. The show establishes that in literally his first appearance.

So, really, just watch what you want and don't let these ninnies scare you for fear of spoilers that don't exist.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Binary Logic posted:

Woo hoo! Got this at work. I've seen Orphan Black being shot around town, hope to see some of this series filming too.

It must be funny living in or around Toronto, looking out the window and seeing lovely movies and TV shows filming everywhere.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

It must be funny living in or around Toronto, looking out the window and seeing lovely movies and TV shows filming everywhere.
It must be funny living in Toronto, looking out the window and seeing New York, Chicago, L.A., Detroit, Seattle, and Hong Kong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It must be funny living in Toronto, looking out the window and seeing New York, Chicago, L.A., Detroit, Seattle, and Hong Kong.

Isn't that Vancouver you're thinking of? Which also is the location of several distant planets.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

Isn't that Vancouver you're thinking of? Which also is the location of several distant planets.
Is it? I thought it was Toronto, but Vancouver also makes sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

The rest of it is a prequel but you'd get spoiled on character(s) that eventually showup in BrBa, and that's not taking into account where Saul could go in S2. I'd steer clear of Better Cal Saul until you finish BrBa.

Yeah, I'd avoid it. There's not explicit spoilers or anything but there's thematic issues at play. If Better Call Saul gives you background on a character who is introduced as mysterious or with questions in Breaking Bad than you're screwing up the narrative right there. If Breaking Bad wants you to ask "Is this guy a good guy or a bad guy?" and BCS gives you an answer on that then that's no good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is it? I thought it was Toronto, but Vancouver also makes sense.

Guillermo Del Toro says he plans to make all his movies in Toronto. They used a huge film set for Pacific Rim there.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
My Two Dads made more sense when I assumed it was NBC cribbing Full House. Knowing they both premiered the same week makes me glad I wasn't around for the dumpster fire that was television in the late 80s.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That goddamn overstuffed plush car chair...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Its not like Breaking Bad hinges on the big reveal that *gasp* Taco is a dangerous, violent drug dealer. The show establishes that in literally his first appearance.

You just made me imagine Taco from The League as a dangerous, violent drug dealer in Breaking Bad and I never knew I wanted anything so badly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JohnSherman posted:

My Two Dads made more sense when I assumed it was NBC cribbing Full House. Knowing they both premiered the same week makes me glad I wasn't around for the dumpster fire that was television in the late 80s.

You shut your whore mouth and watch some Perfect Strangers right this instant.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

It's not as self aware in its goofiness as Farscape was. I guess the answer to that question depends on why you like Farscape.

Well I loving love it. My favorite sci fi show, so I'm glad to be going into this thing with low expectations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JohnSherman posted:

Yep real lovely shows like Cheers.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

JohnSherman posted:

It's no surprise you showed up after trash was cooked.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep real lovely shows like Cheers.

Oh absolutely. Cheers is a show I despise.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Well I loving love it. My favorite sci fi show, so I'm glad to be going into this thing with low expectations.

Same here, Farscape's probably my all time favorite scifi show. Defiance isn't as good as it, but it's still a very enjoyable show that has some of the same qualities that made Farscape what it was. It's only had two seasons so far too, maybe it'll keep getting better and reach Farscape's level.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Rockne S. O'Bannon's first series before he did Farscape was, um, seaQuest DSV, wasn't it?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
He got started on the Twilight Zone reboot back in 1985.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rockne S. O'Bannon's first series before he did Farscape was, um, seaQuest DSV, wasn't it?

SeaQuest was an awesome show and middle-school me will not hear any different.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There were also a lot of great writers and minds behind the show other than Bannon. Brian Henson, Justin Monjo, even the star wrote one of my fav eps.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

SeaQuest was an awesome show and middle-school me will not hear any different.

I never watched it myself, but I remember someone telling me that there was an episode where they went to Hell and killed Satan.
Also a dolphin named Darwin, or something?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I remember liking Seaquest when I was a kid. I also remember it not being on the air for ages, and then coming back with an inexplicably different captain and a premise which, even to Gapey Joe Junior, was loving silly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

I never watched it myself, but I remember someone telling me that there was an episode where they went to Hell and killed Satan.
Also a dolphin named Darwin, or something?

There was an episode where they were abducted by aliens and ended up 30 years into the future. Then Roy Scheider quit in disgust!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
...and Michael Ironside joined the cast!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

There was an episode where they were abducted by aliens and ended up 30 years into the future. Then Roy Scheider quit in disgust!

Yeah it's best to just stop watching when the really weird poo poo starts happening and they get teleported to the ocean planet or whatever,, even as a kid I was like lol nope.

e: there was indeed a talking dolphin named Darwin, also a Wesley Crusher type boy genius. Unlike Will Wheaton, the actor killed himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was it Ironside who hated the dolphin and said he never wanted to film a scene with it?

• Locked thread