Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

What the gently caress is up with the perspective there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snapchat A Titty posted:

What the gently caress is up with the perspective there.

Most comic book artists are bad at drawing, this isn't an exception.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Axeface posted:

Minor title/plot spoiler for The Babadook: Dada Book. Cute considering the monster.

Also 'A Bad Book'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Watched '71 with the family. It's really well made imo. A nice touch that may be spoilery:

When Hook gets his wound sewed up by the guy in the flat, the daughter puts her hand on his chest to calm him. Later, Hook stabs a guy in the chest, and as his lungs fill with blood, Hook puts his hand on his chest and he calms.

Also, the phrase "The situation is confused" is repeatedly used as a way to smokescreen the reality.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
In Jack Reacher, this happens. It's a weird bit of physical comedy in an otherwise by-the-book detective action movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdW2ItIVKAc

Note that of the three thugs, one is (basically) bald, another has curly hair, and the last has a mop-top. What a bunch of stooges.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Haha he even pokes the one dude in the eye.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm getting a Home Alone vibe from that. The stairs, the crowbar but most importantly Curly's shrieks when he gets his eye gouged.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Christopher McQuarrie is a way smarter writer and director than he gets credit for.

Edit: He even clunks their heads together too.

Human Tornada has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
And they get stuck trying to get through a door at the same time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm binging on Fringe right now, midway through the first season, and in one of the episodes there is a guy who can activate and over charge things with his body. His last name is hard to pronounce and each character makes attempts at it, each doing it slightly different. Eventually on of the characters refers to him as "Mr ... Whatever" and then they just stop using his name.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Silly Newbie posted:

The best Baltimore accents in the show come from Snoop and Bunny Colvin's Lieutenant, who are both actually from Boston.

...you mean Bawlmer.
Anyway, the best thing about Felicia "Snoop" Pearson is, she wasn't an actor, just someone Michael Williams met in a bar and invited out to the set, where they created a character named Felicia "Snoop" Pearson for her to play, as opposed to Jay Landsman (who played Lt Mello instead of the character of Jay Landsman). This never fails to amuse me.

Anyhoo, I have a friend originally from the dong of Louisiana. Never really heard an accent from him until one day while cooking and muttering to himself he let slip an "un-yawn" and clapped his hand over his mouth looking mortified.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I'm binging on Fringe right now

Fringing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There are plenty of things in the new Avengers movie that definitely belong in the other thread, but here's one I quite enjoyed that belongs here. Spoilers because it's pretty new.

Vision is talking to Thor and Captain America and says to them, "I realise I haven't done anything to convince you to trust me", then he picks up Mjolnir and hands it to Thor, literally the one thing he could have done that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he's trustworthy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know if that's really all that subtle; it got a big reaction out of the audience when I went. Like, they make a really big deal about nobody being able to lift it earlier.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
My favorite was not at all subtle but for some reason I irrationally enjoy it.

When Vision is talking to Thor he checks out Thor's cape and then after clearly liking the look begins to form his own.

I just loved that moment for some reason.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He does the same with his body.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think you kind of have to interpret "subtle" in the context of Superheroes as a genre. Anything short of stating what you mean clearly, in different short words, thrice, qualifies under that banner.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Chard posted:

I think you kind of have to interpret "subtle" in the context of Superheroes as a genre. Anything short of stating what you mean clearly, in different short words, thrice, qualifies under that banner.

I agree, and the example I mentioned above was quite subtle for the genre, specifically with camera movement and the other characters reacting to it well. Not a subtle movie for the most part, but fairly enjoyable fluff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know if that's really all that subtle; it got a big reaction out of the audience when I went. Like, they make a really big deal about nobody being able to lift it earlier.

I thought the best part was Vision commenting on how well-balanced Mjölnir is after power-smacking Ultron with it, and Thor is all like "well, if there’s too much weight you lose power in the swing".

Not at all subtle, but a nice little bro-moment. Thor is the chillest of dudes around his friends.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Memento posted:

There are plenty of things in the new Avengers movie that definitely belong in the other thread, but here's one I quite enjoyed that belongs here. Spoilers because it's pretty new.

Vision is talking to Thor and Captain America and says to them, "I realise I haven't done anything to convince you to trust me", then he picks up Mjolnir and hands it to Thor, literally the one thing he could have done that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he's trustworthy

Can you give an example of something unsubtle?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a robot in it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I realized the other day that in all the marvel movies lately, someone loses an arm.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It happens in every Phase 2 movie. Supposedly it's an Empire Strikes Back homage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I realized the other day that in all the marvel movies lately, someone loses an arm.

Well, in AoU it was because that villain is traditionally missing an arm and they might be priming him to show up in the Black Panther stand alone.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

muscles like this? posted:

Well, in AoU it was because that villain is traditionally missing an arm and they might be priming him to show up in the Black Panther stand alone.

Yeah, I know who you're talking about and I didn't even think that one. I was thinking when Tony's in the Hulkbuster suit and one of the arms gets ripped off that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think that part was just to show off the whole "Veronica" thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Memento posted:

Memento posted:

I agree, and the example I mentioned above was quite subtle for the genre, specifically with camera movement and the other characters reacting to it well. Not a subtle movie for the most part, but fairly enjoyable fluff.

No, there was absolutely nothing subtle about this. It was a major plot point. It was set up earlier in the movie.

It's a neat moment but nothing subtle about it.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Yeah, I don't want to be a killjoy but that's definitely not a subtle scene. Like, ignoring how prominent it was, at the end of the movie Tony and Steve just discuss it with Thor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think some of the posters are using subtle to mean "understated", which a thing can easily be without being subtle as "not obvious". Haven't seen the movie, though.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I think some of the posters are using subtle to mean "understated", which a thing can easily be without being subtle as "not obvious". Haven't seen the movie, though.

Oh, it's not even remotely understated. Even the characters react to the scene pretty strongly. However, there's one subtle-ish thing involved in it: It establishes that Vision, despite having just been created, knows that the one way he can prove himself trustworthy is by lifting Mjolnir, calling back to Ultron's introduction and reinforcing that some of Ultron's memories are still present in Vision, but that he's come to a different conclusion than Ultron about what "worthiness" means.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

I thought the best part was Vision commenting on how well-balanced Mjölnir is after power-smacking Ultron with it, and Thor is all like "well, if there’s too much weight you lose power in the swing".

Not at all subtle, but a nice little bro-moment. Thor is the chillest of dudes around his friends.

I like that moment because it felt like Thor had a lot of Mjolnir shop-talk inside of him that he doesn't often get a chance to share. He's still awkward about things like what you spoilerblocked, but he kinda likes having someone to discuss it with.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Getting away from the Avengers chat, I was re-watching Blade Runner for the 20th time recently and just realised Roy Batty and the other guys that Deckard kills are actually some type of like human robot or something, and so they're not actual people, although they kind of act and think and look like that, which if you think about it could probably trigger some pretty serious questions about like what nature is or murder and stuff

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Whoa that's pretty subtle. I think you might be reaching a bit with it. Is there anything in the text to support that or is it just someone's pet theory?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Getting away from the Avengers chat, I was re-watching Blade Runner for the 20th time recently and just realised Roy Batty and the other guys that Deckard kills are actually some type of like human robot or something, and so they're not actual people, although they kind of act and think and look like that, which if you think about it could probably trigger some pretty serious questions about like what nature is or murder and stuff

Twentieth time? Sure you don't mean like... first time?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This movie sounds really loving boring

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Unmature posted:

Twentieth time? Sure you don't mean like... first time?

It's almost like there was a subtext to the post.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

syscall girl posted:

It's almost like there was a subtext to the post.

Almost. But not really.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Like when he shoots that one bird in the back, if you look closely you can see he used a gun to do it.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'd be surprised if you guys picked this up but in the new Avengers movie STAN LEE makes a cameo. He's pretty easy to miss but its cool if you know who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Unmature posted:

Almost. But not really.

If the subtlety of his joke got past you then boy is this thread for you!