Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bUm posted:

I think we've just been doing single-event things so far so there hasn't been any standings (whoever wins the event wins the "season"). Don't think there's a way to look back to previous "seasons" that the league has had yet because Early Access.

So, direct answer: you don't (as far as I can tell).

Maybe next "season", later this week, we could try two events and see how their fledgling league system handles it.

Ah ok. drat, would've been nice to know what my eventual position was. I liked my 7th last night :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Dirt Rally supports H shifter and clutch, but there is something weird about it that causes me to mis-shift and it leaves it in neutral until you change back to neutral, then put it back to the gear you want. Think I'll stick to sequential for more control and less lost time, since there doesn't seem to be any restrictions for league play.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
So glad I went with the Lancia for this event.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

KillHour posted:

I can only imagine with a real cockpit. :allears:

Seems rather terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An9zM_RNdN8

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Joined the DiRT Rally goon league. I'm really bad at Group B :saddowns: but I'm happy with not being last

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

This sport is the first time I genuinely thought anything else in motorsports might make Moto GP look like a kid's sport. The entire concept of Rally is just dumb- but it's dumb in a way that makes me want to play it as a game. Take it seriously as a game. Because gently caress I'd never touch this, or be a spectator of it, in real life.

But for a game, it's quite possibly everything you could ask for.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

bUm posted:

Did you turn on some assists? I managed the 1960's cars fine without TC and SC, but the 1970's cars necessitated turning them on to stop spinning out constantly because the trigger doesn't have fine-enough throttle control to feather it easily. I settled in with both at 3 and both RWD classes are plenty manageable (I occasionally still spin, but usually it's with the help of bumps/walls/ridges instead of just too much power at the rear).

All assists are on max... I figured out it was linearity that was messing me up so that's on zero and sensitivity is on 45. I also didn't realise recovery costs a 15 second penalty because I play with HUD off. Here I come todays league!

Fake edit: Still second from last, 7 minutes slow - you guys are robots.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 4, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Daimo posted:

All assists are on max... I figured out it was linearity that was messing me up so that's on zero and sensitivity is on 45. I also didn't realise recovery costs a 15 second penalty because I play with HUD off. Here I come todays league!

Fake edit: Still second from last, 7 minutes slow - you guys are robots.

Yay I'm no longer second to last :neckbeard:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
+7:50 because on the second to last stage my rear left tire came off :(

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Just to be clear, repairing your car is a direct addition to your placed race times? Or can you do as much as you can fit in 30 minutes without any penalty to the standings?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Phuzun posted:

Just to be clear, repairing your car is a direct addition to your placed race times? Or can you do as much as you can fit in 30 minutes without any penalty to the standings?
I've also really been wondering this too. gently caress my suspension if it adds time but I just don't know if it does or not.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

if you choose repairs that take longer than 30 minutes total, it tells you how much time you'll be penalized. I usually just press the "crew recommendation" button.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
You have a 30 minute service available. Anything over that 30 minutes is penalty time and added to your overall.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I'll keep that in mind the next race. Car isn't to bad, but wheels are in the 80% range.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I finished Syrup Canyon (maple valley) for rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa today. It looks like poo poo, but it feels good. It's a little bumpy, I did what I could. It's my first track and I wasn't concerned with making things look nice.

rFactor (52 MB)
rFactor 2 (69 MB)
Assetto Corsa (70 MB)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GutBomb posted:

I finished Syrup Canyon (maple valley) for rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa today. It looks like poo poo, but it feels good. It's a little bumpy, I did what I could. It's my first track and I wasn't concerned with making things look nice.

rFactor (52 MB)
rFactor 2 (69 MB)
Assetto Corsa (70 MB)

This is awesome, can't wait to try it.

Unrelated, why am I such poo poo with the Mini in DiRT. Jesus.

edit: Wow, you can't quit an event. I started the clubman, massively screwed up the first stage, figured I can do better. So I abandon that event and later the whole championship. Now I'm back at open difficulty. What the gently caress.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 4, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
I was never a fan of the DiRT games, but you guys have convinced me to throw money at it. Stupid fun, even though I keep flying off mountains and barrel-rolling to my death.

Also, joined the league. Need to see how my terribleness competes.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Unrelated, why am I such poo poo with the Mini in DiRT. Jesus.

edit: Wow, you can't quit an event. I started the clubman, massively screwed up the first stage, figured I can do better. So I abandon that event and later the whole championship. Now I'm back at open difficulty. What the gently caress.
If you're doing the championship stuff in an offline career event you do have some chances to restart it, you'll miss out on some bonus money but it's there. If you don't want to do that you can save and quit and you'll get dumped out to the main menu and you can restart the championship event by picking 'resume'.

If you do an online daily event then yes, you can't quit or resume or do anything of that nature.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

real_scud posted:

If you're doing the championship stuff in an offline career event you do have some chances to restart it, you'll miss out on some bonus money but it's there. If you don't want to do that you can save and quit and you'll get dumped out to the main menu and you can restart the championship event by picking 'resume'.

If you do an online daily event then yes, you can't quit or resume or do anything of that nature.

Oh I know about the online event thing, missed a daily because I paused at the very start of a stage, figured "eh I'll do this after work instead" and shut it off. Couldn't restart, and I understand that. But actually having negative career progress in career sucks :(

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Digging through the Steam Discussion I learned a thing: a Dev confirmed that, despite what the UI says, cars in Custom Events do not have upgrades and perform according to vehicle unlocks in career. This further opens the discussion that this might also be the case in Leagues/Online Daily (which the original question did not ask about and the Dev hasn't confirmed/denied).

Just figured I'd give everyone a heads up that you're getting drastically reduced specs than what is showing (look at the specs in career if you want to know what you're actually using). Bought the Group B Peugeot yesterday and, by default, it actually weighs like 2200-some and only has like 374 (?) HP, not 480 HP.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Pretty sure the current Career Events function as: goes up a difficulty level if you're in the top 3 at the end of the previous and goes down a level if you aren't. I kind of wish it didn't and just gave you a choice: I've managed to maintain top three and am now in Elite. Every difficulty increase adds two more stages so I am now going through every rally with ten stages and am trapped in the same car and on the same rally for a really long time.

Get top three in the Open and you'll be bumped up again.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Masters is stupid hard to beat the AI with a 360 controller, so I'm actually looking forward to getting bumped back down.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Joined the Dirtygoons league as Rickotron. I still need to get used to these physics, coming from the old Dirt games, I'm not doing great. But I know it's my mistakes, which makes it fun.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

bUm posted:

Pretty sure the current Career Events function as: goes up a difficulty level if you're in the top 3 at the end of the previous and goes down a level if you aren't. I kind of wish it didn't and just gave you a choice: I've managed to maintain top three and am now in Elite. Every difficulty increase adds two more stages so I am now going through every rally with ten stages and am trapped in the same car and on the same rally for a really long time.

I just got to masters myself, 12 stages per event x 3 events is a bit much. Easily 3.5 hours of driving

Edit: just found out that if you place in the bottom 3, you get demoted. So you can abandon championships over and over to go back to Open if you'd like

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 5, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Yay I'm no longer second to last :neckbeard:

I'm coming for you.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I could give you all a self esteem boost by joining in on the Dirt Rally fun. Still sort of between Dirt Rally and Stock Car Extreme for me. Project cars doesn't look that interesting beyond the graphics. But it is out soon so I'll wait and see what people say about that. Haven't heard much about it, compared to Stock Car Extreme which I keep hearing good things about.

Munko
Jan 14, 2006
Uh Huh
Nailed the first stage to get myself a nice safety net :smuggo: I find it amazing how many people are able to do well in Dirt Rally with a controller, I don't think I could even finish a shakedown using one. Even with a wheel I struggle to be as precise as I'd like.

Torabi posted:

I could give you all a self esteem boost by joining in on the Dirt Rally fun. Still sort of between Dirt Rally and Stock Car Extreme for me. Project cars doesn't look that interesting beyond the graphics. But it is out soon so I'll wait and see what people say about that. Haven't heard much about it, compared to Stock Car Extreme which I keep hearing good things about.

Stock Car Extreme is fantastic as a sim and is really the only game where the AI can provide proper racing. Plus it has the CART 98 mod which is perfection. The trick is to buy both!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The rFactor 2 version is the best. Carrying it over to assetto corsa added a lot of bumps, and I don't know the editing tools for it well enough so the trees are butt ugly and none of the texture blending of the ground(gravel to grass) was carried over.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

The rFactor 2 version is the best. Carrying it over to assetto corsa added a lot of bumps, and I don't know the editing tools for it well enough so the trees are butt ugly and none of the texture blending of the ground(gravel to grass) was carried over.

It's still pretty enjoyable on AC. For some reason it wouldn't work properly (showed up in the launcher but wouldn't actually launch in to the game) if I put it in the tracks folder under My Documents, but was fine in the game directory.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I seem to be at the place in my ability where I need to start confronting my fear of not finishing a race to get better times. Thinking of spending an hour or so on custom events each day just trying to get used to flying as fast as possible instead of playing it safe and working up.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

It's still pretty enjoyable on AC. For some reason it wouldn't work properly (showed up in the launcher but wouldn't actually launch in to the game) if I put it in the tracks folder under My Documents, but was fine in the game directory.

I found the same issue, wasn't sure if it was just that track or any mod track, as previously I'd been putting them all in the game directory. Do you have other mod tracks in the my documents area? if so I'll look into why it's not working.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

I found the same issue, wasn't sure if it was just that track or any mod track, as previously I'd been putting them all in the game directory. Do you have other mod tracks in the my documents area? if so I'll look into why it's not working.

I've tried it once before with another track and it also didn't work, so I don't think it's specific to yours. I'll try a few others this afternoon.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Munko posted:

Nailed the first stage to get myself a nice safety net :smuggo: I find it amazing how many people are able to do well in Dirt Rally with a controller, I don't think I could even finish a shakedown using one. Even with a wheel I struggle to be as precise as I'd like.
I was depressed when I saw 37 seconds down after finishing stage 1 because I felt I had a decent run. I then went to the next screen to see I was a little under 5 seconds off second place and you'd just blown everyone completely out of the water.

I think a big part of the time loss (between goon league and running my elite career event Monte Carlo afterwards) is that TC/SC is murdering ability to get through the ice covered areas since they prevent acceleration until straightening out while you with wheel (and presumably assists off?) can power through without assists repeatedly slowing you to sub-30MPH on the ice. Does anyone else feel this might be the case? If so I will probably resort to switching my assist settings (feel good on the other rallies and tarmac areas) for ice sections in the future.

Dirt Rally seems like it'd still be pretty intense even with a wheel, but that's not in the cards at the moment so I get extra hard mode. :smith:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
The last Dirty Goons season made me fall in love with the E30. That's definitely my favorite car in the game so far.

I played around with some of the replay stuff and edited together my third stage. I think I had the fastest goon time on that stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loARpNONGag

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd so buy that if Project Cars wasn't tomorrow. All that throttle work looks loving fun.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bUm posted:

I was depressed when I saw 37 seconds down after finishing stage 1 because I felt I had a decent run. I then went to the next screen to see I was a little under 5 seconds off second place and you'd just blown everyone completely out of the water.

I think a big part of the time loss (between goon league and running my elite career event Monte Carlo afterwards) is that TC/SC is murdering ability to get through the ice covered areas since they prevent acceleration until straightening out while you with wheel (and presumably assists off?) can power through without assists repeatedly slowing you to sub-30MPH on the ice. Does anyone else feel this might be the case? If so I will probably resort to switching my assist settings (feel good on the other rallies and tarmac areas) for ice sections in the future.

Dirt Rally seems like it'd still be pretty intense even with a wheel, but that's not in the cards at the moment so I get extra hard mode. :smith:

I don't use traction or stability control and I play with a 360 controller. My favorite car is the lancia stratos too.

Sure, you spin out once in a while, but it's not super hard to feather a throttle with a controller or anything.

e: Also I just figured out on the last stage of this last goonleague event that you can restart stages if you gently caress something up particularly badly, I was doing them all one after the other without any restarts up until now, like the online events. I flew off the side of a cliff or something and it was like "restart" and I went, oh, poo poo, well.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 5, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't have time to participate in the latest goon rally. Could the goon rallies possibly be open for longer than 2 days?

Edit: Nevermind! Seen the new rally is similar and open for slightly longer. Still, is it possible to post them for any longer? I dunno if the thread prefers these constant rallies or not, I know atleast one goon prefers it as is so. :shrug:

Also, if anyone wants to take a quick break from Dirt Rally, that Ferrari 288 mod for AC finally rereleased as 2.0, with brand new physics!

Jehde fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 6, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

hopterque posted:

I don't use traction or stability control and I play with a 360 controller. My favorite car is the lancia stratos too.

Sure, you spin out once in a while, but it's not super hard to feather a throttle with a controller or anything.
Have to experiment since I'm definitely driving differently (better) than when I first turned them on since I've weened down aggression to more appropriate levels rather than luck-of-the-drawing my way through some parts of stages. Using a DS3 so the triggers are a bit different than 360 though and RWD seemed really rough. I've been using my Peugeot 205 mostly the last few days though and the current settings are probably overkill for 4WD.

Jehde posted:

I didn't have time to participate in the latest goon rally. Could the goon rallies possibly be open for longer than 2 days?

Edit: Nevermind! Seen the new rally is similar and open for slightly longer. Still, is it possible to post them for any longer? I dunno if the thread prefers these constant rallies or not, I know atleast one goon prefers it as is so. :shrug:
Given that it's up to 42 members, pretty sure a majority haven't been finishing them for one reason or another. Been playing a lot so it hasn't been an issue, but I'd generally agree that they seem to be popping off pretty quickly. Not sure if it's for better or worse: it keeps things moving along so no one forgets about it at least.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, I can't really do more than a stage or two a night, just don't have enough of the sweet spot time between work and too late for a noisy wheel.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
i can add more days to the next ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Something clicked for me tonight, ended up setting the 41st fastest time globally on Monte Carlo w/ a 70's car. I recorded it on my potato for your viewing pleasure

EDIT: wow sorry for the mis-paste, or not since you seem to have enjoyed it http://www.twitch.tv/sneakyness_912/c/6650903

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 7, 2015

• Locked thread