Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
There's a catalogue of every card in the game on the Star Wars thing so you could open any card you like and snap a screenshot, look at the picture, flip it over to see the back, etc. without spending a dime. You could pretty much have the exact same experience as owning the cards just by looking through the catalogue. Except without being hundreds to thousands of dollars poorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hearthstone I get, its just MTG on your phone but you can "do" something with the cards.

This is literally .jpgs of cards complete with fake wear and tear? For real money?

I...I'm speechless. :psyduck:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Snuffman posted:

Hearthstone I get, its just MTG on your phone but you can "do" something with the cards.

This is literally .jpgs of cards complete with fake wear and tear? For real money?

I...I'm speechless. :psyduck:

Oh and the fake wear and tear is exactly the same on each Vintage.

Fortunately the art department really went all out to ensure the cards are of the highest quality and look fantastic:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Fortunately the art department really went all out to ensure the cards are of the highest quality and look fantastic:

tbf, those look like they're from the oldschool marvel comics.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Telex posted:

tbf, those look like they're from the oldschool marvel comics.

Oh I'm pretty sure all the artwork is recycled from one source or another. They just slap weird backgrounds or poo poo on top and call it a day.

Who could forget that time when Boba Fett said a thing? Note the sepia tone indicating its a rarer version than the ordinary black and white one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Y'all are just mad you didn't come up with the idea first. These guys have to be laughing all the way to the bank.

When does the Bitizen Collectible Card app get announced? :v:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
They're so funny. I really appreciate the low rent labelling of the cards. It looks like some kind of masterfully done troll or a joke someone would make about mobile phone gaming.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

goferchan posted:

Is there metagame progression like how you'd unlock new skills with achievements in Hoplite? I'm a sucker for that

I've not beat it yet so I can't speak 100%, but it doesn't seem so. There are different enemies during the descent than the ascent, though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish the Decipher Star Wars card game could come back as app.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
On the recommendation of this thread, I played through Sorcery! 1-3 and they were amazing; that type of game is so well suited for the ipad.

Just curious, how long was the delay between Sorcery 2 and Sorcery 3? I'm trying to find online when we might expect Sorcery 4 to come out and I don't see any estimates; will it probably be months or years?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serrath posted:

On the recommendation of this thread, I played through Sorcery! 1-3 and they were amazing; that type of game is so well suited for the ipad.

Just curious, how long was the delay between Sorcery 2 and Sorcery 3? I'm trying to find online when we might expect Sorcery 4 to come out and I don't see any estimates; will it probably be months or years?

This is off the top of my head, but I think 1-2 was like 6 months, 2-3 was closer to 18 months. They did, however, also release the really excellent and really huge 80 Days during that big gap (which you should ABSOLUTELY play if you like Sorcery, it'll definitely keep you busy for a while) so that kinda explains it. Also each game seems to be like double the size of the previous one so that might have something to do with it too. Hopefully it won't be another year waiting for part 4 though

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

goferchan posted:

This is off the top of my head, but I think 1-2 was like 6 months, 2-3 was closer to 18 months. They did, however, also release the really excellent and really huge 80 Days during that big gap (which you should ABSOLUTELY play if you like Sorcery, it'll definitely keep you busy for a while) so that kinda explains it. Also each game seems to be like double the size of the previous one so that might have something to do with it too. Hopefully it won't be another year waiting for part 4 though

I thought a lot of the time for 3 was because they redid a bunch of it to make it open world-ish.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BGrifter posted:

They just released this ugly thing today. Limited to 50 copies and sold out in maybe 2-3 minutes, only available in the cash shop packs. People are begging to trade the $170 fuzzy picture of Han Solo for it. In the comments people are guessing it'll sell on eBay for $300-$500+.

If everyone is bored of this train wreck I can stop posting about it. It's pretty :psyduck:

Edit: Incase you can't guess it's supposed to be a "commemorative Yoda coin" from the new Star Wars Mint collection.

Feel free to keep posting, it's interesting in a terrible way.
Hey, that Yoda says "1980" on it. I, too, remember the 80s!!!

BGrifter posted:

Oh I'm pretty sure all the artwork is recycled from one source or another. They just slap weird backgrounds or poo poo on top and call it a day.

Who could forget that time when Boba Fett said a thing? Note the sepia tone indicating its a rarer version than the ordinary black and white one.

Obviously the film sprocket holes are just a filter from a photoshop plugin, but they're the wrong orientation entirely... :psyduck:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

xzzy posted:

Y'all are just mad you didn't come up with the idea first. These guys have to be laughing all the way to the bank.

When does the Bitizen Collectible Card app get announced? :v:

Man, I mentally spitballed a virtual pogs app where you play / trade / collect pogs of different rarities where we could sell virtual pogs (and limited edition engraved gold slammers, obviously). I guess that would actually work on people.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

marshmonkey posted:

Man, I mentally spitballed a virtual pogs app where you play / trade / collect pogs of different rarities where we could sell virtual pogs (and limited edition engraved gold slammers, obviously). I guess that would actually work on people.

please bring back the bitbook and i will spend hundreds of dollars on this game

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish the Decipher Star Wars card game could come back as app.

I would unironically spend huge amounts of money (uh, again) on that if it ever happened.

I sold off most of my CCG collections, but I always kept the Star Wars game.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Agreed, it's genius. People are incredible.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

DrManiac posted:

Like, it's not even attached to some kind of game so it's literally useless.

So, it's the StarCitizen of mobile games?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Feel free to keep posting, it's interesting in a terrible way.
Hey, that Yoda says "1980" on it. I, too, remember the 80s!!!

Obviously the film sprocket holes are just a filter from a photoshop plugin, but they're the wrong orientation entirely... :psyduck:

I like the part where they clip and obscure the image. Because that's what I want in embellishments, things that destroy the original.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BGrifter posted:

They just released this ugly thing today. Limited to 50 copies and sold out in maybe 2-3 minutes, only available in the cash shop packs. People are begging to trade the $170 fuzzy picture of Han Solo for it. In the comments people are guessing it'll sell on eBay for $300-$500+.

If everyone is bored of this train wreck I can stop posting about it. It's pretty :psyduck:

Edit: Incase you can't guess it's supposed to be a "commemorative Yoda coin" from the new Star Wars Mint collection.
Quick, where do I go to point out to the people who paid money for this that the 'YODA' text is off-centre?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

TACD posted:

Quick, where do I go to point out to the people who paid money for this that the 'YODA' text is off-centre?

So you're saying it's even more valuable due to a misprint? :raise:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

io_burn posted:

So you're saying it's even more valuable due to a misprint? :raise:

That reminds me of another story about this thing. I referenced it a week ago but since people seem to be enjoying the trainwreck from afar...

So the Vintage series is the most popular thing they've released. They put the above card out last week and the demand crashed their servers. Unlike most of the Vintage cards which tend to be around 1750-2000 copies, this one was a mere 1250 "printed". Players went apeshit trying to buy it.

People were spending hundreds of dollars on packs that they weren't receiving hoping when the servers recovered they'd get packs containing copies. The cards themselves show a count of how many copies are in circulation, Vintage Luke sat at about 1125 copies for over a half hour while lunatics shovelled money into packs hoping they'd get one.

Eventually the servers caught up and people got their packs but the Vintage they were chasing sold out long ago. Topps had to remove Vintage Luke from the award set (sets like Vintage yield an award card for collecting the first ten in the series) and refund everyone's ingame credits because of the outcry on their hands.

The reason your post made me think of all this? People are selling their "Vintage Luke misprints" as some super special rarity.

Bonus cards:
The "shred" series, so 90s. The green variants are for people who bought the $120 credits pack, there are several hundred of each one released so far.

Fan's Choice where you get fan favourite characters like Max Rebo and Kit Fisto.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'm, uh, just going to leave this here- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id978524071?mt=8

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

io_burn posted:

I'm, uh, just going to leave this here- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id978524071?mt=8

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I don't understand all the "but there's no game" talk in this thread. Have none of you heard of collecting baseball cards before?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Scratch-O posted:

I don't understand all the "but there's no game" talk in this thread. Have none of you heard of collecting baseball cards before?

They actually have baseball, football and I think soccer variants on the same idea. Star Wars is just the newest. In the football one they have the authorization of the players association but not the league so all the team logos are missing. I poked around for two minutes out of curiosity and deleted them all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Scratch-O posted:

I can put an autographed baseball card in a little holder on my desk, though

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Mobile gaming is dead. :smugdog:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

BGrifter posted:

They actually have baseball, football and I think soccer variants on the same idea. Star Wars is just the newest. In the football one they have the authorization of the players association but not the league so all the team logos are missing. I poked around for two minutes out of curiosity and deleted them all.

I read somewhere that, until the Star Wars version, they always eventually lowered the daily log-in reward to the point where you had to get on multiple times in a week to save up for a single pack

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Swagger Dagger posted:

I can put an autographed baseball card in a little holder on my desk, though

And I can put an iPhone in my bicycle spokes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Fan's Choice where you get fan favourite characters like Max Rebo and Kit Fisto.

AARGHHH I HAD NO IDEA HIS FINGERS WERE HORRIBLE AND hosed UP LIKE THAT

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
People who are into collecting sports cards, generally found encouragement from parents and grandparents who did it when they were young.

Just got an iPad mini, going to to be doing a lot of international traveling soon so I'm looking for game recommendations that don't require Internet connection. I'm big into turn based strategy and RPGs but open to anything. Some games I already have: Puzzle Quest 2, Card City Nights, Dungeon raid, Ascension, Battle heart legacy, Carcassone, Wayward Souls.

How are the games slitherine has put out?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can't speak to that, but Nightmare Cooperative, Hoplite, and 868-HACK are excellent little strategy games, even if they are technically rogue-ish. Other general Good Games are FTL, Democracy 3, Device 6, Year Walk, Sorcery!, Does Not Commute, and i have to say Space Team even though it's literally a local multiplayer-only game.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I know we have a thread for the Japanese poker RPG in which there's a translation guide. Has anyone discovered more translation guides?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FastestGunAlive posted:

People who are into collecting sports cards, generally found encouragement from parents and grandparents who did it when they were young.

Just got an iPad mini, going to to be doing a lot of international traveling soon so I'm looking for game recommendations that don't require Internet connection. I'm big into turn based strategy and RPGs but open to anything. Some games I already have: Puzzle Quest 2, Card City Nights, Dungeon raid, Ascension, Battle heart legacy, Carcassone, Wayward Souls.

How are the games slitherine has put out?

Oh gently caress if you have (and like) those games but not Dream Quest you can probably easily get 20+ hours out of it. Ignore the MSPaint graphics it's a crazy roguelike Ascension-styled deckbuilder with a ton of unlockables and cool metagame progression.

Also depending on what you like about RPGs, and I feel bad because I shill for it all the time but it's only because it's awesome, you might really dig the Sorcery! series. There's not much of a focus on combat but I'd say it captures the Dungeons & Dragons feel very well by allowing for a TON of player freedom, you can cast really weird spells for weird reasons to solve puzzles, and be a complete rear end in a top hat to people, and basically do anything that makes sense and a lot of things that don't. I guess at their core the games are really fancy Choose Your Own Adventures but they've got more text than a George RR Martin book and an inventory system and spellcasting and combat and stuff.

edit: Auro is a good, very deep randomly-generated puzzle game with a really cool difficulty scaling system that always keeps the game JUST challenging enough. Card Crawl is a really well-designed card game with an RPG-styled theme (but it's not an RPG; it really is a solitaire card game that you could play in real life with a deck) that I found really fun and I really like all the same games you mentioned.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 6, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hey, neat, Monument Valley on sale for $0.99 in the US. Just grabbed it. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monument-valley/id728293409?mt=8

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

BGrifter posted:

Max Rebo is my favorite jizz artist.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Hey guys, can anyone recommend any good fighting games? Free, paid, IAP... It's all ok.

I've tried the WWE immortals and played that for a month or two, but the ghost players bug just pissed me off and I deleted it.

I tried MKX but it seems to be heavily focused around IAP, like to an ungrindable degree.

I have the old street fighter collection, that's pretty fun.

I just downloaded Injustice but it's fairly old and I think a marvel clone of it came out fairly recently, but I heard injustice is atleast not too bad with farming currency in the game.

Thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Max Rebo is my favorite jizz artist.

Kit Fisto was amazing in backdoor sluts 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Kit Fisto was amazing in backdoor sluts 9

"Oh god that is so vile"

"Nah man, the pay is great. Droopy and I do it all the time for a little extra cash"

"..."

This app is weird.