Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I hadn't thought about it, but it's true. When I was a teenager troubleshooting games crashing, it took me forever to fix things. Now I Google something for 5-10 minutes and get 2 or 3 things to try.

This was also before Facebook, though. So back then not trusting anyone on the internet was second nature. That probably helped me avoid the "fixes" that were virus downloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I spent 6 months getting my replacement's google fu up to speed. It really can be a bit of a skill

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FISHMANPET posted:

Man what industry are you in

Hahaha :ninja:

Lucky me I get to take a business trip this week to the bustling metropolis of SACRAMENTO! I get to go check in on the sort of equipment that you have to wear PPE and if you press the wrong button you end up on the news. I'll try to get some pictures if I can bring my phone inside.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

metavisual posted:

I agree totally. It's just that other people outside of this industry don't realize that. That don't look at it as a skill, even though they've seen, in practice, that it IS.

Honestly, my message is to the people inside the industry. Imposter syndrome was discussed on the last page, and people come into these threads with cases of it regularly. Again, because it's so second nature to us, many of us don't step back and think about what the troubleshooting process really entails, and how much work our own experience and knowledge do for us automatically. I like to point this out explicitly so IT people, especially the newcomers, will hopefully feel less anxious about it, or at least think about it.

Bhodi posted:

Otoh, "copy error verbatim into google, click on stack exchange" is easy enough an intern can do it.

Sure, if there's an error message to work with :v:. Of course then you have all the remaining steps, like evaluating the answers and discarding useless and/or harmful information and on and on. My point being that when an IT person thinks, "I just Google the problem am I really getting paid for this?" they aren't accurately representing the steps they actually take.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bhodi posted:

Otoh, "copy error verbatim into google, click on stack exchange" is easy enough an intern can do it.

See, knowing that Stack Exchange is a decent resource is part of the skills. I've seen co-workers spend hours trying to find an answer on Spiceworks or the HP support forums.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Honestly, my message is to the people inside the industry. Imposter syndrome was discussed on the last page, and people come into these threads with cases of it regularly. Again, because it's so second nature to us, many of us don't step back and think about what the troubleshooting process really entails, and how much work our own experience and knowledge do for us automatically. I like to point this out explicitly so IT people, especially the newcomers, will hopefully feel less anxious about it, or at least think about it.

Sure, if there's an error message to work with :v:. Of course then you have all the remaining steps, like evaluating the answers and discarding useless and/or harmful information and on and on. My point being that when an IT person thinks, "I just Google the problem am I really getting paid for this?" they aren't accurately representing the steps they actually take.

This is very true. If my wife went on Google to try and fix an error message that popped up, it would take her hours as she would have to look up referenced terminology, figure out which solution actually applied to her situation, etc.
It's also about knowing how to search. If my computer is crashing with an error message, searching for 'my computer is crashing' won't help much. 'error 0x00452' is better. The best would be attempting to identify what seems to be occurring when it crashed, perhaps a time or a specific program. 'word crash error 0x00452' should quickly find the problem.
And while I'm sure many of you think that is common sense, you probably don't deal with non-technical people often enough.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mrit posted:

This is very true. If my wife went on Google to try and fix an error message that popped up, it would take her hours as she would have to look up referenced terminology, figure out which solution actually applied to her situation, etc.
It's also about knowing how to search. If my computer is crashing with an error message, searching for 'my computer is crashing' won't help much. 'error 0x00452' is better. The best would be attempting to identify what seems to be occurring when it crashed, perhaps a time or a specific program. 'word crash error 0x00452' should quickly find the problem.
And while I'm sure many of you think that is common sense, you probably don't deal with non-technical people often enough.
As much as we self-deprecatingly talk about how much of our jobs is knowing what to punch into Google, it really is pretty much entirely about forming a reasonably complete and mostly-correct mental model about the forces at work in a problem scenario, and understanding the business processes and human factors that make it important.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Is it wrong that my brain keeps trying to interpret MSP as MS Paint?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Tab8715 posted:

Is there any reason not to use the Powershell ISE over the console 99% of the time?

Late reply but the ISE is not a true console environment, a few minor things don't work the same in the ISE as they do in the console. For example, this function, which Microsoft gives to replicate the PAUSE command in DOS,
code:
$x = $host.UI.RawUI.ReadKey("NoEcho,IncludeKeyDown")
errors out in the ISE but works perfectly fine in the console or ran as a script. Something to do with the ISE not 100% replicating all functionality in the console.

But it's minor stuff, so use whichever you feel like.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rassle posted:

Thank god I'm not alone here

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've said it before, but we are basically mechanics for computer systems. I know some of us are more like custom car builders, but the metaphor mostly holds.

It's just this kind of mechanic work doesn't give you a bad back and bloody knuckles.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've said it before, but we are basically mechanics for computer systems. I know some of us are more like custom car builders, but the metaphor mostly holds.

It's just this kind of mechanic work doesn't give you a bad back and bloody knuckles.

Racking servers can certainly do that for you too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I live in Minneapolis and the airport code is MSP and also that abbreviation is used other places so I always get really confused for a second when people start talking about MSPs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
"MSP" means something completely different here and this is what will always comes to mind when I read that acronym.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Immaturity? Maybe.

Being able to Google is great - you know you're on your game when you enter a phrase and an error code so perfectly that you don't even have to click the link to see the resolution, it's just immediately obvious what it is.

But that being said, it is wonderfully cathartic to Google what is actually on your mind from time to time. If Outlook is crashing with error 0x0491924B and the DLL is like, trendmicro.dll, sometimes it's a great stress relief valve to instead search for "why the gently caress would microsoft allow trend micro to crash outlook instead of just disabling the loving module?" that kind of thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Immaturity? Maybe.

Being able to Google is great - you know you're on your game when you enter a phrase and an error code so perfectly that you don't even have to click the link to see the resolution, it's just immediately obvious what it is.

But that being said, it is wonderfully cathartic to Google what is actually on your mind from time to time. If Outlook is crashing with error 0x0491924B and the DLL is like, trendmicro.dll, sometimes it's a great stress relief valve to instead search for "why the gently caress would microsoft allow trend micro to crash outlook instead of just disabling the loving module?" that kind of thing.

That example was far too specific to be something you made up.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

KillHour posted:

That example was far too specific to be something you made up.
lol, in truth that particular one is honestly off the top of my head, but I'll absolutely Google in that way when I've reached the "there's no way this problem should ever be a problem" portion of my day.

I do remember once Googling something about "what ignorant gently caress programmed an error in a pop up window that immediately closes?" or something equally aggressive, and ended up just browsing Stack Overflow for like two hours because it was more fun than trying to figure out why a program was crashing.

e: It's not an anger issue to be clear, I just like to Google the unfiltered version of it before I'm like "alright fine... time to google something more effective"

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 4, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

lol, in truth that particular one is honestly off the top of my head, but I'll absolutely Google in that way when I've reached the "there's no way this problem should ever be a problem" portion of my day.

I do remember once Googling something about "what ignorant gently caress programmed an error in a pop up window that immediately closes?" or something equally aggressive, and ended up just browsing Stack Overflow for like two hours because it was more fun than trying to figure out why a program was crashing.

e: It's not an anger issue to be clear, I just like to Google the unfiltered version of it before I'm like "alright fine... time to google something more effective"

It's okay. We all have anger issues.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Looking at a job posting and this second bullet point caught my eye:

lol what? Do employers think that this is a normal thing?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

beepsandboops posted:

I have been paid a pittance in my previous positions, I expect to continue being paid a pittance, and I aspire to one day earn a pittance.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Confidential. Six figures. And to quote Scott Hall, "beat me every night, I want a loving million."

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 4, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Also that job posting is one of the most Portland things I've ever seen. (Sorry.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just say I've been asked not to share my pay information with third parties. Someone in one of the negotiations thread asked everyone not to, so I'm not lying.

If they ask what I'm looking for, I just say something about the range posted on the job ad, or based off of the glassdoor range for similar roles. Then I add a caveat about how it depends on the exact responsibilities and benefits offered. That way I give myself plenty of room to negotiate.

Im still early in my career, though, so there may be a better way.

Edit: aside from salary requirements, that sounds a lot like my typical cover letter.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2015

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Also that job posting is one of the most Portland things I've ever seen. (Sorry.)
It's pretty bad, but I'm not even phased by that kinda thing anymore

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's an or, so just pick salary goals. Just PC up John goodman from the gambler.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a couple of very random IT questions:

1) You know those blank patch panels, that you pop a "keystone" into each cutout? Are all keystones and blank panels compatible with each other? I want to get a bunch of 1U 48-port panels but they have very limited selection and don't always sell with matched keystones.

2) Is there a way to coax a normal HP Laserjet printer to print a super long unbroken piece of paper? Like instead of 8.5"x11", can I just get a roll of paper that is 8.5"x300" or something and print a huge banner?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

To expand on that, it is true that I can generally perform any work that a mechanic can. I simply cannot do it quickly or efficiently because I do not have the tools or experience to diagnose problems quickly and to intuit the simplest or likely solution. For me to change the sparkplugs on my car, I certainly have that skillset, since it is an obviously user servicable part. I could probably do an engine swap and rebuild a transmission, but while those jobs would take a professional hours numbering in the 10s, it could take me hours numbering in the multiple hundreds. So I pay the pro, and use my specialized knowledge to make the money to do it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I have a couple of very random IT questions:

1) You know those blank patch panels, that you pop a "keystone" into each cutout? Are all keystones and blank panels compatible with each other? I want to get a bunch of 1U 48-port panels but they have very limited selection and don't always sell with matched keystones.

2) Is there a way to coax a normal HP Laserjet printer to print a super long unbroken piece of paper? Like instead of 8.5"x11", can I just get a roll of paper that is 8.5"x300" or something and print a huge banner?

1) Yes, they should be. However, I don't recommend keystone panels unless it's for a small number of ports (12 or less) or it's a mixed media panel (fiber, UTP, coax..). They can be a super pain in the rear end to service if you have issues, especially if you're using solid wire. Just get a normal 24 or 48 port panel and a 110 punch down tool and just pay attention to your wiring.

2) No idea, but I'm going to guess no outside of a custom paper feeder which is probably niche and super expensive. Plotters are usually used for continuous roll paper.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Rassle posted:

I wanted to MS Paint my brains all over my wall when I worked for a MSP. Does that count?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

beepsandboops posted:

This is becoming more common but why don't you link us to the ad so we may all apply?

hihifellow posted:

Late reply but the ISE is not a true console environment, a few minor things don't work the same in the ISE as they do in the console. For example, this function, which Microsoft gives to replicate the PAUSE command in DOS,
code:
$x = $host.UI.RawUI.ReadKey("NoEcho,IncludeKeyDown")
errors out in the ISE but works perfectly fine in the console or ran as a script. Something to do with the ISE not 100% replicating all functionality in the console.

But it's minor stuff, so use whichever you feel like.

That's incredibly interesting.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

See, knowing that Stack Exchange is a decent resource is part of the skills. I've seen co-workers spend hours trying to find an answer on Spiceworks or the HP support forums.

:suicide:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who does this :ha:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Well I got treated like an equal today and it was pretty nice. Until they told me I'd be cleaning the yard (raking loving dirt) for the next 4 days. I had already set up my own desk and build my own computer, put it on the domain and then I was pulled away to be told lolyourrakingdirt. I was given a tour, told about the AD structure, projects, shown the server room; then dirt.

If I wasn't so spineless I should have immediately said "No. There has been a misunderstanding here. I am here for a reason and that reason is not cleaning your yard."

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 5, 2015

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Methanar posted:

Well I got treated like an equal today and it was pretty nice. Until they told me I'd be cleaning the yard (raking loving dirt) for the next 4 days. I had already set up my own desk and build my own computer, put it on the domain and then I was pulled away to be told lolyourrakingdirt. I was given a tour, told about the AD structure, projects, shown the server room; then dirt.

If I wasn't so spineless I'd have immediately said "No. There has been a misunderstanding here. I am here for a reason and that reason is not cleaning your yard."

:what:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Got an email asking to schedule a phone interview for a Virtualization Systems Engineer position in VA. I think the only reason they even wanted to talk to me was because their PM works in the same unit as me and saw that I was studying for my VCP5 cert and his contract had just lost their VSE a few days earlier. Not going to lie that I think the position will be something far more advanced than I am familiar with, and frankly the challenge would be quite high and I don't think I'm quite there skill-wise.

Nonetheless if I'm not mistaken the going rate for a VSE with a Secret security clearance should earn me close to $115k, which is almost a 100% pay increase - for that kind of scratch I'd be willing to stretch myself and rise to the occasion. Of course, I don't have the job yet, and my lack of experience will make anyone leery about dropping everything into my hands, but at the very least I'll get to hear a bit about the position and responsibilities, find out what skills they're looking for (so I can work on them for possible future positions), and get a chance to talk to someone who has some serious technical skills.

Normally I would get really anxious about something like this, but for some reason I feel more bemused by the fact that they even want to talk to me - either their PM really has some serious pull and his suggestions carry a lot of weight, or they are so desperate that anyone with a pulse who is not a flaming retard, possesses a security clearance, and is close to earning his VCP is good enough as far as they're concerned.

Frankly I'm a bit ambivalent about a possible move to VA, but I suppose if it advances my career and puts me into the six-figure-salary club then I would be an idiot to pass it up if offered.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Methanar posted:

If I wasn't so spineless I'd have immediately said "No. There has been a misunderstanding here. I am here for a reason and that reason is not cleaning your yard."

Hahaha, what? :psypop:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Got an email asking to schedule a phone interview for a Virtualization Systems Engineer position in VA. I think the only reason they even wanted to talk to me was because their PM works in the same unit as me and saw that I was studying for my VCP5 cert and his contract had just lost their VSE a few days earlier. Not going to lie that I think the position will be something far more advanced than I am familiar with, and frankly the challenge would be quite high and I don't think I'm quite there skill-wise.

Nonetheless if I'm not mistaken the going rate for a VSE with a Secret security clearance should earn me close to $115k, which is almost a 100% pay increase - for that kind of scratch I'd be willing to stretch myself and rise to the occasion. Of course, I don't have the job yet, and my lack of experience will make anyone leery about dropping everything into my hands, but at the very least I'll get to hear a bit about the position and responsibilities, find out what skills they're looking for (so I can work on them for possible future positions), and get a chance to talk to someone who has some serious technical skills.

Normally I would get really anxious about something like this, but for some reason I feel more bemused by the fact that they even want to talk to me - either their PM really has some serious pull and his suggestions carry a lot of weight, or they are so desperate that anyone with a pulse who is not a flaming retard, possesses a security clearance, and is close to earning his VCP is good enough as far as they're concerned.

Frankly I'm a bit ambivalent about a possible move to VA, but I suppose if it advances my career and puts me into the six-figure-salary club then I would be an idiot to pass it up if offered.

Which part of VA? $115k in, say, Richmond goes a lot farther than $115k in the heart of Arlington.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

This is either a hilarious joke or you have zero self respect. Or possibly both.
Truly a computer janitor.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The explanation was that they have some Chinese company coming to look around and they wanted to make a good impression. Therefore make a bunch of new people springclean the yard. If I wasn't in such a crowded room at the time I would have spoken up, but being with so many other people who were okay with the yard cleaning ruined me. I'm sure that was intended.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
"That's not in my job description"

Aren't you in Canada too? You can probably get away with saying no a lot more before you get fired than down here in the U.S. It's been my experience with employers in general that they don't know how to react to people actually saying no when they make dumbass requests.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

psydude posted:

Which part of VA? $115k in, say, Richmond goes a lot farther than $115k in the heart of Arlington.

Langley AFB, VA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Langley AFB, VA
115k in Hampton is going to grant you a small Earldom.