Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Run me down some pros and cons to sleeving. SO far I have:

Pro:
Protect the cards
Can make proxies for stuff.

Con:
Cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Amoeba102 posted:

Pro:
Protect the cards

Con:
Cost

And...
...hmmmm.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Looking for some personal anecdotes here to convince me one way or the other.
Like, how much money you spent sleeving.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Sleeved cards shuffle really nice.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Amoeba102 posted:

Looking for some personal anecdotes here to convince me one way or the other.
Like, how much money you spent sleeving.

hahaha. I spent way too much. I started sleeving everything. Then realized that I just don't shuffle the encounter deck nearly as much as my player cards (plus I build a lot of decks). So now I can sleeve just the player cards going forward without spending more...so thats good?

But really I proxy a lot because screw buying another (or two more?) core sets. Also if I am making a deck for someone else and I need proxies, I'll put those in mine.
I also constantly flick cards off each other. So this protects them a bit more.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Amoeba102 posted:

Pro:
Protect the cards

Con:
Cost

You only need 3-4 packs of sleeves, maybe more depending on how many different games you play. You don't sleeve every card, just the decks you actually put together and use. Cost is hardly an issue. The LotR LCG is the only one where you might want more so you can sleeve up to four player decks + the quest deck, but even then that's not many.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Pros:

They have bitchin' graphics on their backs
They're required for tournament play
Cheetos and beer-proof

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Amoeba102 posted:

Should I sleeve my cards? Should I sleeve just player cards or everything including double sided cards (ie clear sleeves).

I sleeve everything... it gets expensive, but I like the feel of sleeved cards.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I don't sleeve my LotR cards but I also only ever play it at home and usually solitaire.

I do sleeve my Netrunner decks (just my active decks, not everything) because they actually leave the house and occasionally get used by other people.

Honestly, it's totally a personal preference thing. Some people sleeve EVERYTHING, some sleeve nothing. Unlike Magic though, you're never going to have a single card worth $50+ in an LCG so sleeves just don't seem as important. Worst case is that you use/shuffle your Core set Gandalfs so much that they start to show some wear, you can spend $30 then on another Core or spend the same or more now on sleeves.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

you pretty much have to play on one of these though, for the full thematic experience:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KH971OC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I play with my player cards in kmc hyper mats from potomac. They are just so nice, and I don't like playing with unsleeved cards if it's a game where I might be holding onto the same card or two for an hour-plus in my sweaty hands.

One thing to be aware of with encounter cards is that the nightmare print on demand stuff is noticeably different if you're looking closely. You could always just use a pack of a 100 sleeves for those scenarios if you don't play them all the time.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

Run me down some pros and cons to sleeving.

If you only partially sleeve everything, it makes it slightly harder to quickly swap out cards when you want to make changes. I'm a pretty rough shuffler, though, so the sleeves have helped my cards stay in good shape!

Played some more solo games yesterday in preparation for game night today. Tried my Dunhere/Eleanor/Glorfindel deck solo against Peril in Pelargir. Didn't win, but it went much better then I had feared, so I think we'll be in good shape once I add in the Boromir/Beregond/Thalin deck. I had a poor start, losing all my resources after not playing anything Turn 1, but Gandalf came out soon after and turned the game around by himself. I got to stage two, but the constant threat from keeping Gandalf around and some bad questing rounds led to my loss. Burning Brand came out early, and I was questioning its usefulness in the deck, as Glorfindel needed to focus on questing. Song of Wisdom then came out, and Eleanor proved an able defender. Still, probably not something to rely on, so I think I'll swap them out for another Ranger Spikes and some Ithilien Trackers.

After playing my Sam/Merry/Pippin deck against The Dead Marshes (deciding to call it quits after Gollum got shuffled back into the encounter deck) and going home, I was still in the mood for some LOTR, and got around to messing around with it in OCTGN. Tried the Hobbits against Journey Down the Anduin, We Must Away, Ere Break of Day, and The Steward's Fear. Lost every game, but I got used to the module, so I think it I'll try using it a bit more often.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sleevechat

I've been using KMC Perfect Size sleeves. Are there any sleeves out there that don't slip all over themselves that also don't boost the size of the deck like crazy?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I bought a couple 100 sleeve boxes of different colored sleeves for my decks that I actively use. The rest of my player cards are in a binder filled with these: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XXFGG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My encounter cards are all organized in the core box and in a large generic cardboard deck box using cardboard and excess sleeves for dividers. I need a new solution though as both are full at the moment. I'd like to figure out a way to fit all the cards of a cycle into the deluxe box of the cycle but I haven't spent too much thought on it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Amoeba102 posted:

Pro:
Protect the cards

Con:
Cost

Pro:
More satisfying to shuffle.

Con:
Take up more space.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Sleevechat

I've been using KMC Perfect Size sleeves. Are there any sleeves out there that don't slip all over themselves that also don't boost the size of the deck like crazy?

The UltraPro Mattes have a textured back that makes them less slippery or prone to slide off of a big stack. I bought like 6x50 of them a while back when MassDrop was doing a bundle, MD seems to offer those and/or the Dragon Shield sleeves (which a lot of people seem to love) every month or so.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lawen posted:

The UltraPro Mattes have a textured back that makes them less slippery or prone to slide off of a big stack. I bought like 6x50 of them a while back when MassDrop was doing a bundle, MD seems to offer those and/or the Dragon Shield sleeves (which a lot of people seem to love) every month or so.

I have a bunch of Dragon Shields actually. Too slippery and the corners are sharp. I'm caught between Ultra Pro Mat and KMC Hyper Mat. Maybe I'll get some of each I guess.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god I just took a crack at Journey to Rhosgobel with my Tactics/Spirit deck and got destroyed. I'm playing solo and have no idea how I'm meant to burn through the encounter deck to find the Athelas in enough time. Also the ranged only enemies were wrecking me hard :( Anyone got any general strategies?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Revise your decklist so that it contains literally every healing card you have access to, then hope your draw lines up. I think it's generally accepted to be one of the worst-designed quests as far as just bringing a one-size-fits-all deck to challenge with.

My notes from the Quest Log, where I see I used a deck with Dunhere, Denethor, and Core Set Glorfindel:

Boco_T posted:

Had 20 cards in hand, only 11 remaining in deck by the end, including a turn where I drew 8 cards. Asfaloth helped quite a bit, and having no ranged allies ever hurt. In the end I had 2 Athelas and 11 damage on Wilyador, so I used my final resource point on Glorfindel to heal the final odd point and win, at the expense of Glorfindel suiciding himself out of the game. Very tense, I used all 3 healing herbs but actually had to use 1 very early to prevent Denethor from being killed by a Treachery card. Only drew 1 Lore of Imladris, the other 2 in my remaining 11 cards in the deck.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Land of Shadow, the next LOTR Saga expansion! I was kind of hoping for some sort of Gollum/Smeagol hero, but the way they've done it seems pretty cool! New Frodo seems good, too, though I think I still like the one from The Black Riders best.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Land of Shadow, the next LOTR Saga expansion! I was kind of hoping for some sort of Gollum/Smeagol hero, but the way they've done it seems pretty cool! New Frodo seems good, too, though I think I still like the one from The Black Riders best.

Woooow. They are really going full steam ahead with the Saga boxes. Love it!
drat, now I really need to focus on catching up.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Lame that they didn't spoil any player cards, but I like that they're promising Ithilien Ranger stuff. Wouldn't it be nice if we got a Faramir hero that actually works!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Okay, so what thematic deck will they suggest for that one when you won't have Frodo or Smeagol? Sam, a Faramir maybe and ???

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

Okay, so what thematic deck will they suggest for that one when you won't have Frodo or Smeagol? Sam, a Faramir maybe and ???

I'm betting we'll get two new heroes, both Rangers of Ithilien. I'd guess a new version of Faramir (leadership, perhaps?) and another. I'd guess a hero version of Damrod.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Amoeba102 posted:

Pro:
Protect the cards

Con:
Cost

Pro: Dont want to spend 80 bucks on some alt art version of a card? Just print it and glue it to a common card. After its sleeved its really drat hard to tell

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Descendants of Isha just released for Conquest, and it's really cool. I'm very happy with the way this game is looking at the end of the first cycle and I can't wait for The Great Devourer to come out and bring us the Tyranids.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

mongol posted:

I'm betting we'll get two new heroes, both Rangers of Ithilien. I'd guess a new version of Faramir (leadership, perhaps?) and another. I'd guess a hero version of Damrod.

That works for a quest around Ithilien, but surely there's the taming of smeagol as a quest and the then the deadmarshes/blackgate. They did well with all the other Saga thematic decks so far, except for OHUH (because they needed to release OtD to have the heroes fully) but at least in that case you just put in some dwarves to replace other dwarves. There is only Sam apart from Frodo. Maybe the quests will work for a solo hero + fellowship hero. I dunno, maybe it's just because I go overly thematic to the point of being detrimental that I care about this.

Also I unpacked my delivery of Return to Mirkwood + Kazad dum/Dwarrowdelf cycle + The Road Darkens. Now I have to seriously consider a storage solution. I'm thinking of making an insert for the Kazadum box to separate out the quest/encounter decks in a 2 by 3 configuration and working with that somehow. I haven't had to mess with my core box yet because I have all the player cards in the top part of the original insert and store the mirkwood cycle in their boxes underneath the insert.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Looks like FFG has a preview up of the Game of Thrones TCG second edition (basically a reboot of the current game)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/4/the-only-game-that-matters/

Big fan of the current game, looking forward to the new Night's Watch and House Tyrell factions in this.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
So... I might be interested in playing with the LOTR lcg. I've been playing Conquest and wanted to try something different.

I was wondering what are good packs/expansions to aim for / start with and if there are anything to avoid.

Currently just messing around with it on my own and maybe one or more friends might be interested (they are into Netrunner and Doomtown and have glanced at LOTR lcg before). Should they also get any specific sets or are cards/decks easily shared?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
LotR LCG Core is a self-contained box for one or two, and there's a lot of good content in there. Maybe get Hobbit Over Hill and Under Hill because that has book-based quests that would be familiar to people and also two suggested deck lists so you can get into the quests without having to do a deep dive into deck building strategy.

I tried Massing at Osgiliath last night with the Frodo Glorfindel Aragorn questing deck, but because it is quite ally-light it I basically got dead-ended at the fourth stage when the Witch-King swoops in.

It didn't really help that I had Burning Brand and two Unexpected Courage on Aragorn but then drew all 3 Hasty Strokes. Probably would have been better to have any 3 other cards in the deck, although I also got a second Light for Glorfindel. Sold Frodo down the river on stage 3 and just didn't have enough allies to ever clear the Witch-King's 6 threat and -1 quest on every character, nor did I have any good number of allies to eat his attacks to make questing easier.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If I attack with Dain Ironfoot (printed attack of 2) and another dwarf who has a printed attack of 2, would I deal 6 or 4 damage?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

edit-nm

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 5, 2015

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

PJOmega posted:

If I attack with Dain Ironfoot (printed attack of 2) and another dwarf who has a printed attack of 2, would I deal 6 or 4 damage?

4. Once he's exhausted, his boost its gone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PJOmega posted:

4 damage, Dain's exhausted before the attack's resolved

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
My Barnes and Noble has GoT core set on their red dot sale. Are the cards going to be compatible with the second edition? I passed cause I think not, but if it is, I'll run back there.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

omnibobb posted:

My Barnes and Noble has GoT core set on their red dot sale. Are the cards going to be compatible with the second edition? I passed cause I think not, but if it is, I'll run back there.

No, they won't be.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
New cycle announcement for Conquest! Sounds like they're going to keep releasing new warlords, with the first one being a Commissar:

The theme for the next cycle is going to be increasing the importance of the planet symbols, which should make choosing your battles even more interesting and strategic.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

"Anxious Infantry Platoon" is one of the dumbest card names I've ever read.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
This seems like the right thread for this?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/4/the-only-game-that-matters/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2NewlJEyWQ

I'm pretty hyped. 3xCore set here I come.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Was OCTGNing with LOTR. Got through to Moria on the second try with the suggested decks - which could honestly do with some work but I find it hard to make decks directly via the OCTGN deck builder. But Moria itself , I have no real plan for the Balrog. I know roughly what I should be doing for the first two thirds then I just end up hitting a wall. I tried three times and the last time went rather well, I was in a great position at 2A and worked well through this stage and even got to the 3A before the Balrog came out but I was just beaten down and limped to a loss. I know I messed up by waiting for 9 resource tokens on the quest rather than 6 for two players, So I would have had one or two more rounds till the Balrog showed up. I could have made some progress on the stage maybe. But how do you actually kill the Balrog? Even if you sacrifice a hero with the Great Bridge, you still have 11+ dmg to deal.

And just to confirm something - Doom, Doom, Doom makes the BAlrog attack as soon as it shows up, and every quest phase thereafter - and then it attacks again during the combat phase.Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Amoeba102 posted:

And just to confirm something - Doom, Doom, Doom makes the BAlrog attack as soon as it shows up, and every quest phase thereafter - and then it attacks again during the combat phase.Right?

Yep. Except if he shows up from the end-of-quest-phase trigger, instead of from you questing; then, on that round, he just attacks as normal during that round's combat phase.

It took three or four tries for my campaign group, but when we finally beat it, we had Landroval to swoop in and save our hero sacrifice (Idraen, of all people) :c00l: