Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

The Milanese is good for the price but I didn't quite like how thin it was. I'm very happy with my black sport band right now and it looks a lot better with my SS than I thought it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Saturday night my 38 week, 4 days pregnant wife and I were out for dinner. She left her purse and phone at the table to go to the restroom about 60 feet away. Her water broke and she was able to text me from her watch that she was going into labor.

What is this watch for? :agesilaus:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

gohmak posted:

Saturday night my 38 week, 4 days pregnant wife and I were out for dinner. She left her purse and phone at the table to go to the restroom about 60 feet away. Her water broke and she was able to text me from her watch that she was going into labor.

If you relay this to Apple, I'd think you have a better than zero chance at being offered some kind of free poo poo/$ to be part of an ad campaign.

No, seriously, you should email them now. The company that flew a model to the third world to run a marathon and kiss poor, dying black babies while wearing a watch would LOVE to get on this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

gohmak posted:

Congrats on the new human! :3:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't think you could type actual texts on the watch. Did she send you a baby emoji or something?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I didn't think you could type actual texts on the watch. Did she send you a baby emoji or something?

She sent her heartbeat and he just knew

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You can send texts via dictation.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
But then everyone in the other stalls can hear you.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It may be frowned upon, but once that baby is coming you tend to lose most of your social graces.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

~Coxy posted:

Oh no my water broke but I hope no one heaaaaars meeeeee

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Help Im Alive posted:

She sent her heartbeat and he just knew

I would actually need my Apple Watch with link bracelet for the heartbeat thing to work.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

~Coxy posted:

There was loud music and the bathroom was empty. If she didn't have the watch she would have been in some trouble.

I just sent the story to Tim.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Probably could've guessed before, but "Made for Apple Watch" (for third party stuff) is officially a thing now. So far the page for bands is up:

https://developer.apple.com/watch/bands/

And another for "accessories" (mentioned in the bands PDF) but the URL is 404 right now.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'll be curious how the third patty band ecosystem takes off, it already felt inevitable... But I wonder if there's going to be something weird going on with the proper "Made for Apple Watch" licensing sort of like the hoops accessory manufacturers jump through to get the "Made for iPhone" stamp of approval that ends up making everything artificially expensive. Either way, I'm sure everyone who didn't just order a sport band (like yours truly) is going to feel super dumb when the third party market inevitably releases way cheaper and way nicer bands than Apple.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I still read Gizmodo.

Gizmodo posted:

As is tradition, Apple did a lot of things to screw up its first Apple Watch, battery life and tattoo-phobic sensors just being two examples.

Is there a tech blog without the bias (that also doesn't flip the other direction like Macrumors)?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

io_burn posted:

I'll be curious how the third patty band ecosystem takes off, it already felt inevitable... But I wonder if there's going to be something weird going on with the proper "Made for Apple Watch" licensing sort of like the hoops accessory manufacturers jump through to get the "Made for iPhone" stamp of approval that ends up making everything artificially expensive. Either way, I'm sure everyone who didn't just order a sport band (like yours truly) is going to feel super dumb when the third party market inevitably releases way cheaper and way nicer bands than Apple.

I imagine part of the price inflation on other MFI stuff is that if you want to make hardware that uses the lightning connector, then you must purchase the connector hardware (with the DRM chip inside) from Apple to put onto your device.

To add insult to injury for those manufacturers, the connectors were backordered for some time last fall; Apple was using all the production capacity to manufacture their own cables to bundle with every new iPhone 6.

I'm assuming there will be some expensive certification process to get the MFI logo on your watch band packaging and be able to actually call it a band for an Apple Watch without incurring a trademark violation.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is there a tech blog without the bias (that also doesn't flip the other direction like Macrumors)?

Ars Technica?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ars and Anandtech are generally pretty objective.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm assuming there will be some expensive certification process to get the MFI logo on your watch band packaging and be able to actually call it a band for an Apple Watch without incurring a trademark violation.

This is exactly what they do with MFi game controllers and the reason why this costs $79.99 and the Android equivalent which looked and functioned identically (aside from using open Bluetooth standards instead of being locked into the Apple universe) retailed for $19.99. One of the many wonderful things about Apple stuff!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do love that they are blaming Apple for optical sensors not working on people that have purposefully injected opaque pigment into their skin, what is their proposed solution? I suppose they could have gone with Jawbone's bio impedance sensors, wait, those are complete poo poo.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Three Olives posted:

I do love that they are blaming Apple for optical sensors not working on people that have purposefully injected opaque pigment into their skin, what is their proposed solution? I suppose they could have gone with Jawbone's bio impedance sensors, wait, those are complete poo poo.

Spoilered just in case no one wants the Gizmodo magic ruined- The Gawker network is fueled by driving traffic and social sharing through faux-outrage.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Endless Mike posted:

Ars and Anandtech are generally pretty objective.

Yeah it's why they don't get units prior to release

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
If you want truly objective reporting on Apple look no further than http://daringfireball.net

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

io_burn posted:

This is exactly what they do with MFi game controllers and the reason why this costs $79.99 and the Android equivalent which looked and functioned identically (aside from using open Bluetooth standards instead of being locked into the Apple universe) retailed for $19.99. One of the many wonderful things about Apple stuff!

MFi bluetooth devices have to include a security chip that Apple keeps under lock and key. Also any apps that get submitted to the app store that want to use an MFi device have to be registered by the device manufacturer with apple and then disclosed of in the manifest file of the application.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

io_burn posted:

If you want truly objective reporting on Apple look no further than http://daringfireball.net

I know you're trolling but I think he's actually better the people give him credit for. I consider him a partisan that's not afraid to say when something is bad. When he goes deep into being a fan boy you get weird things like that middle school story in his apple watch review though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

io_burn posted:

How much does testing cost in the grand scheme of things?

quote:

Exposed edges of bands and lugs must pass UL 1349 tests for sharpness of edges on equipment and BS EN71-1:2014, Safety of Toys - Mechanical and physical properties .

quote:

Bands and lugs should:
pass a 72 hour salt mist test as specified in ASTM B117 with no visible corrosion resist a 5-20 kgf lateral slide-out force when installed in Apple Watch
resist a 20 kgf or greater pull force as specified in ISO-6245:1996, Specifications for Diver's Watches , section 7.3

quote:

Bands for Apple Watch must comply with applicable environmental regulations in the regions in which such bands are to be sold, and any applicable substance or material restrictions, including applicable restrictions on the following substances:
organic tin compounds, PFOS, PFOA, phthalates, azo dyes, and PAHs, per requirements of the EU REACh regulation EC 1907/2006
nickel leach rate on surfaces in prolonged skin contact, per requirements of the EU REACh regulation EC 1907/2006
cadmium, lead, hexavalent chromium, and nickel, per requirements of EU Directive 2009/48/EC natural rubber latex, per requirements of EU Directive EC 93/42/EEC
dimethylfumarate (DMFu), per requirements of EU Regulation 412/2012
pH and Formaldehyde, per requirements of China GB 18401 for textiles and China GB 20400 for leather endangered species of flora and fauna in products or packaging (US Lacey Act)
There's other Apple specific regulations on top of that but that's the official regulatory body stuff. I'd guess a large part of whatever inflation is just added profit beyond whatever certification costs of course.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

japtor posted:

How much does testing cost in the grand scheme of things?

It's hard to say, at least on the MFi controller side of things I've never been able to get to the bottom of it because Apple Store distribution is so valuable that you'll never get specific details, just off the cuff comments from a bunch of different people that you can kinda sorta piece together into what's probably happening. It comes down to three things really: 1. the MFi chips and stuff come direct from Apple and sometimes can be the most expensive single component in a device. 2. The actual certification process itself is time consuming and expensive. 3. Apple has a lot of sway when it comes to the price points of things it sells in their stores, so you sell your product at the price Apple tells you to in order to avoid rocking the boat with your most important distribution channel.

Again no one ever comes out and says all this, but you hear similarly themed quips across the spectrum from anyone making MFi stuff when you ask why something is so expensive when it feels like it should be so much cheaper.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I've noticed that my watch is referring to me as "Me" in activity alerts and such ("Way to go, Me!"). I've seen screenshots with owners' actual names. Why isn't mine using my contact card? Siri on the phone knows my contact card.

Yup, 1st world problem

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

io_burn posted:

It's hard to say, at least on the MFi controller side of things I've never been able to get to the bottom of it because Apple Store distribution is so valuable that you'll never get specific details, just off the cuff comments from a bunch of different people that you can kinda sorta piece together into what's probably happening. It comes down to three things really: 1. the MFi chips and stuff come direct from Apple and sometimes can be the most expensive single component in a device. 2. The actual certification process itself is time consuming and expensive. 3. Apple has a lot of sway when it comes to the price points of things it sells in their stores, so you sell your product at the price Apple tells you to in order to avoid rocking the boat with your most important distribution channel.

Again no one ever comes out and says all this, but you hear similarly themed quips across the spectrum from anyone making MFi stuff when you ask why something is so expensive when it feels like it should be so much cheaper.

Yeah. I asked in the Cavern of Cobol iOS dev thread because I was looking to write an iPad app to talk to a Bluetooth label printer.

Here's what I learned. There is a completely and totally ridiculous Made for iPhone certification chain for bluetooth devices like that. The device first has to be MFI certified itself.

You then have to submit the app to the device vendor, who will whitelist it. They can impose their own conditions on whitelisting. Zebra, for instance, wants a copy of your app provisioned for ad-hoc distribution (they'll give you a UDID) and then after it meets some "it won't gently caress up while printing" standard of theirs, then they'll whitelist it. "Zebra may request modification to your app before final approval."

Finally, the vendor gives you a "product plan ID code" which you are to put into the App Store review notes when you submit the app.

gently caress that.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I've noticed that my watch is referring to me as "Me" in activity alerts and such ("Way to go, Me!"). I've seen screenshots with owners' actual names. Why isn't mine using my contact card? Siri on the phone knows my contact card.

Yup, 1st world problem

Do you have your Watch in first person mode?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Walked posted:

Do you have your Watch in first person mode?

So it would seem.

(I assume you're joking)

edit: turns out I had "Me" in the nickname field of my own card. No idea how that got there!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lexicon posted:

So it would seem.

(I assume you're joking)

edit: turns out I had "Me" in the nickname field of my own card. No idea how that got there!

"Remind me to do x" ? Though I imagine it is smart enough to handle that kind of command without adding in a nickname to your own contact.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Probably a late night existential "Who are you?" "I am me." conversation you had with Siri.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I really like the sun watch face. You can turn the crown and the sun moves along the line. Let it rest and it'll show how long until (or since) that time.

Plus when you pick it up from the charger in the morning, it animates like a tiny sunrise on your wrist. :3:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I occasionally go halfway through the order process for a Watch on the Apple site, just to see what availability is. I don't know if it means anything, but there's text that shows whether your watch configuration is available at your local Apple Store (it's not, currently). I'm wondering how soon it will be before you'll be able to order a Watch online and just walk over to your nearest store and pick it up.

Also, surprisingly, among the half-dozen or so people who I've run into with a watch, none of them have black/black Sport models.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So I am having an issue where certain events on my calendar are not showing up on the watch. These events are in my work's Outlook calendar and they were invites from people outside of my company for meetings that I've accepted. Those events show up on the Calendar app on the iPhone yet they're not showing up on my calendar on my watch. Meanwhile, other events in the Outlook calendar, including invites to meetings from co-workers, do show up on the watch. I've set the watch to mirror my iPhone under the Calendar settings of the Apple Watch app. Does anyone have any ideas regarding why those events would not show up on my watch?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

Also, surprisingly, among the half-dozen or so people who I've run into with a watch, none of them have black/black Sport models.

I saw a black/black this Sunday at a bar so they are out there.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is the black/black sport model really black? It looks dark in the picture, but they call the color space gray, and I know my space gray iPhone/iPad don't look that dark in real life.

Because of that I thought the only "black" model you could get was the Space Black aluminum one, which also obligated you to get a $500 band for it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Is the black/black sport model really black? It looks dark in the picture, but they call the color space gray, and I know my space gray iPhone/iPad don't look that dark in real life.

Because of that I thought the only "black" model you could get was the Space Black aluminum one, which also obligated you to get a $500 band for it.

You mean steel? The black/black sport is pretty dark, I think the black band probably makes it look darker though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone with a milanese on order got a shipping update? I was late to the party ordering and all I have listed is "June."

• Locked thread