Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Monaghan posted:

I still laugh at goku's "ally to good" speech to frieza in the original dub.

i thought it was sick and showed that he was a true hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

tbp posted:

he likes to fight but is a hero as well. hes not a gag character IMO.

Nah he isn't a gag character.

He may have started out as one, but he that was abandoned really, really early in DB.

The dude likes gags, so sometimes the show/manga will have gags in it, that is all it means.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Gag characters can be heroes you know. A lot of the classic gag manga characters are still heroes.

ya sure but i dont think goku is a gag character.. hes funny at times but vs. vegeta, vs freeza and vs. kid buu hes pretty darn serious and those are his big fights of the series i think

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I thought it was dumb as gently caress that he let Frieza go after being madder than he's ever been in his whole life but killed a fuckton of people who weren't nearly as evil before that.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Amorphous Blob posted:

I thought it was dumb as gently caress that he let Frieza go after being madder than he's ever been in his whole life but killed a fuckton of people who weren't nearly as evil before that.

he matured

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought he tried to kill Frieza again though when he deflected that blast back at him and went all "YOU FOOL!".

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I like DBZ because it makes people care enough to discuss stuff like this. :shobon:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

to me it was honorable that goku had gotten mature to the point where he could spare the worst enemy ever

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Kindly African American man who offers you the dragonballs and also literally the world: blow him up

Genocidal alien warlord who killed your dad and best friend: okay you get ONE more chance

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I thought he tried to kill Frieza again though when he deflected that blast back at him and went all "YOU FOOL!".

he did but before that he gave him his energy

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Raxivace posted:

He didn't expect Freeza to survive being spaced missing his lower body, arm and half of his head. Who the hell would? I still find it funny that he can survive being diced, too.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Rudoku posted:

He didn't expect Freeza to survive being spaced missing his lower body, arm and half of his head. Who the hell would? I still find it funny that he can survive being diced, too.

yeah he did which is why he told him to reflect on his actions or whatever.. he even tried to save him when he was going to get hit by his own discs. goku showed true depth of character there - what a guy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Goku can be a lot of different things depending on the circumstances and it's pretty disingenuous to ignore how serious the guy can be when he's pissed off. If someone likes the Japanese voice more, whatever works for you, but if you ask me Schemmel is much better at demonstrating Goku's emotional range.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I least I finally understand way there are a million and one Dragonball AMVs set to Linkin Park.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There are a million and one any AMVs set to Linkin Park.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Amorphous Blob posted:

To be fair, at that point the last guy he killed was king piccolo. Goku had a pretty good no kill streak going.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

tbp posted:

to me it was honorable that goku had gotten mature to the point where he could spare the worst enemy ever

goku spared raditz and got his poo poo kicked in so he learned from it and we got the full nelson special beam canon scene which owned.

goku sparing frieza only exists as a scene so that frieza can later come undone by his own hubris.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Amorphous Blob posted:

goku spared raditz and got his poo poo kicked in so he learned from it and we got the full nelson special beam canon scene which owned.

goku sparing frieza only exists as a scene so that frieza can later come undone by his own hubris.

i think its bc goku grew to have a kind soul, unsuited for killing of any sort, after having a son, gohan

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Goku was insightful enough to know that for somebody like Frieza getting completely bodied by a Saiyan no less and left to drift the stars, dwelling on how you aren't good enough is worse than death.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

more like goku became a big bitch and now everyone else has to clean up his messes

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Amorphous Blob posted:

more like goku became a big bitch and now everyone else has to clean up his messes

if this is the message you took from this incident, i fear that you have not understood our hero at all. as well, in the proper timeline he beats frieza again anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Goku can be a lot of different things depending on the circumstances and it's pretty disingenuous to ignore how serious the guy can be when he's pissed off. If someone likes the Japanese voice more, whatever works for you, but if you ask me Schemmel is much better at demonstrating Goku's emotional range.

Feels like he finally got the memo that Goku is actually kind of naive sounding when Kai came around, too.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

projecthalaxy posted:

Goku was insightful enough to know that for somebody like Frieza getting completely bodied by a Saiyan no less and left to drift the stars, dwelling on how you aren't good enough is worse than death.

He was competently wrong though.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's absurd to say Goku is anything close to a gag character. It's very clear that he's drawn in two very different ways depending on if it's a serious moment or not; his facial expression is completely different. These are [completely not] coincidentally, the instances where Sean Schemmel uses his non-serious (generally higher pitched with an uptick at the end of the line) and serious voices (more deadpan) respectively.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm actually pretty okay with Vegeta sounding like the Overmind from Starcraft

Also I get what makes the Japanese dub good, but I grew up on the Funi English one and Japanese DBZ always just feels off to me in some way I can't put my finger on. Even hearing Hercule called Mr. Satan in the uncut dub kinda makes me do a double-take.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

They say that to this day fans are still trying to decode the rich tapestry of the character of Son Goku

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Ruggington posted:

They say that to this day fans are still trying to decode the rich tapestry of the character of Son Goku

hes likes to eat and punch

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

Got any evidence before you throw out crazy theories like this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I was looking at other dubs and the Malaysian one is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is shonen heroes having a huge appetite actually something that was started with DB or is Goku just the most well known incarnation of the trope?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Amorphous Blob posted:

Ruggington posted:

Looks like it checks out!

e X posted:

Is shonen heroes having a huge appetite actually something that was started with DB or is Goku just the most well known incarnation of the trope?

You know, thats a good question!

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Ruggington posted:

heres goku eating a lot

unfortunately i couldnt find any pictures of him punching so youll have to take my word for it

lol look at his fat face

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Oozaru Fist and Super Dragon Fist were developed because Goku could not punch enough normally.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Momomo posted:

Feels like he finally got the memo that Goku is actually kind of naive sounding when Kai came around, too.

Yeah, big reason why I defend Schemmel is because he's a lot better at normal old Goku now.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Even among all the other stuff, Goku eating is easily one of the most iconic images of the series. Just him among a giant mountain of dirty dishes, gulping down noddles like a machine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Going with Drowning Rabbit post about looking at the Irwin figures, I ended up looking at a database of figures and statues that were released for Cell and Android 18. Most are general ones and such, and then I found this and I just really creep out that there exist a vore statue of the two.

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/9HREV1P.png :nms:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

heres goku eating a lot

:lol:

Rirse posted:

Going with Drowning Rabbit post about looking at the Irwin figures, I ended up looking at a database of figures and statues that were released for Cell and Android 18. Most are general ones and such, and then I found this and I just really creep out that there exist a vore statue of the two.

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/9HREV1P.png :nms:

Just because some weirdos get turn on by strange stuff doesn't mean you have to NMS it, man.

Then again, it's true that the purpose of that collection was to make the most disgusting DB figurines ever apparently:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Once you know Piccolo is supposed to be n alien it's hard to see anything else, but his design does actually work for a demon lord pretty well.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

We got the Ocean dub here in the UK, although I think we may have got the Funi dub later?

I keep mentioning it in this thread but nobody seems to remember exactly: I tihnk we had a run of everything at least once each with the Ocean dub and the Funimation dub, and the Big green dub for some of the movies when they rarely aired. I think we started with Ocean, switched to Funimation on one of the resets, switched back to Ocean, and when we got to new material we switched to Funimation again. When the whole thing finished it switched back to Ocean. I'm pretty certain of this because I remember hearing Faulconer's score the first time round from Frieza to Kid Buu, but I also remember elements of Ocean, and |i was too young to understand that there were two dubs and was wondering why the music was changing and oh boy did this person always sound like this they must have done I'm just a dumb kid doop doop doop I'm gonna go on the internet and look five sagas ahead because I'm a rebel.

Seriously, we'd be in school and get hyped knowing that Super Saiyan 2 was gonna debut any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Hey this figure is just a homage to the source material.

• Locked thread