Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jagchosis posted:

that's an amphibian

Reread what you're quoting.

106AD:
  • Change of Han Hedi to Han Shangdi of the Chinese Eastern Han Dynasty. First and the only year of yanping era.
  • Change of Han Shangdi to Han Andi of the Chinese Eastern Han Dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

if zoux was here he would be calling all of you exceedingly gbs

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

snakes are cool

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

snakes are cool

you called?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sinnlos posted:

Birds are Dinosaurs which used to be reptiles but then weren't

Actually dinosaurs used to be reptiles but aren't and birds are now reptiles

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spaceman Future! posted:

the gently caress? of course they do, they bite you and then just follow you around until you die from their bacteria bite and then feast upon you. laziest hunters ever.

I know! Presumably she was thrown by the "dragon" part of the name and, I dunno, assumed Komodo was somewhere east of Narnia.

Badger of Basra posted:

reptiles are gross, mammals and birbs are superior

They're all good. With some exceptions.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Birds are reptiles

No, they're dinosaurs, which also aren't reptiles. Totally different clade.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

if zoux was here he would be calling all of you exceedingly gbs

what's that flightless bird that zoux hates goons talking about? those are neat, i guess

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sharkie posted:

No, they're dinosaurs, which also aren't reptiles. Totally different clade.

This actually isn't true

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Birds and mammals are good... to eat. :smugmrgw:

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Lotka Volterra posted:

This actually isn't true

Explain archaeopteryx then smart guy

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sinnlos posted:

Ugh now I'm going to do it too.

Also Fishmech you should take vicodin for your knee. It is doing wonders for me right now but it makes it so I can't sleep which is not good because my mind is going too fast.

yeah im down to very few vicodin and percocet left over from dentists though.

i prefer to err on the side of painkillers for the future since i dont actually have work again until wednesday

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lotka Volterra posted:

This actually isn't true

you study birds or something right

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jagchosis posted:

what's that flightless bird that zoux hates goons talking about? those are neat, i guess

How can anyone, even zoux, hate flightless bird chat? I love me some flightless birds.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Actually dinosaurs used to be reptiles but aren't and birds are now reptiles

Nah sorry they're not reptiles. For one thing, warm blood. It makes the most sense to classify them as descendants of dinosaurs, more closely related to velociraptors than to lizards.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Jagchosis posted:

you study birds or something right

Yes

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah im down to very few vicodin and percocet left over from dentists though.

i prefer to err on the side of painkillers for the future since i dont actually have work again until wednesday

Just do what I do and have a crippling phobia of needles so that you get vicodin prescriptions written out as anti anxiety medication.

Actually don't do that because if you are allergic to bees like me then you will never carry your epipen with you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i have never been able to find a picture of ariel handling a bird

i have just about every other species of farm creature, but no birds or cats (or pigs)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

what's your favorite bird?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sharkie posted:

Nah sorry they're not reptiles. For one thing, warm blood. It makes the most sense to classify them as descendants of dinosaurs, more closely related to velociraptors than to lizards.

You're using morphological traits to determine relatedness, which is not cool or good

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sinnlos posted:

Just do what I do and have a crippling phobia of needles so that you get vicodin prescriptions written out as anti anxiety medication.

Actually don't do that because if you are allergic to bees like me then you will never carry your epipen with you.

i honestly wouldn't know where to start doing that. especially considering as i'm like less than 3 weeks from moving

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
horses, yes; goats, yes; sheep cows donkeys dogs lemons whitney houston, yes; but apparently the negev is a chicken-free zone

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lotka Volterra posted:

You're using morphological traits to determine relatedness, which is not cool or good

Fair enough, but I'm curious what your reasoning is in classifying birds as reptiles.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sinnlos posted:

Ugh now I'm going to do it too.

Also Fishmech you should take vicodin for your knee. It is doing wonders for me right now but it makes it so I can't sleep which is not good because my mind is going too fast.

what did i tell you about opiates sinnlos?

this is the slow road to opium addiction. they're so good, and the knee is so bad, and it'l never get much better so might as well take some every day

just get some loving medical mj if your work permits

also these dudes are more men than most thread posters
http://www.damninteresting.com/andree-and-the-aeronauts-voyage-to-the-top-of-the-world/

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Avshalom posted:

i have just about every other species of farm creature, but no birds or cats (or pigs)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

lol that minimum wage thread

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
not a bird, voted 1

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Avshalom posted:

horses, yes; goats, yes; sheep cows donkeys dogs lemons whitney houston, yes; but apparently the negev is a chicken-free zone

cocks have no place being in the desert, avs. what would moshe do?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

what's your favorite bird?

African weavers are pretty cool

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

cocks have no place being in the desert, avs. what would moshe do?
what are you saying about arik??

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
my uncle is in the us army band, and one time they were sent to the negev for some event to play at, and they decided to go out into the desert around the hotel to practice some of the next day's set without disturbing the other guests.

the idf suddenly rolled out once they started playing and searched them for like bombs and poo poo because they were "too close to the border" or some poo poo

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
he had a majestic cock, just because it was hidden under a luxurious tsunami of fat

i dream of fishing it out like an eel

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

what did i tell you about opiates sinnlos?

this is the slow road to opium addiction. they're so good, and the knee is so bad, and it'l never get much better so might as well take some every day

just get some loving medical mj if your work permits

also these dudes are more men than most thread posters
http://www.damninteresting.com/andree-and-the-aeronauts-voyage-to-the-top-of-the-world/

I take vicodin once in a blue moon, pretty much only when I know I have to stare down a needle or like right now when there is no cartilage left in my knee and the pain is excruciating.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sharkie posted:

Fair enough, but I'm curious what your reasoning is in classifying birds as reptiles.

Molecular data puts Aves and "Reptiles" as being close sister taxa. A lot of taxonomists just refer to them as one "Reptile" group now

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it winds its flayed grasping way into the deep-sea crevice of my thighs

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lotka Volterra posted:

Molecular data puts Aves and "Reptiles" as being close sister taxa. A lot of taxonomists just refer to them as one "Reptile" group now

Ok yeah, I was wrong, birds are reptiles as dinosaurs were, but birds are still more closely related to dinosaurs than to snakes and lizards, correct? In my defense my thinking's a little fuzzy right now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

r. mute i didn't even know belgium had black people

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

Close enough?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sharkie posted:

Ok yeah, I was wrong, birds are reptiles as dinosaurs were, but birds are still more closely related to dinosaurs than to snakes and lizards, correct? In my defense my thinking's a little fuzzy right now.

If we're going by last common ancestors, I believe that birds and crocodilians have a more recent one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sharkie posted:

Ok, I was wrong, birds are reptiles as dinosaurs were, but birds are still more closely related to dinosaurs than to snakes and lizards, correct? In my defense my thinking's a little fuzzy right now.

yeah birds is dinosaurs and dinosaurs is reptiles, and there's a good 100 million plus gap between birds earliest common ancestors with snakes/lizards/whatevs and now

and that means parrots/parakeets are dinosaurs that you can speak english to and many of them can fully comprehend you on like a late elementary school kid's level and speak back and if you don't think that's the coolest poo poo ever get out of my face. you can straight up chat with dang dinosaurs

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sinnlos posted:

I take vicodin once in a blue moon, pretty much only when I know I have to stare down a needle or like right now when there is no cartilage left in my knee and the pain is excruciating.

:(

I've seen the needle and the damage done/
Knee cartilage fadin' like the setting sun, oh/
This kneecap's done, this kneecap's done....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

my uncle is in the us army band, and one time they were sent to the negev for some event to play at, and they decided to go out into the desert around the hotel to practice some of the next day's set without disturbing the other guests.

the idf suddenly rolled out once they started playing and searched them for like bombs and poo poo because they were "too close to the border" or some poo poo

They probably stepped too close to an IDF training area. Obscene amounts of the Negev were expropriated for that purpose. (Guess from whom?)

• Locked thread