Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

My most successful colony consisted of me choosing the biggest size of landing site, with shittons of mountains, build a single hallway into a mountain and make it self-sustainable. I transformed that single, longass hallway into a fiery trap of murder death.

It was moat from start to end, with several granite doors along the way. Next to each granite door were 2-block-long hallways with a turret on each side. The enemies would move so slowly and get ambushed on every door. No matter how many there were they would die eventually. By the way, if they blew up the turrets the splash damage would hurt them, too. I'm pretty sure splash damage was reduced recently.

The only downside was fixing it - because of the moat (30% walk speed or something) it could literally take days for the materials to be returned. By the time the pawn walked the ~30 blocks to the entrance he'd be red on food and sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait, enemies won't attack walls? I've been designing bases around natural walls because I thought enemies would attack player-made ones, but not natural rock. :(

At least my mountain fortress still looks cool.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Inacio posted:

My most successful colony consisted of me choosing the biggest size of landing site, with shittons of mountains, build a single hallway into a mountain and make it self-sustainable. I transformed that single, longass hallway into a fiery trap of murder death.

It was moat from start to end, with several granite doors along the way. Next to each granite door were 2-block-long hallways with a turret on each side. The enemies would move so slowly and get ambushed on every door. No matter how many there were they would die eventually. By the way, if they blew up the turrets the splash damage would hurt them, too. I'm pretty sure splash damage was reduced recently.

The only downside was fixing it - because of the moat (30% walk speed or something) it could literally take days for the materials to be returned. By the time the pawn walked the ~30 blocks to the entrance he'd be red on food and sleep.

The fix; service hallways! A speedy path along either side of your entrance hall that gets walled off during attacks, and unwalled during peace.

Danaru posted:

Wait, enemies won't attack walls? I've been designing bases around natural walls because I thought enemies would attack player-made ones, but not natural rock. :(

At least my mountain fortress still looks cool.

I think they will prefer open paths to bashing down doors, and massively prefer doors to smashing through player walls, but if there's an unbroken line of walls surrounding your base, they'll pick the closest spot and start bashing it down afaik.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I browse rimworld on reddit because the developer Tynan posts a lot there. Someone suggested importing switch-controlled floodgates from DF and calling them blast doors. Tynan said, "That's a great idea. I'll have to strongly consider it. I'm looking at an AI rework that will see enemies interact with walls/doors differently so this could be important for that." So hold on to your butts, we might get raids knocking down every wall in sight yet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/34m4ri/simple_game_mechanic_needed_blast_doors/

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 4, 2015

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Tommofork posted:

I browse rimworld on reddit because the developer Tynan posts a lot there. Someone suggested importing switch-controlled floodgates from DF and calling them blast doors. Tynan said, "That's a great idea. I'll have to strongly consider it. I'm looking at an AI rework that will see enemies interact with walls/doors differently so this could be important for that." So hold on to your butts, we might get raids knocking down every wall in sight yet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/34m4ri/simple_game_mechanic_needed_blast_doors/

This also opens up more cheesing though, with certain arrangements of opening and closing blast doors effectively "yo-yoing" enemies between two appearing and disappearing entry points. That would be fun though, so I support this 100%

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I build inside mountains as much as possible in preparedness for wall destroying enemies. That and I play DF a lot and I default to digging out a mountain colony.

Plek posted:

Getting the AI to recognize a killbox and react in some fashion would probably be best, right now they just sorta pile into wherever you want them to go.

Dwarf Fortress kind of handles this - if a bunch of goblins just see their buddies go into a hallway and get shredded in moments they'll stop charging and hang about. I don't think they'll calculate an alternate path sadly but at least they won't be lemmings.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Moridin920 posted:

I build inside mountains as much as possible in preparedness for wall destroying enemies. That and I play DF a lot and I default to digging out a mountain colony.

Dwarf Fortress kind of handles this - if a bunch of goblins just see their buddies go into a hallway and get shredded in moments they'll stop charging and hang about. I don't think they'll calculate an alternate path sadly but at least they won't be lemmings.

Dwarf Fortress is incredibly easy to turtle though - or at least it was before the military/traps revamp. Dwarves function best when they live their lives entirely underground, so only having one entrance to the colony, lined with horrific traps, is encouraged.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Enemies do attack walks, but not a binary thing, they examine the pathing steps required to get to your constructions and if it's far as gently caress and there are walls owned by you near them, then they'll bang on those instead. I've never seen them actually break through but they cause your colonists to go outside to repair the damage.

You can tell Tynan took some lessons from how dumb Dwarf Fortress can be at times, because you don't have stupid poo poo like cage traps, and siegers actually will tear up your poo poo if you just ignore them. It's much better to rush out and smash a siege force before they've even constructed their mortars. Frankly I think the "fix" to the "problem" of killboxes is to stop sending raids and only send sieges but on the other hand I don't really see a need to punish people for playing a risk-averse game.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think Tynan should just make enemy siegers build their own kill boxes to get to their mortars. See how the player likes it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See, you can tell Tynan doesn't want to do anything like that because that'd be a pretty easy solution. He's trying to give you rewards for defending with militia rather than punish you for digging in behind a thousand tiles of sandbags and turrets.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just make the militia have to man the guns. Then you could research from some WW2 era machine gun rigs with crews of 3-4 to modern laser guns where just one or two could operate them efficiently.

Or introduce an ammo system. Then you could also have ammo manufacturing as an industry and it would associate a maintenance cost to the turret spam.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

If you install one of the mods that adds the RPG-7 to the game and adds it to the pirates that attack you, they'll quite happily use it to blast through your weakest wall and completely bypass your killbox.

Now that was a rude awakening when playing on Randy Random Extreme.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Killboxes aren't bad, but I do wish they were slightly more interesting, and perhaps a little more sensible looking than the "massive courtyard surrounded on all sides with guns" or "endless corridor full of sentry guns" approach.

Give invaders a way to attack single defensive lines to encourage defence in depth, give colonists better fortification options for small spaces so that building a big defensive works is less efficient than smaller defenses (stuff like single shielded fire ports which are expensive and use power but give colonists behind them a shield buffer as well as cover would fit this idea) and doing things like making turrets better, but with high power costs/other maintenence costs would be good, I think.

Essentially making players choose where to put their defences would improve the fortification aspects I think, if you could build really good turrets and fortifications but running them was so power intensive that you would need big battery banks dedicated to them, as well as needing to remote control them with colonists, it'd make it more of a resource management game. Ammo considerations for heavy weapons could be a consideration here too, as well as things like minimum ranges on the turrets so that they couldn't defend themselves against melee attackers or sappers, requiring more cover from your colonists.

There's a lot you can do to force people to at least vary their approach to attacks depending on their composition and resources, if your power recently failed you should have trouble running turrets, if the enemy is built to beat turrets or walls you should be more proactive with your defenders, that sort of thing. The main sound objection to killboxes is that they are a fairly universal design and don't require much input from the player once constructed, so they're not as engaging as the game could be.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Killboxes would work better if the AI could identify them and work around them. Defence in depth would be nice but currently the AI prioritizes cover over anything else so will happy charge through your 5 mingunners, climb over the sandbags and walk past your guys to take up cover behind them, which makes effective defence in depth difficult. If enemies had some kind of penalty to movespeed or had to go prone while moving under heavy fire it would make non-killbox stratagies much better.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

An ammo system would be amazing, and I think would pave the way for weapon construction. Your huge fuckoff energy cannon isn't so gamebreaking when you only have ten shots for it and no way of resupplying it with the materials you have on hand.

I also think that changing the way turrets work is a great idea. As-is, they're so hands-off that once you get a decent killbox/corridor running you literally can just stop paying attention. I think it'd be a cool concept to have manned turrets, which give way to remote computer controlled turrets, which give way to ai-controlled turrets (requiring an AI core to operate).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

From the daily changelog,

• Fixed enemies so they can ignite buildings again.
  • It's now possible to hold doors open. Autodoors will remote open/close, while simple doors will be left open when a colonist passes. Enemies and animals can pass through held-open doors, and anyone can shoot through held-open doors.
  • Colonists will automatically, opportunistically pack meals into their inventory.
  • Damage doesn’t affect market value or apparel armor until it is down to a certian percentage.
  • Restructured save data a bit to consistently put game version and mods at the top.

Enemies couldn't ignite buildings? Also, packed lunches are a thing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tommofork posted:

• Damage doesn’t affect market value or apparel armor until it is down to a certian percentage.

Thank gently caress

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tommofork posted:

Autodoors will remote open/close, while simple doors will be left open when a colonist passes.

This sounds annoying as hell if I'm reading it right. How does the door get closed again after a colonist passes? Do you have to go in and tell someone to close it?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I imagine you flick a "leave the god damned door open behind you" toggle on the door, and pawns will leave the god damned door open behind them when they pass. If you turn the toggle on/off I'd imagine a pawn will run to it and open/close it like they turn switches on/off if no one is passing through.

Danaru posted:

Thank gently caress

Yeah that's a really good change to minimize me obsessively changing gear every time something slightly better comes up.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Tommofork posted:

I imagine you flick a "leave the god damned door open behind you" toggle on the door, and pawns will leave the god damned door open behind them when they pass. If you turn the toggle on/off I'd imagine a pawn will run to it and open/close it like they turn switches on/off if no one is passing through.

This is a good change, I remember in my first game getting frustrated that I couldn't get my colonists to take cover indoors and shoot through the doorway. I'm keen for windows to be implemented too; half cover, lets light in, functions like a vent when open, and a fairly permeable wall temperature-wise when closed. It would be impassable when closed and really slow down colonists/have a high path cost when open, and have really low health.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Double post but holy gently caress do not install the Clutter mod, it adds some neat little things to put around your base, but the tradeoff is that the text was written by a loving 12 year old 4channer;

The Research Screen posted:

It took around 2 hours and a colonist that can read., to page thrugh 1 page long of fireproof, blastproof and squieerl proof survival guide, that was found in pod debris. It was short and very helpfull. Point 1. If you survived the crash, remmber help is NOT comming. Point 2. if you didnt survive the crash remmber help is NOT comming.

It was perrty simple math for him, for each square arm he could fit 1,7 square leg. Raiders ware always so helpfull as a measurement tools, especialy when they ware dead. Thanks to that hes new designs could widhtand 20 units of squieerl force per second, for entire 2,6 seconds, thats 0,3 more than any existing design!. Yes that was a stroke of genius.

It was preety hard to convince some colonists that you cant grow muffalo meat on hydrophonic table, it was also hard to convince other colonist that plants on hydroponic table wasnt a smoking weed. Also most showed concern that they cant grow trees, which would be a good hiding place in case of squieerl attack. Which lead to idea of... making more coffie. And a bigger version of plant pot, stucked in the ground.

What the gently caress how do you manage to code an alright mod, but gently caress up the actual text so god drat much?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I literally only use it for that really nice looking floor light, I ignore every other thing included with it.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Konig posted:

Double post but holy gently caress do not install the Clutter mod, it adds some neat little things to put around your base, but the tradeoff is that the text was written by a loving 12 year old 4channer;

Or ... just don't read the descriptions?

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Drunk in Space posted:

Or ... just don't read the descriptions?

B-BUT MY IMMERSION!

But yeah it's a weird thing in my brain, I just find glaring spelling and grammar mistakes really jarring, to the point that I'm considering proofing the mod's text.

This game made me try out DF again, and Rimworld has it beat in terms of everything except depth. Also DF has become unplayable on my computer thanks to all the FPS-hogging bloat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah same problem for me. Also eventually Tynan will add a lot of the depth of DF, but minus 80% of the clunk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zombie Apocalypse Mod should be done in a few days:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3635.msg130581#msg130581

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah same problem for me. Also eventually Tynan will add a lot of the depth of DF, but minus 80% of the clunk.

If RimWorld has Z levels it'd immediately get a lot deeper. Digging down only to find creepy stuff would be great.
Also more space for basebuilding

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Am I the only person who never builds into mountains? I like to build actual towns, with separate buildings for everything and roads separating them and a big central village square. I suppose it's wasteful of resources but I find it more fun to build, and it's also more enjoyable to defend because you have tactical options beyond 'slaughter everyone as they human-wave down your central corridor'.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Inacio posted:

If RimWorld has Z levels it'd immediately get a lot deeper. Digging down only to find creepy stuff would be great.
Also more space for basebuilding

Having a hundred z levels like DF is pretty dumb, but just 1 subterranean level with new hazards would be nice. Im thinkong graboids and more dangerous crypts

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
You need infinite z levels that way you can make giant plasteel dick fortresses, with which to intimidate and murder your foes.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Heffer posted:

Having a hundred z levels like DF is pretty dumb, but just 1 subterranean level with new hazards would be nice. Im thinkong graboids and more dangerous crypts

I'd also like to be able to build up a few levels, for multi-story buildings and sniper towers. And maybe some big pre-generated surface ruins on some maps you can explore/die in/refurbish.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah, DF-scale Z-levels are silly, but I could really go for a little bit of verticalness. You'd have to add some advanced ventilation mechanics though to get hot/cold air throughout the place underground though. Admittedly, even in the current flatland an AC system wouldn't go amiss.

Aboveground sniper towers and sentry emplacements, belowground storage and ancient evil bad things, that sort of thing would be super cool. That's really one of the key issues I have with Rimworld, it's very WYSIWYG.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3 or 2.5 Z layers (underground, ground, elevated) would potentially be quite good, but yeah full 3d has been ruled out explicitly and I don't think the game needs it.

But yeah being able to shoot over walls and maybe build basements would be nice. The elevated layer could probably be shown on the standard view, just grey it out when you mouse over it and have drop shadows to indicate height or something.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Inacio posted:

If RimWorld has Z levels it'd immediately get a lot deeper.

:rimshot:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Heh, I thought someone would do that earlier :v:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A tribe attacked my rainforest colony during a massive heatwave and their warband ended up collapsing due to heat stroke before actually reaching my defenses.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
From the change log:

- Refactored raid styles into encapsulated RaidStrategyDefs.
- Working on improving raid AI to not fall into traps over and over...

Exciting.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I think it would be kind of interesting if you'd have raiders show up on the map not just to gently caress up your poo poo but maybe just traveling from A to B like people from neutral factions do, or maybe to hunt stuff or scavenge scrap metal and other loose junk laying around the map. It seems kind of weird that every fight with raiders has to be some kind of existential threat to your settlement, and can't just be chance encounters between two rag-tag groups (you and the pirates) competing for resources on a poor backwater planet. So maybe they'd just show up on the map and do their thing without a problem and leave, but you'd also have to keep an eye on your hunters and haulers because maybe they'll run into a small gang of pirates and have to fight for their lives.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well on the other hand, what the hell else would they be wandering past for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Well on the other hand, what the hell else would they be wandering past for.

...because they are wandering?

ChickenWing posted:

An ammo system would be amazing, and I think would pave the way for weapon construction. Your huge fuckoff energy cannon isn't so gamebreaking when you only have ten shots for it and no way of resupplying it with the materials you have on hand.

I also think that changing the way turrets work is a great idea. As-is, they're so hands-off that once you get a decent killbox/corridor running you literally can just stop paying attention. I think it'd be a cool concept to have manned turrets, which give way to remote computer controlled turrets, which give way to ai-controlled turrets (requiring an AI core to operate).

Will the raids become more complex than a bunch of idiots beelining it for your base, with the only additional challenge being volume and finding some dumb gimmick to deal with it?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 9, 2015