Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I don't think there's a really, REALLY bright line between Lore and Occult, but the distinction isn't any more outlandish than that between Presence and Socialize or Craft (Arms) and Craft (Armor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Nessus posted:

This gets into philosophy-of-science territory, but I always thought there were actually fair points to that. Exalted is sufficiently rabid in its animism that knowing the spirit-laws and so forth is probably actually something that could be studied in a rigorous kind of way. Of course, to some people 'science' means 'robots and mecha suits and like, computers, man' so welp

The mecha suits never really felt out of theme to me, but maybe I'm poisoned by anime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nihnoz posted:

The mecha suits never really felt out of theme to me, but maybe I'm poisoned by anime.
Eh, it depended how they were presented. 'Ancient crypto-sorcerous super robots or enchanted giant armor suits' vs. 'Bubblegum Crisis hardsuits, but like... motonic man.' I did like those Juicer suits they had in Lookshy.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Nihnoz posted:

I don't think that's the point there. It's that scientists in our world scoff at 'magic' when we can't find evidence for it. In Creation, it's everywhere. Thus in a world with magic, the scientific method would accommodate it into theories; hence why you end up with Devonian and Silurian schools of sorcery. It's very much an oWoD-ish view to perceive science and magic as opposed forces, born of out of regressive writing in the old White Wolf game lines.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nihnoz posted:

Escaflowne is a pretty good inspiration, what with the fantasy kingdoms fighting each other and dragons and magic and bad guys manipulating destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnP5Sxd49Y

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Escaflowne is a pretty good inspiration, what with the fantasy kingdoms fighting each other and dragons and magic and bad guys manipulating destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnP5Sxd49Y

In the big ol appendix of inspirational material they put in every White Wolf book, Escaflone's been listed for previous exalted books.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
This video is low-quality, but guymelefs from Escaflowne are a great inspiration for warstriders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ZZiiwrgZw

Guymelefs in the series are slow and weighty, are physically exhausting to use, have limited range of vision, and generally don't have built-in weapons (with the exception of the bad guys' sleek scifi-style guymelefs), which all adds up to make them feel like giant suits of armor in a visceral way instead of being like piloting a vehicle.

They're also powered by crystallized dragon hearts, which goes well with hearthstones and such.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I've successfully made "Zenith who isn't sure if he's an Anathema or not despite the Unconquered Sun's visitation." in Ex3, and the dynamic I had going for him is entirely supported by the new Solar Charms.

Barfighting Peasant Revolutionary Dawn is also ridiculously feasible.

Imma call this edition good.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

ErichZahn posted:

Imma call this edition good.

If it ever comes out.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah, but... Written out like that...
Doesn't really sound that good and hope inspiring, does it?

Especially the "almost no info" and "yet another time the ball was yanked away" bits being cyclical. :-/

What I really hate is that some stupid file pirates are brazenly playing Ex3 games right now, and that it takes some willpower to not go read any of it, while legitimate customers and backers are still in almost 90% darkness.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ferrinus posted:

What I really hate is that some stupid file pirates are brazenly playing Ex3 games right now, and that it takes some willpower to not go read any of it, while legitimate customers and backers are still in almost 90% darkness.

Been playing it for a month and still not gotten into combat just to taunt those without. We are bad at testing new systems.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, but... Written out like that...
Doesn't really sound that good and hope inspiring, does it?

Especially the "almost no info" and "yet another time the ball was yanked away" bits being cyclical. :-/

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Ferrinus posted:

I backed the drat thing, I feel no qualms about using the leak.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ferrinus posted:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Kenlon posted:

I backed the drat thing, I feel no qualms about using the leak.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Seriously though they have one hundred and ten of my dollars, I feel perfectly okay having a really good time with the version of the rules that doesn't have the Thomas Edison Incredible Electric Layout or whatever the hell

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah Ferrinus, why would you say something like that? Backers have already paid for Exalted twofold, both in money and in their dignity. It's very rude of you to question this price.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

nrook posted:

Yeah Ferrinus, why would you say something like that? Backers have already paid for Exalted twofold, both in money and in their dignity. It's very rude of you to question this price.

That's an unsourced quote :ssh:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I honestly prefer the Atomic Robo hack, but it's like a 55-45 preference. Meaning that I might just play both in the same campaign! :black101:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

ErichZahn posted:

I honestly prefer the Atomic Robo hack, but it's like a 55-45 preference. Meaning that I might just play both in the same campaign! :black101:

Have you had a look at Feng Shui 2? I haven't seen the Atomic Robo rpg, but from what I've read of the comic I bet they'd be similar in tone. I feel like FS2 and Exalted bookend the 'wuxia melodrama' TTRPG in kind of the same way Unforgiven and Blazing Saddles bookend the Western.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly the leak was the best thing that could've happened for the devs.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
My only complaint about the leak is that StephenLS won't come around here no more until the actual game is out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

My only complaint about the leak is that StephenLS won't come around here no more until the actual game is out.

If anything he's doing a favor to himself by not posting here.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

If anything he's doing a favor to himself by not posting here.

He didn't seem to be enjoying himself here, no.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Fans posted:

Been playing it for a month and still not gotten into combat just to taunt those without. We are bad at testing new systems.

I ran everyone through a series of 1v1 combat with the elite troops over the course of a couple days to get the hang of the combat system. The cool thing was that everyone had a different strategy for dealing with them.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Transient People posted:

That's an unsourced quote :ssh:

I'm aware.

Lord Pomposity
Apr 19, 2015
Also backed out at the $110 level, also using the leak to run a game. The attitude of Rich and the writers makes me wish only the second half of that was true, but it's too late for refunds now.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Honestly the leak was the best thing that could've happened for the devs.

The first leak occurred because

1. Certain documents were publicly viewable on Google docs.
2a. Someone linked it on 4chan after being brought into the team's confidence.
2b. Some curious soul guessed 1 and linked it on 4chan instead of telling the team their fly was down.

It also confirmed the game was real and had good ideas in it. That certain people felt they needed such is an insult to the team's professional pride. A writer's pride as a writer is an important part of writing. It also isn't done yet.

The second leak was someone putting the PDF on a filesharing site deliberately.

The leaking of Beast playtest docs was a (politically motivated?) attempt by a playtester to get a freelancer who wasn't involved with Beast fired.

Leaks are serious business. The way they've handled the Ex3 leaks has been to actively ignore it, which is probably best. It also tamps down on discussion until release. That might even be a good thing! I don't know; they sure aren't going to tell us internal policy and plans, likely because some would interpret it as a promise and it hasn't been pinned down yet.

I mean, I'm still going to read the Exalted leak, because I've no qualms illegally obtaining a leak of a game I've paid for, but I'm staying the gently caress away from the Beast leak because I don't want to encourage or participate in the shenanigans that spawned it.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

People would have cared way less about the Exalted leaks if they were actually given official information.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
You should stay away from the Beast leak because it's garbage, not because of some bizarre proxy war about the ethics of leaking material.

And whatever pride the Exalted team took in their professionalism should have given up the ghost around their third or fourth missed deadline. Deadlines are the most important part of professional writing, freelance or otherwise. They are literally more important than quality. That's not to say that's how consumers should prioritize their opinions on a product -- the end user is always going to care more about how the sausage tastes, not how it was made. But you don't get to be two years late on a deliverable and then complain about how you feel insulted, as a professional, when people need reassurances of their investment in you. That's not how this works. It makes you look like an amateur with no perspective or respect for the people you're working with and for. I suspect that's one reason why, to my knowledge, the Exalted devs are not going down that path publicly -- but it's not an argument anyone else should be making for them, either.

Crion fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 6, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Crion posted:

You should stay away from the Beast leak because it's garbage, not because of some bizarre proxy war about the ethics of leaking material.

And whatever pride the Exalted team took in their professionalism should have given up the ghost around their third or fourth missed deadline. Deadlines are the most important part of professional writing, freelance or otherwise. They are literally more important than quality. That's not to say that's how consumers should prioritize their opinions on a product -- the end user is always going to care more about how the sausage tastes, not how it was made. But you don't get to be two years late on a deliverable and then complain about how you feel insulted, as a professional, when people need reassurances of their investment in you. That's not how this works.

idk, Exalted 2E was able to meet its deadline, yet I was still much happier with the 3E alpha leaks that still only had a third of the game completed.

As far as I know Dragonblooded 2E and Sidereals 2E also were released on time, though that wasn't that hard given that they copy-pasted 1E mechanics into a system that was no longer compatible with them.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 6, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Bedlamdan posted:

idk, Exalted 2E was able to meet its deadline, yet I was still much happier with the 3E alpha leaks that still only had a third of the game completed.

As far as I know Dragonblooded 2E and Sidereals 2E also were released on time, though that wasn't that hard given that they copy-pasted 1E mechanics into a system that was no longer compatible with them.

Crion, moments ago, in the very post Bedlamdan quoted, posted:

That's not to say that's how consumers should prioritize their opinions on a product -- the end user is always going to care more about how the sausage tastes, not how it was made.

We're having a discussion about professionalism here. The leak was framed as an attack on the devs' professionalism. If you miss your deadlines on a paid writing job, you haven't shown professionalism in your work. Full stop. You can still have talent, good ideas, and a quality product! But you haven't acted professionally. And honestly, that's not the most important thing in the world to do. I'd prefer a good product, personally. But professionalism was what we were talking about, and it's something this entire development process has lacked.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Crion posted:

We're having a discussion about professionalism here. The leak was framed as an attack on the devs' professionalism. If you miss your deadlines on a paid writing job, you don't have any professionalism. You can have talent, good ideas, and a quality product, sure. But you don't have professionalism. And professionalism honestly isn't the most important thing in the world. I'd prefer a good product, personally. But professionalism was what we were talking about.

Oh ok, yeah none of them are professionals so much as inmates now running the asylum.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
And the contrast here is stark because regardless of what people might think of the quality of some of the other Onyx Path Publishing material, every other team working under that umbrella has been extremely professional with regards to meeting their deadlines and delivering their products.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crion posted:

And the contrast here is stark because regardless of what people might think of the quality of some of the other Onyx Path Publishing material, every other team working under that umbrella has been extremely professional with regards to meeting their deadlines and delivering their products.
Yeah, I bet I get my Wraith 20th PDF before Ex3 ships.

To be fair of course I imagine Wraith 20th will not really be making a new mechanical system or what-have-you, and is less ambitious as a project in some ways.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ah, but, DID third edition even have an official deadline, or was it always rough guesswork without formal obligation?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Being unable to set a deadline is, in many ways, even less professional than being unable to keep one.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I bet I get my Wraith 20th PDF before Ex3 ships.

To be fair of course I imagine Wraith 20th will not really be making a new mechanical system or what-have-you, and is less ambitious as a project in some ways.

I think the health thing also caused a lot of problems, but w/e I do think Crion's right that they're not professionals as they are literal fanboys who willingly worked for peanuts to write a frigging rpg book.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Crion posted:

Being unable to set a deadline is, in many ways, even less professional than being unable to keep one.

I would rather have a system that was good than have a deadline that they met. Of course, if they really were doing it right, we would have had the rules available to backers a long drat time ago, and would have actually listened to feedback. (Where's my drat functional Bureaucracy system, dammit?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Kenlon posted:

I would rather have a system that was good than have a deadline that they met. Of course, if they really were doing it right, we would have had the rules available to backers a long drat time ago, and would have actually listened to feedback. (Where's my drat functional Bureaucracy system, dammit?)

Crion, again, posted:

That's not to say that's how consumers should prioritize their opinions on a product -- the end user is always going to care more about how the sausage tastes, not how it was made.

This is the weird thing about professionalism, and why it's not really a good thing so much as it a neutral descriptor: it has absolutely nothing to do with quality. I, too, being an end-user myself, would prefer a quality product over a bad product that was delivered precisely on time. Most of the lowest-quality writing in the world -- and I'm not talking just RPGs here, but in other sectors, especially long-form journalism or editorial commentary -- gets published because the people who write it are consummate professionals.

That said, this:

ErichZahn posted:

It also confirmed the game was real and had good ideas in it. That certain people felt they needed such is an insult to the team's professional pride. A writer's pride as a writer is an important part of writing. It also isn't done yet.

is not a legitimate critique of the leak in light of the product's development cycle. Professional respect is earned. Especially professional respect coming from investors. It hasn't been earned here.

Crion fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread