Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

How many wrecks have you guys seen? I am surprised that I haven't seen any yet considering how lovely Portland drivers are. I've seen infinity close calls though.

Including the ones I've been in? :v:

In 34 years of driving I've been in one at-fault accident when I was 17, been a passenger in 3 wrecks (one was the fault of the driver I was riding with - my grandfather), been the driver in 3 not at fault (2 very minor fender benders, 1 moderate - I got T-boned). I also had my car get run into while it was parked, and I saw it happen.

Other than the above, I've seen probably a dozen or more wrecks, either in their totality, or heard the initial noises and looked and then saw the rest. Most of them fairly minor, but I did see a wicked freeway rollover a number of years ago, I didn't see what started it, but saw the SUV veer across the lanes, nail the center divider and then fly into the air while rolling on it's axis - all in my rear-view mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Only ever saw a minor one happen in real time (guy making a left turn across jammed oncoming traffic, didn't see the car in the next lane), otherwise only the consequences.

Here's a genius that made it 2 km along a mountain footpath to "take some pics". In a Ford Puma.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mobby_6kl posted:

Only ever saw a minor one happen in real time (guy making a left turn across jammed oncoming traffic, didn't see the car in the next lane), otherwise only the consequences.

Here's a genius that made it 2 km along a mountain footpath to "take some pics". In a Ford Puma.

Well, did he get the pics?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

DEAR RICHARD posted:

How many wrecks have you guys seen? I am surprised that I haven't seen any yet considering how lovely Portland drivers are. I've seen infinity close calls though.

An actual wreck while it occurs? Probably 25 or so. People in this city CANNOT loving drive to save their lives.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got to watch a sedan get flipped around as it was turning left when some prick in a ranger decided to run a red light. Was back when I was in high school, don't remember what the car was, just think of whatever random beater a teenager would be driving in the mid 90's.

But it caved the front end in pretty drat good, on both vehicles. Was around a 40mph accident and astonishingly there were only minor injuries.

But I was waiting to turn left on the cross street and got a front row view of the whole thing.. had my friend in the passenger seat and the first thing out of my mouth was "cool, a wreck!" Watching the sedan spin around is etched into my brain.

There was also the time I got hit head-on but I can't say I really remember that, other than the results. :angel:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CharlieWhiskey posted:

You know that escalades are better, right?

I don't understand the question. My point was the ladder was held at only one point midway, and it was very long. I envisioned it spinning like a helicopter blade.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

That dude worked for that drive. I don't know if I would attempt that in that car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's something else. My mom lives in Red Lodge, MT and there are a good number of lovely dirt tracks leading back into the mountains.. old mining roads, forest access routes, stuff like that. At least once a year some tourist in a SUV will attempt to take their rental up these trails and either get stuck or do thousands of dollars worth of damage to the thing.

It's relatively common for off road enthusiasts to use these same trails so stuck tourists usually doesn't stay stuck for too long.

Doing something like that in a sedan? It's either super awesome or super stupid.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Hmm...lots of cars hitting ditches, not sure if that counts.
Hit the ditch once myself and did like 3k in damage to my dads new S10 (then they started removing trees from ditches). Hit a tree in a friends driveway once avoiding his dog. That covers my screwups.
I've seen a few minor dings, and only a couple of really bad ones. Traditional "lady tries to race a red on the left, its icy, goes straight through intersection, jumps curb, lands on light standard" was the best one. And a few people hitting semi's that pulled out in front.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

xzzy posted:

Doing something like that in a sedan? It's either super awesome or super stupid.

Or they're following a GPS that they didn't specify road type on, and took their parents Buick through a 120km forestry road in the mountains of Central BC.
It actually wasn't bad, although I'm sure I didn't do the transmission or the tires any favors. I got a lot of weird looks from the guys in a raised jeep when I stopped to offer a hand changing their tire :)
I also found the prettiest town I've ever seen doing that, so it was well worth it.

edit - and then I needed to google the town, I forgot the name. Tulameen, British Columbia. Goddamn gorgeous town. Now I need to go back.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 5, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

StormDrain posted:

I don't understand the question. My point was the ladder was held at only one point midway, and it was very long. I envisioned it spinning like a helicopter blade.

Yeah, escalades are better for everything, including flying like a helicopter

It was sarcastic humor, faux-defending the Escalade, or more accurately, my own stereotype for Escalade owners/operators

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Siochain posted:

Or they're following a GPS that they didn't specify road type on,

Done that. Usually intentionally. :v:

I mean I have the sense to turn around and adjust my route if it turns out the road is complete poo poo but when I plan out my road trips I usually pick the most out of the way route I can find with google maps and it's steered me onto some really lovely roads. Well, roads that would be decent in an appropriate vehicle but for a FWD city car they're kind of sketchy.

Worth it though, it's a great way to see what's out there.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

xzzy posted:

Done that. Usually intentionally. :v:

I mean I have the sense to turn around and adjust my route if it turns out the road is complete poo poo but when I plan out my road trips I usually pick the most out of the way route I can find with google maps and it's steered me onto some really lovely roads. Well, roads that would be decent in an appropriate vehicle but for a FWD city car they're kind of sketchy.

Worth it though, it's a great way to see what's out there.

By the time I hit the 20-30km stretch that was honestly a little too much for the car, I was over half way through. I just went real slow, planned my tire placement, and was very glad I grew up on a farm and learned to drive early and on weird roads so it didn't freak me out. Still the prettiest drive I have ever taken, and well worth the extra time. If I can ever get enough time off (or get lucky enough to move out west) I'm going back and taking that road in my truck, so I can actually enjoy it :)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Siochain posted:

Or they're following a GPS that they didn't specify road type on

Driving from the Oregon coast near Pacific City, trying to get to my in-law's in Cherry Grove. They live on an unsaved road, so in order to get there from anywhere you have to click unsaved is ok otherwise it can't find a route. Guess what else isn't paved: logging roads. Yeah, wife drove us up the side of the mountain in our Suzuki Swift, then turned around using a 15 point turn next to a cliff all because we weren't going to make it past the snow.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

Well, did he get the pics?

He did get these ones in the national news so I think that should be good enough.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So as we all know metered highway entrances can suck but if you're in the carpool lane you can just go on by... well except for this dude. He came to a stop and looked at the stoplight for the next lane over and stood there until he got the green light, even though the guy behind him is blaring his horn for a few seconds. So he finally goes and the person behind him goes in which I also went as well since I got my light. I look behind me and another dude is waiting on the light for the lane right of him. I'm more and more amazed. That and last week I posted I got rear ended, and the carbon copy of the situation last week happened but this time I had a delivery truck up my rear end and I had the left lane and the shoulder to dodge the person ahead of me so I wouldn't get a delivery truck wrecking my rear end.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
More dashcam poo poo filmed from my office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLgfy29z4Ww

The first one might not be so obvious, but the blue van is crabbing down the road really badly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mooseykins posted:

The first one might not be so obvious, but the blue van is crabbing down the road really badly.

I could not drive for a living round the North Circular for more than 3 days before going postal on someone.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Jb0cNp-LA

:stare:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

I could not drive for a living round the North Circular for more than 3 days before going postal on someone.

I'm on it pretty much every day. It's a test of patience, but Golders Green is the place i usually lose my rag with other drivers.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I haven't witnessed that many proper wrecks, more instances of people loving up their cars by driving up a curb onto the sidewalk, or driving over those concrete blocks in parking lots, or trying to drive over the center divider on a major road.

Back in December I did get to see the pickup in front of me gun it as soon as they hit the 45 zone at the edge of town... when the road was covered with compact, icy snow. They spun 360 degrees and ended up on their side in the ditch on the other side of the road. Scared the hell out of my wife and me. I pulled them out of the truck, luckily no real injuries but that truck was hosed. Of course everyone else driving past had to stop and offer help... we had it under control, I was more concerned about one of them sliding into the back of our car as they tried to stop, especially the guy in his lovely little Geo Metro. We turned around and took the longer but ice-free route through Oregon after that.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Haha, that 300 at 1:20 was rubbernecking so hard he ran the red light.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

and nothing of value was lost.

i like how another car completely runs the red at the very end because they're watching the cop pull over the dude.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Sitting at a red light behind a couple of people, some guy in a white van thought he knew the timing of the lights so well he started to go when he noticed that the perpendicular light changed to red. Took off while our light was red, and it remained red for about 30 more seconds. I guess he forgot about green arrows sometimes happening after a red.

There was no one else in the intersection luckily so I was able to have a good laugh at him. Wish there was a cop around.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw some moron bicyclist going against traffic in the non-separated, 3 foot bike lane. gently caress, at least use the sidewalk.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

sleepy.eyes posted:

gently caress, at least use the sidewalk.

Choke on a barrel of dicks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cage posted:

Sitting at a red light behind a couple of people, some guy in a white van thought he knew the timing of the lights so well he started to go when he noticed that the perpendicular light changed to red. Took off while our light was red, and it remained red for about 30 more seconds. I guess he forgot about green arrows sometimes happening after a red.

There was no one else in the intersection luckily so I was able to have a good laugh at him. Wish there was a cop around.

I've let off the brakes a few times for this (though smart enough not to hit the gas) because different municipalities do things differently. Some have the arrows before, some after. It is extremely aggravating and confusing, I wish they would just make up their drat minds.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Choke on a barrel of dicks.

If you are stupid enough to go against traffic, you should at least be stupid enough to ride on the sidewalk.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Riding against traffic is loving idiotic, yeah, but if you ride your bike on the sidewalk I will glare at you so hard. Nut up, admit your mistake, and go around the block. Don't run your lovely rear end schwinn into me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm in Spain right now. It's amazing, but apparently if you actually teach drivers to be aware and responsible, they can handle things like "bicycles being near them" and "motorcycles lane-splitting" without having a full-on freakout. North America should try that.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Safety Dance posted:

Riding against traffic is loving idiotic, yeah, but if you ride your bike on the sidewalk I will glare at you so hard. Nut up, admit your mistake, and go around the block. Don't run your lovely rear end schwinn into me.

It wasn't a one way street. Bikes can be on the sidewalk in Florida and that would have made the idiot a hell of a lot safer than what they were doing.

Edit for clarification: This wasn't some Lance Armstrong wannabe, it was a fat grandma doing about 10.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 6, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

I'm in Spain right now. It's amazing, but apparently if you actually teach drivers to be aware and responsible, they can handle things like "bicycles being near them" and "motorcycles lane-splitting" without having a full-on freakout. North America should try that.
I'd wager this has more to do with the cyclists than the drivers.

I'm fine with cyclists being near me. I'll always go out of my way to make sure they're safe. When they weave off a straight path for no reason, without looking behind them, when they run red lights and force me to slam on my brakes, when they're just generally cunts? gently caress 'em.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I hope this guy was arrested and charged
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r37sYhXsM

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

B4Ctom1 posted:

I hope this guy was arrested and charged
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r37sYhXsM

Yea, that could have gone very very wrong just because he was using the gun as a 'pointer' with his finger on the trigger.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Can't speak for all of Spain, but in the very south there appear to be no rules and no police on the roads. They do what they want, and it's a mix of hilarious and horrendous. When i drove my car there i was pleased that it has enough to power to get out of trouble if needed, made use of that a few times.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

StormDrain posted:

I thought it was a bad Spanish pun as ladder=escalera.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Mooseykins posted:

Once you pointed it out, the van is, um, a bit bent.

But the one that got me is the flatbed driver at about :50. Seems like tow truck drivers are the same everywhere. Cabbies with tougher bumpers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

So as we all know metered highway entrances can suck but if you're in the carpool lane you can just go on by... well except for this dude. He came to a stop and looked at the stoplight for the next lane over and stood there until he got the green light, even though the guy behind him is blaring his horn for a few seconds.

When I used to commute a bit later in the morning (the meters here shut off at 9am) I used to see this every day at 9. Invariably at least one on ramp would still have two lines of traffic stopping at the line, waiting for the other lane, even though they had just watched the lights shut off.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PT6A posted:

Hey

gently caress you.

Merica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
:frogout:

https://vimeo.com/127120040