Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I changed the plugs. It was harder than doing the Phase I on our old Outback but not by much; The front and middle plugs on each side were trivial compared to to the rears. I pulled the valve cover on the right side because of a leak I knew about when I purchased the car, and it made the plugs on that side a lot easier.

Unfortunately, it looks like the gasket is still seeping after a test drive. And I noticed another leak on the rear of the right side too. I snugged the bolts down and I'll replace the gasket when I have some time to kill.

I also have oil building up on this bolt between the front differential and the transmission pan. I noticed it and wiped it down last weekend when I replaced the gear oil. What is that bolt? Any ideas where the oil could be from?

Edit: 2004 Outback H6 with a 4eat.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I use Napa Golds (7712) since the bypass spring pressure on a lot of the cheap stuff (*cough* Bosch) is very low - you need 23psi. I think the Wix 57712 is the same filter.

That's awesome, thanks. I bought a Denso through Amazon but I'll get Wix now, especially since I can get them through work.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

Shrapnig posted:

Does anyone have a '15 WRX that can give me some input?

I'm planning on ordering a '16 when they get released later this year. I've been driving an Abarth for about a year and had an '11 WRX prior to that, a car I wish I had never gotten rid of.

I miss the AWD in New Jersey, especially with the winter we had this year, and would like to have the extra space that the Abarth obviously doesn't offer.

I have a 15 STI. What questions do you have? Also, North or South Jersey? If North, Ramsey Subaru. If South, Miller Subaru. Avoid Lester Glenn and Cherry Hill Subaru (for buying).

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

slidebite posted:

That's awesome, thanks. I bought a Denso through Amazon but I'll get Wix now, especially since I can get them through work.

Amazon also has OEM filters for pretty drat cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Oil-Filters-Washers-Pack/dp/B007NLQO0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430776981&sr=8-1&keywords=subaru+oil+filter

Frequently bought with: Rotella T6 and Fumoto oil drain valve. It's like they read this thread.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Once I got really drunk and bought 36 subaru oil filters from subaru genuine parts.

I'm almost out :ohdear:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Sudo Echo posted:

Frequently bought with: Rotella T6 and Fumoto oil drain valve. It's like they read this thread.

Oooo nice price on T6. Never thought to check Amazon for motor oil.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Oh, man, I love Amazon Prime so much.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Sudo Echo posted:

Amazon also has OEM filters for pretty drat cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Oil-Filters-Washers-Pack/dp/B007NLQO0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430776981&sr=8-1&keywords=subaru+oil+filter

So what is this fumoto valve and why does everyone love it? Is it that much trouble to pull the drain plug? Also in my experience subarus seem to burn a lot of oil or blow a fair bit by. Won't the t6 ruin my cat?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nutnmunch posted:

I have a 15 STI. What questions do you have? Also, North or South Jersey? If North, Ramsey Subaru. If South, Miller Subaru. Avoid Lester Glenn and Cherry Hill Subaru (for buying).

I bought my Impreza from Cherry Hill. The one service manager made a comment about me not using them for service when I came in for a warranty thing. The owner answers the main phone sometimes and will bend over backwards to customer service you. They won't budge on the price of anything at all though.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Sadi posted:

So what is this fumoto valve and why does everyone love it? Is it that much trouble to pull the drain plug? Also in my experience subarus seem to burn a lot of oil or blow a fair bit by. Won't the t6 ruin my cat?
Truthfully, no, it's not that much trouble to just pull the drain plug. It is messy, though, and the Fumoto valve just make it so, so painless and clean. Worth every penny.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Tubing straight from the valve nipple into the original oil container. So easy. So clean.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

FogHelmut posted:

I bought my Impreza from Cherry Hill. The one service manager made a comment about me not using them for service when I came in for a warranty thing. The owner answers the main phone sometimes and will bend over backwards to customer service you. They won't budge on the price of anything at all though.

I used to know someone that worked as a mechanic there, and he told me it was a pretty good shop, but I've never had my car serviced there -- so I don't really feel qualified to make a call either way.

But for buying? Well...

When the 15 STI/WRX first came out, I was driving by and saw they had two sitting on the lawn. I walked in, told them I was interested, and they tossed me the keys. It was the only time in my life I've ever test driven a car without someone riding with me. Great! I drove around for twenty minutes before coming back and telling them I was interested (just not in that specific car, as I didn't want a sunroof). They told me another WRX was coming in soon, and that they'd tag it for me and call me when it got there. Great!

When it came in, I saw someone in the car "launch" (see: burnt toast was lingering in the parking lot) it onto the highway there, before doing the exact same thing at the light. When I sat in the car, it had 210 miles on it already (for a car that had just gotten there?), and the salesman proudly told me they'd all taken it for a spin. But not to worry -- this is a Subaru! It'll last forever!

I told him that if I was going to buy a car new, I wanted to make sure I was the only one that had abused it. He then fed me a story about how all of them were rare and sold out everywhere, and that no dealership would see a single car in until 2015 outside of what they had. Suuuuuure.

And yeah, the price. The two STIs they had on the lot were marked up to 47k. Not a typo. When I asked them about 'em, the response I got was "Well, someone will pay!"

I bought my Launch Edition STI at Miller -- 15 minutes away -- for invoice. I'm pretty sure they just mainly sell Legacys and Foresters there, though. The old guy that sold me the car was so happy to have sold something to a person under 50. :unsmith:

nutnmunch fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 5, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What causes rear brake squeak in reverse only? From the outside the brakes look to have plenty of pad/rotor, can't see the inside because there's a heatshield or something there.

E: To clarify, its not squeaking when you role backwards, it's only when you press the brake pedal so it has to be those.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Weird headlight issue with an '08 Impreza. A couple weeks back, both of my headlights went out at the same exact time. After about half an hour, one of them came back on. Two days later it went back out. Monday this week it came back on, and as I was driving home last night it flickered out again.

Any idea what could be causing them to act strange like this?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What causes rear brake squeak in reverse only? From the outside the brakes look to have plenty of pad/rotor, can't see the inside because there's a heatshield or something there.

E: To clarify, its not squeaking when you role backwards, it's only when you press the brake pedal so it has to be those.

Could be uneven wear on the pad or a slightly warped rotor. You should probably take he wheels off and check.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Wouldn't that cause noise going straight too? going straight its silent.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

nutnmunch posted:

I'm actually going to look at a 15 STI tomorrow. I live in Central Jersey and bought my 11 WRX and Abarth from Reedman Toll so I'll probably be going there.

I don't really have much in the way of questions, I was more curious as to whether you've had any problems or fiddly issues.

I'm leaning toward an STI instead of a WRX now so any questions I may have had about the new engine are moot.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I'm interested in getting a new Impreza. Is there still an issue with oil consumption and Subarus?

edit: z, not s. I'm an idiot. I blame it on night shift.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 6, 2015

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 04 wrx has a intermittant stalling issue, usually when the ac compressor is running. It always occurs when I am coasting with the clutch in about to change gears or stop. The engine frequently almost stalls in this same circumstance. IACV was cleaned, new fuel filter have not changed anything. Local dealer could not recreate the issue. Any ideas?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Do you have rear disc or drum? Does Subaru use drum self adjusters that activate in reverse like on Mazdas?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

Weird headlight issue with an '08 Impreza. A couple weeks back, both of my headlights went out at the same exact time. After about half an hour, one of them came back on. Two days later it went back out. Monday this week it came back on, and as I was driving home last night it flickered out again.

Any idea what could be causing them to act strange like this?

Should've mentioned that my highbeams work just fine :confused:.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Switch? Ground?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I need to replace all 4 rotors because I use really abrasive pads and my rotors have a hilarious lip on them.
Any reason why a set of 4 centric premiums are worth $50 more than their c-tek rotors (blanks)?
I don't really care about the rust resistance as I live in california and don't care about surface rust on the rotor hat.

edit: I drive 5k mi per year. All of it fairly spirited -- may have some track days, but I also might just get dedicated rotors for that this time. Pads will be Carbotech AX6 on the street (pretty hard on rotors compared to street pads) and XP10s on the track.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 7, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CharlesM posted:

Do you have rear disc or drum? Does Subaru use drum self adjusters that activate in reverse like on Mazdas?

Discs. 05 wrx.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

nm posted:

I need to replace all 4 rotors because I use really abrasive pads and my rotors have a hilarious lip on them.
Any reason why a set of 4 centric premiums are worth $50 more than their c-tek rotors (blanks)?
I don't really care about the rust resistance as I live in california and don't care about surface rust on the rotor hat.

edit: I drive 5k mi per year. All of it fairly spirited -- may have some track days, but I also might just get dedicated rotors for that this time. Pads will be Carbotech AX6 on the street (pretty hard on rotors compared to street pads) and XP10s on the track.

For the most part they are the same, but I think that on your lgt the premium rotor is a different casting. Might be a better material and have directional vanes up front vs not on the ctek. But it might not, I could never get a straight answer out of stoptech/centric about which are different. Also the e-coat looks a little nicer. They're still pretty cheap on amazon prime.

And actually, because you are hard on them and do track stuff you could consider the slotted version. I'm not really convinced it's worth the extra cost but it keeps the pad-rotor interface clean, so useful when things are hot and you are burning off pad material quickly. I'm told it makes a difference but I don't know how much.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

slidebite posted:

Switch? Ground?

If it was the switch, they would both not be working at all, right? Wouldn't explain how one side works sometimes if so.

I'll check all the wiring today. Will have my mechanic take a look at it over the weekend if I can't figure it out.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Trip Report update (550 miles): Love it. Incredibly smooth ride, averaging about 27mpg combined city/highway, Bluetooth connectivity is sweet, plenty of room for the doge.

The CVT is still taking a bit of getting used to but the "shifts" are definitely far less jarring that what I was previously used to.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

angor posted:

If it was the switch, they would both not be working at all, right? Wouldn't explain how one side works sometimes if so.

I'll check all the wiring today. Will have my mechanic take a look at it over the weekend if I can't figure it out.

Not necessarily. My old Z31 had a similar issue and it was the multiswitch. That certainly does not mean it has anything in common with the Subaru though.

If any Alberta Subaru goons are interested, I can probably get a good deal on Wix 57712 (probably around $6/ea in a 10 qty) but shipping might kill a deal... unless you happen to be in the south.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If I'm just doing mountain runs occasionally I really don't need anything more than oe replacement rotors/pads right?

si
Apr 26, 2004

If I'm just doing mountain runs occasionally I really don't need anything more than oe replacement rotors/pads right?

I'd use normal oe blank rotors and slightly better pads myself. I don't really trust OE pads for any driving beyond commuting.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
In preparation for my trip to the track next weekend:

http://i.imgur.com/hB0sQf5.jpg

New slotted rotors all around, hawk DTC-60 pads and lapp brake ducts. I'm excited for some late braking!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Centric premium rotors, stoptech pads is a good, inexpensive combo. Last I checked amazon with prime or rockauto are a little less than I can get them for but I'll make sure. Definitely do a thorough bleed with good fluid while you're at it. I have SS lines and a master cylinder brace too, which seem to firm things up a bit.

E- approx 275 from me for rotors+pads for an 03-05 wrx.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 10, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
When you factor in shipping, partstrain was byvfar the cheapest way to get centric blanks. Was 50 bux cheapet than rock auto shipped for all 4.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I smoked the stock Subaru pads on my 03 WRX pretty easily driving in the mountains. Get the stuff Jamal recommends.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

Centric premium rotors, stoptech pads is a good

This is the go to set.

I put a new set on my RS every year for rally and hand down the old set to my DD. Zero issues.

I used to warp napa blanks all the time. These hold out great.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That's all 4 Jamal? Whats your shipping cost to Australia? I can almost guarantee that if they aren't made here they are going to be 3x your price

Specifically Loganholme, Queensland, 4129.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 11, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That's all 4 Jamal? Whats your shipping cost to Australia? I can almost guarantee that if they aren't made here they are going to be 3x your price

Specifically Loganholme, Queensland, 4129.

Ha, sorry, that budgets about 30 for shipping, so us only.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't think centric are sold here and what people here recommend me to buy that is sold here are $200 ea rotors and $130 for pads for 2 wheels and I don't think I need to spend that much .

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

I don't think centric are sold here and what people here recommend me to buy that is sold here are $200 ea rotors and $130 for pads for 2 wheels and I don't think I need to spend that much .

Get in touch with these guys, I've gotten stuff from them multiple times, no complaints at all.
http://www.gslrallysport.com/
Just use their quote page, their actual store doesn't ever list much.

From what I can tell, the Oz equivalent of Centric blanks/Stoptech pads seems to be DBA blanks/QFM HPX pads. Check any car forum for a "what rotors/pads should I get?" post, and DBA/QFM HPX almost always pops up.

The DBA blanks/QFM HPX pads for all 4 wheels on my 03 Forester was $343 shipped to Perth a couple months ago, definitely better pricing than anything else I found locally.

Edit:
Just looked back through my emails, I ordered the same thing from them back in Aug 2010, so I got 4.5 years and ~100k km out of them before the pads were down to the wear indicators and squealing like mad.

JBark fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Found them with free shipping! I'm going to order these when I get money on wednesday.