Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Can somebody help me identify this worm. This borders on NMS for the squeamish:

http://theclearlydope.tumblr.com/post/118111785436/wtf-nope-worm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

bollig posted:

I thought your NMS warning was excessive and then it did a thing.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I thought your NMS warning was excessive and then it did a thing.

I have to know what it is so I can go outside again. And also hunt down whatever force created it, go back in time, and destroy it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
That was on the front page of imgur, recently. Someone said it looked like a Nemertea, but the split proboscis was probably digitally altered. I did not verify his credentials as a weird-rear end worm expert.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

That was on the front page of imgur, recently. Someone said it looked like a Nemertea, but the split proboscis was probably digitally altered. I did not verify his credentials as a weird-rear end worm expert.

Did the weird-rear end worm expert explain what's going on in that gif? What does it spit out? How does it fork like that? WTF

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's what thanatos was saying was digitally altered, and I'm happy to believe him.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Huh, should have read the article myself:

Wikipedia posted:

The proboscis of the class Anopla ("unarmed"[1]) exits from an orifice which is separate from the mouth,[4] coils around the prey and immobilizes it by sticky, toxic secretions.[20] The Anopla can attack as soon as they move into the range of the proboscis.[21] Some Anopla have branched proboscises which Ruppert, Fox and Barnes describe as "a mass of sticky spaghetti".[4] The animal then draws its prey into its mouth.[11]

It's a combination poisonous stinger/prehensile tentacle(s) used for feeding. It doesn't sound like they're threat to humans... yet.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's what thanatos was saying was digitally altered, and I'm happy to believe him.

Poor little fella just had a cold is all.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Thanatosian posted:

Huh, should have read the article myself:

It's a combination poisonous stinger/prehensile tentacle(s) used for feeding. It doesn't sound like they're threat to humans... yet.

I don't feel any better knowing this. Thanks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Facebook and Twitter are loading really, really slowly for me lately. I have two different computers and a phone and they're slow on all of them. Other sites work fine, but loading Twitter or Facebook takes ages and sometimes I have to try multiple times to log in or post anything. How can I figure out what's causing this and/or fix it?

One of the things you can do is run a tracert from where you are to see where your connection to the website is breaking down. Open a command prompt (press the Windows key, type "cmd" and hit enter) and in the window that pops up type "tracert <ipaddressgoeshere>". This will tell you what route data is taking between you and the ip address you're trying to hit. The problem is that both Facebook and Twitter use literally thousands of IP addresses; Facebook alone uses the ranges 66.220.144.0 - 66.220.159.255, 69.63.176.0 - 69.63.191.255 and 204.15.20.0 - 204.15.23.255. So you could try to ping one of them and it might never resolve, because that's the IP for Facebook in Tataouine, Tunisia.

There are tools you can download to do it for you and give you a far more easily understandable gui. Google "ping trace tool" and you should get some hits.

Are you using the same internet connection for all of the devices you're using? For example, are both of the phones on your home wifi with your computer plugged directly into the router? If so, it's probably a local problem. If I recall correctly, you're Australian, and if so we had some internet issues last night (4th May) that might explain it. Some subsets of things weren't loading for people I was chatting with in weird configurations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My new computer has windows 8. How do I merge multiple PDF's into one file?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My new computer has windows 8. How do I merge multiple PDF's into one file?

Get a Mac. :v:

Use Adobe Acrobat or one of the dozens of free, good programs online.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Oh. Duh. For some reason I thought the new reader was the new acrobat.

edit: It is because I am a goose. Thanks poster!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

One of the things you can do is run a tracert from where you are to see where your connection to the website is breaking down. Open a command prompt (press the Windows key, type "cmd" and hit enter) and in the window that pops up type "tracert <ipaddressgoeshere>". This will tell you what route data is taking between you and the ip address you're trying to hit. The problem is that both Facebook and Twitter use literally thousands of IP addresses; Facebook alone uses the ranges 66.220.144.0 - 66.220.159.255, 69.63.176.0 - 69.63.191.255 and 204.15.20.0 - 204.15.23.255. So you could try to ping one of them and it might never resolve, because that's the IP for Facebook in Tataouine, Tunisia.

There are tools you can download to do it for you and give you a far more easily understandable gui. Google "ping trace tool" and you should get some hits.
So what would I do with that information once I had it?

Memento posted:

Are you using the same internet connection for all of the devices you're using? For example, are both of the phones on your home wifi with your computer plugged directly into the router? If so, it's probably a local problem. If I recall correctly, you're Australian, and if so we had some internet issues last night (4th May) that might explain it. Some subsets of things weren't loading for people I was chatting with in weird configurations.
Yeah, all on the same connection. It's been going on for probably a couple of weeks though, not just yesterday.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Have you tried resetting your router or checking your firewall blacklist? My router occasionally black lists websites (mainly facebook and sometimes google) which causes slowdown since it has to route out to some alternate ip. About once a year it blacklists my dns :ughh:.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Is there a Astrology/Zodiac thread in Ask/Tell?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

So what would I do with that information once I had it?

Yeah, all on the same connection. It's been going on for probably a couple of weeks though, not just yesterday.

A very good question and one I totally forgot to answer. The tracert information can tell you where exactly the fuckup is between you and your intended destination. For example, if you can see that you're having an issue after your connection hops to your local exchange, then it's probably a fault with your ISP. If it messes up on the hop between here and the US, then it's probably an undersea cable and you'll see it in the news. If you can see that the hop between your house and your exchange is taking forever to clear, then the problem is probably local to you, and you need to call your ISP and get them to come out and check it. Things they will ask you to try include an isolation test (taking every other piece of hardware off your line), trying a different computer, trying a different router, trying just a telephone plugged into the line to listen to whether or not it's crackling when you lift the handset and possibly some testing things from their end. If it's a problem with that part of the line, they might try to get you to pay for it, especially if it's on your property.

Calling your ISP certainly couldn't hurt as a decent place to start. Unless you're with Telstra, in which case I feel very sincere sorrow for you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

Have you tried resetting your router or checking your firewall blacklist? My router occasionally black lists websites (mainly facebook and sometimes google) which causes slowdown since it has to route out to some alternate ip. About once a year it blacklists my dns :ughh:.
I have reset the router, and it doesn't seem to be blacklisting anything.

Memento posted:

A very good question and one I totally forgot to answer. The tracert information can tell you where exactly the fuckup is between you and your intended destination.
So what does this mean? Or is this even the right information? :confused:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
You're looking at hop #, minimum time the packet took, maximum time, and average. Then of course the name of the hop (router) you're going through.

Essentially you are making a map of where your traffic is going and how long it takes to get to each stop on the way. If you reliably see a huge spike between router #15 and #16 (for example), it's a good bet your connection issues, to that specific site, exit between those two "hops"

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Tiggum posted:

This looks pretty normal for an Aussie connection. The big hop you're seeing is probably jumping between continents. The times in ms are the jumps from one bit of the network to the next. So the first hop is going to your router (192.168.0.1), then you're hopping off to tpg (tgpi.com.au) and so forth. Eventually you hit telstraglobal.net before jumping to twitter.

edit: For reference I'm in Sydney and also using TPG and it's taking me about 250ms to hit twitter.

Birb Katter fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 5, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, I've been tasked with finding a new printer for the department of dialectology. These guys keep everything on small pieces of paper, that they need to scan and copy onto similarly sized small pieces of paper. The sizes are custom, and they vary a bit depending on age. There is quite a bit of printing going on, so I'm thinking laser, but other than that I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm buying tickets to a comedy show. Do I want Loge/Box or Center seating? Same distance from stage and same price.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

BonHair posted:

So, I've been tasked with finding a new printer for the department of dialectology. These guys keep everything on small pieces of paper, that they need to scan and copy onto similarly sized small pieces of paper. The sizes are custom, and they vary a bit depending on age. There is quite a bit of printing going on, so I'm thinking laser, but other than that I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I can't give you a recommendation but may I suggest you pop into the printer megathread in SH/SC

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Birb Katter posted:

I can't give you a recommendation but may I suggest you pop into the printer megathread in SH/SC

Of course, I should have thought of that myself. Thanks!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FreshFeesh posted:

You're looking at hop #, minimum time the packet took, maximum time, and average. Then of course the name of the hop (router) you're going through.

Essentially you are making a map of where your traffic is going and how long it takes to get to each stop on the way. If you reliably see a huge spike between router #15 and #16 (for example), it's a good bet your connection issues, to that specific site, exit between those two "hops"

Trace routes are nice. I found that the hand shake between my ISP and ATT lags. Which caused problems for me in diablo 3. They didn't look at out until I showed them three people with three different ISPs running a trace route that ran through the same data center my connection to ATT ran through . So four people, with four different ISPs in two different countries, had problems with hand offs to ATT.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Yeah I'm getting to twitter right now in 265 milliseconds, so there's nothing wrong with your handoff connections. It's time to call your ISP, there's not a ton more we can do for you in this thread. Good luck!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

rizuhbull posted:

I'm buying tickets to a comedy show. Do I want Loge/Box or Center seating? Same distance from stage and same price.

IIRC Loge/Box seats are more private, but they would be elevated. So I guess it depends on if you want ground floor seats or balcony.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

bollig posted:

Going back to this for a second...I've been seeing it everywhere, and nobody has a good answer on what exactly it is, so I'm pretty sure it's a viral campaign for something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah I'm getting to twitter right now in 265 milliseconds, so there's nothing wrong with your handoff connections. It's time to call your ISP, there's not a ton more we can do for you in this thread. Good luck!

OK, thanks.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

SlayVus posted:

Trace routes are nice. I found that the hand shake between my ISP and ATT lags. Which caused problems for me in diablo 3. They didn't look at out until I showed them three people with three different ISPs running a trace route that ran through the same data center my connection to ATT ran through . So four people, with four different ISPs in two different countries, had problems with hand offs to ATT.

Look into MTR, which continually runs a traceroute and keeps statistics, so you can see if an area has intermittent issues. One of my favorite tools for diagnosing client networking performance issues.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

If someone bought narcotics off of an undercover officer and suspected such, if he purposely said & asked him "I wouldn't normally have the intent to buy drugs and I don't think I should right now. Do you think I should buy these?"
Would the cop have to say no since saying yes is literally the definition of entrapment?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

If someone bought narcotics off of an undercover officer and suspected such, if he purposely said & asked him "I wouldn't normally have the intent to buy drugs and I don't think I should right now. Do you think I should buy these?"
Would the cop have to say no since saying yes is literally the definition of entrapment?

The cop won't use the word 'yes', but he'll still encourage you to buy them, without actually definitely encouraging you to buy them, iykwim.

E: I mean he definitely won't say no, why would he

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

No.

By approaching the dealer, you've already established that you had the will and intent to buy drugs; tricky words like that don't mean anything (see also: they don't have to say they're a cop). The cop isn't forcing you to buy them. If you think it's a sting, you don't buy the drugs. Even if the cop came up to you without prompt, the only way you're getting off is 1) you don't buy the drugs or 2) the cop tricks you (like, says it's something legal), or forces you to make the buy against the will.

http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=689

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

No.

By approaching the dealer, you've already established that you had the will and intent to buy drugs; tricky words like that don't mean anything (see also: they don't have to say they're a cop). The cop isn't forcing you to buy them. If you think it's a sting, you don't buy the drugs. Even if the cop came up to you without prompt, the only way you're getting off is 1) you don't buy the drugs or 2) the cop tricks you (like, says it's something legal), or forces you to make the buy against the will.

http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=689

Nothing in the post mentioned who approached whom, I'm pretty sure that matters.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just tell the dealer you're going to pay him in roses. It seems to work for the prostitutes on backpage.com

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
An example from personal experience in clubs in the early 90s (uk). Police couldn't ask a person specifically for drugs. They could ask for pills, or they could ask 'do you know anyone who's selling anything?', but they definitely couldn't mention 'E' or 'speed' or whatever. Slightly different from the question asked i know but still relevant maybe.

Things might be different in the states, and for all I know they've changed in the uk as well, because it was twenty five years ago, but it was certainly the case at that time.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Nothing in the post mentioned who approached whom, I'm pretty sure that matters.

I feel you're probably right that the cop wouldn't say "yes" or anything like "yes" directly, but my IANAE understanding is that "entrapment" doesn't mean nearly as much as popular conception says it does, so we may very well be wrong about that. If a undercover cop comes up to you offering to sell drugs and you do anything other than don't buy the drugs, then you're in a tough place. But if you know what you bought is illegal (the cop didn't trick you into thinking it was something legal) and the cop didn't force you to buy it (make threats, etc), then asking a tricky question like that before you do it isn't going to help you one bit.

Edit: The question to ask is, if the dealer was a real dealer and not a cop, would you have still done it? The cop doesn't have to give you a chance to back out, they just can't prevent you from backing out.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 5, 2015

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Cage posted:

Just tell the dealer you're going to pay him in roses. It seems to work for the prostitutes on backpage.com

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to actually pay a hooker from backpage with actual roses? I am sure that at least one goon has.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

I feel you're probably right that the cop wouldn't say "yes" or anything like "yes" directly, but my IANAE understanding is that "entrapment" doesn't mean nearly as much as popular conception says it does, so we may very well be wrong about that. If a undercover cop comes up to you offering to sell drugs and you do anything other than don't buy the drugs, then you're in a tough place. But if you know what you bought is illegal (the cop didn't trick you into thinking it was something legal) and the cop didn't force you to buy it (make threats, etc), then asking a tricky question like that before you do it isn't going to help you one bit.

Edit: The question to ask is, if the dealer was a real dealer and not a cop, would you have still done it? The cop doesn't have to give you a chance to back out, they just can't prevent you from backing out.

Yeah I think you're probably right that asking the question originally posed would do nothing to help your case. My version of entrapment is what I posted above

I've no experience of it in the states past movies, but in movies cops are sometimes likeable so it's not realistic at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

So if you were to say "I wouldn't normally have the intent to buy drugs and I don't want to. I feel pressured to do this but simply yes or no, If I buy these will you leave me alone?" That would work?