Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Please be good, please be released in a reasonable timeframe, please please please please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
IIRC they've already said that Windows 10 Mobile gets released later than the desktop version. Hopefully it isn't such a huge delay as with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Tivac posted:

Please be good, please be released in a reasonable timeframe, please please please please.

Yeah. I'm expecting October/November range. Just in time to be eclipsed entirely by the iPhone.

Unfortunately they don't really have a choice. They release Windows 10 feature incomplete and update rapidly. For phones though with carriers blocking updates like Ebola, they have to get everything done. Windows mobile is also a few months behind the desktop based on the technical previews as well

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 4, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chasiubao posted:

Talkman and Cityman sound like bad awesome Chinese movies.

I was thinking bad Megaman bosses

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Yeah. I'm expecting October/November range. Just in time to be eclipsed entirely by the iPhone.

drat, I'd been assuming all of Win10 would be released at the same time, sucks to remember it probably won't :(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Just sell me a loving 640 on AT&T already, Christ.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Isn't a mobile device that plays music called the "Talkman" going to run into trademark issues?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Isn't a mobile device that plays music called the "Talkman" going to run into trademark issues?

That is the internal codename, not what it will actually be called when it is released.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Hello next phone!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Charles Martel posted:

Hello next phone!

Hold off until you see what Blackberry has in store

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Talkman and Cityman sound like bad awesome Chinese movies.

loquacius posted:

I was thinking bad Megaman bosses
Those are the names of two Mobira NMT phones from the 80s. (Mobira was jointly owned by Nokia and Salora, a Finnish radio manufacturer, until the latter was merged into Nokia)

Talkman:

Cityman:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 5.2" one is probably the one I want. Now if the Xbox Music catalog wasn't so goddamn disappointing here in Belgium. :toot:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 5.2" one is probably the one I want. Now if the Xbox Music catalog wasn't so goddamn disappointing here in Belgium. :toot:

Embrace the old school method of buying digital copies in a trusted shop, copy the mp3 files and use a decent player. I've never liked Xbox Music.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Or just use Spotify. The app is not fantastic, but it is perfectly workable, gets updated, and is complete.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Spotify's catalog has the same issues (lack of certain songs due to rights). Play Music has the best selection over here. Which is curious, because plenty of publishers are irked about them due to YouTube, yet allow them to stream music that Xbox Music requires you to buy (and Spotify just outright doesn't offer). I don't get it. I suppose it'll be buy and upload then.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Chasiubao posted:

Just sell me a loving 640 on AT&T already, Christ.
Seriously. What is going on here?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Poe's Law

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Hm, I think the 10 preview is loving up messaging-wise. I'm starting to receive messages twice, sometimes in quick succession and sometimes the duplicate comes a good while later. Additionally I just got a message for the first time that I think was sent yesterday (that or the person I'm talking to has the memory of a goldfish because we just finished a conversation that covered that exact topic not 5 minutes ago). Anybody else have this issue? I guess it could be a carrier problem but I think the OS is more likely.

I really need to get less lazy and roll this back to 8. Maybe tonight probably never

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are you on T-Mobile? There's some people complaining about the same thing in that thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601554&pagenumber=47#post444956710

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Uthor posted:

Are you on T-Mobile? There's some people complaining about the same thing in that thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601554&pagenumber=47#post444956710

I am. Welp, guess that explains that. Still reverting anyway for general stability reasons, but I guess I shouldn't be too optimistic about that particular issue going away.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Cheesus posted:

Seriously. What is going on here?

A friend of mine is at MS Ignite right now, and someone there in the Lumia booth told him Jun/Jul for the 640s to come out.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

A friend of mine is at MS Ignite right now, and someone there in the Lumia booth told him Jun/Jul for the 640s to come out.

There has been a fairly large lack of any kind of real announcements here at Ignite. Actually been kind of a sucky conference too (but for other reasons).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If the 640s come out in friggin June/July after coming out drat near everywhere else already I'll just upgrade to another android phone. I wanted a windows 10-capable phone, but I also needed to upgrade my phone months ago. Gettin kinda sick of waiting.

I'm not sure if AT&T or Microsoft is to blame, so I'll just comfortably blame both.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Please let there be USB-C and Qi chargers named Sparkman and Magnetman.

5.7 inches sounds too big to want to carry in my pocket much less stuff into an armband if one is ever made. Even if the smaller phone has a slower chip I'll probably choose that.

CalvinandHobbes posted:

On the other hand I'll have fully paid off my 920 :downs:

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, no thanks. Waiting for Blackberry is why I'm on Windows Phone.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 6, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Windows Phone: Waiting for Blackberry

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

OldPueblo posted:

For gently caress's sake, really? They're already out everywhere else in the world :mad:

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

OldPueblo posted:

Well that makes me feel better about getting my 635 a month ago (which I'm really loving).

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Expansys is selling both the regular 640 and 640 XL to the US unlocked. The regular 640 is the dual SIM LTE model which supports both AT&T's and T-Mobile's LTE frequencies. The details on the 640 XL is a little sparse and doesn't list what frequencies it supports.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/microsoft-lumia-640-dual-sim-unlocked-lte-8gb-black-276476/
http://www.expansys-usa.com/microsoft-lumia-640-xl-smartphone-black-276668/

As much as I want to get the 640 XL, I'd prefer to wait for the T-Mobile version since my experience using an unlocked 920 meant for Rogers has been fraught with various minor but annoying issues.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Edward IV posted:

Expansys is selling both the regular 640 and 640 XL to the US unlocked. The regular 640 is the dual SIM LTE model which supports both AT&T's and T-Mobile's LTE frequencies. The details on the 640 XL is a little sparse and doesn't list what frequencies it supports.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/microsoft-lumia-640-dual-sim-unlocked-lte-8gb-black-276476/

As much as I want to get the 640 XL, I'd prefer to wait for the T-Mobile version since my experience using an unlocked 920 meant for Rogers has been fraught with various minor but annoying issues.

I've been using the Rogers 920 on TMob (NYC) for a couple years now - other than screwing with the MMS settings every so often (though not in the last 6 months/year or so) it's been fairly smooth. I wasn't considering the 640 until I noticed it has dual sim but now I'm concerned with your concern ... what troubles are you finding with TMob/ Rogers 920?

Are both these 640s dual sim as standard or do I need to hunt down the specific versions? How does the phone manage all the disparate communications with a dual sim? Obv I'm looking at a work/personal machine in one so keeping the two information streams separate is an important feature.

EDIT: oh god, looks like the MS site as a goddamn myriad options: with/without LTE, with/without Dual SIM, with/without XL. WTF MS why the complications?

EDIT EDIT:

quote:

"The Lumia 630 is the first dual-SIM Windows Phone, so there are a few unique touches in this regard. For starters, there are two distinct phone and messaging apps, which is a very odd and potentially confusing way to handle things. The icons for each SIM card are only slightly different in colour (and the first set goes transparent if you use the new background photo option). You'll have to deal with fragmented call history lists and inboxes, although the contact list is shared and you can choose to send a message or make a call from a different SIM even from the other SIM's apps. This could help keep work and personal communications separate, but not everyone will like this approach."

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/reviews/nokia-lumia-630-dual-sim-review-a-new-age-for-windows-phone-525495

Anyone have first hand use of dual SIM WPhone?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/connectivity/use-a-dual-sim-phone

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 6, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

bushes posted:

Well that makes me feel better about getting my 635 a month ago (which I'm really loving).

Can anyone familiar with this model give me the rundown of what to expect if I get it? Coming from android, I am fully prepared to lose app support for a lot of stuff and that doesn't really bother me. Is the 635 the best low-end available until the 640s drop?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Edward IV posted:

The leaked T-Mobile price was was like, $89 for the 640. I want one, but not 'pay twice as much' want one.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Chasiubao posted:

The leaked T-Mobile price was was like, $89 for the 640. I want one, but not 'pay twice as much' want one.

Also you're likely to have Wifi calling on the T-Mobile 640 but not on an unlocked one.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Mr Funkface posted:

I've been using the Rogers 920 on TMob (NYC) for a couple years now - other than screwing with the MMS settings every so often (though not in the last 6 months/year or so) it's been fairly smooth. I wasn't considering the 640 until I noticed it has dual sim but now I'm concerned with your concern ... what troubles are you finding with TMob/ Rogers 920?

I've been having stability issues though that's probably more of the fault of running the developers preview. Also while I have no need for it, I would like to have the ability to use Wifi calling which requires that I get a device from T-Mobile.

The biggest issue that I've run into is with internet sharing. Sharing would only work when the phone was set to 3G/4G but not LTE. At first it wasn't an issue since when I first got the 920, T-Mobile didn't have LTE but once LTE became more widespread I wanted to make more use of it. Particularly since I had to stream videos at lower resolutions to get decent video performance. One fix I found involved getting a particular foreign SIM card and using a Nokia network utility app as described here. While it worked, the performance was still pretty bad. The connection wasn't terribly fast and would occasionally cut out which can be pretty catastrophic and noticeable when streaming videos. The connection would cut out almost every few minutes which made watching TV shows a VERY irritating experience.

Then I got a Sony Z3 Compact discovered that it did internet sharing a LOT better as I was able to stream videos at full resolution even at 4G speeds. Unless someone can prove otherwise, I either chalked it up to Windows Phone having a poor implementation of internet sharing compared to Android, that the 920 didn't have adequate power for it, or the 920 was just so unstable from running the developer preview and/or screwing with the network settings. But of course, the upgrade to Denim seemingly broke internet sharing again but given how poor it worked in the first place I'm in no hurry to fix it. While I could have used this as a reason to jump ship to Android, I think I've been using Windows Phone for too long because I couldn't get into the groove of using Android. It just feels clumsy and inconsistent compared to Windows Phone though that could just be me. So for now, I carry both the 920 and Z3c and mainly use the 920 and switch to the Z3c when I want to use internet sharing.

I seriously do need a replacement Windows Phone soon because I'm not sure how many more times I can swap SIM cards before the contacts break again or the SIM card breaks. Funny story, I destroyed the contact pins for the SIM card with an empty SIM card adapter and had to haphazardly solder new pins back on. However, the new pins are thicker than the old ones so they're pushing harder against the SIM card and really scratching the card up. Plus, I have to sometime re-seat the SIM card because the pins are slightly out of alignment and will sometimes not read the card. I really do need a new phone like last month.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

EDIT: oh god, looks like the MS site as a goddamn myriad options: with/without LTE, with/without Dual SIM, with/without XL. WTF MS why the complications?

EDIT EDIT:

Anyone have first hand use of dual SIM WPhone?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/connectivity/use-a-dual-sim-phone

Windows phone handles it better then any other os and there aren't that many options.

Choose the size then wether you want dual sim cards or LTE. Done.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Wow, I didn't try anything that fancy, what a pisser.

I'll probably check out the dual 640 and report back unless: it's not much better than my 920; there's a better (flagship) dual sim on the horizon.

quote:

Lumia 640 LTE Dual can't catch "two 4G or 3G bands" at the same time.
By the mention of "SIM タイプ: Type: micro-SIM / デュアル SIM: Dual Standby / SIM 1: 4G/3G/2G, SIM 2: 4G/3G/2G"(EXPANSYS's web), I had expected that this phone could catch two 4G bands at the same time,actually it can not catch 4G bands at the same time. But both of SIM1 slot and SIM2 slot can use 4G exclusively,and this phone's user can select SIM1 or SIM2 to use 4G band without replacement the SIM cards. And,I can receive the commodity in 2days after order at Japan. Thanks for the quick delivery.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/allreviews.aspx?i=276476

This little opinion suggests the dual sim limits the number of the same type of band used... does a dual sim need micro-managing which sim for which radio? what a pain.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 7, 2015

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mr Funkface posted:

This little opinion suggests the dual sim limits the number of the same type of band used... does a dual sim need micro-managing which sim for which radio? what a pain.

Why would you care, 3G and 4G are used for data not calls and texts (excluding VoLTE). The point of a dual sim phone is being able to send and receive calls and texts from two different numbers. Do you feel to control which sim you use do send data over?

I figure you'd want the phone to determine which network is working the best and send all data using that network.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Stick100 posted:

Why would you care, 3G and 4G are used for data not calls and texts (excluding VoLTE). The point of a dual sim phone is being able to send and receive calls and texts from two different numbers. Do you feel to control which sim you use do send data over?

I figure you'd want the phone to determine which network is working the best and send all data using that network.

No, it'll be for work and personal split. Though yes you're right the work SIM will be mostly (exclusively?) voice calls so I guess a 2G or whatever is fine for that, data/mms/dick pics on my personal data heavy SIM.

My point is I would rather plug and play without micromanaging rather than worry about these bullshit minutiae.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

No, it'll be for work and personal split. Though yes you're right the work SIM will be mostly (exclusively?) voice calls so I guess a 2G or whatever is fine for that, data/mms/dick pics on my personal data heavy SIM.

My point is I would rather plug and play without micromanaging rather than worry about these bullshit minutiae.

You can completely do that. Put the sim cards in and two tiles will appear. Select which one you want to use to make calls. Job done.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

You can completely do that. Put the sim cards in and two tiles will appear. Select which one you want to use to make calls. Job done.

Yes i know, I said as much. My point is I would rather plug and play without micromanaging rather than worry about these bullshit minutiae

I'm assuming only one takes the 4G radio at a time no sharesies - does anyone know how to hand-off between the SIMs? Is it tray specific or software controlled? Say I have two data plans and want to switch between the two ad hoc, much like the scenario Stick100 assumed. I don't think I see this fine control in the MS 2-SIM page.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Working on more Awful Forums Reader stuff. Here's some ideas I had for Windows 10. Now, the screenshots below are showing the desktop, but imagine it's running on the phone since it's the same code.

So right now on the Windows 8 version, the current workflow for viewing a thread is this:

1. Click on a forum/bookmark button, go to that page.

2. Click on thread from list, go to that page.

3. Click back to thread list view, click on another thread.

and so on. This is really lame. The iOS and Android tablet apps have a master/detail view for these situations, so you can click on a thread in the master view, and the detail view will show the thread. I want to change it to this view, but since this app is now a UAP one, it has to also work on phones as well. Luckily, this is a supported pattern, and although they don't have a direct control for actually implementing it, it's easy enough to roll your own. So what you get is this

(Also notice that I'm adding more forum specific CSS :3:. I'm thinking of letting anyone add their own too if they don't like what I made. The other forums apps do that, so I don't see why I should not.)

So if you have enough screen size, you get both the thread list and the thread itself. If you shrink it down, you just get the thread list, and then move into the thread page. If you then make the screen bigger, it just shows both. So for the phone view, you'll just get this scrunched view. Or on phablets, if you, say, rotate the screen into landscape where you have more room, you can see both the thread list and thread split in half. And, I'm guessing, with continuum support, since this is the same appx as the desktop version, you can just launch the app on the big screen and have it run exactly the same way.

Edit: And while this has nothing strictly to do with the phone app, you can now drag and drop images into the reply textbox :3:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Neat, keep up the good work!